Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 17-12-2020, 12:54 PM   #8251
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Default Re: Covid 19 -

forgetting the bias for what do you expect from media where they're coming from got to say, NO ONE deserves a gold medal BUT compared to the punishment you vics copped due to the worst covid experience any other State endured and sadly much loss I don't understand the attitude, I sure wouldn't be standing on any pedastool pointing out trivial headlines, face palm alright.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
This user likes this post:
Old 17-12-2020, 01:26 PM   #8252
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Data valid as at 23:59 GMT December 16th, 2020.

Note: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting.

11 new cases for Australia and 0 deaths so the CMR remains 3.236%. NSW recorded 7 cases, WA and Queensland recorded 1.

4 new cases and no deaths for NZ so CMR is 1.190% and active cases drop to 43.

The UK had a much higher 25,161 cases yesterday and 612 deaths.

Just over 201.5k new cases in the USA yesterday and 2,994 deaths sees CMR drop to 1.814% and active cases drop to 39.8% with the raw numbers rising and now over 6.8M. Note that the USA is actually minus one day due to time differences.

Other notable points:
Global cases pass 74M with the last 1M in 2 days;
Global deaths pass 1.65M with the last 100k in 5 days;
Global deaths set a new daily high of 13,176;
Brazil passes 7M cases;
The USA completes 226M, India 156M and Malaysia 3M tests.

Syria (151);
Namibia (363);
Nigeria (930) - 17% above the previous high;
Latvia (1,023);
South Korea (1,078);
Panama (2,960);
Lithuania (3,418);
Denmark (3,692);
Netherlands (11,169) and
Germany (28,969)

... recorded new daily highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive days.

Observatio Facta Rotae

2 users like this post:
Old 17-12-2020, 02:09 PM   #8253
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
forgetting the bias for what do you expect from media where they're coming from got to say, NO ONE deserves a gold medal BUT compared to the punishment you vics copped due to the worst covid experience any other State endured and sadly much loss I don't understand the attitude, I sure wouldn't be standing on any pedastool pointing out trivial headlines, face palm alright.
There was no judgement by me of either state's performance, FTE, so not quite sure why you think I'm standing on a pedestal with my comment.

My post was commenting on the self-congratulatory nature of the term they had applied to themselves. My view is that it is the people who should be judging the performance of the respective governments, not themselves nor the media.

Having said that, NSW do seem to have been able to mange the pandemic pretty well. Vic didn't do so well with returned travellers, but they seem to have stepped up their game since then, having controlled the outbreak in Shepparton and the Melbourne traveller who went to Kilmore.

I really think any judgement regarding performance should be reserved until, at least, after our next winter. That is the next big challenge for the country, IMHO.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
Old 17-12-2020, 02:26 PM   #8254
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
There was no judgement by me of either state's performance, FTE, so not quite sure why you think I'm standing on a pedestal with my comment.

My post was commenting on the self-congratulatory nature of the term they had applied to themselves. My view is that it is the people who should be judging the performance of the respective governments, not themselves nor the media.

Having said that, NSW do seem to have been able to mange the pandemic pretty well. Vic didn't do so well with returned travellers, but they seem to have stepped up their game since then, having controlled the outbreak in Shepparton and the Melbourne traveller who went to Kilmore.

I really think any judgement regarding performance should be reserved until, at least, after our next winter. That is the next big challenge for the country, IMHO.
In agreeance, I think all Australian States regardless of what failings they had with handling the covid19 have done quite well compared to the rest of the world in theses unprecedent times.

Trying to control outbreaks is damn hard especially when some of the public do not want to co-operate with the authorities which has been proven at times.
Old 17-12-2020, 03:44 PM   #8255
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officemanager View Post
In agreeance, I think all Australian States regardless of what failings they had with handling the covid19 have done quite well compared to the rest of the world in theses unprecedent times.

Trying to control outbreaks is damn hard especially when some of the public do not want to co-operate with the authorities which has been proven at times.
Agreed, what happened in VIC could have easily occurred anywhere, its not a competition and for the betterment of everyone I truly hope states are sharing info and processes as much as possible.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
5 users like this post:
Old 17-12-2020, 04:06 PM   #8256
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
"Gold Standard". As judged by people from that very state. No bias there!
Ok fine with your response but your quote above could be read like wtf followed by the facepalm, some can read it like I have I'm sure I'm not alone but I'll accept your reply thankyou.
Point is as you later mention the article quotes their pov not the general public......

