Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 29-05-2021, 12:23 PM   #10981
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 
Default Re: Covid 19 -

Data valid as at 00:00 GMT May 28th, 2021.

Note: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting.

11 new cases for Australia and no deaths so the CMR is 3.026%.

No cases and no deaths for NZ so CMR is 0.974% and active cases 21.

The UK had a higher 4,028 cases yesterday and 10 deaths.

Just over 28.5k new cases in the USA yesterday and 1,351 deaths sees CMR at 1.789%. Note that the USA is actually minus one day due to time differences.

Other notable points:
Global cases pass 170M, the last 1M taking 2 days;

Suriname (293);
Afghanistan (965) - the previous high on 3/6/20; and
Malaysia (8,290);

... recorded new daily highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

The Philippines and Kuwait move above the 90th percentile for their 10 day average while Iran drops below.

Observatio Facta Rotae

4 users like this post:
Old 29-05-2021, 12:56 PM   #10982
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Here's a question that I just though of. We're all being told that if we have c19 symptoms, no matter how mild, to go and get tested. Does that apply to someone who has had the vaccine? And does only having one han versus two make any difference? And if you have been vaccinated, and return a positive test result, are you still required to isolate?

My guess is, because the vaccination does not stop you from getting c19 or being able to transmit it to others, the expectation is that you should still test and isolate if you return a positive result. But is there any official information/guidance on that?

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
Old 29-05-2021, 01:32 PM   #10983
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

COVID-19 Vaccine For Animals Now Available In Russia For $7

https://www.ibtimes.com/covid-19-vac...ssia-7-3211205

https://www.reuters.com/business/hea...ia-2021-05-26/

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
Here's a question that I just though of. We're all being told that if we have c19 symptoms, no matter how mild, to go and get tested. Does that apply to someone who has had the vaccine? And does only having one han versus two make any difference? And if you have been vaccinated, and return a positive test result, are you still required to isolate?

My guess is, because the vaccination does not stop you from getting c19 or being able to transmit it to others, the expectation is that you should still test and isolate if you return a positive result. But is there any official information/guidance on that?
In the absence of any guidance, assume no change. It actually worries me a bit. Once vaccination hits 10-20% you are going to get people who think they are invincible / entitled and just do whatever.

Rang again this morning at 8:30am, and got a message saying too busy call back later.
This user likes this post:
Old 29-05-2021, 01:34 PM   #10984
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Rang again this morning at 8:30am, and got a message saying too busy call back later.
System crash again this morning.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/co...0-82786a57f088
Old 29-05-2021, 02:24 PM   #10985
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

While we are going into lockdown over about 30 confirmed cases, let's spare a though for parts of North and South America where a number of countries still have 14 day case numbers above 500 per 100k of population. Uruguay leads that list with 1,300, followed by Argentina (958), Costa Rica (618), Paraguay (540) and Colombia (507). There are a lot of other countries in the region with over 100 / 100k, including the USA which is still at 181.

To put that in perspective, the 14 day case total for Australia is 117 which represents 0.5 cases / 100k of population.

Africa has one country (Cabo Verde) above 400 (441) with most others being below 20 except Tunisia with 141.

Europe has been improving with only Lithuania (319) over 300 cases / 100k but Hungary (281), Latvia (271), France (232), Belgium (226), Denmark (223) and Greece (222) are all still high.

Most Asian countries have been improving but Bahrain (2,054) is a basket case while India (387), Nepal (376), Kuwait (365) and Georgia (353) are also well up in numbers.

Observatio Facta Rotae

4 users like this post:
Old 29-05-2021, 02:45 PM   #10986
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Four of Victoria's five new COVID-19 cases linked to delivery driver

Quote:
Health Minister Martin Foley says four of the five locally acquired COVID-19 cases recorded in the state on Saturday were related to a worker from a large food distribution centre who travelled across Melbourne over a ten-day period.

The person, who was among the 12 new cases reported on Thursday, visited a number of food stores across seven suburbs, including Reservoir, Epping and Dandenong, during his infectious period.
https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/melbo...?ocid=msedgntp
2 users like this post:
Old 29-05-2021, 07:07 PM   #10987
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Why Victoria SHOULDN'T be in lockdown: Labor government is blamed

Quote:
Victoria's coronavirus lockdown is unnecessary because there are no mystery cases and could have been avoided if the state government had set up a universal QR code check-in system, a diseases expert has told Daily Mail Australia.

