Terri Enthusiast

Stupidity at its finest
Old 29-10-2008, 09:02 AM   #3
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccamom
Stupidity at its finest
Amen how the F do people lose control in FWD cars?
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2008, 09:02 AM   #4
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Obviously they were'nt :
Old 29-10-2008, 09:31 AM   #5
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Were they all greased up with lard or something; how the hell do you get 6 in the back of a lancer coupe? : Even double stacked there can't be any room for knees can there ?

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2008, 09:42 AM   #6
prydey
Rob

and then people wonder why the govt has a major obsession with speed and the enforcement of it.

as stated in other threads, here in adelaide we've had 2 car chases and ferrari into a stobie.

as long as these things happen the govt will continue to clamp down on anything speed related because even though it may not be cause for some or many accidents, for many accidents it is the major cause.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2008, 09:42 AM   #7
freaky

what will it take to get the message through

"There was alcohol in the car,'' Sgt Jones said."

It's hard to have any simpathy for them
freaky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2008, 09:49 AM   #8
BIGJB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well thats 6 more people than u relly want in a Lancer.
BIGJB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2008, 10:00 AM   #9
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

going for a record on the move maybe
Old 29-10-2008, 10:05 AM   #10
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

As stupid as this accident is I don't think that it is the most disturbing thing about it.

I heard this on the news this morning and apparently the Ambos were so overstreched a Police Officer had to drive an Ambulance to the hospital. Now that's worrying.

EDIT: A related story confirming the Police driving the ambulance here: http://www.news.com.au/story/0,,24569486-1243,00.html
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2008, 10:10 AM   #11
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
As stupid as this accident is I don't think that it is the most disturbing thing about it.

I heard this on the news this morning and apparently the Ambos were so overstreched a Police Officer had to drive an Ambulance to the hospital. Now that's worrying.
Not good... although i doubt anyone would have expected 8 from a single vehicle accident early on a wed morning...
You could feel the sheer dismay, anger, frustration and helplessness in their voices listening to Police on the radio this morning.. makes you wonder if anything will ever work to curb such stupidity and waste in young drivers.
It must be so hard on Police and Paramedics having to deal with this kind of tragedy, unfortunately its becoming more and more common..

Old 29-10-2008, 10:14 AM   #12
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Not good... although i doubt anyone would have expected 8 from a single vehicle accident early on a wed morning...
You could feel the sheer dismay, anger, frustration and helplessness in their voices listening to Police on the radio this morning.. makes you wonder if anything will ever work to curb such stupidity and waste.
It must be so hard on Police and Paramedics having to deal with this kind of tragedy, unfortunately its becoming more and more common..
I couldn't do it, you would have to become desensitised to a certain degree just so you could sleep at night.

It does show how much pressure and how understaffed the Ambos and Police are under in Victoria at the moment for this type of scenario to play out.
Old 29-10-2008, 10:19 AM   #13
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
I couldn't do it, you would have to become desensitised to a certain degree just so you could sleep at night.

It does show how much pressure and how understaffed the Ambos and Police are under in Victoria at the moment for this type of scenario to play out.
I couldnt do it either..

In terms of under staffing i can understand how difficult it would be to cater to this kind of thing at 1am on a wed morning.. the ambo's are 2 up and can carry 2 patients and with 8 patients they'd need 4-5 ambulances minimum to cope, if both patients need constant attention for the trip a police officer is the logical choice to drive...

Old 29-10-2008, 10:22 AM   #14
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
I couldnt do it either..

In terms of under staffing i can understand how difficult it would be to cater to this kind of thing at 1am on a wed morning.. the ambo's are 2 up and can carry 2 patients and with 8 patients they'd need 4-5 ambulances minimum to cope, if both patients need constant attention for the trip a police officer is the logical choice to drive...
True but still there need to be more Ambos, and now. There should always be enough to get to this type of scene without having to "make do". A two or three car collision would easily have the same amount of casualties.
Old 29-10-2008, 10:27 AM   #15
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

this MAY not have been any part of the problem, but the current licensing system for immigrant drivers is laughable. if you hold a license overseas, whether experienced on the road or not, you can rock up to the road authority and pass your learners, hazard perception and test in one day. if you have held a license overseas for over 3 years you can be a fully licensed driver here with very minimal experience on the roads

add to that, most people in sudan, asia etc. do not drive much at all, so do not know the dangers of driving; and (in asia at least) the speed of traffic is so slow, that carrying too many people, not wearing seatbelts and a general low appreciation of road safety is not same problem that it would be here

they do not teach people who have only seen our roads, how to drive properly. unfortunately for the immigrants coming over in their thousands, they have even less chance. our money hungry governments do not take into account differences in culture and experience, so until they do we will always get situations like these
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2008, 10:28 AM   #16
TZENU
XY Driv3r

You gotta wonder why you would cram 8 people in that car... Then you gotta ask what the driver was doing to lose control of the car?... I know that stretch of Hwy and it's as straight as an arrow.
May have been fatigue or speed or both.
Old 29-10-2008, 10:30 AM   #17
Mansal

FYI - the driver was in fact an L-plater
Mansal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2008, 10:31 AM   #18
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZENU
You gotta wonder why you would cram 8 people in that car... Then you gotta ask what the driver was doing to lose control of the car?... I know that stretch of Hwy and it's as straight as an arrow.
May have been fatigue or speed or both.
Excessive speed combined with reckless behavior that caused loss of control would be my guess judging by the extreme damage to the car.. an extra 400kg's in a small car wouldn't have helped its handling either..
I doubt anyone would fall asleep at the wheel with 7 screaming passengers...

