Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 28-07-2015, 05:36 PM   #1
zilo
BANNED

Default Latest Indian scam

they ring you and say that your IP address is flooding telstra servers.

Then the usual BS to get you to go to their website and run some ransomware to get you to pay money to unlock it.

Stupid morons...

here is where they try to send you...

start, run

wwx.telstracare.weebly.com

(wwx deliberate error so noone runs the link here)

Don't get sucked in.....
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 28-07-2015, 05:41 PM   #2
Freiherr

Default Re: Latest Indian scam

Support from Mumbai?
Seriously, they will try anything.
Freiherr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2015, 06:16 PM   #3
AAXR8

Exclamation Re: Latest Indian scam

I got a different Scam Also from Telstra Yesterday, so I thought I would post it so you guys know what to listen for!
* So This Gentlemen with a Foreign accent Says he is from Telstra and he did know the name but that's easy if you go through the phone book!
So he says because we have been with Testra for some time now (which we havn't!) That we are entitled to a $25 discount off every months bill and then says very quickly but I need to know how much your last bill was!
So I said ok great what is your Testra ID and name?
He then said again what was your last bill amount! Again I said your ID please and this went on 10 times! So I said ok leave a note on the account so I can ring and Confirm with Telstra!
So he kept saying your last Bill amount please, and every time I said your ID until HE said I DON'T HAVE ONE!
So I said then whats your name?? Then the phone went dead silent, because he Hung up!
So I rang Telstra and said they have to give an ID straight away or its a Scam!! So knowing your last months Bill must give them access to something???
Any way guys just wanted to share another recent Scam!
, SCT FLASH TUNED, COLD AIR INTAKE WITH K&N HI FLOW POD FILTER , 4:11 DIFF, HERROD THROTTLE BODY. PEDDERS XTREME-XA COILOVERS
!!
247 RWKW

03 BA XR8 UTE WHITE IN COLOR!

AAXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 28-07-2015, 09:30 PM   #4
Trump
bitch lasagne

The best way to deal with muppets like these is to string them along for as long as possible. Wasting their time irks them like nothing else.
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2015, 09:43 PM   #5
BradEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well the latest Indian scam in NZ this past week is Indian "witchdoctors" charging elderly or vulnerable people thousands of dollars to fix problems like jobs, marriage issues and what not. Winning millions of dollars in foreign lottery and getting phone calls from overseas people happens on a weekly basis these days, but really they will try anything to rip off the good members of society.
BradEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2015, 09:43 PM   #6
creative
I am Batman

lol... if my ip address is flooding telstra servers, I would suggest they got a new IT team.
Rebuilt Boss260 with #Kellogs 1500hp forged and balanced crank#Manley forged flattop pistons with a 9.5/1cr#4340 forged h-beam rods with arp bolts#Clevit performance rod and main bearings#full ARP headstud kit#total seal rings#Mantic twin plate development clutch and lightened flywheel#Mellings uprated oil pump#Mainforce Performance Supercharger kit#AU motorsport 345mm big brake kit.

Now producing 369.7rwkw/496rwhp@6000 and 515ft/lb torque @ 11 psi.
Now sat on an engine stand going nowhere
creative is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2015, 01:12 AM   #7
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i have the answering machine set up, i just don't answer the dam phone unless it is somebody that i know who speaks, mind you , the phone probably rings 20 times a day and no one leaves a message.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2015, 01:35 AM   #8
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

I get something similar to this a couple of times a week.

Their ID always comes up as a Private Number so I'm usually prepared for them.

I don't bother much with them now and just hang up but I've been told you are better hanging on as it wastes their time and they usually won't call back.

I don't think this works as I try it sometimes by asking them what an IP is or something similar.

After they've spent a little time explaining some stupid problem I have, I tell them I'm having difficulties understanding how that can be as I've never owned a computer.

Their a pest but what makes me really wonder is what type of person falls for this rubbish.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2015, 02:11 AM   #9
fmc351
let it burn

Your link didnt work, but I fixe...
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-07-2015, 02:25 AM   #10
Mr G8
Maximum Derek

This is why I registered my home phone number to the Do Not Call Register. It's free, and you're number is removed from these lists of telemarketers and scams, only random calls you'll get are from charity organizations. Lasts 10 years.

