Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-01-2009, 02:03 AM   #1
ehast13
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Most underrated car

I've seen a few threads around forums talking about the most overrated car. I haven't seen one talking about underrated ones. These cars can be good but often bagged out by the uninformed. Or they may be good cars that just fly under the radar.

I reckon the 2 series (1974 - 1993) VOLVO was a great car. Reliable, great brakes, reasonable handling, plenty of go from the stock 4cyl.

I've owned 5 over the years. My first was a 242gt. It ran 16.5 second quarter miles all day (1979). It was faster than any of the six cylinder falcons and commodores of the day. Quicker than a 323i beemer.

The only commodores to beat it over the quarter (until vl turbo) were the HDT cars. even vk efi manuals only matched it.

Had a stocko 1981 2.3 auto 4door. It ran mid 17's all day. In the late seventies, early eighties vb/vc auto commodores couldn't get within a coo ee
of it

The brakes were great. 4 piston calipers up front, twins up back. Way bigger than a commodore, more room inside than just about anything other than s class mercs and falcons. 30mpg on the highway in a manual. predictable handling that left the xa - xf falcons behind and wasn't shamed by commodore.

They did real well in production car racing and in 1979 a stocko one was entered at bathurst. it even ran road tyres(Uniroyal wildcats). it lapped in 2:57 and topped out 214kph down conrod. That was good pace for a stocko four cylinder - xt gt/327 monaro pace!
Many remember the 'bloody volvo' in that race, but it finished and (although it didn't have time to complete 1000kms) it completed over 500miles quicker than 1967,68,69 races. On time, it would have been just off the podium in the 1970 race - and by that stage those cars were using race tyres.

In production car racing, they left behind many v8 commodores, 280zx's and even v8 falcons. They usually beat the bmws and it was only the rx7s that consistenly beat them. I always had my ford but I have a certain respect for the 2 series volvo. I'd love to have one again.

For my wife/daughter I'd be happy to see them in one again. I never had a trouble with any of them. I once left one go 30,000k between oil changes.

My father had one too. It did 650,000 k and never had the head off!

To throw a spanner in the works, I had an ea s pac. It was a five speed 1988 model. I had a great run with it too.

I know that not everyone will have positive stories about volvos or ea falcons but, I'd love to know what cars are actually better than their reputation.

ehast13 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2009, 02:37 AM   #2
homegrown
hotshot

I was thinking Volvo too when i seen the title of the thread. ONly because I remember an old clip on tv, and you would'nt pick it as your first choice as a race car tho but they were caning the crap out of it rallying it. looked like it went the distance.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:38 AM   #3
zx10

Leyland p76 was a good car (car of the year in 73 "wheels magazine"). A friend of my dads had a force 7 (the 2 door one) and a targa florio. Very cool cars indeed, I remember dad telling me stories of the p76 out running the cops back in the day. Also fitting a 44 gallon drum in the boot was a plus in the 70s.
zx10 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2009, 03:39 AM   #4
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The old SAAB 900 turbo.

A mate picked on up for 3 grand about 5 years ago. motor, box and diff were bullet proof.

On the dyno it ran rich (very) so he put on a schweitzer turbo on (bigger than the one on there) upped the boost with a tee valve type boost controller and now some where in Darwin there is a late eighties Saab sleeper killing everything it comes across.

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
schnoods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2009, 03:41 AM   #5
old_mate
Smash the Boost

a mate has one of those 242 or 240? volvos with a 302 in it. Sweet as.

1971 Fairmont Sedan

1974 SWB F100

Keyboard Warrior - A Person who, being unable to express his anger through physical violence (owning to their physical weakness, lack of bravery and/or conviction in real life), instead manifests said emotions through the text-based medium of the internet, usually in the form of aggressive writing that the Keyboard Warrior would not (for reasons previously mentioned) be able to give form to in real life.
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2009, 11:20 AM   #6
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd say the TJ Magna VRX or Ralliart were better than their reputation. 163kw or 180kw aussie built 3.5L engine. From memory the first VRX appeared around 2000, and I believe from reviews that they used to give 5.0Ls a run for their money.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2009, 11:27 AM   #7
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

oldschool rear drive corollas. slow, but incredibly fun to throw around, and near indestructable.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:19 PM   #8
Dezza
Parts bin special

I drive what is a seriously underrated car. People hear the letters EA and immediately think blown head gaskets, worn out bodywork, and lack of power.

In CFi form, it does lack power, but with MPi and a 5 speed manual, they are actually one of the quicker e-series, mostly due to their lighter weight. They are easy to upgrade as well. Parts are cheap. They are damn good fun to drive, and aren't as troublesome as people think.

