Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 14-05-2021, 05:31 PM   #10651
Itsme
Experienced Member

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
Repatriation flight seats left empty after Australians test positive for COVID-19 in India

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-...eats/100140260
I'm all for it; if tested positive then you miss out, shame some seats remain empty where other potential passengers could have used them.
4 users like this post:
Old 14-05-2021, 05:56 PM   #10652
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officemanager View Post
I'm all for it; if tested positive then you miss out, shame some seats remain empty where other potential passengers could have used them.
Yep, a shocker. But the plane has to fly.
Old 14-05-2021, 06:43 PM   #10653
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
Yep, a shocker. But the plane has to fly.
They need to have a next in line group ready to board if others can't.

There must be hundreds of people just sitting around with a packed suitcase waiting their turn.. ..

Surely there is a better option then just sending the plane back half empty because those allocated can't fly??

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
5 users like this post:
Old 14-05-2021, 07:02 PM   #10654
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

People with "Australian" surnames such as Smith, Warner and Cummins are set to return from India.
The rednecks should be happy with that news.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket...13-p57rt7.html

And they won't even have to pay for their hotel quarantine!
This user likes this post:
Old 14-05-2021, 07:07 PM   #10655
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
They need to have a next in line group ready to board if others can't.

There must be hundreds of people just sitting around with a packed suitcase waiting their turn.. ..

Surely there is a better option then just sending the plane back half empty because those allocated can't fly??

I don’t know the answer to that. From what I gather Qantas had organised and maybe paid for the secure hotel slots to allow regimented 1st and 2nd tests. I assume that you can’t just substitute people in at the last moment.

Dunno...
Old 14-05-2021, 07:30 PM   #10656
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Who is actually mandating the negative tests before boarding? Is it the Gov or the airlines?

A colleague of ours was due to fly back last week, however the airline required her to take a test. 1st test came back positive. Her whole family and close contacts got tested and all came back negative. Her second test came back negative. Got her third test yesterday and it was negative. Too late, missed the flight. Now has to book another flight in July, and has to go through the same process again...good. When asked if this was an Aus Gov requirement, she said it was the airline, not the gov. Is that right?

And if it is a Gov requirement, good, but why couldn't it have been applied at the beginning? Would have avoided all the heart ache of the India ban.
Old 14-05-2021, 07:50 PM   #10657
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Record day for vaccines by NSW Health

NSW Health has recorded its highest number of COVID-19 vaccinations in one day, with 7552 administered across the state on Wednesday. These included 2554 inoculations at the mass vaccination hub at Sydney Olympic Park – the highest number of daily shots given since it opened on Monday.

The total number of COVID-19 shots administered in NSW is now 840,647, with more than 256,000 doses given by NSW Health in total to date.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/...13-p57rlh.html
Old 14-05-2021, 09:21 PM   #10658
HIPO
Al

interesting....... https://medicalupdateonline.com/2021...0in%20Zimbabwe
Old 14-05-2021, 09:29 PM   #10659
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
I would imagine the uptake in vaccination would be higher if we were having deaths like other countries, I also blame the public for the slow uptake as we have too much of laidback attitude at present time.
How often do read, see and hear the authorities pleading for people to get vaccinated.

Hmmm...I know of quite a few people who are sitting back waiting for an better option than the povvo pack AZ jab.

Funny how over 50's politicians all got the Pfizer vaccine.

I notice the govt have put their tail between their legs and organized massive orders of the Moderna vaccine.

Always get your vaccines from the superpower with the best bio weapons programs is my motto.

(It's the red triangle with exclamation mark on the left)
Old 14-05-2021, 10:34 PM   #10660
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
Hmmm...I know of quite a few people who are sitting back waiting for an better option than the povvo pack AZ jab.

I notice the govt have put their tail between their legs and organized massive orders of the Moderna vaccine.

Always get your vaccines from the superpower with the best bio weapons programs is my motto.
Fair call but they could be waiting for a very long time depends on how the vaccines are distributed and who is administering it.
My local GP can only get AZ in limited supply and nothing else in the foreseeable future, 25 million Moderna ordered does not mean they will get it any time soon, after all the federal health officer Paul Kelly did say it was for future use.
Old 14-05-2021, 11:58 PM   #10661
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We have bought 25m Moderna doses. I think we have nearly 200m doses on order across many vaccines yet we are struggling to get it rolled out.

