Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-11-2020, 08:36 PM   #1
xkxlxm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default New wiper blades ...

... after 13 years. What a difference they make (Surprise!).

I bought the car new in December 2007. Built in October 2007. 208,000 ks.
xkxlxm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2020, 09:39 PM   #2
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: New wiper blades ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkxlxm View Post
... after 13 years. What a difference they make (Surprise!).

I bought the car new in December 2007. Built in October 2007. 208,000 ks.
Who'd have thought.
Now for the oil.
Old 06-11-2020, 10:00 PM   #3
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

You got 13 years out of your wiper blades?!?!

What did you do? Keep them soaked in Vaseline and wrapped in cling wrap?

I feel your joy. 3 years ago I replaced just the rubber blade with cheap nasty inserts and they squeaked and made noise every time they were used.

Repco has 40% off their branded blades and got their cheap universal ones that apparently don't fit my car.

Well, they clicked straight in and work amazingly well while being whisper quiet.

Not bad for $26 the pair.

I keep thinking something is wrong with them because they don't make noise... I'm just so used to it.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2020, 06:54 AM   #4
xkxlxm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The wiper blades were stuffed long ago. (The oil gets changed about every 10,000 ks or less.)
Old 07-11-2020, 09:48 AM   #5
Blue Dog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The wiper blades were stuffed long ago. (The oil gets changed about every 10,000 ks or less.)
Looks like you can afford to change engine oil frequently, due to the savings made on wiper blades....................
Blue Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-11-2020, 02:18 PM   #6
TICKFORD220
2009 Fg xr6 turbo

Ive used trico brand wiper arms last couple of times,seem good value for around $30 odd for the pair,nice and quiet,no stuffing around with blades,just click in the complete new arm,look way better than faded stock arms.
TICKFORD220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2020, 11:59 AM   #7
xkxlxm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm getting a bit off the 'new wipers' topic a bit here but when I got them fitted I also had the brake fluid and coolant changed. They also did a couple of small upgrades to software stuff. Anyway, this morning I started to remove the wheels partly in order to reinstall the wheel nuts the way I do it, the old-fashioned way, and were they super tight, as usual! Long extension bar needed.

Remove the stones from the tyre treads and look for nails etc. Small piece of aluminium only just stuck in one tyre. Next tyre: nail embedded in one groove. One more wheel to go.

Why do so many scumbag deadsh*ts leave their freaking nails and screws all over the roads?

Put the spare on and now I am supposed to limit speed to 80k. (It's one size smaller than the other 4 tyres - I guess Hyundai saved millions by putting that size spare on hundreds of thousands of first generation i30s.)
Old 13-11-2020, 09:27 PM   #8
fps_grandma

I could only stretch out almost 4 years from some Michelin Hydroedge blades from Costco especially since it spent weekdays parked out in the sun for a couple of years and each wiper wouldn't wipe enough rain droplets after a while.

Then I came across this video considering the UV Index during summer is at extreme levels:

It looks like you can get Bosch Icons from the Australian Amazon site now but it's too early to replace wiper blades now after seeing this thread and fitting Bosch AeroTwins myself recently.

Quote:
Put the spare on and now I am supposed to limit speed to 80k. (It's one size smaller than the other 4 tyres - I guess Hyundai saved millions by putting that size spare on hundreds of thousands of first generation i30s.)
I'm guessing maybe even space savers are too heavy for some people to lift. Not fun to change a flat in wet weather.

Last edited by fps_grandma; 13-11-2020 at 09:50 PM.
fps_grandma is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2020, 09:59 PM   #9
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

I just bought a pair of aerotwins for the AU for $43.

I thought they were that good of value I bought 2 pairs.
PG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post