IMO I think most States handled the outbreaks veryvery well actually under the circumstances of the unknown for sometime and adjusted as information was learnt day by day, unfortunately not in Melb originally despite seeing what was occuring especially in Sydney for its obvious the 2 main cities were going to go through massive hurdles.
Thankfully the lessons learnt due to being locked down for soso long you'd expect Melb has stepped up their game thank goodness for that.
May it long carry on for all States.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
Old 17-12-2020, 04:23 PM   #8257
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
Ok fine with your response but your quote above could be read like wtf followed by the facepalm, some can read it like I have I'm sure I'm not alone but I'll accept your reply thankyou.
Point is as you later mention the article quotes their pov not the general public......

IMO I think most States handled the outbreaks veryvery well actually under the circumstances of the unknown for sometime and adjusted as information was learnt day by day, unfortunately not in Melb originally despite seeing what was occuring especially in Sydney for its obvious the 2 main cities were going to go through massive hurdles.
Thankfully the lessons learnt due to being locked down for soso long you'd expect Melb has stepped up their game thank goodness for that.
May it long carry on for all States.
Yeah, words on a computer screen can be interpreted in a lot more ways than the spoken word. All good, FTE

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
2 users like this post:
Old 17-12-2020, 04:54 PM   #8258
leesa

Because it was done on foreign soil. Government-backed crimes committed in another country affect diplomatic relations... which is important in avoiding world war 3.
I'm not sure that the average american can see much further past the end of their nose.

Last edited by russellw; 18-12-2020 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Removed quoted post

Old 17-12-2020, 05:09 PM   #8259
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Can we get back on topic now please?
Old 17-12-2020, 05:20 PM   #8260
leesa

Yep, my bad. I think I struggle a little bit with low tolerance for various...impairments, I need to work on that. Next time I feel the urge to reply, I'll cut my fingers off so I can't.

Old 17-12-2020, 06:11 PM   #8261
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS
We are travelling back from a family gathering @ Nagambie in central Victoria - it was a party town. No masks, QR codes/sign-ins at venues but no really enforced, hand sanitiser bottles often empty, huge BBQs at the holiday park and some sort of market/party in the centre of town.

As soon as we crossed the Murray into Tocumwal things were strictly enforced again with each pub having a COVID Marshall, appropriate distancing and sign-ins enforced. More masks as well.

Happy to be back over the right side of the border.
Foxtrotgolf and FTE......Yes, words on a computer screen can sometimes be misunderstood.
might have spawned from this stupid comment.

Old 17-12-2020, 06:25 PM   #8262
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

MYFEO better than expected so here is hoping the Christmas/NY period is a good one to keep it going. It will be a test of how good we have done so hopefully quite a bit of domestic tourism and no major Covid outbreaks.
Old 17-12-2020, 06:58 PM   #8263
leesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
MYFEO better than expected so here is hoping the Christmas/NY period is a good one to keep it going. It will be a test of how good we have done so hopefully quite a bit of domestic tourism and no major Covid outbreaks.
It's already out in the community and borders have been open so it could be in every state by now.

I'm probably more cautious about it now than I was six months ago as people have gotten complacent, there's going to be a whole bunch of hugging over christmas and new years.

Old 17-12-2020, 07:06 PM   #8264
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Yes, it’s more than nine months since I hugged a stranger just to feel them squirm. :p And disappointed the previous “end of coronavirus in Sydney” (per the assessment of our rogue states) wasn’t celebrated in the CBD like VJ Day in Times Square.

This current uptick in Sydney has me quite concerned as numbers swell. I brought forward my regular shopping in by ten hours case panic buying resumed (and then ran out of fuel in 32° heat on my return ).
Old 17-12-2020, 07:07 PM   #8265
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

‘We want them infected,’ Trump HHS appointee said in email pushing to expose infants, kids and teens to Covid to reach ‘herd immunity’
  • A Trump Health and Human Services Department appointee repeatedly discussed pursuing a so-called herd immunity approach to the Covid-19 outbreak this summer, new emails obtained by a House subcommittee show.
  • Rep. James Clyburn, D-S.C., chairman of the Select Subcommittee on the Coronavirus Crisis, which obtained the emails, said the documents demonstrate “a pernicious pattern” of political interference.
  • Ousted HHS scientific advisor Paul Alexander, who was brought in by longtime Trump ally Michael Caputo, sent the emails around to other HHS officials.

