Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 14-10-2005, 08:00 AM   #1
ImpulseTaco
n00b

Default What crap!!

I wonder, where is the line drawn on this sort of thing. Hopefully there is less of this sort of thing down your way.

PETA’s New Comic for Kids: Taking Aim at Dads Who Fish
Most people wouldn’t expect PETA activists to visit the local fishing hole or hang out in front of tackle shops at fishing tournaments, but starting on September 24, Fish Amnesty Day, activists will take to the water with their sights on dads who are teaching their kids to abuse animals.

PETA’s pro-fish leaflet reminds fishers and their families that fish feel pain and fear when they are impaled in the mouth and ripped from their underwater homes and that they deserve to be treated with kindness, just like all animals.

Before they are desensitized to the suffering of animals, PETA aims to help kids see the violent bloody truth behind their fathers’ outdoor pastime.

Children will read: “Imagine that a man dangles a piece of candy in front of you. ... As you grab the candy, a huge metal hook stabs through your hand and you’re ripped off the ground. You fight to get away, but it doesn’t do any good... That would be an awful trick to play on someone, wouldn’t it?”

http://www.fishinghurts.com/feat-newcomic.asp

Old 14-10-2005, 08:13 AM   #2
bindi
Redhead extraordinaire...

As an animal lover, I would agree with this... although the lengths they are going to are quite extreme. But I expect this of PETA, they are quite verbal.

And someone has to be verbal. Some of the things in this world need to be voiced against loudly because it tends to get swallowed up and not cared about unless a HUGE fuss is made. Shock tactics work.

I have always felt sorry for fish... yes I am a vegetarian against animal cruelty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_waity
Oh, and another surefire symptom will be the Falcon badge at the back.
bindi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2005, 08:27 AM   #3
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Before I start, I *must* point out that is not aimed at you Bindi .. just a general rant.

start rant
Unbelieveable. These people are no better than garden variety nutters that run around muttering to themselves all day. Like it or not, our physilology is that of an omnivore. That means we eat meat. If people choose to be vegetarians, good luck to them but that doesn't mean that they should try to enforce their will on the rest of the world. There are also people that figure plants have feelings .. I wonder when their comic comes out?
If every vocal single interest group got their way we would all be naked standing in a field starving to death because everything we do is wrong.
I too am an animal lover against animal cruelty ( remember, the avatar is a joke !! ) but I am still a meat eater and meat doesn't just materialise from nowhere. These people are no better than religious fanatics.

end rant
XA-Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2005, 08:31 AM   #4
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

My 6yo daughter is the greatest lover of animals you could imagine.. she also loves ham and bacon. When I told her where ham and bacon came from (she asked), she thought about it.. the told me that it was ok, thats just how thing are.

Well done PETA, you have been gazumped by an angelic 6yo who has a clue.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2005, 08:38 AM   #5
ImpulseTaco
n00b

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who thinks these people are nuts.

Sure, I'd like to stop hurting fish, but they're just so damn tasty when grilled...
Old 14-10-2005, 08:50 AM   #6
bindi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
My 6yo daughter is the greatest lover of animals you could imagine.. she also loves ham and bacon. When I told her where ham and bacon came from (she asked), she thought about it.. the told me that it was ok, thats just how thing are.
My kids are the same. They asked me where the meat came from many years ago now, and my animal-loving 12yo daughter says "I just wish they didn't taste so damn good!" lol You see, I am the only vegetarian in my family. My husband and kids still eat meat and I still prepare it for them. I don't believe that I can shove my beliefs down their throats at all, so they eat what they wish. Their choice, as they get older they can make decisions for themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XA Coupe
Before I start, I *must* point out that is not aimed at you Bindi .. just a general rant.*snip* There are also people that figure plants have feelings .. I wonder when their comic comes out?
Meh, glad you pointed that out hahahaha I would agree with what you said about plants having feelings - I have often wondered about that myself. It's the farming methods invovled in keeping animals for slaughter that I disagree with - I think that is so very cruel in comparison to picking an apple off a tree.

Also I read somewhere a couple of years ago that experiments done with fish have shown they have a memory of at least THREE MONTHS as opposed to the minute that most people believe... and that's why I don't keep fish in tanks because that is cruel too imho.

Quote:
Old 14-10-2005, 09:15 AM   #7
seano14
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i think it was something like 7500 cows that get slaughtered in queensland alone every week, if i was in PETA the last thing i would be worried about is the guy with his fishing rod!

tune in next week for "your mother cooks dead things"
seano14 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2005, 09:22 AM   #8
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bloody tree huggin hippies.
Old 14-10-2005, 09:41 AM   #9
Psycho Chicken
Banned

PETA, since when have they had a clue?

