Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-11-2008, 10:06 PM   #1
learner

Default Herrods

Just wondering what people think of the performance packages from herrods. I think about going the whole lot my BF GT.

learner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2008, 11:01 PM   #2
pwr4ce
Donating Member2

Im thinking of paying a visit to Intune once the warranty period is up on my GT
Im not sure how far I will go with mods - depends on $$$$
pwr4ce is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2008, 11:09 PM   #3
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by learner
Just wondering what people think of the performance packages from herrods. I think about going the whole lot my BF GT.
I've heard nothing but praise for their catback systems...not one bad report to date.
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2008, 12:09 AM   #4
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwr4ce
Im thinking of paying a visit to Intune once the warranty period is up on my GT
Im not sure how far I will go with mods - depends on $$$$
Not to high jack the thread, but Intune has the BEST sounding V8 Exhaust system I've ever heard. So much so, I got it on my XR8...

But I'm thinking of getting the Herrod Supercharger kit. Its a yella terra system and heard its very reliable. The intune one is a centrifrugal one and I dont like the power delivery.
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2008, 01:31 PM   #5
LTDHO
The one and only

Great place if you have more money than sense.

That's my opinion.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2008, 01:35 PM   #6
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

I haven't had great experiences with them and I know of someone else on here that had some MAJOR issues with them.

IMO there are better workshops that will charge you less for a better product and end result.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2008, 01:42 PM   #7
scottmeister
see my vest!

They told me it's not worth modifying NA 6s, "just be happy with it as it is". I proceeded to spend money elsewere.
scottmeister is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2008, 01:46 PM   #8
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i have a herrod catback for an XR8 you can have for a couple slabs of beer.

then you can see what you think of em?
Old 21-11-2008, 01:49 PM   #9
b2tf
not here much anymore

My experience wasnt great but it was far from atrocious. My ute has a lot of Herrod gear on it (was on before I bought it) and the thing that annoyed me most about them was that there was no record of what mods were done - even though the ute had a build number and ID from them.

End result - no I wouldnt go back there, but I wouldnt say that they are crap either. I just think you can go to other places and get more for less.
Old 21-11-2008, 01:53 PM   #10
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

The Herrod eqipment that I have on my car I can not fault the exhaust is very good sound and kw's gained the motor parts I have used all work well and no problems with anything. All good in my opinion and Herrod have been around a lot longer than most.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2008, 01:53 PM   #11
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmeister
They told me it's not worth modifying NA 6s, "just be happy with it as it is". I proceeded to spend money elsewere.
That's an odd comment for them to make considering they sell stuff for the N/A 6. Their loss, of course you were going to move on else where.
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2008, 01:55 PM   #12
b2tf
not here much anymore

It's also worth noting that some of the Herrod gear is also the one aftermarket option that is ADR approved.
Old 21-11-2008, 01:57 PM   #13
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpv84d
The Herrod eqipment that I have on my car I can not fault the exhaust is very good sound and kw's gained the motor parts I have used all work well and no problems with anything. All good in my opinion and Herrod have been around a lot longer than most.
The problem with Herrod is that they don't actually make anything themselves. They sell off the shelf items with their name on it and jack up the price. Apart from their Headers which are made eclusively to their specifications by Pacemaker, I stuggle to see any other component on their website that they've developed themsleves. Maybe their cam specs? But there no way to really know.

Bottom line is that with just about everything they sell, you'll be almost certain to be able to pick up the exact same product elsewhere at a cheaper price.
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2008, 01:57 PM   #14
scottmeister
see my vest!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra
That's an odd comment for them to make considering they sell stuff for the N/A 6. Their loss, of course you were going to move on else where.
My thoughts exactly...I was speaking to John for a good half hour and he went on about all the different products for NA6s and underdrives, how every other dyno is telling lies and barra's can't make more than 150rwkw, then simply emphasised to me that I should sell up and buy a turbo. Nice bloke, but... :
scottmeister is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2008, 02:40 PM   #15
learner

Looks like i just have to shop around and get different things done at different places. But where to start, as the motor is just a stock GT 290 motor. Any ideas please. I am in melbourne.
learner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2008, 02:41 PM   #16
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Ah a BOSS motor, then Chris at Bluepower is the man you need.

Bluepower is a site sponsor and there details can be found here on the forums in the site sponsor area.

EDIT: I will make it easy for you lol http://www.fordforums.com.au/forumdi...ysprune=&f=142
Old 21-11-2008, 03:40 PM   #17
Brent
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra
You could interpret this another way in that Herrods COULD have convinced you to buy a whole load of aftermarket products, lightening your wallet considerably in the process, and you'd possibly be disappointed with the result. IMO I tend to have a fair bit of respect for people who actually make a point of not taking your money.......for every one of those, there's 10 who'll take your coin without blinking.

I obviously don't know the full details and context of the conversation, but maybe its an issue wherein you can spend a lot of money on the N/A I6 with only a nomimal rwkw improvement. Don't forget that the I6 is a pretty damned good unit to begin with, so to mod it significantly, you probably quickly enter the curve of diminishing returns.