The head gasket issues are no worse on EA than they are on EL for example. Condition of bodywork depends on how well it's looked after, but I've found they still look good for their age, considering the earliest EAs are 20 years old now.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2009, 01:26 PM   #9
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezza!
People hear the letters EA and immediately think blown head gaskets.
Sounds like my EA. 3 head gaskets in as many years. Yup, an awesome feat of engineering is the old EA. :
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2009, 01:30 PM   #10
Dezza
Parts bin special

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXR
Sounds like my EA. 3 head gaskets in as many years. Yup, an awesome feat of engineering is the old EA. :
Mine did it's first and only at 220,000kms. My uncle's EL on the other hand has done 3 in the last 5 years though. Funny that. If you get the head machined, they should last a lot longer than a year.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2009, 01:38 PM   #11
68XTFairmont

I have an ea s/pack 5 speed thats done 320k and it kicks serious butt, The body on it is in almost mint condition, the interior is mint condition and the thing is cheap as to run. One of the best $500 cooners I have ever owned

Forgot, It needs an exhaust if anyone out there has 1 laying around lol
Old 04-01-2009, 01:46 PM   #12
Mark^^
Two-Spirits

If this refers to any car then for me it is/was the Jeep J10 It was heads and shoulders above the equivalent Japanese 4x4’s and the Land Rover. Here is some information on the Jeep CJ10.

This was mine many years ago:

At home when building our house:

In Brisbane:

I drove this old beast right up and down the east coast from Melbourne to Cairns a number of times, transported stock in it, and apart from needing filling with petrol ever 250 to 300 km she went anywhere I asked. Down side was the handbrake never worked (but neither do BA or Territory), sparkplugs cost a fortune, and the gear stick vibrated so much I always had bruised knees.
Mark^^ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2009, 01:51 PM   #13
Dodge
i like to be stroked

the charger, had so much to offer but never was a pick of the crop. i had a VH 1971 charger with a worked 340 V8 the engine was bullit proof, i wish the car was rust proof lol
Old 04-01-2009, 01:54 PM   #14
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezza!
I drive what is a seriously underrated car. People hear the letters EA and immediately think blown head gaskets, worn out bodywork, and lack of power.

In CFi form, it does lack power, but with MPi and a 5 speed manual, they are actually one of the quicker e-series, mostly due to their lighter weight. They are easy to upgrade as well. Parts are cheap. They are damn good fun to drive, and aren't as troublesome as people think.

The head gasket issues are no worse on EA than they are on EL for example. Condition of bodywork depends on how well it's looked after, but I've found they still look good for their age, considering the earliest EAs are 20 years old now.
I think it got its repuation when it was first realeased but most of the issues were fixed pretty quickly. I owned an EA CFi manual as my second car and it was reliable as and I punished it being a young P plater :eclipsee_ .

Head gaskets are an Eseries thing so its not just EA. The lack of power was more due to the 3 spd auto than the engine. My CF engine was ok in manual form.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2009, 02:12 PM   #15
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehast13
I've seen a few threads around forums talking about the most overrated car. I haven't seen one talking about underrated ones. These cars can be good but often bagged out by the uninformed. Or they may be good cars that just fly under the radar.

I reckon the 2 series (1974 - 1993) VOLVO was a great car. Reliable, great brakes, reasonable handling, plenty of go from the stock 4cyl.

I've owned 5 over the years. My first was a 242gt. It ran 16.5 second quarter miles all day (1979). It was faster than any of the six cylinder falcons and commodores of the day. Quicker than a 323i beemer.

The only commodores to beat it over the quarter (until vl turbo) were the HDT cars. even vk efi manuals only matched it.

Had a stocko 1981 2.3 auto 4door. It ran mid 17's all day. In the late seventies, early eighties vb/vc auto commodores couldn't get within a coo ee
of it

The brakes were great. 4 piston calipers up front, twins up back. Way bigger than a commodore, more room inside than just about anything other than s class mercs and falcons. 30mpg on the highway in a manual. predictable handling that left the xa - xf falcons behind and wasn't shamed by commodore.

They did real well in production car racing and in 1979 a stocko one was entered at bathurst. it even ran road tyres(Uniroyal wildcats). it lapped in 2:57 and topped out 214kph down conrod. That was good pace for a stocko four cylinder - xt gt/327 monaro pace!
Many remember the 'bloody volvo' in that race, but it finished and (although it didn't have time to complete 1000kms) it completed over 500miles quicker than 1967,68,69 races. On time, it would have been just off the podium in the 1970 race - and by that stage those cars were using race tyres.

In production car racing, they left behind many v8 commodores, 280zx's and even v8 falcons. They usually beat the bmws and it was only the rx7s that consistenly beat them. I always had my ford but I have a certain respect for the 2 series volvo. I'd love to have one again.

For my wife/daughter I'd be happy to see them in one again. I never had a trouble with any of them. I once left one go 30,000k between oil changes.

My father had one too. It did 650,000 k and never had the head off!

To throw a spanner in the works, I had an ea s pac. It was a five speed 1988 model. I had a great run with it too.