So fish feel pain and are scared when we hook them. How is that any different from a zebra/gazelle/waterbuffalo/whatever having a lion/tiger/leopard/whatever jump on it's back, pull it to the ground with it's claws and begin ripping it's guts out while it's still kicking? We have the teeth to eat meat so I'll be damned if I'm not going to use them.

I'm higher up on the food chain. GET IN MY BELLLLLLYYYYY!!!
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2005, 09:42 AM   #10
Angry Beaver
Beaver fever

When I was working in the laboratories and yes I was looking after the mice and rats, we had to do a tafe course in laboratory animal handling. One certain girl in the group was an animal libby so she claims, but when actually confronted by the teacher at the time and asked If she was such an animal libby why was she wearing leather shoes. It makes you wonder how many of these so called animal libbys actually take note of the things they are actually wearing. Lets face it even if they decided to wear none leather things etc do they actually realise what the synthetic copies are actually doing to the environment. Just my little two cents worth.
Angry Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2005, 09:48 AM   #11
aimzes
...fairly odd

Quote:
tune in next week for "your mother cooks dead things"
LOL!..
Old 14-10-2005, 09:51 AM   #12
Zebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Chicken
PETA, since when have they had a clue?

So fish feel pain and are scared when we hook them. How is that any different from a zebra/gazelle/waterbuffalo/whatever having a lion/tiger/leopard/whatever jump on it's back, pull it to the ground with it's claws and begin ripping it's guts out while it's still kicking? We have the teeth to eat meat so I'll be damned if I'm not going to use them.

I'm higher up on the food chain. GET IN MY BELLLLLLYYYYY!!!
You will find it is extremely rare that we zebras jump on fish's backs and rip out their entrails... Fishing spots in the Serengeti are limited and often hogged (apologies to well mannered hogs everywhere), by these damned crocodiles. So as a rule we adopt a more grain based diet, although I'd kill for an apple. I hope this clears this matter.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2005, 10:01 AM   #13
bindi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs casper
When I was working in the laboratories and yes I was looking after the mice and rats, we had to do a tafe course in laboratory animal handling. One certain girl in the group was an animal libby so she claims, but when actually confronted by the teacher at the time and asked If she was such an animal libby why was she wearing leather shoes. It makes you wonder how many of these so called animal libbys actually take note of the things they are actually wearing. Lets face it even if they decided to wear none leather things etc do they actually realise what the synthetic copies are actually doing to the environment. Just my little two cents worth.
Yes I would agree with this - not many people know what the difference between a vegetarian and a vegan is.

Vegetarians don't eat meat (not even chicken and fish) but will still eat eggs and milk products.

Vegans don't eat any animal products or by-products (eggs, milk) of any kind and don't wear anything that comes from an animal (such as leather). They can have severe health issues surrounding the intake of vitamins and minerals too.

But even though you all think of me as the tree-hugging hippie type, I can tell you there are many more people out there who make me look tame and quiet lol. I still wear the Blunnies (because they last forever and are so comfortable) and I still eat eggs and some milk products (although I tend to go soy and I always eat locally produced eggs from a vegetarian woman's chickens raised in her ecologically friendly back garden - her chickens are her pets).

Most people are vegetarians because of the health benefits in not eating meat, not because of the animal cruelty involved.

Quote:
Old 14-10-2005, 10:11 AM   #14
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Irony would be chickens suing free range egg eating hippies, in a "they took the children away scandal". Those of us who enjoyed the roast chin for Sunday lunch removed all chance of receiving a similar summons. _
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2005, 10:22 AM   #15
Psycho Chicken
Banned

You know what I hate about PETA?

Reading their crap makes me hungry. I want fish and chips and I want it now.
Old 14-10-2005, 01:43 PM   #16
Tote
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Peta are currently running a campaign against the Australian wool industry with some attention being paid to them by the media. Their aim is to prevent Muelsing which is the removal of skin around the inner thighs of the sheep.
Their take is that this is a cruel practice and should be stopped
The reality is that farmers dont do this because they enjoy hurting small animals, they do it to prevent the wool there getting wet and attracting blowflies which lay their eggs in it. When the eggs hatch the maggots eat the sheep's flesh under the wool which if not treated leads to blood poisioning and death. hence Farmers dont like to see their income dropping dead in the paddock.
It irks me that a loud minority group can hold an industry to ransom with their sensationalist propaganda without offering a reasonable alternative.
These minority groups rarely consider any viewpoint except their own and if they got their way we would be naked living in caves.
For example:
Wool is bad because of muelsing, cant wear wool....
Cotton is bad because of the environmental damage caused by irrigation, can't wear cotton.....
Synthetics are bad because they come from the petro chemical industry, can't wear much else....
Oh well, I'm off to watch The Silence of the Lambs for some clothing ideas....

