Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 19-02-2006, 12:01 AM   #1
cat21
Starter Motor

Default EB Help - electrical

Hi

Just looking for some advice with my EB wagon.

Today I had to get jump-started after it had been running okay. I thought...oh well...the run home should charge it okay. Had no trouble on the 40 minute trip home.

Turned it off at home, went to start it out of curiosity and - no go. The interior light would barely work.

Checked battery...found most of the cells needed topping up. Not drastically but they still needed a drink.

Took battery out and charged it up. When the light went green, put it back in the car and tried again. No go...doesn't even click and I don't have enough juice to even put the interior light on.

Does this mean my battery is dead? I'm hoping so cause I don't want to fork out for a new alternator, I had a new one put in just on 2 yrs ago when I had the engine replaced. The battery is about 2 yrs old, but I have noticed around the terminals etc there has been a lot of crud, which I have cleaned off with hot water.

Also when I tried to charge it and we lifted it up to put back in the car, there was water on the floor where the battery was.

Please help, I hate calling a mechanic for things like this because they tend to treat me like a dumb female (Female - yes: Dumb - NOT!)

Thanks

Cathy

cat21 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2006, 12:03 AM   #2
gthofan
Gunna girlie-man

my best bet is the alternator. to check, just get a multimeter to measure the charge going back into the battery

<INSERT WITTY SIGNATURE HERE>

Daily- 05' BA futura... work done.
Cruiser- 85' VK berlina... more work done
gthofan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2006, 12:07 AM   #3
cat21
Starter Motor

OKay I have a multi meter...how do I check the charge going back?

I read a couple of posts that say check when engine is running etc, but I can;t do that:(

And if its the alternator wouldn't I be able to start with a freshly charged battery??

I got jump-starts twice today and it ran no probs.
Old 19-02-2006, 12:14 AM   #4
gthofan
Gunna girlie-man

hmmm, im not too sure what u have to set the multimeter voltage too, but ill do a google search...

oh, even with a freshly charged battery it doesent start?? only with a jump start the car will run

Old 19-02-2006, 12:15 AM   #5
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

If you've given the battery a charge, then put it back in the car, and you can't run the interior light... I'd be throwing out the battery.

I'd say the alternator kept your car going while you were driving home after the jump start, and the battery didn't want to accept the charge!
Captain Stubing is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2006, 12:18 AM   #6
gthofan
Gunna girlie-man

well then its the battery that is faulty, but if you can, just try another battery from another car and see what happens

Old 19-02-2006, 12:23 AM   #7
snypereb
[EBGLT]

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Get a new battery mate i had the same problem but my car was sitting there for 6 months!!

Become an E-Series Owners Club Member Today!
http://eseries.com.au/index.php/membership/
snypereb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2006, 12:35 AM   #8
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Most multimeters are limited to 10amps, which is below the power an alternator can provide.

Just put the black (Neg) lead in Com or -ve, put the red lead in +ve, switch the meter to 20 DCV (something higher than 12 volts), and put the leads on the battery terminals. Red to +ve, black to -ve.

If the meter reads over 12 volts, the battery has got charge in it. If it's down below 10, and you've had it charged for a few hours... forget it! Replace the battery.
Captain Stubing is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2006, 12:53 AM   #9
hako
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Regularly gives valued, considered advice to others. 

The battery sounds like it has lost capacity - it will charge to 12.4V but as soon as you put a load on it will quickly die. If it was low on water and there is water under the battery then the case is probably cracked and leaking. 2 years is average for a standard battery which most people buy. Yours is definitely dead - finish.
The EB has a special battery which fits into a battery box but you can also fit other batteries with a bit of manouvering.
hako is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2006, 02:31 AM   #10
Rexy74

battery i would say, i have just replaced the battery and alternator after being stuck in the middle of nowhere 270 kms from Perth! My problem was the alt after the battery warning light came on then the check a.b.s. light and the car started losing power until she came to a complete stop. to cut a long story short i got the car home after 3 days of a nightmare trip and $309 for parts and $200 in fuel!
Rexy74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2006, 11:00 AM   #11
cat21
Starter Motor

Default Thanks

Thats whay I was worried about Rexy, as I travel country WA to visit my husband, who works away.

I have noticed the battery has been a little low on water a few times in the past 3 months, but I've had no problems starting, or keeping on going for that matter, so I merely kept checking it along with my oil and other fluids.

Thanks eveyone, I'm off to get a new battery this morning.

Cathy