The target was 4m in March and now we are half way into May and just about to hit 3m
Old 15-05-2021, 08:48 AM   #10662
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think we need to brace ourselves for many snap lock downs in the coming months.

Singapore, UK, Fiji all seeing a rise in cases from the hot spot. Singapore back into a month long lock down. UK might delay their full reopening. Fiji have stopped all flights, which means it is unlikely I will get to see my nephew and niece now, as they were due to transit through there in July.

WHO is calling on rich countries to share the vaccines rather than vaccinate their kids.....hope we are all listening this time.
Old 15-05-2021, 11:51 AM   #10663
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
We have bought 25m Moderna doses. I think we have nearly 200m doses on order across many vaccines yet we are struggling to get it rolled out.

The target was 4m in March and now we are half way into May and just about to hit 3m
I think the drip feeding of the vaccination has been purposely done to justify the borders remaining closed.

Other countries have their act together and are planning moderated travel. My German friend says she can access most of Europe if she wants.

Yet we have large medical centres that treat over a thousand patients a week getting their allocation of ..... 50 doses a week...

What did Scomo say?? We have no apparent thirst to travel so we should be happy to stay put??

Yeah... see how long that lasts..

Now they have realised we have no foreign workers to fill all the jobs we can't be bothered doing.

So let's start allowing thousands of people in to serve us and dwell around us but we are expected to sit back and enjoy our own backyard because it's for our own good...

That line will be tolerated for only so long....

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
3 users like this post:
Old 15-05-2021, 12:07 PM   #10664
lumen8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I think the drip feeding of the vaccination has been purposely done to justify the borders remaining closed.
I've been thinking the same thing as a possibility.

Apparently we spend way more abroad than what inbound tourists bring in also, dont know the $ numbers though. If that is the case then closed borders = more money staying in.
Old 15-05-2021, 12:35 PM   #10665
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Data valid as at 00:00 GMT May 14th, 2021.

Note: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting.

7 new cases for Australia and no deaths so the CMR is 3.038%.

1 case and no deaths for NZ so CMR is 0.983% and active cases 18.

The UK had a lower 2,193 cases yesterday and 17 deaths.

Just over 40k new cases in the USA yesterday and 803 deaths sees CMR at 1.780%. Note that the USA is actually minus one day due to time differences.

Other notable points:
Global cases pass 162M, the last 1M in 2 days;
Asia passes 36M cases;

No countries
... recorded new daily highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

No countries move above the 90th percentile for their 10 day average and none drop below.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 15-05-2021, 01:37 PM   #10666
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:

Just not true, where did you get that info? Morrison got Pfizer ..yes, but that was before we had much AZ

Health Minister Greg Hunt had AZ, you can find that without trying. You just create fear when you post what you don't know what you are talking about and try to turn it into a conspiracy.

2 users like this post:
Old 15-05-2021, 01:55 PM   #10667
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I think the drip feeding of the vaccination has been purposely done to justify the borders remaining closed..........
Think you are being slightly generous there. A very wise man once said to me, if you aren't sure if its a conspiracy or a cock up, always go with the cock up.

I think they looked at how smoothly flu shots are done very year, and underestimated the work required. Obviously also underestimated the reliability of the supply chain. The economy was a side effect, but may as well run with it.

Quote:
Let me guess, are they in the health sector? Cos a lot of friends and relatives I know who work in the health sector are also reluctant to take it.
Old 15-05-2021, 03:01 PM   #10668
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

So, the only continent we haven't looked at in detail is Europe.

The long term graph for the continent is first where the early trend wasn't too bad with the continent remaining under 50k cases/day but that rapidly escalated from late September to then peak at over 300k/day by late October and although the countermeasures put in place by some countries were effective, case numbers remained above 200k/day (ignoring the weekend drops) until late January.

The graph for this year so far drills in on the latter part of the picture to show that apart from a small surge in case numbers during March, the overall trend this year to date has been downward and no countries have recorded a daily case high in at least 30 days (Germany) and some like Belgium and Montenegro are over 196 days since their peak.

Looking at some countries in more detail:

Albania
A fairly typical European graph with a reasonably small first wave early followed by a bigger 2nd wave between October-December and an even bigger wave from late January until late March which peaked in early February but has been in decline ever since. Like most European countries their current 10-day average is well below the 90th percentile.

Austria
Another fairly typical European graph with a reasonably small first wave early followed by a bigger 2nd wave between October-December but their third wave started in mid February and was smaller than the 2nd although it is it hasn't reduced as much as most other countries. Their current 10-day average is well below the 90th percentile but still over 1k/day.

Belarus
Less typical as they had a reasonably big first wave early followed by a much bigger 2nd wave that started in October, peaked in mid-January and also hasn't reduced as much as most other countries. Their current 10-day average is well below the 90th percentile but still over 1k/day.

Belgium
Quite a different pattern they had a reasonably late first wave in October which peaked at the end of October and reduced quite quickly although the trend line has just started to head upward again and they maybe heading for another. Their current 10-day average is well below the 90th percentile but still almost 3k/day.

Bosnia
A bit more normal a reasonably except their second and third waves were similarly sized with the latter starting in early March, peaking in early April before declining again although the trend line is only just downward. Their current 10-day average is well below the 90th percentile.

Bulgaria
Pretty much identical to Bosnia except the peak of the second wave was fractionally later. Their current 10-day average is well below the 90th percentile.

Croatia
Also fairly similar except their second wave (and smaller) was much later as it started in mid March and is probably still going although the current 10-day average is well below the 90th percentile.

Czechia
A bit different as they had very little early in the pandemic but have had three subsequent waves of similar size with the last starting in February, peaking in mid March before declining sharply. The current 10-day average is a long way below the 90th percentile.

Denmark
Also a bit different as they had very little early in the pandemic only one big (and long) wave starting in October, peaking in mid December and although it has dropped since, it's not a steep decline. The current 10-day average is below the 90th percentile but still almost 1k/day.

Finland
A bit more like the rest of Europe they have had three waves with each bigger than the previous and the last one started in late January, peaked in mid March and has declined since. The current 10-day average is well below the 90th percentile.

France
A bit more like the rest of Europe they have had three waves but the second was much bigger than the the other two. The last one started in early January, peaked in early April and although it has declined since the trend line is still upward. The current 10-day average is well below the 90th percentile but still over 16k/day.

Germany
A bit more like the rest of Europe they have had three waves with the first very early in the pandemic and each bigger than the previous one. The last one started in mid March, peaked in mid April and although it has declined since, the trend line is still slightly upward. The current 10-day average is below the 90th percentile but still over 13k/day and 1 of the last 10 days has been above that mark.

Greece
They have had only had two waves with the with the latter much bigger than the former - starting in mid February, peaking in late March and although it has declined since, the trend line is still upward. The current 10-day average is just below the 90th percentile but still over 2.3k/day and 4 of the last 10 days have been above that mark.

Hungary
They also have had only had two waves with the latter much bigger than the former - starting in mid February, peaking in late March and it has declined since. The current 10-day average is well below the 90th percentile.

Italy
A bit more like the rest of Europe they have had three waves with the first very early in the pandemic, the second bigger than the first and the third smaller than the second. The last one started in mid February, peaked in mid March and has declined since. The current 10-day average is below the 90th percentile but still over 8.6k/day.

Sweden
Quite different from the rest of Europe, they had a relatively mild first wave but have probably been in their second wave ever since although it started in October last year and peaked in December, the trend line continues upward and case numbers remain high. Their current 10-day average is actually below the 90th percentile but 1 of the last 10 days has been over it and case numbers are still running at 4.8k/day or almost 50 per 100k of population - one of the highest rates still being recorded. To put that in perspective, even India which is in the grip of a disaster is only at 27/100k although both the UK and USA peaked higher during their worst periods at 68 and 60 respectively. Mind you, it should be noted that Sweden peaked even higher with a 10 day average of 72!