The infectious diseases expert pointed out that when Melbourne suffered an outbreak in January, centered at the Smile Buffalo Thai restaurant in Black Rock, lockdown was not required and the spread was snuffed out by contact tracing and isolating.

He also said New South Wales has shown on several occasions how to keep an outbreak at bay without needing a big lockdown.

'If you look at New South Wales, they haven't had city-wide lockdowns or statewide lockdowns with larger numbers of infections and have been able to control the spread,' he explained.

He pointed out that New South Wales had taken far more travellers through the hotel quarantine system but had not needed a broad lockdown like Victoria.

'So far Victoria's lockdown policy has caused a lot of pain and hardship but without a better end result than New South Wales has obtained with more risk in New South Wales because they take more returned travellers.

'They need to find out what New South Wales has done and copy at least some of it,' he said.
https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/austr...?ocid=msedgdhp
Old 29-05-2021, 07:38 PM   #10988
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

im sorry but you keep banging on on crap
theres always some one going to say if this that can be better but it isnt theirs to do so
Quote:
all coronavirus lockdown is unnecessary because the feds should control the quarantine system better than they have , then there would be no need for worrying about what might escape in to the community and no need for any lockdowns
and the QR code isnt the be all and end all

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
Old 29-05-2021, 08:06 PM   #10989
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No quarantine system would be perfect.

Unless you expect the workers to get around in full hazmat suits, and for them to live on site and never leave.

Considering its quite possible that this virus originally escaped from a secure facility (Wuhan lab) , then there will always be an opportunity for a breach.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
Old 29-05-2021, 08:15 PM   #10990
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodahs View Post
im sorry but you keep banging on on crap
theres always some one going to say if this that can be better but it isnt theirs to do so

and the QR code isnt the be all and end all
Deep breaths. Don't bite. Just look at the avatar...
Old 29-05-2021, 08:37 PM   #10991
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

And whacko the chook! 2 days straight Danturkistan has bested the GSS!

https://covidlive.com.au/report/vaccinations
Old 29-05-2021, 10:15 PM   #10992
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

I got my jab today.

Was chatting with a friend of mine yesterday to see if she wanted to go for a run today. She said she'd pass today and aim for Sunday as she had a cold. Asked her how she was feeling today and she said the cold was terrible. Asked her if she'd had a 'rona test. She said no, but that she was up at the vacc centre getting the jab. I told her I was booked in for Monday and she said I should just walk in today. Said no walk-ins only for AZ. She said she was getting Pfizer as a walk-in. So, got myself up to the vacc centre and got the jab.

A friend of mine is the lead infectious control nurse at the local hospital and she was there overseeing the vacc centre. Mentioned to her that I was surprised that they were taking walk-ins as it was not in line with the government advice. She said they were so quiet that they were happy to take walk-ins, for both vaccine types. She also said they were expecting to be busy from Monday onward as that is when the bookings from the vaccine hotline were starting.

When I got there, I spent about 5 to 10 minutes registering, got shown straight through to a nurse to get the jab, then 15 minutes to see if there were any adverse reactions.

So, first jab done and need t book in for 3 weeks time to get the 2nd one.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3 users like this post:
Old 29-05-2021, 10:31 PM   #10993
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post

Why Melbourne yet again? The factors that fed into the latest coronavirus lockdown

https://www.theshovel.com.au/2021/05...**ing-nothing/
Old 29-05-2021, 10:54 PM   #10994
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Victorians are right to be dismayed by the federal government’s failures in pandemic policies

The latest lockdown is a result of the mishandling of the vaccine rollout and quarantine system.

As they enter the “circuit-breaker” lockdown, Victorians are entitled to be dismayed by the multiple failures in Australian government pandemic policies that have required the use of such blunt but necessary measures to contain this outbreak.

By the end of 2020, the Australian people had done the hard work required to achieve sustained zero local transmission of Covid-19. Victorians had endured a 15-week winter lockdown that eliminated Australia’s most serious and deadly outbreak of Covid-19.

Having done so well in the emergency phase of the pandemic response, Australians were entitled to expect that the federal government would rapidly implement policies on quarantine and vaccination critical to securing these magnificent achievements, and to bolster our defences against the virus.

These expectations were dashed.

The federal government avoided its constitutional responsibilities in relation to quarantine.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...droidApp_Other
Old 29-05-2021, 10:58 PM   #10995
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

https://www.9news.com.au/national/me...1-d3b226ecb247
Old 29-05-2021, 10:59 PM   #10996
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I got my jab today.

