The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-02-2011, 04:59 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation Worlds First iPad Equipped Car

World's first iPad-equipped car
Matt Campbell
February 10, 2011

Range Rover's top of the line model to include removable iPads as standard issue.

Limited edition version of the Range Rover luxury 4WD becomes world's first vehicle to be offered with iPads as standard.

Forget iPod connectivity. Land Rover has taken the car industry's association with Apple products to the next level after becoming the first brand to fit a vehicle with iPads as standard.

Two of the electronic giant's popular portable tablet devices are incorporated into the front seatbacks of the company's most exclusive Range Rover yet, replacing the traditional DVD screens typically found in high-end luxury vehicles.

The Range Rover Autobiography Ultimate Edition's encased iPads flip up when rear-seat passengers want to watch movies, listen to music or browse the internet, and they are removable.

The office-style back seat also adds new console extensions with Apple keyboards, aluminium laptop table and drinks chiller.

Although the iPads, which start at $629, come free with the new Range Rover, it's unlikely buyers will consider this a bargain.

The aptly named Range Rover Ultimate, which features a handcrafted leather interior and yacht-inspired wooden cargo floor, is likely to cost more than $250,000 if it is imported to Australia.

Last edited by csv8; 08-06-2011 at 11:48 AM.
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2011, 07:44 PM   #2
Mickxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Where will all this end ?.. Going from your nice air conned house with all its `widgets and gadgets` To your nice ( insert above comment ) car ?.
Whatever happened to just going for a nice cruise with the window down,radio off, just playing `gary guttergrip`
Maybe i.m just getting old
Old 14-02-2011, 01:56 PM   #3
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

At least there would not be any complaining from the kids on long trips.
Old 14-02-2011, 06:27 PM   #4
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Stupid.
onfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2011, 10:35 PM   #5
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Can I have them replaced with better quality, better built and just better Android tablets please?
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2011, 11:57 PM   #6
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd much rather have the 397 iPads over forking out that much for a Land Rover.
Old 15-02-2011, 12:04 AM   #7
Wise
DWF00N

I think its funny how so many industries jumped on the apple bandwagon with the iphone and now, evidently, the ipad.

You know I still cant think of something I would use the ipad for that i dont get out of my iphone or my laptop.

Now for sale - 30k
Wise is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2011, 12:06 AM   #8
buggo
[BU66OS]

wether you like it or not, I can see this (not ipads themselves but similar products) being part of a standard everyday car in the decade/s to come.
It's just a way to make the next model better than the last. Started with disc brakes, ABS, TSC, ESP, etc. Same as aircon, cd players, ipod cables, now touchscreens.
Just car evolution.

BA XR8 Manual
buggo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2011, 08:39 AM   #9
dags41v
Black 2006 XR8

Now I need to buy some boat shoes to wear in my Range Rover, where will it end?
dags41v is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2011, 02:34 PM   #10
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

BMW 5 series has sensors that tell you if a car parking space is big enough for your 5 series, as you drive up to it!!!!!!
Old 15-02-2011, 02:40 PM   #11
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise
I think its funny how so many industries jumped on the apple bandwagon with the iphone and now, evidently, the ipad.

You know I still cant think of something I would use the ipad for that i dont get out of my iphone or my laptop.
I originally thought that too, I have a non-apple laptop but dont have an iphone and the ipad comes in handy for general browsing, photos, video etc...its actually quite handy.

The flip side now is that I have just about banned it from my 2y.o because he loves the thing, we use it on rainy days etc. Its amazing to watch a kid use it, he knows how to boot up youtube, find favourites, and what old mickey mouse episodes..freaked me out the first time, I never showed him how to do it.

But I have also got many kids educational games on it too.

I generally despise Apple stuff, but I do use the pad a bit..the company is VERY good at product placement too. This is no different than having dvd screens in the back.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane

Last edited by Polyal; 15-02-2011 at 02:46 PM.
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2011, 05:37 PM   #12
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have you tried an aPad (Android based Tablet PC) there are many of these available at under 30% of the cost.
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2011, 07:19 PM   #13
macca13

Probably cheaper and more useful than seatback dvd screens that most top end cars come with.
macca13 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2011, 07:32 PM   #14
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

I agree with the Android fanboys, if you ABSOLUTELY have to fit it with some sort of portable media device, Android is the way to go.

I am beginning to really hate anything Apple, not because its a shitte product (the iPod is an ok bit of kit), but because of the reverence people have placed in them and how they have become purveyors of status symbols. It's sickening
charles_wif_xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2011, 07:35 PM   #15
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
The flip side now is that I have just about banned it from my 2y.o because he loves the thing, we use it on rainy days etc. Its amazing to watch a kid use it, he knows how to boot up youtube, find favourites, and what old mickey mouse episodes..freaked me out the first time, I never showed him how to do it.
My 2yo is exactly the same. She totally owns the ipad now. Perfect advertisement for how to build a UI. If a 2yo can operate it without instruction then you are doing it right.
Old 15-02-2011, 08:23 PM   #16
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The bit I find funny is, 10 years.. and even worse 20 years down the track when these cars are still likely floating around.. theres going to be these old chunky, out of date machines still stuck in the back of the seats.