Old 29-10-2008, 10:37 AM   #19
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Too true then you wonder why young drivers get so much attention in the media. And its all because of a select few that have nothing between their ears.
Old 29-10-2008, 10:39 AM   #20
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Too true then you wonder why young drivers get so much attention in the media. And its all because of a select few that have nothing between their ears.
Add to that the over represented excessive frequency of such incidents with young drivers....

Old 29-10-2008, 10:49 AM   #21
dannyxm
was danny888

There should be a law against stupidity.

If it were so, this lot would have got the maximum penalty.......
dannyxm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2008, 10:59 AM   #22
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Forget the police officer driving the ambulance, they were lucky to find 4 hospitals that weren't on bypass! Just goes to show how ill-prepared we are for a major incident. (note I am definitely not blaming any emerg services or hospital personnel here!)
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2008, 11:00 AM   #23
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny888
There should be a law against stupidity.

If it were so, this lot would have got the maximum penalty.......
that is true to an extent, but it seems they all came from another country where the driving standards and general road safety and culture are so much different

i do not know how to fix it, but these people need some education before they are allowed to drive. maybe they need a learner's for an extended time or distance with only an instructor beside them

my belief is the government is just as stupid for allowing anyone onto the road. my wife for instance, has driven for around 50 hours in her life, but is a fully licensed driver. 45 of those hours have been here, yet she was eligible for a full license the day she got of the plane, just by passing 3 tests. being slightly older than the average learner, she has a maturity and commonsense that young people do not have but we still limit her driving to an extent and most of her driving is with me beside her, because she is still in the learning part of her driving life

having driven in the phillipines i now know why most asian driver's are too fast or too slow. the traffic and rules are just so different and their knowledge, (what we consider to be) commonsense and skills need to be tested much greater than they are now
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2008, 01:25 PM   #24
maccamom
Terri Enthusiast

And further on the subject of stupidity....

Quote:
From The Age
It was not illegal for eight people to be crammed into a two-door car involved in an horrific smash in Melbourne early today, Victoria Police Chief Commissioner Christine Nixon says.
Ms Nixon said so long as all of the car's seat belts were being used, overloading the vehicle with people was not a crime

Dumb drivers (family) and dumb laws - what a combination :
Old 29-10-2008, 01:32 PM   #25
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccamom
And further on the subject of stupidity....

Dumb drivers (family) and dumb laws - what a combination :
What do you expect from the speed camera queen? They have not figured out a way to tax it so it is not illegal yet.......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2008, 01:37 PM   #26
GORDZ
OMGORDZ

i can honestly tell from experience that a 2 door lancer (i used to own the same one) with 5 adults in it, is an absolute boat and the brakes were very ineffective. It was dangerous, and I shouldn't have even tried. The trip was fine and there was no incidents, but it's something I wouldn't do again, because the car simply doesn't cope.

But to have 8 people in a 958kg car... you're nearly doubling the weight. As others have said, it's hard to have sympathy here. the full profile tyres must have been at least 50% flattened under sitting load alone, no wonder it's wrapped around a pole. The steering would have been so unpredictable, and female driver... hmm. disaster.

BA XR6 Ute, twin throttlebodied blueprint.
GORDZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2008, 01:39 PM   #27
GORDZ
OMGORDZ

"Ms Nixon said so long as all of the car's seat belts were being used, overloading the vehicle with people was not a crime "

....so.... if i have two people in the cabin with seatbelts on, i can take as many as i want in the back of the ute?

BA XR6 Ute, twin throttlebodied blueprint.
GORDZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2008, 01:40 PM   #28
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleekism
Amen how the F do people lose control in FWD cars?
My experience is that it is easier.

a RWD will progressively loose control, allowing you the opportunity to adjust, FWD tend to appear to be infallible, but then snap you are suddenly sliding, and it is harder to bring it back in than a RWD.
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2008, 01:54 PM   #29
Ghosti

I think you'll find that the Lancer in question was actually the school bus from the local clown college.

Hence the 8 people...
Ghosti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2008, 02:37 PM   #30
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

Quote:
Quote:
The driver, a 20-year-old woman
I thought it was Male teenagers they were more concerned about? Just goes to show that anyone can do stupid things. The more concerning thing is that all 8 of them obviously consented to being in the car, so its not just 1 idiot, its 8 :

A mate of mine has one of those Lancers, and I have no idea how they managed to squeeze 8 people in there? Were they all anorexic? There would have to be someone sitting on the centre console, and that I can imagine wouldn't make it easier to drive.
Airmon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post