A Trump appointee at the Department of Health and Human Services repeatedly pushed this summer to adopt a Covid-19 strategy in the U.S. that would keep businesses open while exposing “infants, kids, teens” and others to the coronavirus in an attempt to achieve so-called herd immunity, according to emails obtained by House lawmakers.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/12/16/we-w...-to-covid.html

So Trump was in favour of the herd immunity strategy? No wonder the US is the clusterf**k it is!
Old 17-12-2020, 07:16 PM   #8266
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
Is that the look of guilt or what?

Old 17-12-2020, 07:18 PM   #8267
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
A healthy society brings a healthy economy. Its quite simple. Thank god we didn't learn to "live with it" in Sept, Oct, Nov. 20,000 jobs advertised in Vic alone. Hopefully those impacted during the lock down and get back on their feet.
Old 17-12-2020, 07:21 PM   #8268
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickford. View Post

Yes, they could have used a better snap. More the look of "How did he/she get in here?"
Old 17-12-2020, 07:23 PM   #8269
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:

When was that photo taken?
Old 17-12-2020, 07:26 PM   #8270
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
The small writing under the photo states:
Quote:
NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian, NSW Health Minister Brad Hazzard and the state's Chief Health Officer Dr Kerry Chant at the State Emergency Operation Centre in Sydney Olympic Park in March.
March. Probably during the meeting when they all decided that the Ruby Princess had "no cases of concern" and everyone was allowed to disembark??

Last edited by Tickford.; 17-12-2020 at 07:33 PM.
Old 17-12-2020, 07:27 PM   #8271
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So Trump was in favour of the herd immunity strategy? No wonder the US is the clusterf**k it is!

So was the UK at the beginning. It was talked about within their gov, leaked into the media, and they back tracked. Its pretty obvious some parts of EU were also partially going for that strategy. Dare I say it, it nearly made it here....back in April our own Feds were in conversations with DT on Covid response.

"We had a very constructive discussion on our health responses to #COVID19 and the need to get our market-led and business centres economies up and running again."

Fortunately state premiers followed health advice. And now we reap the rewards. IMHO.
Old 17-12-2020, 07:27 PM   #8272
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Good point. According to Google Analytics, they recycled that from 8 months ago.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/rfs-...19-p54bup.html

Damn you MSM!

* ( added for RockSquid who has no SOH.)
Old 17-12-2020, 07:39 PM   #8273
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

17 cases (and rising) in Northern beaches of Sydney, in just 24 hours!

This is not good. The potential is there for further spread Australia wide as families prepare to travel interstate for Christmas.
Old 17-12-2020, 07:39 PM   #8274
Mr_G6ET
Ford G6ET FG MkII

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesa View Post
It's already out in the community and borders have been open so it could be in every state by now.

I'm probably more cautious about it now than I was six months ago as people have gotten complacent, there's going to be a whole bunch of hugging over christmas and new years.

Sanitise your hands, take a deep breath with clean clothes, watch what you touch and have that hug.
Thinking its under control, gone (trump like) is optimistic to say the least.
Old 17-12-2020, 07:52 PM   #8275
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

WA introduces self-quarantine for NSW visitors after northern beaches Covid outbreak

https://www.theguardian.com/australi...virus-outbreak

Queensland and South Australia also warn Christmas travellers they may reinstate coronavirus border restrictions.

NSW Health is asking EVERYONE in the northern beaches of Sydney to "STAY AT HOME".

Old 17-12-2020, 07:54 PM   #8276
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:

This is not good. The potential is there for further spread Australia wide as families prepare to travel interstate for Christmas.
Apparently some drummer in a band who did 4 gigs in the suburbs at clubs over 2 days. I wonder where he got it from?
Old 17-12-2020, 08:02 PM   #8277
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Quick, people in the north of Sydney, pack some bags and get out now. Drive (don't fly) interstate tonight so you can escape the lockdown that is imminent.

What could go wrong?
Old 17-12-2020, 08:19 PM   #8278
Mr_G6ET
Ford G6ET FG MkII

Quote:

Best wishes for NSW
Old 17-12-2020, 08:38 PM   #8279
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Look it down Gladys!
Old 17-12-2020, 08:52 PM   #8280
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
Apparently some drummer in a band who did 4 gigs in the suburbs at clubs over 2 days. I wonder where he got it from?
NSW Health authorities are highly suspicious that it is someone who has flown in from overseas.

Well then... how did it manage to escape hotel quarantine?

Maybe it's time for 14 days quarantine to increase to 21 days, plus a negative result on the 21st day before you are allowed to leave quarantine.

Not familiar with quarantine hotel protocols. Are travellers required to test negative before they're let out of quarantine?
Closed Thread