Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-11-2009, 11:08 PM   #1
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Default Rego Labels - why do we bother

So I ws out in the shed tonight putting yet another new registration label on the TS50 and I thought, as I have on many previous occasions, why do we bother with these things?

The label arrives 6 weeks before it's due (at least here in Vic.) and as is required i've stuck it to the car. I wont pay the reg until the week before it's due. So the label doesn't prove the car is registered. If the cops pull you over, they would go online to see that reg is up to date. They do not trust the sticker, so they don't need it. Other than giving the local police something to ping you for not having.

They must spend millions printing these things, So what is there real purpose??

Discuss.

Old 01-11-2009, 11:14 PM   #2
charlie200
please insert coins

IN N.S.W your receipt number and paid date is printed on your rego label,so it cant be stuck on till its paid.
Seem strange that you guys dont do that as you said it would be a pain for the police to check.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:16 PM   #3
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

You don't get your rego sticker til you have paid for it up here in QLD. Seems a bit more sensible IMO....
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2009, 11:16 PM   #4
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Good point Elks, these stickers have become replaceable onto different windscreens over the years. I suppose with the recent system of having the car chassis number visible inside and under the windscreen can make it apparent straight away that the rego belongs to the car, but on older cars its pretty useless IMO.

Long gone the days when you had to soak the sticker off with a wet tissue and gladwrap, getting water all over the dashboard.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2009, 11:19 PM   #5
kenz
BOSS Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elks
The label arrives 6 weeks before it's due (at least here in Vic.) and as is required i've stuck it to the car. I wont pay the reg until the week before it's due. So the label doesn't prove the car is registered.
In Qld they dont send the label out until the rego gets paid. So it can end up being the opposite to your situation. I can pay my rego the day its due so my new label ends up arriving 3+wks after the old one has expired :
They were talking about getting rid of them here a few months back and it actually would save a couple million $. You probably pulled that number outa the air but its pretty accurate

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
No matter how good the F6 is (and it is damn good), its missing two cylinders.
kenz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2009, 11:21 PM   #6
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenz
In Qld they dont send the label out until the rego gets paid. So it can end up being the opposite to your situation. I can pay my rego the day its due so my new label ends up arriving 3+wks after the old one has expired :
They were talking about getting rid of them here a few months back and it actually would save a couple million $. You probably pulled that number outa the air but its pretty accurate
At least if you show the cop that pulled you over the receipt saying youve paid it and are just waiting on the sticker they generally let you off....
Old 01-11-2009, 11:32 PM   #7
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenz
That used to be the system here in Vic years ago, when they had the transfers. Then they had the system where it got stamped and initialled at a bank when you paid it. But now it doesnt require any stamp or initials. So with the current system they must believe it doesnt prove anything.

Also here in Vic the size of the sticker seems to have grown to something that is about a third of the height of my MGB windscreen. Perhaps getting rid of it would then help visibility. I think in Qld you put it in the RH rear side window, which would be a better place than the windscreen which is required in Vic.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:35 PM   #8
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia
That used to be the system here in Vic years ago, when they had the transfers. Then they had the system where it got stamped and initialled at a bank when you paid it. But now it doesnt require any stamp or initials. So with the current system they must believe it doesnt prove anything.

Also here in Vic the size of the sticker seems to have grown to something that is about the third of the height of my MGB windscreen. Perhaps getting rid of it would then help visibility. I think in Qld you put it in the RH rear side window, which would be a better place than the windscreen which is required in Vic.
Yep, its either RH lower windshield. Or rear RH passenger quarter glass. I have noticed as of late some people think it's cool to have it all diagonal in the RH corner.... :
Old 01-11-2009, 11:41 PM   #9
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

I was talking to a friend the other day discussing rego stickers as mine was coming off (as they do) and he was saying that he has heard that the govt is thinking of trialing a new registration tag that sits on your license plate and can be read similar to an etag.