Think, imagine an original Game-boy drilled into the headrest of your EA Falcon in 2011.
onfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2011, 08:29 PM   #17
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

Does anyone remember 8-track?
charles_wif_xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2011, 09:24 PM   #18
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_wif_xf
ahh..yes and the cassette deck, and just an AM radio!!!!!
Remember when you turned on the car radio and you had to wait for the valves to warm up!!!!!
Old 15-02-2011, 09:46 PM   #19
GT-E

Range Rover FAIL
The Ipad2 is out in 2 months, the current iPad is underpowered 4:3 aspect and is already very outdated.
The new seried of Tab are 10x more advanced than the current ipad and will date this car berfore it hits our shores. The new ipad is also meant to be 16:10 aspect so it will not fit in the RR's headrests.
I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab and it is a great piece of kit and is heaps better than any ipad.
Old 15-02-2011, 10:10 PM   #20
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_wif_xf
Hell yeah.

And I still buy and listen to vinyl records.

And listen to the AM band on the wireless!
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2011, 10:15 PM   #21
Werd.
nou

Chuck an ipod in a car and it makes the news? Alright.
Werd. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2011, 12:51 AM   #22
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Funny people hating the iPad, and giving great comments about how much better their iPad copy devices are that I have never even heard of.

Its like when I ride my Harley people will often comment how their Yamaha Harley copy has better brakes, or an extra 5 horse power, but at the end of the day I am on a Harley and they are riding jap crap, they are wanna bees trying to look like someone riding a Harley.

I look at the cheap iPad copies the same way, bought my iPad ages ago and use it daily, and no its NOT a phone, its NOT a Lap top, its NOT a desk top, and its NOT a camera, its an iPad!!!!!!

I did not buy my bike to tow a caravan around Australia, and I did not buy my iPad to replace my lap top or desk top or phone or camera, I bought it to use as an iPad.

I use an iMac desk top computer as well as a 2 year old iPhone that has never missed a beat, when I find a better computer I will buy it.
XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2011, 09:12 PM   #23
ZDI-970
Formerly D3v[]

it definitely not the first car to have an ipad, the first production car with an ipad yes though.. i saw a bagged merc with an ipad in the dash at the colac car show, it fitted in nicely...
ZDI-970 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2011, 10:08 PM   #24
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v[]
it definitely not the first car to have an ipad, the first production car with an ipad yes though.. i saw a bagged merc with an ipad in the dash at the colac car show, it fitted in nicely...
BMW had it as an option on their cars in October last year. And I"m sure that since then others have followed.
http://www.intomobile.com/2010/10/01...ne-ipad-docks/

The funny version of the BMW holders (don't get any ideas)
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=450859

Basically just a pouch to secure the iPad and for the same reasons - easier to wire in then a normal headrest monitor and it made use of a hyped new consumer gadget (I hope that the owners remember to take the Ipads with them when they leave the car otherwise theives will).
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2011, 11:14 PM   #25
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfire
The bit I find funny is, 10 years.. and even worse 20 years down the track when these cars are still likely floating around.. theres going to be these old chunky, out of date machines still stuck in the back of the seats.

Think, imagine an original Game-boy drilled into the headrest of your EA Falcon in 2011.

This is so true.

But the people who buy them new will think it's cool. And is 10 years probably will have a different car anyway so it's not their concern.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2011, 11:28 PM   #26
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hyundai were also giving owners of their luxury car, the Genisis, an iPad as an owners manual. While it wasn't integrated into the car like this, technically it was equipped with an iPad too. Regardless, many companies are embracing third party technology, wether it be from Apple or anyone else. Yes, it will date, but this is the first step towards integrating our daily technology into our cars.
Old 17-02-2011, 03:27 PM   #27
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

What I find funny about the iPad/iCopy debate, is if Range Rover had of said...

"The Range Rover Autobiography Ultimate Edition's encased Multi-media flip up unit when rear-seat passengers want to watch movies, listen to music or browse the internet, and they are removable."

Most people would have said that's cool, hope we have that in the FG2.

Chuck in the A word and the supportors scream it's awesome and the detractors scream it's a over hyped piece of crap!

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2011, 03:38 PM   #28
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Meh. Would have preferred they just had a USB adapter so that people can stick in whatever device they want - update the head unit with firmware to support future growth of handheld devices.

I have an iPhone, an iPod and an Android Phone. Give *me* the choice about what device I want to hook up in my car, not an Apple integration kit - given they're not even the majority market share.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2011, 11:57 PM   #29
RAREV8
Previously ScottishXC

Android products are not simply better than Apple products- it really depends upon what you use them for.
I have had PC's since the dawn of time, now have a Mac.Is it better? Yes. In every respect for what I use it for....graphics, browsing, multi-tasking etc.
So....having used an iTouch and various iPods for years I have one system, one bunch of apps and one interface that they all speak to.
I do like the Android products but it would be pointless for me to get one for this reason. With regards to the iPad advantages over an iPhone.......totally different devices-ones a phone with a cool little screen, ones a fully functioning computer with a massive screen which I can use for business doing demonstrations, showing catalogues etc. additionally, it is the cheapest and best web based control system for my home theatre....bar none.
There will always be nae-sayers and fanboys but there will also be folk who simply use whichever product fulfils their criteria best...apple or android, ford or holden.

BJ
Gilesie
XAGTCoupe
Pilch
Aussie_afroman
Donut King
Bad Boy Benny
BAWITHLOT
Greenmachine
Pinkbits
CUZ351
OhioXB
Falconunbelievable
4VXC
Uncleraggy

FG G6 Ego, tech pack, Tropic gold 1973 Landau, Cosmic blue 1975 P5 LTD....long term project
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Im just bored of the single/narrow minded...
RAREV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post