I know that not everyone will have positive stories about volvos or ea falcons but, I'd love to know what cars are actually better than their reputation.
Haha, got nothing on Dad's current car, 160,000km interval in between last service to the next, he got them all up to 40,000km, next was at 200,000km, car was running like crap, all he did was put fuel in it and top the oil up which wasn't even the right one. The car was running like crap at the end of it but it still went! There was a massive build up of sludge in the sump which they had to fix, $2000+ later with all other required things and it runs like new. Testament to Mazda reliability
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2009, 02:32 PM   #16
needaXYGT
AU II XR8

Volvo
needaXYGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2009, 02:44 PM   #17
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_mate
a mate has one of those 242 or 240? volvos with a 302 in it. Sweet as.
I can put 2 of these posts together as I knew a guy who had a 240 Volvo fitted with a 4.4L V8 out of the P76.

I agree with Dezza the EA isn't as bad as it's reputation makes you believe. I had one, an EAII CFI auto, that never did a head gasket and never had any issues with the 4spd auto. Was a good car that one.

As for saying it's underrated, that I'm not sure of

The XF, reliable car and quick and powerful for it's time. Also the mid 90's Magnas were great cars..

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2009, 02:48 PM   #18
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
I'd say the TJ Magna VRX or Ralliart were better than their reputation. 163kw or 180kw aussie built 3.5L engine. From memory the first VRX appeared around 2000, and I believe from reviews that they used to give 5.0Ls a run for their money.

Better yet, the All Wheel Drive ones actually handle. I may replace my EF with one. The 380s were a fine car as well. If it was released earlier, and had export potential, MMAL might still produce cars here.

Other than that, the Eunos 30x wasn't a bad car. When they were new, they kept up with my first XR6. Drank like a fish, however.

I'll also throw in, Volvo make great cars, but many people don't even consider them because of their reputation. A bit like Mitsubishi.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2009, 03:13 PM   #19
RSgerry
Well hello Mr Fancypants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
Better yet, the All Wheel Drive ones actually handle. I may replace my EF with one. The 380s were a fine car as well. If it was released earlier, and had export potential, MMAL might still produce cars here.
Was also thinking of the 380. Had one as a hire car in August in Victoria and was quite impressed. Not a bad looker, IMO, went nicely and seemed well put together. Hugely overpriced initially which really was the last nail in the coffin for MMAL. Also, and being a little biased, but the Mondeo (not auto) was a good car as well. Not a brilliant looker, but mine has done 190000km, serviced every 10k and drives sensationally well. And cheap to buy as well.
2012 Ford Focus ST
RSgerry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2009, 04:33 PM   #20
ea90gl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Perhaps the FG as one of the underrated machines? Im sure its only the ford fans that realise how good they are but can you really say the rest of them out there know what they are like. Anyway I would definately give credit to the EA, as usual they are frowned upon by the ones that jump on the "All EA's are rubbish" bandwagon without actually owning one. and chances are if they did have a dud it probably wasnt looked after and the car blamed for developing problems. Seen and had many that have been tough as nails and only require the usual for the amount of kilometres they've travelled. The Magnas are actually a great car, I know two families which have been Magna freaks and they are alot better than what they are made out to be. One example was a TJ? 97 model which was bought at 320 000KM for cheap, was well maintained and this particluar car is still going with 380 000km on the dial and has only required routine services. Not bad at all

Last edited by ea90gl; 04-01-2009 at 04:38 PM.
ea90gl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2009, 05:11 PM   #21
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hmm.. im looking forward to the "most overrated car" thread...

Old 04-01-2009, 05:15 PM   #22
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ea90gl
Perhaps the FG as one of the underrated machines? Im sure its only the ford fans that realise how good they are but can you really say the rest of them out there know what they are like .......
I dont think they are underated as they have won just about every accolade from all motoring bodies ....... its just that they havn't sold as many as they should have! I do agree that they are FORDS best kept secret!

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2009, 05:20 PM   #23
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
I wouldn't even want to go there! There will be blood ......

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2009, 05:26 PM   #24
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by auslandau
I wouldn't even want to go there! There will be blood ......

Old 04-01-2009, 06:06 PM   #25
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

I think the V6 Magna's are underrated, they are very quick when pushed! only problem i have with them is FWD!
Old 04-01-2009, 07:43 PM   #26
MrRhino
Starter Motor

yep 96 - 03 magna's for sure, they are a suprising car, hence why i got one, wait till you get one in manual form, standard ba's and 5 litre commodores bye bye. only the later models the earlier ones where crap!
MrRhino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2009, 08:21 PM   #27
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

yep gotta go with the Magna TJ VRX, quick good loooking and don't sound bad either.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:43 PM   #28
C.Moz
Starter Motor

In terms of Magna's, the Ralliart engine was great, but in terms of package - the VR-X was, and still is underrated.

I also think that the smaller cars don't get enough attention. Ie, Ralliart Colt.
C.Moz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2009, 08:44 PM   #29
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
do you reckon i would get a bite if i said ....xy

:
Old 04-01-2009, 08:46 PM   #30
mad cow
blue oval addict

the gold medal would have to go to the au falcon... so much value for so little dollars. great to drive to boot.

silver medal to the 2 series volvo,

gold to the magna, for the same reasons as the au
mad cow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post