Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-06-2009, 06:28 PM   #1
ELGT4me
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation Lumley Special Vehicles

Has anyone out there had dealings with this insurance company? To cut a long story short, they have halved my premiums & increased the agreed value on both GT's. There are restictions on the policies, but it was no worse than my other insurer. When I questioned how are they so cheap, their response was "we want a share of Shannons market!!" Both cars are not daily drivers!! They seem to be tied up with Wesfarmers, they do not do pay by the month, it is either quarterly, 1/2 yearly, or annual payments. My former insurer has matched the agreed value, but the premium has gone up as well. Any advice is most welcome.

ELGT4me is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2009, 06:36 PM   #2
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Yep great company but at the end of the day its who ever is the cheapest

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2009, 06:47 PM   #3
FOMOCO 1
Munch Munch GM's 4 Lunch

I have had many cars with them over the past 12 years and never had a problem. Good premiums and good service.
FOMOCO 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2009, 06:53 PM   #4
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

mmm could be interested in these guys being that shannons have upped my premium and dropped my agreed value by over $1100

do these guys have a web site or can you post their phone contact details

thanks

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2009, 07:23 PM   #5
ELGT4me
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason[98.EL]
mmm could be interested in these guys being that shannons have upped my premium and dropped my agreed value by over $1100

do these guys have a web site or can you post their phone contact details

thanks

Jason
Try 133 578, I spoke to a guy called Andy, I'm in Perth, he waited until 7.00 pm Melbourne time to speak with me, so I cannot complain about the service. Just to be fair, I found the Shannon's rep @ the GT Nationals, more than helpful, but he could not help me with my insurance problems, because I live in Perth. He had no problems with both cars remaining @ the agreed insurance value, & could not understand why they were de-valued . I also offered Shannon's the chance to inspect both cars upon return from Adelaide, to see if the cars could remain @ agreed value. Neither the lady I spoke to, or her manager were interested in viewing the cars. When I mentioned how much LSV valued the cars at, they immediately agreed to match that, but at extra cost to my previous policy.
Old 30-06-2009, 08:02 PM   #6
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELGT4me
Try 133 578, I spoke to a guy called Andy, I'm in Perth, he waited until 7.00 pm Melbourne time to speak with me, so I cannot complain about the service. Just to be fair, I found the Shannon's rep @ the GT Nationals, more than helpful, but he could not help me with my insurance problems, because I live in Perth. He had no problems with both cars remaining @ the agreed insurance value, & could not understand why they were de-valued . I also offered Shannon's the chance to inspect both cars upon return from Adelaide, to see if the cars could remain @ agreed value. Neither the lady I spoke to, or her manager were interested in viewing the cars. When I mentioned how much LSV valued the cars at, they immediately agreed to match that, but at extra cost to my previous policy.
yeh

thats about the same responce i got from shannons as well i think they have lost the plot ( i know that i have posted about how good they are in the last month or so but they are getting beyond my capabilities now )

they want me to send photos of the work i have done as i was doing it lol who the hell is going to take a few mins at 2 am when you are doing a head change or stop working on the trany change or diff change

i was planing on having a person there to take pics as i was planing on doing a how to for the ozecruisers.com.au car club that i am a part of but due to timing it was not able to happen

they prety much told me to suck it up but if this mob you have posted can agree to the value i can handle the 1/4 ly payments

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2009, 08:11 PM   #7
nickd
Passionate Ford XD XE nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELGT4me

I agree with you there, I don't want to mention names but I found the topic of this thread to be more than helpful than the other mob.

Wasn't happy that my car lost value by $10K when it still has 11,000kms in it????
Work that one out.
nickd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2009, 09:19 PM   #8
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

I have rung them 3 times got the message service left messages no one has bothered to call me back so I gave them a miss. service :

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2009, 09:29 PM   #9
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep been with LSV for years. They rang me a few years ago saying my car is under insured (XY GT for $65K) they told me the value was way to low and said they will not let me insure it with them for less than 90K!!!

I said yeah "nice try buddy, what's my new premium", answer was "no premium increase sir, just a courtesy call to align the value of your car with the current market".

The following renewal my pemium actually went down!!!

I don't know how but I'm not complaining.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2009, 09:29 PM   #10
ELGT4me
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Angry

Exactly right my friend, I obeyed all the clauses in their contract, one EL GT won an award @ an event they sponsored, & they then told me the average EL GT is worth $20k? It was amazing how quick they re valued BOTH cars when I mentioned the better offer. The final straw that broke the camel's back was , "It's insignificant what award your car won, we will not increase the agreed value of your car under any circumstances," Why the hell would you sponsor a national car show , with that attitude. :
Old 30-06-2009, 10:18 PM   #11
ELGT4me
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV+fteT3
I have rung them 3 times got the message service left messages no one has bothered to call me back so I gave them a miss. service :
Constuctive criticism is welcome, how about me, I gave them a quotation number dated from 16 th of April, I agreed to their policy & premiums yesterday, their only catch was " can you pay a half yearly premium?" I refused , I paid the yearly premium!!! Guys, I am not here to "float their boat" but to me "the enthusiast's insurance company" is not doing the right thing by the majority of the "enthusiasts". I am not sure if I get "repairer of choice" but I am damn sure, I do not intend to find that out. For driver training I will require a seperate policy, given my work roster,I would be lucky to do that training once a year . Guys/girls it does pay to shop around, loyalty means nothing these days!!!Greg.
Old 30-06-2009, 10:49 PM   #12
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpos...4&postcount=12

This was the post that informed me of LSV and the number I was calling and got the message bank what I was after was a quote for the TE50 for limited use and value of 35k is there another number to call? shannons quote for extreme limited use was $559.84 and my FPV which is insured thru RYNO quoted me $779 for 35k cover limited use on the TE.
I have not signed off with shannons yet and open to LSV if they can be contacted.

Lotus Exige S/C S240

Quote:
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
Old 01-07-2009, 05:27 AM   #13
ELGT4me
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mate, try 133 578, I deal with ANDY. My cars are insured as "modern classics", I am in a car club, vehicle usage is private, limited, recreational. I do have choice of licenced repairer. Please understand, this insurance is NOT for daily drivers. Neither of my GT's would cover more than 3k per year. I hope this helps. :
Old 01-07-2009, 12:25 PM   #14
Buzz Box
Wheel Wally

Lumley advertise alot to the unique or classic crowd. They are in a heap of the classic car mags.

Previously:
2009 Ford Focus - "The Bubble Car"
2002 Ford Futura Wagon - "The Big White Wagon"
1996 Ford Falcon - "Ophelia"
1975 Jaguar XJ6 - "The Beast"
Buzz Box is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2009, 12:35 PM   #15
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Used them for a couple of years now....

http://www.lsvinsurance.com.au/

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2009, 05:33 PM   #16
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

Thanks ELGT4me I rang that number ended up speaking with michael morris very happy limited use policy same as you i dont drive the toys too often they did the TE50 for the amount I requested had to email pics came back with a policy $389.00 where do I sign. Still have lifetime NCB, my choice of repairer, $750 excess all done thats $200 less than the other mob 4 same cover when the other cars fall due will ring them again.
Cheers
Steve

Lotus Exige S/C S240

Quote:
Old 06-07-2009, 06:15 PM   #17
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

After seeing this thread last week i filled out an online quote form for the GT, a rep called me the next day asking for pictures and more info.

The quote was emailed to me today, $622 for 75K agreed value, quite reasonable in my opinion, needless to say i shall be swapping over in a few months when my policy is due.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2009, 06:42 PM   #18
satria
FOXWHO

do you have to be over 25 for them?

damn age restrictions...
satria is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2009, 06:59 PM   #19
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satria
do you have to be over 25 for them?

damn age restrictions...
That would be a yes.

Lotus Exige S/C S240

Quote:
Old 06-07-2009, 07:30 PM   #20
satria
FOXWHO

well here is my vote for them being crappy.
Old 06-07-2009, 07:36 PM   #21
XDean

Some positive reinforcement here, I recently changed to them because wasn't real happy with the other crowd, who, when I discussed I was going to change had the nerve to say you'll be back. They didn't want to know about the reduced premiums and increased value that LSV offered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
needless to say i shall be swapping over in a few months when my policy is due.
When I canned my policy straight away, they refunded the pro rata difference to me...
Old 06-07-2009, 08:38 PM   #22
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

yeah they are owned by westfarmers dollars apparently, they do very good extended warranties on electrical items too.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:19 PM   #23
mickyyyy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Does anyone know if they also do standard car insurance policies???

Does anyone know who there under written to??? most are under written from alianz
Old 06-07-2009, 10:34 PM   #24
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickyyyy
Does anyone know if they also do standard car insurance policies???

Does anyone know who there under written to??? most are under written from alianz
They only do vintage, classic or modern performance, imported performance must be an enthousiast and in a car club not normal type cars. All modern performance vehicles require photo's to be emailed and must be secured in a garage etc...michael who looked afer my policy said they can even come out and do a valuation if you want more coverage than what they want to write can even do coverage on vehicles whilst being restored and will increase the value as you complete more of the car. But if you have the right car they seem pretty competative and offer a good policy IMO.

Wesfarmers wholly owns them. Wesfarmers owns coles and bilo and they are self insured by wesfarmers insurance so not underwritten by another company as far as I know. I know coles even cover their own workers comp thru wesfarmers they are a big mob.

Lotus Exige S/C S240

Quote:
Old 07-07-2009, 11:04 PM   #25
satria
FOXWHO

i take back my vote for them being crappy. I decided to fill out their online quote form even though i am under 25 and i had a guy from lumley call me and said he pushed for his boss to insure me even though i turn 24 next month. He said he had a charger when he was younger so he knew the position i am in. Felt good knowing they are enthusiasts too which is what shannons advertise they are. Me and the guy on the phone had a good chat about both our cars and what mods we have done, he was particularly interested in my rear brake conversion and thought it was a cool original setup.

I then read their PDS when i got home and have found they do not insure unlisted drivers. So if someone like my dad or a relative ever touches my car instead of just paying a higher excess i would not be insured at all. Shannons DO insure unlisted drivers but you just pay an excess of $1500 instead of $400. Because of this i've decided to give lumleys a miss. Pitty because apart from that they seem alright.
Old 16-11-2009, 05:13 PM   #26
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Just a note for those interested.

I called Lumley Special Vehicles to activate my insurance policy quote today.
My quote was old and needed doing again so we went through the details, the rep informed me they have rehashed their pricing to be more competitive.

My policy is now $379.00 agreed value of 75K with all performance mods listed.
Highly recommended

NB:
This price is for a classic car with limited klm per year, a clean record and no drivers under 25.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2009, 11:21 PM   #27
LOCO XP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I held policies on the EH and the XP ute with them for some time, dealing with them directly I found they had good service and competitive quotes, but have since moved to Shannons as they basically have offered the same cover but a good deal cheaper in my case (the XP, EH and WB Stato all with Shannons now, eventually the home and the EF also). That being said, when I approached a local broker who dealt with LSV, limited use on the XP with mods (wheels, V8 conversion etc), broker came back with $1200/yr with restrictions, but when I spoke to LSV directly, they offered agreed value at $400/yr.... I was shocked and pointed out that the XP was engineered for a 302W V8, the bloke goes "Just let me check with my suprevisor" and said they would still honour the quote. I couldn't fault them, as I said only reason I've gone away is Shannons offered more for less money.
LOCO XP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2009, 11:27 PM   #28
Big Bird 17

I rang them last week for a quote & was told they would'nt quote me as they were getting out of the performance car market.
Old 17-11-2009, 03:30 PM   #29
browser351
Landcruiser 200

I recieved my renewal notice from Shannons the other day - EB GT ($400 approx) ($25000 agreed value) and my daily driver Prado 4x4 ($380).
I got a quote from LSV - EB GT ($180) (Same agreed value but limited use) and the Prado ($320).
No clues as to which way I went.

Graeme K
browser351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2009, 03:37 PM   #30
Ride
Stay Classy ™

browser351: I'm quite intrigued that they're insuring a daily driver Prado, is it simply because you have the EB GT insured with them as well or are they completely separate policies that aren't dependant on either?
Ride is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post