/end rant

If you would like to see what happens to unmuelsed sheep click on the link below, be warned, it's not pretty
http://www.bio.bris.ac.uk/research/insects/myiasis.html
and a bit more info on muelsing that's probably biased the other way:
http://www.woolisbest.com/animal_welfare/mulesing/

Regards,
Tote
Tote is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2005, 01:55 PM   #17
donkeylover

I love animals
donkeylover is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2005, 02:14 PM   #18
Shonky
my other ride is the bus.

Oh for F#%& sake...

has anyone heard of any progress made on converting the green machine to run on hippies?

+ Lots of Land Rovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourbastard
Edelbrock.... not Peter Brock. Theres a world of difference. For a start my heads have much less gum tree in them.
Shonky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2005, 02:24 PM   #19
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Whilst PETA's views are as valid as any other organisation, I think their tactics are absolutely disgusting. I was reading a story about this comic just yesterday actually, its a follow up on the "Your Mommy Kills Animals" cartoon.

Bit of alinky:http://asmallvictory.net/archives/005548.html

But to quote some of the text

Quote:
Until then, keep your doggie or kitty friends away from mommy - she's an animal killer
How dare they?!?! This is no point of exaggeration - if someone walked up to me in the street and started saying that to my son/daughter and showing graphic pictures of skinned animals, i would break their nose right there. You're more than entitled to have and share your opinions PETA, but to purposely make an effort to SCARE an INNOCENT child is uncomprehensible behaviour. There's a lot of things young children dont need to see/hear.

Im an animal lover myself (not a vegitarian) but i'll put the mental well being of a child before any other animal.
Old 14-10-2005, 02:25 PM   #20
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tote
Wool is bad because of muelsing, cant wear wool....
Cotton is bad because of the environmental damage caused by irrigation, can't wear cotton.....
Synthetics are bad because they come from the petro chemical industry, can't wear much else....
Can I interest you in a PETA Activist Skin Polo Shirt? He was killed humanely. I promise. It still has his save the whales tattoo intact.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2005, 02:30 PM   #21
Brenden
"THE" Workshop manager.

what happens to a chicken when u feed it nos?

AME Albury carshow Horsepower Hero 2005
AME Adelaide carshow Horsepower Hero 2005
AME Shepparton carshow Horsepower Hero 2005
AME Melbourne Highest horsepower 6 turbo 2005
AME Melbourne Highest horsepower N/A 6 2005
All Ford nationals DYO 10.5 and over champion 2005
Brenden is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2005, 02:30 PM   #22
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Nandos?
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2005, 02:31 PM   #23
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hmm reminds me that it's time to renew my fishing licence!
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2005, 02:32 PM   #24
Brenden
"THE" Workshop manager.

a kfc a zinger burger

i was thinking of trying a 150hp shot next time

AME Albury carshow Horsepower Hero 2005
AME Adelaide carshow Horsepower Hero 2005
AME Shepparton carshow Horsepower Hero 2005
AME Melbourne Highest horsepower 6 turbo 2005
AME Melbourne Highest horsepower N/A 6 2005
All Ford nationals DYO 10.5 and over champion 2005
Brenden is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2005, 02:32 PM   #25
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkeylover
I love animals
BBQed or fried?
Old 14-10-2005, 02:33 PM   #26
Hardtopxb
Once PHASED.

Sour can i have one, in blood red please..
Old 14-10-2005, 02:35 PM   #27
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Chicken
BBQed or fried?
Are you sure he means "love" as a man "loves" a beer?
Or does he mean "love" like a man loves his wife?

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2005, 02:39 PM   #28
Psycho Chicken
Banned

The username is suss....
Old 14-10-2005, 02:40 PM   #29
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenden
a kfc a zinger burger

i was thinking of trying a 150hp shot next time
Now I want a zinger... :gren:

Maybe before calder I can eat a chicken.
Old 14-10-2005, 02:53 PM   #30
Kapn_Kiwi
It is hard...

I love myLeather Jacket, Leather Boots, and Possum Fur hat. You aussies will love the last one.