United Kingdom
A bit more like the rest of Europe they have had three waves with the first very early in the pandemic and each larger than the previous one. The last (massive) one started in mid December, peaked in early January and has declined sharply since after lockdowns were reintroduced. The current 10-day average is well below the 90th percentile.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Last edited by russellw; 15-05-2021 at 03:16 PM.
4 users like this post:
Old 15-05-2021, 05:46 PM   #10669
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Let me guess, are they in the health sector? Cos a lot of friends and relatives I know who work in the health sector are also reluctant to take it.
Quite the opposite with the health workers I know who are annoyed not getting it done sooner than later.
Old 15-05-2021, 06:00 PM   #10670
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Quite the opposite with the health workers I know who are annoyed not getting it done sooner than later.
Same. A number of aged care workers and health care professionals in my family and they couldn't get it done quick enough. Why would you wait?
Old 15-05-2021, 06:13 PM   #10671
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeh dunno. Its the elderly who are very keen to get it. But the young health care workers want to wait. They aren't anti vaxxers, but just reluctant to be first in line. And I'm surprised their workplace are not enforcing the jabs!

NSW and Vic now offering Pfizer to "priority" 2Bs, even though 1a and 1b aren't complete. That kinda suggests that those qualified for Pfizers, at the front of the queue, are not coming forward.
Old 15-05-2021, 06:18 PM   #10672
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Herd immunity appears unlikely for COVID-19, but CDC says vaccinated people can ditch masks in most settings

Quote:
When COVID-19 first began spreading, public health and medical experts began talking about the need for the U.S. to reach herd immunity to stop the coronavirus from spreading. Experts have estimated that between 60% and 90% of people in the U.S. would need to be vaccinated for that to happen. Only about 35% of the population has been fully vaccinated, and yet the CDC said on May 14, 2021 that fully vaccinated people can lose their masks in most indoor and outdoor settings.

An important question now arises: What happens if we don’t reach herd immunity? Dr. William Petri is a professor of infectious diseases at the University of Virginia who helps lead the global program to achieve herd immunity for polio as the chair of the World Health Organization’s Polio Research Committee. He answers questions here about herd immunity and COVID-19.
https://theconversation.com/herd-imm...ettings-160228
Old 15-05-2021, 07:44 PM   #10673
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:
Yeh dunno. Its the elderly who are very keen to get it. But the young health care workers want to wait. They aren't anti vaxxers, but just reluctant to be first in line. And I'm surprised their workplace are not enforcing the jabs!

NSW and Vic now offering Pfizer to "priority" 2Bs, even though 1a and 1b aren't complete. That kinda suggests that those qualified for Pfizers, at the front of the queue, are not coming forward.
yeah it is the old "it won't happen to me mentality"

You could say we have shot ourselves in the foot by controlling the virus so well. We need a good outbreak and then you will get the same people whinging that the vaccination queues are too long. There was literally no one there when I got my first shot.

The explanation the vaccinating nurse gave was so reassuring about the clotting to. Immune response, if you get a headache and a panadol doesn't get rid of it, go see your doctor, they know exactly how to treat it, it is just not treated the same way as regular clotting. Wish the media would pick up that bit. Anyone notice how few are now dying from it?

Got a text confirming that I was feeling well too, with promised follow up it I felt at all unwell. They have got this bit right.

Old 15-05-2021, 07:57 PM   #10674
Trendseeker

Quote:

That isn’t my experience. Two health care workers in my family, and both have had the Pfizer jabs. They say that most of their colleagues have had it too. I was at the Homebush Vaccination Centre on Thursday and I’d estimate that during the time I was there about two thirds of the people were in the 30 to 50 age group.

I agree with your last paragraph; they are widening the qualifying criteria, but young people are taking up the offer.
Old 15-05-2021, 08:37 PM   #10675
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trendseeker View Post
That isn’t my experience. Two health care workers in my family, and both have had the Pfizer jabs. They say that most of their colleagues have had it too.
I'll have guess that your family members (and their colleagues) are residents of NSW?