Was chatting with a friend of mine yesterday to see if she wanted to go for a run today. She said she'd pass today and aim for Sunday as she had a cold. Asked her how she was feeling today and she said the cold was terrible. Asked her if she'd had a 'rona test. She said no, but that she was up at the vacc centre getting the jab. I told her I was booked in for Monday and she said I should just walk in today. Said no walk-ins only for AZ. She said she was getting Pfizer as a walk-in. So, got myself up to the vacc centre and got the jab.

A friend of mine is the lead infectious control nurse at the local hospital and she was there overseeing the vacc centre. Mentioned to her that I was surprised that they were taking walk-ins as it was not in line with the government advice. She said they were so quiet that they were happy to take walk-ins, for both vaccine types. She also said they were expecting to be busy from Monday onward as that is when the bookings from the vaccine hotline were starting.

When I got there, I spent about 5 to 10 minutes registering, got shown straight through to a nurse to get the jab, then 15 minutes to see if there were any adverse reactions.

So, first jab done and need t book in for 3 weeks time to get the 2nd one.
Nice one! Which centre if you don't mind me asking? Might give it a crack.
Old 29-05-2021, 11:03 PM   #10997
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Nice one! Which centre if you don't mind me asking? Might give it a crack.
I'm out at Sale, in Gippsland so may be a bit of a drive for you.

My sister is in Craigieburn so I suggested to her that she should jump in the car and travel down here to get her jab. Would probably still be quicker than lining up at a Melbourne vacc centre!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 29-05-2021, 11:11 PM   #10998
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

More bull****, lies and propaganda by Greg hunt...

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-...oses/100172368

Last edited by GasoLane; 30-05-2021 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Circumventing the swear filter
Old 29-05-2021, 11:18 PM   #10999
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
The whole discussion around complacency is interesting, and so is this opinion piece from the fed gov's no one fan at The Age / SMH.

PM’s complacency is infectious. It’s time he caught the quarantine fever
https://www.smh.com.au/politics/fede...28-p57w74.html

Lets be honest, the cause of this outbreak was not vaccine or QR code complacency. It was two things. Hotel quarantine bugger up, and complacency in getting tested when people had the smallest of symptoms. Park the hotel quarantine bugger up for a sec, had the initial cases got tested early, rather than running around for 12 days and going to work whilst feeling unwell, we wouldn't even be talking about a lock down. I heard an epidemiologist say the 7 days is needed because of the amount of time the infectious cases were in the wild.
Old 29-05-2021, 11:21 PM   #11000
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I'm out at Sale, in Gippsland so may be a bit of a drive for you.

My sister is in Craigieburn so I suggested to her that she should jump in the car and travel down here to get her jab. Would probably still be quicker than lining up at a Melbourne vacc centre!
I would consider it! Its about a 3.5hr drive, same place where I picked up my pup. Nice cruise out there. Wonder if the cops pulled me over whether it would stand though.....its one of the 5 reason
Old 29-05-2021, 11:29 PM   #11001
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
Old 29-05-2021, 11:30 PM   #11002
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickford. View Post
More bull****, lies and propaganda by Greg Khunt...

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-...oses/100172368

Just out of interest do you happen to own a red shirt?
Old 29-05-2021, 11:35 PM   #11003
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
While we are going into lockdown over about 30 confirmed cases, let's spare a though for parts of North and South America where a number of countries still have 14 day case numbers above 500 per 100k of population. Uruguay leads that list with 1,300, followed by Argentina (958), Costa Rica (618), Paraguay (540) and Colombia (507). There are a lot of other countries in the region with over 100 / 100k, including the USA which is still at 181.

To put that in perspective, the 14 day case total for Australia is 117 which represents 0.5 cases / 100k of population.

Africa has one country (Cabo Verde) above 400 (441) with most others being below 20 except Tunisia with 141.

Europe has been improving with only Lithuania (319) over 300 cases / 100k but Hungary (281), Latvia (271), France (232), Belgium (226), Denmark (223) and Greece (222) are all still high.

Most Asian countries have been improving but Bahrain (2,054) is a basket case while India (387), Nepal (376), Kuwait (365) and Georgia (353) are also well up in numbers.
I cant stomach comparing how we manage it here to the basket cases over seas.

Victoria's reaction and response is disproportionate and smacks of a lack of leadership and commitment.

Lock the Greater Melbourne, fine, but the whole state...why?