Has anyone else heard this?
Old 01-11-2009, 11:46 PM   #10
XCGS351

The W.A. Governmnet were looking to do away the rego stickers next year to save $$$. Not sure if that's a definate thing but it would be good if it is. In this modern age I don't think we really need one.
XCGS351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2009, 11:47 PM   #11
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie200
IN N.S.W your receipt number and paid date is printed on your rego label,so it cant be stuck on till its paid.
Seem strange that you guys dont do that as you said it would be a pain for the police to check.
Err, you do realise you can pay it online dont you?(and have been able to do so for many years) And obviously when doing so it doesn't print out the receipt number on the label.

Pretty sure I heard that WA is doing away with labels soon? (EDIT: Beaten by a minute)
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2009, 11:50 PM   #12
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Good point Elks, these stickers have become replaceable onto different windscreens over the years. I suppose with the recent system of having the car chassis number visible inside and under the windscreen can make it apparent straight away that the rego belongs to the car, but on older cars its pretty useless IMO.

Long gone the days when you had to soak the sticker off with a wet tissue and gladwrap, getting water all over the dashboard.
No gladwrap back then mate!
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2009, 11:54 PM   #13
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
No gladwrap back then mate!
I'm not that old, LOL!! My father scraped it off with a razor back in the 50's and 60's, which was how I did it before discovering the wet tissue and gladwrap trick.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:06 AM   #14
LTDHO
The one and only

You're not allowed to put the sticker on until it's paid.
At a glace the officer can see if you have the recent one on your car.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2009, 12:09 AM   #15
jmack
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

as you say they are a total waist of time the cops do check online anyway.i dont bother putting them on anymore cars dont come out enough to warrant the hassle .my el still has the one from 98 on it.i think its more like 2 months bfore its due they send it out now,they must think we r stupid enough to pay befor its due.and while we are talking about rego why do we have to pay tac on every rego can only drive one car at a time and that is usually a company car and if anyting happened can only claim once .they r making a fortune off me per year 4 car regos,bike ,boat and 2 trailors .
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2009, 12:15 AM   #16
mac_man_luke
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In SA you only get a rego sticker after you have paid...
mac_man_luke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2009, 12:17 AM   #17
bluestreak
Atmo-6 CruiseMissilePilot

Location: Beechboro WA or in a deep dark hole in the desert...

WA doing something useful first for a change? Only because they can save money.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599...rom=public_rss

Be good not to have to scrape these off my windsceen anymore, but I wish I'd heard about this before I just stuck my new 12 month rego sticker on.

Cheers

Mildly modified BF XR6 (Mine - for now)
Luxurious BFII Fairmont Ghia (Hers)
4x4 PX XLT Ranger (As soon as it gets here!!)

Ladies - if a man says he'll do a job, he will do it. There's no need to hassle him about it every six months or so...
bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2009, 01:57 AM   #18
asusdragon
BA Falcon XT

Yep I over here in WA, and it is quicker and easier for the cops to bring your plates/you on there computer and see if its registered or not. There going to do it anyway if they pull you over to see who you are and what you been done for.

I put my last one on back in August so no much ugly looking sticker on the windscreen after this one.

Quote:
If you can't fix it with a hammer. you're got an electrical problem
Quote:
You only need two tools in life - WD40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40, If it shouldnt move and does, use the duct tape
asusdragon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2009, 02:01 AM   #19
Rubidium

Quote:
I think in Qld you put it in the RH rear side window, which would be a better place than the windscreen which is required in Vic.
You can put it on the side in vic, it says so on the label sheet even.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:50 AM   #20
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie200
Obviously someone who doesn't know you can pay online... :P

I haven't had any details printed on my rego label for years after a renewal.

What I do find annoying, in the case of my last 2 new cars, if a rego label doesn't even arrive for your new car you have to pay $15 for them to print another one!
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2009, 09:05 AM   #21
Zedjay
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
Obviously someone who doesn't know you can pay online... :P

I haven't had any details printed on my rego label for years after a renewal.