If so, then yes the Pfizer jab is available to them. Different story in VIC, where T3rminator resides. Greg Hunt early in Feb announced on Twitter that 10 million doses of the Pfizer vaccine was secured, but only for the "Liberal" state. I'm guessing that's why he attached a "Liberal" logo to his announcement instead of the "Australian Government" logo.

https://twitter.com/GregHuntMP/statu...77406189051904

edit: Seems like Greg Hunt has had a change of mind. Here's his announcement from yesterday on 25 million doses of the Moderna COVID-19 vaccines being secured. Spot the difference.

https://twitter.com/GregHuntMP/statu...34535194009602

Last edited by Tickford.; 15-05-2021 at 08:51 PM.
Old 15-05-2021, 09:06 PM   #10676
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickford. View Post
I'll have guess that your family members (and their colleagues) are residents of NSW?

If so, then yes the Pfizer jab is available to them. Different story in VIC, where T3rminator resides. Greg Hunt early in Feb announced on Twitter that 10 million doses of the Pfizer vaccine was secured, but only for the "Liberal" state. I'm guessing that's why he attached a "Liberal" logo to his announcement instead of the "Australian Government" logo.

https://twitter.com/GregHuntMP/statu...77406189051904

edit: Seems like Greg Hunt has had a change of mind. Here's his announcement from yesterday on 25 million doses of the Moderna COVID-19 vaccines being secured. Spot the difference.

https://twitter.com/GregHuntMP/statu...34535194009602
No it is not a different story in Vic. I even got accidentally booked in to one. Line full of healthcare people in it. You do know that the Pfizer is open to Healthcare professionals in Vic and that they are pumping it daily at hospitals?

Old 15-05-2021, 09:09 PM   #10677
leesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeked View Post
it is just not treated the same way as regular clotting. Wish the media would pick up that bit. Anyone notice how few are now dying from it?
Which articles are you referring to? 'Cause the media have been pretty clear on everything clot-related as far as I can see. I've seen no embellishment of the causes/risks/chances of getting a clot.

Btw I don't think there's any data to say that we're better at treating them now. The roll-out came to a halt for the age group most at-risk of clots. It's a bit of a jump to say that the (supposed. haven't fact checked) reduced number of deaths must be due to better treatment of clots rather than reduced numbers of the at-risk age group getting vaccinated.

Old 15-05-2021, 09:53 PM   #10678
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The order of things is a bit confusing now, but I believe this is how it goes.

1a - Pfizer

1b - was Pfizer, but some younger ones are being given AZ. A cousin of mine working for the royal flying doctors was supposed to get Pfizer, but ended up being given AZ. She is one of the very few that was told "take it or look for another job".

2a - was Pfizer, but now AZ

2b - was AZ, but now Pfizer, and I guess possibly Moderna.

NSW has asked 2bs to start registering for their Pfizer jabs, I don't think its actually available yet? Could be wrong.

Vic will be providing Pfizer to "priority" 2bs starting Monday. These include under 50s "Adults with specified health or mental health conditions" and "High-risk workers such as emergency and defence personnel or meat/seafood processing workers"
Old 15-05-2021, 09:57 PM   #10679
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Victoria to expand Pfizer vaccine rollout to eligible people aged under 50 from Monday

https://www.9news.com.au/national/co...7-82c6d62ab953

Very good info graphics provided on where each state is at.

Victoria no 1 (sorry just had to....)

If you look at the week by week analysis, it looks like NSW don't do any jabs on Sundays. VIC, SA, WA, TAS, ACT seem to do 7 days a week. NT and QLD have a couple of days off a week.

Last edited by T3rminator; 15-05-2021 at 10:05 PM.
Old 15-05-2021, 10:04 PM   #10680
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

NSW #1 in fully dosed people.

I’m resigned to getting dosed. I’d prefer not to, as I have low confidence that all risks - long and short term - are quantified, but can see that “ vaccine status” will become a quasi-legal instrument of discrimination akin to flu shots. Speaking personally, not a fan of crowds and the vaccination hubs definitely put me off. I’ll probably seek a time slot at the local medical centre, or if they let vets do it I’d go there.
Closed Thread