Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 21-09-2006, 02:33 PM   #1
BLAKLISTED

Default Painting wheels

G’day Guys.

Well, I’m getting a bit bored with the looks of the ol 90 EA s-pacs' looks so I think it might be time to spice her up a bit. The only thing is I don’t really want to spend bulk $$ on her. I was thinking about just painting the mag wheels. I was wondering how I’d go about doing this? Anyone done this before and could offer me some tips on how to do it or what to use? Cheers for any help!

BLAKLISTED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2006, 04:39 PM   #2
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

theres wheel paint at places like autobarn. im not sure how this stuff comes up tho. you'd have to clean them pretty good!!
Old 21-09-2006, 06:44 PM   #3
Aaron_EF8
Oops, I slipped....

Depends how much effort you want to go to. If you want to get all the way to the edges of the rims, get the tyres pressed off the wheels, so you don't get overspray on them, which looks really tacky IMO. You could do it yourself with a carjack and an air compressor. If you don't want to do that you can tape around the tyres. The wheels will need to be thoroughly cleaned too, otherwise the paint will lift and flake off.

Most car parts shops sell wheel paint, although I don't know what the actual difference is from normal paint. I recommend clear coating the wheels afterwards, so the brake dust comes off easily, and doesn't stain the new paint after a week.

1984 XE S-Pack 250 Sno White - LPG - Single Rail - 2.5" Exhaust

"Just because you don't understand something, does not make it wrong"

Aaron_EF8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2006, 09:05 PM   #4
BLAKLISTED

Cheers for the advice. I was only going to paint the pattern part, leaving the centre and rim silver. If i do this, will i only have to clear coat the painted part or will i have to clear coat the whole wheel. Also, would the wheel already have a clear coat that i would have to sand back?
BLAKLISTED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2006, 10:03 PM   #5
El Venom
normality is boring
Donating Member1

have u got a pic of the wheels? i just painted my eb s wheels
El Venom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post