What I do find annoying, in the case of my last 2 new cars, if a rego label doesn't even arrive for your new car you have to pay $15 for them to print another one!

i pay mine online too... i was told by the RTA to write the recept # on the sticker and then stick it to the screen..

then the new one turns up in about a week or you can call into any RTA with the recept# and they will print you one on the spot for free
Zedjay is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2009, 01:19 PM   #22
Bud Bud
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I'm not that old, LOL!! My father scraped it off with a razor back in the 50's and 60's, which was how I did it before discovering the wet tissue and gladwrap trick.
Yeh what a mess it used to make. You could never get the bits out from between the glass and the dash. HQ's were the worst!

Is there an ADR requirement for manufactures to display the VIN number under the windscreen? If no, why not? If there is then why don't they phase out stickers for a number plate/VIN check against a data base with just a receipt that the driver keeps in the glove box.

Would probably save thousands and I would of thought that the technology would exist to do this by now. It would be greener as well!
Bud Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2009, 01:32 PM   #23
VICFPV

I hate them.
They peel off after some time and then you get ping for them at the rbt because there was nothing else they can get you for.
Its a $84 fine in NSW without losing points.
Wish there was a better way other then the stickers.
VICFPV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2009, 01:55 PM   #24
Scareybear
GRRRR.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty85
Yep, its either RH lower windshield. Or rear RH passenger quarter glass. I have noticed as of late some people think it's cool to have it all diagonal in the RH corner.... :
That would be LH side...

If you sneeze with your eyes open, do your eyes pop out??
Scareybear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2009, 02:11 PM   #25
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubidium
You can put it on the side in vic, it says so on the label sheet even.
Just checked the directions on the renewal that I got a couple of weeks ago, it does say to "place the label on the inside of the windscreen at the bottom left hand corner. The label may also be fitted to a fixed window on the left side of the vehicle."

Looks like they changed it at some time, as you never used to be able to put it on the rear quarter window, which is now where its going to go on the BA when its due in a couple of months (Vicroads does like sending these renewals early!!)

Looks like it will have to stay on the MGB windscreen however, there is no fixed side window, only the quarter vent window which hinges, which was where people used to put their labels when quarter vent windows were common.

Here is a link to an article that was in the Age newspaper back in 2006, which highlights the problems with the Vicroads registration renewal and labelling system.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/nation...778811505.html

What have Vicroads done about it in the three or so years since the ombudsmans report? Nothing. They seem to have been more interested in updating their logo.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:39 PM   #26
jason71
google is my friend

In NSW there is no need to write the receipt number on your rego label.

Quote:
Do I need a receipt number on my rego label?

When you have successfully completed your registration online or by phone, you will be issued with a renewal receipt number. Write the number in black ink on the space provided on your Certificate of Registration. It is not necessary to write the number on your registration label. The RTA does not send out a receipted Certificate of Registration or label.
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registrati.../rego_faq.html
jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2009, 06:05 PM   #27
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

The funny thing is WA are going to lead the way and do away with the sticker when the quality and presentation they have is the best i have seen and when i had a WA Rego on my car was happy with it.

Vic have the half sticker half paper rubbish with the Rego in big letters, bah, follow WA use technology, save a few million not printing stickers and saves having to scrape the stuff off once a year.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2009, 06:12 PM   #28
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here in Canberra they have plate recognition software. They point the gun at you, take a reading of your plate, check it against the database, and send an alert to the officer if the car is unregistered or stolen etc etc. They then pull you over. So it doesn't matter whether you have a label, they can still tell. But you have to display the sticker, or you pay a fine.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2009, 06:14 PM   #29
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

I don't like the idea of a rego tag on the numberplate...but if there was a little tag that could be stuck on the window that could work...better then pulling stickers of every year.

useless vile things...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2009, 06:28 PM   #30
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They have started to use the plate reconition software here in NSW too. Just most have no idea about it. Its a bit like the parking cops here in Dubbo, one has the hand piece one day & the other chalk, they swap a few times a week !!!
MotherNatureVer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post