I should check but those 30 odd current cases include those already and newly in hotel qaurantine..so in theory little risk to the community and nothing to do with the current "outbreak".

By about day 5-6 it will be interesting as long as the testing numbers are still high.

But to shut the whole state for this is outrageous, its very easy to sit back and compliment the government because in this case taking the action they have will end in either;

1. told you so, we have many new cases, its justified
2. no new or little cases, winning, shutdown did the trick

So they cant loose, but, check the cost this time around and with no financial support....but, why cant they do the NSW model and localise lockdowns...give some incentive for communities to do the right thing.

Imagine being in Mildura and in lockdown because some twat in Epping went shopping...

There are so many people who could be going about there normal lives with Greater Melbourne locked down, you may get a case here and there in those areas but you havent financially and mentally damage the majority.

We need to handle outbreaks better as a nation, not just one state. Victoria's latest reaction is weak.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
3 users like this post:
Old 29-05-2021, 11:37 PM   #11004
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officemanager View Post
Just out of interest do you happen to own a red shirt?
Yeah... she left it behind a few days a ago. Can you ask her if she wants it back?

Old 29-05-2021, 11:42 PM   #11005
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I’m interested in the significant number of experts, authorities (singular persons) and commentators here (Australia, not AFF ). It seems you can find one to suit any position or narrative.

Has anyone created a graphical representation of them all, to show interplay of command? Which one(s) are your personal favourite(s)? Reasons don’t have to be sensible!
3 users like this post:
Old 30-05-2021, 12:03 AM   #11006
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
Lock the Greater Melbourne, fine, but the whole state...why?
This is what a lot of outer staters don't get. Victoria is 3 times more densely populated than say NSW, who is the most populated state in the country. And the way people travel and socialise here need to be factored in. Weren't there cases already in regional areas, with one quite close to the NSW border? We didn't go into lock down when the Northern Beaches leaked into Vic because the chap got tested early.

The localised shut down in the Northern Beaches worked because there were what, 2 or 3 bridges going in and out lol. Try localise a shut down here, different ball game. You'd have to set up the ring of steel again. Vic Pol isn't resourced to do it.

Can't lose? You mean can't win. Shut down, they get slagged to high hell as they are now, and massive hit to the economy. No shut down, it spreads, "oh they are murderers". I don't think they are coming out smelling like roses out of this one. Votes are going out the door.

Also, we keep praising ourselves for how well we have handled the pandemic in comparison with other countries, yet we keep criticising the way we respond when there is a leak.

Last edited by T3rminator; 30-05-2021 at 12:15 AM.
2 users like this post:
Old 30-05-2021, 12:11 AM   #11007
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
This is what a lot of outer staters don't get. Victoria is 3 times more densely populated than say NSW, who is the most populated state in the country. And the way people travel and socialise here need to be factored in. Weren't there cases already in regional areas, with one quite close to the NSW border? We didn't go into lock down when the Northern Beaches leaked into Vic because the chap got tested early.

The localised shut down in the Northern Beaches worked because there were what, 2 or 3 bridges going in and out lol. Try localise a shut down here, different ball game. You'd have to set up the ring of steel again. Vic Pol isn't resourced to do it.

Can't lose? You mean can't win. Shut down, they get slagged to high hell as they are now, and massive hit to the economy. No shut down, it spreads, "oh they are murderers". I don't think they are coming out smelling like roses out of this one. Votes are going out the door.
The ring of steel can be done quite easily but as stated by you there were some country localities connected to the spread.
I think this time the entire state lockdown was pushed by the Health department as they are **** scared with the contagious nature of the Indian variant and are not taking any chances.
Old 30-05-2021, 01:01 AM   #11008
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good to see we finally hit the March vaccination target before the end of May

Lesson learned. If you tell people it's no rush then don't be surprised that people are not rushing to get it done before you even get to all the issues with the roll out.
Old 30-05-2021, 02:10 AM   #11009
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351 View Post
I was in Tassie just over a month ago and now I'm in the NT, the weather is way better up here........
Hell yeah, tassie is a crap hole.

Please tell all your friends to go to NT...or QLD...or SA...Or anywhere else.

It's freezing in tassie....freezing...top of 11 today...brrrrrr

(It's the red triangle with exclamation mark on the left)
Old 30-05-2021, 11:05 AM   #11010
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
Hell yeah, tassie is a crap hole.
Tassie has got the all clear now. They were offered a one-off family pass for a free vaccination.

Almost 550,000 people rocked up.
3 users like this post:
Closed Thread