2008 FG XT 6 Speed
18's, Tint, ZF Conversion, LED Conversion, Exhaust.
Mr G8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2015, 03:23 AM   #11
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

I just don't answer the phone. If you want to talk to me call my mobile

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2015, 06:01 AM   #12
BradEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr G8 View Post
This is why I registered my home phone number to the Do Not Call Register. It's free, and you're number is removed from these lists of telemarketers and scams, only random calls you'll get are from charity organizations. Lasts 10 years.
Great idea, who is going to have a home phone in 2025 anyway?? After all the iPhone hadn't even been released in 2005 and now look...
BradEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2015, 08:53 AM   #13
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It only work for legit companies trying to sell stuff.

Scammers still call.

If it stopped people calling you it was because legit companies calling you trying to sell you stuff.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-07-2015, 10:32 AM   #14
creative
I am Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled View Post
It only work for legit companies trying to sell stuff.

Scammers still call.

If it stopped people calling you it was because legit companies calling you trying to sell you stuff.
correct.

As most of these scams come from abroad they dont need to comply with a DNC list/rules.
Rebuilt Boss260 with #Kellogs 1500hp forged and balanced crank#Manley forged flattop pistons with a 9.5/1cr#4340 forged h-beam rods with arp bolts#Clevit performance rod and main bearings#full ARP headstud kit#total seal rings#Mantic twin plate development clutch and lightened flywheel#Mellings uprated oil pump#Mainforce Performance Supercharger kit#AU motorsport 345mm big brake kit.

Now producing 369.7rwkw/496rwhp@6000 and 515ft/lb torque @ 11 psi.
Now sat on an engine stand going nowhere
creative is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-07-2015, 10:52 AM   #15
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just tell them to hold on a minute as you have something on the stove, put the phone down and come back 30 minutes later, generally they have hung up by then.

Or one of my mates who is a bit of a comedian always says, " please stay on the line, this call is being traced by authorities and an arrest team will be deployed to your location immediately."

They generally hang up straight away, and probably spend the next couple of hours with the curtains drawn peeking out the window

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 29-07-2015, 12:05 PM   #16
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by arronm View Post
I just don't answer the phone. If you want to talk to me call my mobile

The annoying thing is I have an unlisted mobile phone and they called it.

When I think of where I have given it out to anyone at all lately the answer is..a telstra shop to sign up for the NBN.....

surely...not someone in telstra making cash on the side??
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2015, 02:23 AM   #17
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
I’m on the 'Do Not Call Register' and it makes absolutely no difference to the scammers that are calling from O/S.

They are safe in the knowledge no-one is going to chase them, you can’t trap their number and complain to them and if you could they don’t listen anyway and the Australian authorities are hamstrung when it comes to being able to exert any local laws against them.

The 'Do Not Call Register' is only for effective against the honest local cold caller, not O/S scammers.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 30-07-2015, 08:00 AM   #18
Phildo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent work on the BF Brake information. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Photo Essay - Centre Console Disassembly 

The legendary Tom Mabe vs telemarketer phone call:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7OgWcwgB50
Read about it all at Cabloid, the web site that has stories and photos about my life driving a taxi at night.
www.cabloid.com.au
Phildo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-07-2015, 11:33 AM   #19
QLD-Bluey
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phildo View Post
The legendary Tom Mabe vs telemarketer phone call:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7OgWcwgB50
An oldie but a goodie!!
QLD-Bluey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2015, 11:41 AM   #20
QLD-Bluey
True Blue

