Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 17-07-2020, 08:28 PM   #1
X-AHH
The good, bad and fugly
Donating Member2

Default Re: The bakery thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesa View Post
Many years ago I found this small modest-looking bakery and they made the best custard tarts I've ever had in my life. So good that I took a pic of it at the time!
I went back one day and they'd MOVED AWAY, I was devastated.

I've never been satisfied with another custard tart since, they're all crap in comparison.

BEHOLD.

FULL SIZE PIC SO YOU CAN SEE IT IN ALL ITS GLORY.

Thanks for sharing.
That's a handsome quantity of good looking custard in what looks like a perfect pastry envelope.

Was it an egg based baked custard or vanilla slice type?

Best egg based baked custard tart I ever tasted was from my parents bakery and also Smeatons at Glen Innes.
Old 17-07-2020, 08:39 PM   #2
leesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by xahh View Post
Thanks for sharing.
That's a handsome quantity of good looking custard in what looks like a perfect pastry envelope.

Was it an egg based baked custard or vanilla slice type?

Best egg based baked custard tart I ever tasted was from my parents bakery and also Smeatons at Glen Innes.
I couldn't tell you to be honest, I'm not much of a cook and I don't think I've ever had a vanilla slice.
The custard was a good inch or two higher than the crust like just a bulbous ball of yellow goop.
I thought it might be kinda rubbery since it was so big but it just wasn't, it was light and soft and jiggly and perfect. :p
Even the crust was still crispy, normally they go soggy but this thing still had crunch!

As you can see I had to stop and take a photo of it so as to preserve its memory.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 17-07-2020, 08:50 PM   #3
X-AHH
The good, bad and fugly
Donating Member2

Anyone tried the 12 inch custard "Long John" from the Roundabout Bakery in West Wyalong?

It basically looks like a chocolate eclair but is made from donut material and filled with a generous amount of sweet vanilla custard and a smear of strawberry jam.

From personal experience, that quantity of Long John takes some serious swallowing to make it dissappear.