Brent.
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2008, 06:43 PM   #18
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

All of my dealing's with Herrod's has been positive, so much so that I went there from Bendigo for thing's I could have had done easily in town, but was cheaper for me to go to Herrod's, and I trusted their workmanship,
The product's I have on my vehicle, which are branded by Herrod's, are of a very high standard and I'm extreamly happy with the end result.
Go and see them and have a word to them.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2008, 02:08 AM   #19
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has helped a number of AFF members with their cars, particularly with EEC tuning Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with sound technical advice. 

I've only ever seen bad things from them, I can name 3 car's i know of that have been tuned their at different times, those same 3 car's also had severe detonation problems from the tune. Too much timing being the culprit.

As for cam's we had a original early 140rwkw herrod's EF 6 cyl in the pre tuning days. An interesting thing was found when we pulled out the cam and measured it up, that it was in fact a geniune ford XG xr6 ute cam, pre bbm, to fords original spec's.

A lot of the cam's they sell are just crow cams normal off the shelf range, i don't know for sure wether or not they have any of their own grinds, but i have spoken to them regarding my cam at one stage, and they tell me they've used it in a lot.
Old 22-11-2008, 06:40 AM   #20
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just to clarify what I said before. I was making positive comments about Herrods rather than Intune Motorsport.....With Intune theres a mix of good and not so good feedback out there
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2008, 08:05 AM   #21
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Over few years I have had some work done by Herrod, BA Boss ute headers, cats and cat back, cai and xede tuning.
BF F6 valve springs fitted and a dyno run, springs and camber kit all work was good and the best thing was the cars were always finished on time, which is a big problem in the performance industry.
I think we all have good and bad stories about many shops.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2008, 09:37 AM   #22
pwr4ce
Donating Member2

Interesting quote from Ozmale42 about Intune.
For me they are local and convenient to gosee.
My mod plans are pretty basic (exhaust,cai,tune) - cant go wrong with that can they?
pwr4ce is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2008, 09:49 AM   #23
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

Quote:
My mod plans are pretty basic (exhaust,cai,tune) - cant go wrong with that can they?
Considering they only work on fords '03 on and dont work on any other breed they probably know more about falcons than most out there. All the work on my car has been done there IMO they are the best in sydney. I like how people have 2nd and third hand knowledge and form opinions they are funny.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2008, 09:55 AM   #24
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpv84d
Considering they only work on fords '03 on and dont work on any other breed they probably know more about falcons than most out there. All the work on my car has been done there IMO they are the best in sydney. I like how people have 2nd and third hand knowledge and form opinions they are funny.
Sorry but I can't actually see any comments that are second or third hand.

Just to clarify my XR8 was a Herrod car with a Herrod tuned Unichip. Herrod decided that a lot of timing was a good idea resulting in some major detonation and piston 8 lunching itself. Not real good IMO.
Old 22-11-2008, 01:51 PM   #25
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBourne
i have a herrod catback for an XR8 you can have for a couple slabs of beer.

then you can see what you think of em?
thats unusual.

the cat back system on my old man's XR8 is a herrod bit of gear, and personally i think its one of the best sounding bosses ive heard. im not biased either. i dont think any of the other systems really get it sounding as good.
Old 22-11-2008, 02:00 PM   #26
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has helped a number of AFF members with their cars, particularly with EEC tuning Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with sound technical advice. 

Quote:
The tune is where it can go wrong, and badly!.
Old 22-11-2008, 02:12 PM   #27
dreadly
Banned

Rob herrods awesome...but herrod motorsport parts though is a hit or miss hey.
And kinda say's alot herrods... c.a.i is a ss inductions with a different badge- cams, headers etc Why dont they develop and make their own parts??
Show your own workshops designs and gains... not rebadge someone elses? ;)
dreadly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2008, 02:23 PM   #28
Windsor220
Now Fordless

While not relevant to B series, my AU supposedly had its Herrod catback and spoiler fitted when sold new. When I bought it I thought it had a stock system on it. Sounded rubbish. Couldnt belive someone paid what they did for it.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2008, 02:30 PM   #29
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Rob is a top bloke. He did a good job of lowering a BA MK1 XR8 ute for me, but then his workshop could never get my unichiped EL to run right.

I turned away from using him, after spending quite a few dollars on two cars, rang up for quotes on third, and who ever I spoke to just read me retail prices of the list like I was a nobody. No customer loyalty. I then turned away and went to Aussie Car Enhancements instead. Though as ACE ceased operating approximately 12 months ago there really does not seem to be an alternate for Ford enhancements now in Melbourne. There are a couple of tuning shops, but to get the fall experience in one business I do not know if any.

In regard to tuning the boss V8, there really is only one option, that you cannot go past, call Chris FINNIN at Blue Power Racing Developments.
Old 22-11-2008, 02:39 PM   #30
poolkeeper
Its Resonating!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0whiteaughia
The tune is where it can go wrong, and badly!.
haha Ill have to agree
poolkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post