Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 29-12-2007, 04:55 PM   #1
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Changing Springs?

Just after a bit of info from anyone who has changed over the springs in their Fiesta themselves.

Is it a job that can be tackled with hand tools or is an air compressor and a ratchet gun a must have?

The rears look easy as, I'm just a bit hesitant on tackling the front ones even though they look fairly simple enough.....Iv'e read on UK based forums that the fronts can be "a lot of fun!!"

Be grateful to hear of anyones opinions or experiences.

robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2007, 05:07 PM   #2
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

I changed the springs in the Fiesta with the help of my brother.

The rears were very simple.

The fronts took a LONG time. Basically once you undo the bolt which holds the bottom of the shock in place, it tends to be very stuck and impossible to remove.
so you actually need to soak it in dw40 and smack the cast iron section around the bottom of the shock with a mallet lol.

Obviously being cast iron its incredibly strong. so it wont damage it.

Tell you what though, Changing the springs in the fiesta was a whole lot easier than changing the springs in GTI.
Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
mitch_lx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2008, 03:42 PM   #3
Scareybear
GRRRR.....

All up a pretty easy job, only took me 12months & 2 hrs including wheel alignment, springs sat on a bench for 12months till I had time to fit them (long story, change of job, open new shop............)
I agree with mitch, the bottom bolt is a .

If you sneeze with your eyes open, do your eyes pop out??
Scareybear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2008, 07:38 PM   #4
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

If I've already got the springs (eibach for Focus), who would you recommend to do the install if you didn't want to do it yourself?

Suspension chain eg Pedders? ...Dealer? ...Or Independent suspension place?

I don't want to get a bs sales pitch about needing new shocks
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2008, 07:38 PM   #5
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks guys, do you reckon I would need a ratchet gun and air compressor or can I tackle it with just hand tools that are available?
Old 01-01-2008, 10:21 PM   #6
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

This something that I have been considering doing. Can I get a set of springs that will stiffen up the ride without lowering too much? And where can I get the springs from?

Cheers all.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:10 PM   #7
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack
This something that I have been considering doing. Can I get a set of springs that will stiffen up the ride without lowering too much? And where can I get the springs from?

Cheers all.
I had King springs on the Zetec which where fine, didn't cost much either from memory, you can pick them up just about anywhere.

NOTE: the King Springs will not suit the XR4 though as it has the heavier 2L motor in it, for the XR4 I got Eibach Springs from European Parts, they cost me A$340 delivered Express Post Airmail, only took just over a week to get here, if your willing to wait a bit longer they will cost about A$270 delivered by boat.

http://www.european-parts.net/catalo...d8bffd8ebf472c
Old 02-01-2008, 10:03 AM   #8
Scareybear
GRRRR.....

You won't need a rattle gun, it just makes it a little faster, spring compressors are a must though.

Old 03-01-2008, 06:49 PM   #9
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scareybear
You won't need a rattle gun, it just makes it a little faster, spring compressors are a must though.
Thanks mate, I went out today and bought the tools......got some spring compressors, a 15mm Open End Ring Spanner for the lower bolt, a 18mm Gooseneck Ring Spanner for the top bolt and a big can of WD40 to try and loosen that "nasty lower housing" off the front strut assembly.

As Jeremy Clarkson would say...."How hard can it be?"

Think I might attack it on the weekend....wish me luck!!... :
Old 04-01-2008, 09:53 AM   #10
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

Buy some steel gloves otherwise your hands will be mince meat by the end of the mallet smashing session.
Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
mitch_lx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2008, 11:01 PM   #11
Scareybear
GRRRR.....

If you run into trouble & need a hand, PM me, I'll see if I can help.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:22 PM   #12
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scareybear
If you run into trouble & need a hand, PM me, I'll see if I can help.
Thanks Carey, really appreciate the offer mate.

I ended up getting my Brother-in-Law who's a Mechanic from "way-back" to give me a hand, we put them in today, didn't take very long at all......it's easy when you have someone who could do the job in their sleep helping out....I think maybe I was just getting in the way..

Must say it looks so much better lowered, the Eibach's lower it just about the right amount imo, really pleased with it.

Only trouble is the wheels are about a 54 offset so they are tucked inside the rear guards a bit too much....I'm going to start looking at 18's with about a 40 offset which will bring the wheels right out to the edge of the rear guards, Iv'e seen plenty of pics of this exact setup on Euro Forums and it looks so sweet....
Old 06-01-2008, 12:44 AM   #13
Scareybear
GRRRR.....

Don't forget to get an alignment asap.