Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 13-02-2007, 12:25 AM   #451
Annie1962
Annie

Quote:
Originally Posted by max^power
Get rid of salt from your diet - it's hard but i've done it, takes longer to shop for food, but you'll be amazed how much salt is in some foods. I've avoided medication by doing this and the doc is pleased with my results, my condition is genetic and dad has high BP, although is one of the fittest people i know.
Oh yes definitely.. salt is a killer. There is so much hidden salt in foods we buy that we are all feeding potential heart attack victims of the future.

Recently my ex bought me three months in a recreation centre. I opted for aquarobics and use of the pool, sauna, and steam rooms. I've been doing aquarobics for about a month or more now and doing laps straight after. I can't do any gym stuff because I tore my knee cartilage, so swimming is ideal for me.

I have definitely lost weight!!!

Also I buy a lot of fresh foods and that way I control the salt levels in my food. No sugar, no full cream milk in my coffee and I am feeling SOOO much fitter and stronger now.

I've gained muscle and lost weight.. sleeping better too!

Once I get the chance to weigh myself, I'll mention the weight loss
Old 05-03-2007, 08:33 PM   #452
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

just thought that id post up a update ..

Did a Bit of Gym today with my Trainer , and he said that i am Right where i need to be Weight Wise , im not @ 83 what i was aiming for , but 86 is still good ,

We are Devising a Plan now for me to Build some MEGA Muscle , so he thinks by this time next year , my weight will be at 95 , but ill be less than 10% Body Fat ..

Buff!

AU2PWR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2007, 09:47 PM   #453
Shrude
'74 Landau Apollo Blue.

I cant diet , i usually need two diets. There inst enough food in one.
Shrude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2007, 03:27 PM   #454
Resofour
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrude
I cant diet , i usually need two diets. There inst enough food in one.
I know the feeling its tough going until after week 2 then its plain sailing and amazing how sweet some foods taste after you stop eating them for a while.
Old 18-04-2007, 10:17 PM   #455
Cruise

i just need to get motivated ive lost wieght before but then got lazy and put it back on (with interest) so i just dont know what to do.
Cruise is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2007, 10:40 PM   #456
DJR David
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Get fit now for free!!!!!!!

Try this

www.c25k.com

The couch to 5km program

It is a site that shows how you can go from sitting on your backside, to being able to run 5 km in just 9 weeks.

It is FREE, and you can use the link to get the FREE podcast for your ipod. The idea is for the first week you jog for 1 minute, then walk for 1.5mins repeat etc. Then over the 9 weeks you increase until you can run for 5 k straight!!! The podcast makes it easy, with a guy who says things like ' okay now start to run now' and then tells you when to walk, then run etc. All to good music

How do I know this works??

I finished week 9 last week. I can now run 5 km easy, yet 9 weeks ago I couldnt run to the front door

give it a go!!

My wife is on week 4 and loving it too

good luck

get fit

David

Last edited by DJR David; 18-04-2007 at 10:47 PM.
DJR David is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2007, 10:14 AM   #457
Tribal
OCD keeps me busy...

Hi all, just noticed this thread and thought I'd contribute my experience with diets and weight loss.

Start of last year I was around 97kg (I am 35 yo and 6' tall) and knew I had to do something sustainable for my health (as I am also a smoker), that would also help me develop good habits. So I started doing Taekwondo with my son who is now 6.

Well after a year of training 2-3 times a week for roughly 1-2 hours, I am back to a much healthier 83kg and have never felt fitter. The upside to all of this are all the extra skills I have learnt (i.e. kicking, boxing, self defence, stretching etc), and wanting to keep learning and improving only serves to keep me in better shape. It also helps with all of the friends I have made to keep going back regardless of the pain and effort you have to put in - (but makes that cold beer at the end of each session even more worthwhile).

I am about 12 months away from getting my Black Belt, something I hadn't even considered a year and a half ago - amazing what you can do once you decide you can.

If anyone in the western suburbs of Melb is interested in Taekwondo training - PM me for details.

cheers,
Ben
Tribal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2007, 03:52 AM   #458
otobuilder

whatever method of exercise, most importantly drink lots of water and i believe this berry water helps. check it out below.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2007, 01:45 AM   #459
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

It's been some time since i posted but i just had to come in and share a good weight loss that i have been going through since the start of april this year..
No diet just a new way of eating and looking at life.
I gave up chips deep fried foods and anything chocolate etc.. I now watch my fat intake and do not like to go above 10g per 100grams in anything i eat, And in this time i have found many snacks that are good for me along the way.. WEight watchers have some fruit bars they are yum and go down great, Rice crackers have almost no fat at all, Pretzels i found some 99% fat free ones, Also found some very o low fat grated cheese if i have some pasta, Basically everything i eat is checked first i have my limits and times of the day i eat certant things and at night i try not to build the carbs up harder to work of...
I started a little jog in the house at night watching TV, First i could only do 2.3 min sweating and cramping all over, Over the 3 months i can not comfortably do it for 14min, I also tried to run my block got half way at first then got to the park, 3 months on i could see my house and nothing was going to stop me from getting there.
So in 3 months i have lost 12.4kg as of sunday, No diet just smart eating and my appetite has slightly dropped i now don't eat anywhere near what i could eat before, And if i have a large tea i get very sore in the tummy..
I don't believe in diets there short term that's how i failed last time i did one, This way i can eat happy not starve and eat a great verity of foods that are low in fat and good for me, And i feel it and my clothes do also
People tell me i need some type of time out i cant do it all the time, So we has a pizza and i felt sick thinking the weight will hit me:(.. 3-4 days later i dropped 1kg it didnt hit me but i still felt really bad for eating it..
I got my low fat snacks and even going out i like to go to mcdonalds and grab a healthy choice roll multigrain rolls used to make me sick looking at them, But now i enjoy one.. When i used to go to the pictures my thing was 1litre diet coke and 1 bag of twisties cheese.. Now i still take the diet coke but i go with rice crackers instead..
Hopefully i can come back in another 3 months or more and say hey i lost the same..

My goals have been passed i'm as light as when i was 23 and if only my left knee wasn't so stuffed i would feel it to.. Next goal is another 10kg until my ultimate goal of getting myself under 100kg and out of the mr big section:P.
Old 27-06-2007, 02:06 AM   #460
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Slick your back. Thought we'd lost you.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2007, 07:20 PM   #461
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

I've just had one of them bad patches where all that could go wrong did:(.. Thought i would wonder over and see the Orion best place to see and read all info.
Old 21-07-2007, 06:26 PM   #462
belz82
two goldfish & a balloon

personally i've been on the tony ferguson program since the start of april, and have dropped 18kg. like anything, you need to follow it to the letter for it to work. when you get to your goal weight, you go on a maintenance plan, so as you don't regain the weight, which is good.

just couldn't handle the thought of having to roll down the isle at church looking like a rolled roast beef.... i'm getting there though

belinda.
belz82 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2007, 06:54 PM   #463
Kommandant
ED4LYFE

Yeah i'm on tony furguson as well, although i havn't been following it to the letter, lately i've been having chocolate and other bad things, guess I really should get back into it, was doing so well. I've been on it for about two months, started at 113kg, I'm now 96kg, so 17kg lost and about 10cm off my waist.

You have two shakes a day, two pieces of fruit, a main meal and 200gr of steak, you can also have unlimited vegies and salad (Which I take advantage of with the salad)

I used to prefer bad foods (crave), now I crave salad, definatly my choice in foods has improved.
Old 24-07-2007, 02:03 PM   #464
2002auxr6
Drunk!

yeah ive been on it for 3 weeks lost 5kg first week 2 second and 2 in the third, doing ok, not getting hungry and you do need to follow it propelly which means no caffine which took a while to get used to
Old 05-08-2007, 04:52 PM   #465
Resofour
Starter Motor

CKD = Cyclic Ketogenic Dieting is extremely effective way of getting rod of fat done properly. stops hunger and feeling like if done properly, i've gone from flabs to abs a few times using it.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:18 PM   #466
SSBUB
SSuper SSpy

Hi Guys just noticed this thread. Kudos to all of you for taking your health seriously. I am a personal trainer and have a good understanding of this sort of thing so dont hesitate to ask any questions. I have noticed that some of the information over the pages arent quite correct - but im not going to play the moral high ground here because your all trying and that is awesome! Just know i do this sort of thing for a living, so feel free to use me
SSBUB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2007, 11:43 PM   #467
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

I had my first session with a personal trainer today.
We went through my medical and fitness history, and then set a goal of a 10kg loss in 5 months.
(My GP says I need to lose 20kg, but the trainer and I think that is unrealistic. Even if I got there, I doubt it would be maintainable)

I currently follow pretty much a diabetic diet, as I have PCOS which can lead to diabetes later if I don't watch it now.

I've also got VERY weak ankles, and have torn all the ligaments in both, which was why I stopped doing pretty much all exercise.

The trainer found I favour my right side over my left (probably to protect my ankle), and that my left thigh and arm are bigger than my right. I'm doing balance exercises to try and build up the muscles, and a lot of core work, bike, rowing and weights.

I have 2 sessions a week there, and I can do all of the floor work at home on the days I don't go.

I also need to lose 14cm off my waist.

My ankles are aching right now, and probably will each time I go for the first few weeks, but if it helps me in the long run, then that will be worth it.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2007, 12:25 PM   #468
SSBUB
SSuper SSpy

what sort of exercises has he/she got ya to do if ya dont mind me asking? Cant be easy when ya have sore ankles
Old 15-09-2007, 12:32 PM   #469
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

I hope I can describe this ok, cause I can't remember what she called it, but I had to stand on half a ball with a flat platform on top, on one foot for 30 seconds, and then the other for 30 seconds, and repeat 6 times.
I had a frame around me to grab onto so I didn't fall, but I was worse on my left foot than my right. Session was at 11am yesterday, and after 7pm I had to take some pain relief. My right ankle was aching more than my left, because I still favour it I guess, but it happens sometimes if I do a lot of walking or try running.

I did do physio after I tore all the ligaments in my right ankle at 15, but my left ankle was done when I was 8 or 9, and my parents didn't even take me to a doctor afterwards.

Other than that I did some cycling, rowing, weights, I had to sit one the floor leaning back and twist from side to side holding a medicine ball , and *bad description following* something where I had to lay on my back and push myself off a board with my feet, and my shins at a 90 degree angle to the ceiling, which I also felt stretching my ankles.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford

Last edited by Feathers; 15-09-2007 at 12:38 PM.
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2007, 07:12 PM   #470
SSBUB
SSuper SSpy

ah ok cool - sounds like shes trying to strengthen you ankles with some balancing work...good job!
Old 03-10-2007, 08:24 PM   #471
Dazza TT
Now Prado Powered

I'll have a crack here.

Starting weight- 140kg (was 150kg a few months ago, so getting there)

2 Years ago when I finally put the smokes down, I was 120kg. I then skyrocketed to 150kg, thanks to the lack of smokes and the increased food intake to compensate.

Back in High School, I got down to 80kg. I was almost too skinny! I'll be happy and comfortable at around 100kg.

After moving about the state, I've finally settled, and it's time to lose the kilos!
I've picked up a CSIRO cookbook, and I've joined www.calorieking.com.au to keep a track on everything. Picked the golf clubs back up, and I'm walking 30 minutes everyday.

Cheers

Darran
Old 08-10-2007, 04:44 PM   #472
PunkXR6
[YEEAAH]

Hey guys i just wanna share my story.

Im pretty underweight for my age, height ect. my muscle defination is good, but... i have no muscles! cept i got abs that stand out alot.

Over the school Holidyas i do a program of random push up time, 30 to 60 sit ups (with the little twist at the end) and 10 chin ups every hour. It seems to work well, but incredibly i have gian NO WEIGHT what so ever. i have only had the time to do these crazy pull-your-weight days only twice over the holidays (work commitments) and it looks as though i have got a little bit of meat on me, but i kinda expected at least 1 and a bit kilo increase...
The chin up per hour goes from 9 till 5 making that uhhhh 90 chin ups a day.

I play hockey, but know being the off season i have lost all motivation ot run, i usually represent the school in X country, but i dont think that will happen (considering its my last year )

I guess its just a family trait.

Any suggestions, oh im not a gym person so count me out on that...
thanks

oh yeah my weight n stuff
weight 55kg
height 170cm
Old 23-10-2007, 01:33 PM   #473
pb02
inconceivable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkXR5
Hey guys i just wanna share my story.

Im pretty underweight for my age, height ect. my muscle defination is good, but... i have no muscles! cept i got abs that stand out alot.

/snip

Any suggestions, oh im not a gym person so count me out on that...
thanks

oh yeah my weight n stuff
weight 55kg
height 170cm
Diet is also a big factor, what is yours like? The program your doing now would probably being doing little or nothing.... If you want to gain muscle you have to lift weights!!!
If you really don't want to I would suggest ditching your program as you need something with higher intensity. Try something like pushups with your feet on a chair, also vary your hand position, wide, standard, and narrow.
Chin ups should be with a wide grip, SLOWLY lower yourself and explode on the up movement. Aim for 15-20, rest a couple of minutes, 10-15, rest again, 10, rest again, and the last set do as many as possible but focus on a slow and controlled downward movement.
Situps the same, use different excercises, try russian getups. You will need a little bit of weight (even a heavy book will do). and look at other excercises to develop core strength.
Work your legs too, squats, calf raises etc. all can be done without weight or with a backpack full of books.

Good luck!
pb02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2007, 08:57 PM   #474
Dazza TT
Now Prado Powered

I'm now down to 138kg. Slowly peeling it off.
The slower it comes off the better if you ask me.

Cheers
Old 24-10-2007, 04:25 PM   #475
vfavictory

Default You Can Do It!!!

I've just lost 11kg out of my target of 15kg. Was 115, now 104. I'm 6' 2" so i'm natualy heavy anyway. It's been 11 weeks so far and going well.

I had a nasty motorbike accident 2 years ago and the physio said i would be better off in the long run if i took some weight off my bad knee.

i have lost 11kgs without any exercise in the first 10 weeks, 4 beers (+ or - 2) a night and i've never gone hungry...So if anyone wants to loose weight but can't be f exercising..You can do it!!

As weight loss goes, it is 80% what goes in your mouth, exercise is an added bonus that helps you along with further weight loss gains plus increases your cardio fitness.

The way i'm doing it is cutting out as much fat as possible and having a balanced diet of carbs and proteins with 6 to 7 meals a day. Whenever i feel hungry i snack on fruits, sultanas, no-fat yogurt etc, basically anything with little fat as possible. On saying that i still allow about 10-15g of Olive oil and seseme oil in my diet a day to give my body the good fats it needs and uses.

I look better and feel great. I just started exercising last week so it can only help things along.

Wanted to live to see the kids grow up, so, sold the bike....
vfavictory is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2007, 04:49 PM   #476
FlipXW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am currently 17, about 5'8 and i weigh 63kgs. I really wanted to get into footy so i started weight training about two years ago and set myself a goal of 75-80kgs. In that time my strength has increased greatly. Currently benching 86kgs +bar, not bad for a bloke of my weight/size. I have toned up and i feel good which is great however i have olny put on 4kgs in all this time. I was upto 66kgs but then i also started road cycling and have since dropped back down to 63kgs. As i would still love to get back into footy next year i was wondering if anyone has any tips to help me gain some weight as i will be playing senoirs and dont fancy being tossed around like a rag doll. Cheers.
FlipXW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2007, 11:54 PM   #477
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

I have just read this thread and Kudos to all you guys. I have a different weight problem..I have been a little off colour lately (illness) and find I either lose between 3 to 5 kilos a week (which is alot) or I put it back on. I have hemochromatosis (genetic thing where my body does not use it's iron so I got too much) and have to have blood taken EVERY WEEK(really sucks!) but rather have that then be anemic! My problem is I am a vegetarian who can't eat foods high in iron levels. ie. brocolli, tomotoes, dried apricots...all my favs. I am stuck in weight loss hell. Told to eat the foods I love but can't because of the iron levels. If anyone knows a great dietician in Melbourne or Chinese Herbalist (ones I see are crud) it would be much appreciated. Cheers!
Old 25-10-2007, 09:35 AM   #478
pb02
inconceivable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilXR8
I am currently 17, about 5'8 and i weigh 63kgs. I really wanted to get into footy so i started weight training about two years ago and set myself a goal of 75-80kgs. In that time my strength has increased greatly. Currently benching 86kgs +bar, not bad for a bloke of my weight/size. I have toned up and i feel good which is great however i have olny put on 4kgs in all this time. I was upto 66kgs but then i also started road cycling and have since dropped back down to 63kgs. As i would still love to get back into footy next year i was wondering if anyone has any tips to help me gain some weight as i will be playing senoirs and dont fancy being tossed around like a rag doll. Cheers.
Without knowing your diet it's hard to say. I have a very quick metabolism, slowing down with age though...
What is your training routine and diet like? Without knowing that it's hard to say.
Old 25-10-2007, 12:27 PM   #479
FlipXW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb02
Without knowing your diet it's hard to say. I have a very quick metabolism, slowing down with age though...
What is your training routine and diet like? Without knowing that it's hard to say.
Yea mate thanks, I'm pretty sure that I have a quick motabolism aswell. Diet wise i have two bowls of cereal everymorning, quite often lunch consists of fatty food (takeaway). And for dinner whatever mums cookin up. Usually 2 BBQ meals, 2 chicken meals, 2 fish meals and sumthing else (takeaway again possibly) a week.

Training wise I go to the gym 4 times a week for about an hour 10 at a time. I do chest, back, shoulders and legs all on separate days with a bit of abs and arms at the end of each session. I also ride 4 times a week. My cycling lap takes 2 hours to complete.

Hope this helps, thanks mate.
FlipXW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2007, 01:27 PM   #480
pb02
inconceivable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilXR8
Yea mate thanks, I'm pretty sure that I have a quick motabolism aswell. Diet wise i have two bowls of cereal everymorning, quite often lunch consists of fatty food (takeaway). And for dinner whatever mums cookin up. Usually 2 BBQ meals, 2 chicken meals, 2 fish meals and sumthing else (takeaway again possibly) a week.

Training wise I go to the gym 4 times a week for about an hour 10 at a time. I do chest, back, shoulders and legs all on separate days with a bit of abs and arms at the end of each session. I also ride 4 times a week. My cycling lap takes 2 hours to complete.

Hope this helps, thanks mate.
If your anything like me you'll have to eat heaps! I was about 74kg (6'1") before I started and ended up at 85kg.

Try and keep away from fatty foods as any weight you put on just gets burnt off. The idea is to eat clean that way the food is used to process and add muscle (weight) and doesn't get burnt off during cardio. I was eating at least 4 solid meals a day. Cereal in the morning, Tuna mixed with something for morning tea. Lunch was usually sandwiches but always with either chicken or Tuna. When I got home I would have chicken and rice, go to training, and afterwards I would have a protein shake then dinner was either fish and vegies (always with sweet potato) or kangaroo steaks.

Also look at lifting heavy, not too many reps. You want to add bulk and muscle, later you can tone up more.