It often makes me wonder how they target people. I have a small home business that is mainly computer based,....so I am on it all the time. I don't get anything in the way of scammers at all and have never done really other than o/s telemarketers (usually some guy with an indian accent called Trevor) wanting to build me a business website for cheap etc.
A friend of mine is a tradie and rarely uses his computer for business, but started getting emails about the Nigerian Prince and all those other ones. Then he started getting the calls from "Microsoft" saying that his computer is faulty etc. I told him how to get rid of them by wasting their time acting dumb.
Now he is getting letters sent to his home telling him that a rich uncle who was a oil magnate in Singapore had died and left him millions!! LOL I just wonder why he (my mate) is getting targeted like that and I am not????
QLD-Bluey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2015, 12:37 PM   #21
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Used to work with a guy who is a Fijian Indian and is fluent in Hindi, he used to have endless fun trying to chat up the female Indian callers you get from "computer assistance" and other scams.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2015, 10:09 PM   #22
Binny

We still have a landline but no phone plugged into it. It's purely there for ADSL.
When our cordless phone stuffed out a few months ago I didn't see the point of buying another one when the only calls we got were from scammers, telemarketers and my mother in law. It has been bliss ever since!
Old 31-07-2015, 11:24 AM   #23
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We have not had a home phone for three years, can't say I miss it.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2015, 02:13 PM   #24
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by QLD-Bluey View Post
It often makes me wonder how they target people. I have a small home business that is mainly computer based,....so I am on it all the time. I don't get anything in the way of scammers at all and have never done really other than o/s telemarketers (usually some guy with an indian accent called Trevor) wanting to build me a business website for cheap etc.
A friend of mine is a tradie and rarely uses his computer for business, but started getting emails about the Nigerian Prince and all those other ones. Then he started getting the calls from "Microsoft" saying that his computer is faulty etc. I told him how to get rid of them by wasting their time acting dumb.
Now he is getting letters sent to his home telling him that a rich uncle who was a oil magnate in Singapore had died and left him millions!! LOL I just wonder why he (my mate) is getting targeted like that and I am not????
i suppose these days we let little bits of info slip out every now and again without even noticing, you log into some sites, they use cookies and have your ip address, i would imagine thats how some of it works ? and once that info is on the net, it is there forever and probably easily collated for someone trained in data acquisition .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 31-07-2015, 02:44 PM   #25
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
The annoying thing is I have an unlisted mobile phone and they called it.

computers are amazing things, computers can and do randomly dial a series of numbers, if that number connects, bingo if its answered bingo again. They are not calling you personally (sorry to burst your popularity bubble ) its just chance.
Old 01-08-2015, 12:06 AM   #26
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think I may have posted this up on a similar thread before.
I get scores of these Indian mongrels calling all the time so I Googled "Indian Mafia" and it took me to Mumbai Police Dept. website where it listed their 10 most wanted criminals. When they next rang from India I told him I was a personal friend of the # 1 most wanted and that I'd traced his calling address and was very displeased with these calls and if he ever called again # 1 would call around and kill him.
Seems to have worked so far.

Last edited by nuthin' fancy; 01-08-2015 at 12:30 AM.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2015, 11:15 PM   #27
menil
fg pursuit

if its a female I just ask what color nickers she is wearing end of call
menil is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-09-2021, 05:42 PM   #28
efirestorer

An update to current scams . The latest attempt to get our hard earned with a scam relates to the current situation with having parcels delivered - due to lockdowns ,many people are genuinely having parcels sent . In last 10 days I have received 20 SMS messages about my unfilled order ,problems with invoice , parcel tracking problem and finishing with parcel being returned to sender all to be avoided by logging in to their web address where I will be losing something or have my computer hacked.
efirestorer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 26-09-2021, 05:57 PM   #29
slowsnake
Banned

When I saw the header " Latest Indian Scam " I immediately thought geez this should be in the motorcycle thread section?....no ****!...

But I too get about 3 texts a day in Perth, for months now but I never click on link, but they are persistent though!

Cheers Billio
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-09-2021, 07:35 PM   #30
mondeomatureguy

Hi guy's
Two weeks ago i have been getting phone calls about 3 per day every day.
What i did was blocked the numbers on my mobile phone. What worry's me is people like my in-law's who are in there 80s and when they are get these phones calls they get very worried and confused.

My wife sent her parents an e-mail telling them about these phone calls and also the scam e-mails.
We told them "if you don't know the phone number just don't answer it".
mondeomatureguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post: