Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-12-2010, 06:01 PM   #1
J.Molloy
Territorial

Default Insurance Question

Hey guys just wondering if someone could help me out with some info,

the missus took the territory down the shops last night and someone decided it would be a good idea to back into it, nothing too major plus there's a small ding in the same spot from when i bought that I'll get fixed with the claim.

My question, is she covered and will it affect her no claims rating or just mine?
SGIO comprehensive insurance.

Cheer, Jake

Old 30-12-2010, 06:09 PM   #2
vibe_xr6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hey mate, if her name is on the insurance, yes she will be covered, otherwise you were driving ; )
either way, the no claim will be effected as you were not involved... speaking from experience, i hope that helps
Old 30-12-2010, 06:14 PM   #3
bigsta
Making superman jealous

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

depends on your insurance mate I think most of them now do not take away your no claim bonus as you can just call up another who will give you the same bonus rate.

You will have to pay the excess though unless you have the details of the other driver

2006 SY Territory Ghia AWD in ego with roof mount DVD, tints, 7 seats, iPod input

2005 Crewman Cross 8 with 350 cubic inches, AWD, black on black rims on black leather, tints and polished racks
NEW TOY Bayliner 185, inboard 3L 4 cylinder pushing us along at 50MPH whenever i get a chance

I love Aussie cars and are gonna really miss them soon.......
bigsta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2010, 06:26 PM   #4
J.Molloy
Territorial

cheers for the replies, good to know i get to keep my no claim bonus, her name isn't on the insurance but thought i saw somewhere that sgio covers anyone driving your car, have to have a look around for it otherwise I guess I was driving haha
cheers guys
Old 30-12-2010, 06:31 PM   #5
gtfpv
GT

read the insurance disclosure booklet that came with the policy . it will explain all the details of the policy there . but in general you are covered .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2010, 08:35 PM   #6
Kryton

Any person that has your permission to drive your car is covered, even if they are not listed.
Provided they have a license and arent under 25 (if you've specified no under 25's on your policy), then its all good.
An age excess may apply, depending on your policy and the age of the driver.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2010, 08:42 PM   #7
LTDHO
The one and only

Unless it is protected, it will effect your NCB
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2010, 09:22 PM   #8
XRATE-UTERUS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Molloy
cheers for the replies, good to know i get to keep my no claim bonus, her name isn't on the insurance but thought i saw somewhere that sgio covers anyone driving your car, have to have a look around for it otherwise I guess I was driving haha
cheers guys
do you have the turds name and details who hit you?

if so is she insured?

if you have them and she is insured you just go through your insurance company and they chase her for the money.

remember insurance assessors are not silly , when it comes to milking other repairs that are not from the result of the accident.
XRATE-UTERUS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2010, 09:29 PM   #9
mash again
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if it was parked no one was driving!
mash again is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2010, 10:21 PM   #10
Kryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by mash again
if it was parked no one was driving!
Which means absolutely nothing.
The person that parked it there is still responsible for the car - as if they were still driving it.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2010, 11:11 PM   #11
bigsta
Making superman jealous

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

mate quite often they have a extra excess for drivers not quoted so best just to say you were driving.

2006 SY Territory Ghia AWD in ego with roof mount DVD, tints, 7 seats, iPod input

2005 Crewman Cross 8 with 350 cubic inches, AWD, black on black rims on black leather, tints and polished racks
NEW TOY Bayliner 185, inboard 3L 4 cylinder pushing us along at 50MPH whenever i get a chance

Old 31-12-2010, 02:16 AM   #12
buggo
[BU66OS]

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRATE-UTERUS
do you have the turds name and details who hit you?

if so is she insured?

if you have them and she is insured you just go through your insurance company and they chase her for the money.

remember insurance assessors are not silly , when it comes to milking other repairs that are not from the result of the accident.
Haha I love how you just assume a lady hit the car

BA XR8 Manual
buggo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2010, 08:56 AM   #13
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Earlier this year my wife hit a wallaby in her FG which is an at fault claim .. but thru HER insurance didn't affect her NCB nor her policy pricing. When I advised MY insurance company about this (wife is a listed driver on my car), MY insurance policy went up about $10/month .. WTF!!??
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2011, 09:33 PM   #14
deemo
Starter Motor

has anyone used REAL insurence? r they any good? cus they quoted me heaps better than any others, $600 difference from nrma
deemo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2011, 10:38 PM   #15
bigsta
Making superman jealous

mate i have not used REAL but have had real bad experiences with Allianz and NRMA both claims i was not at fault either so please avoid them like the plague.

these are both real long storeys but to cut them short

i had a car insured with NRMA for $32K with (their estimate) $28K damage to it while it was parked a cab thought his saw a fare in the side of it and actually tipped the car over... even though i said to them just give me the $28k and we will call it even they insisted on repairing against my very strong wishes and let me drive off in a car with the rear end not repaired i got 50m literally before the back wheel went all wobbly and collapsed 6 months and a lot of arguing they ended up spending over $40k to repair a 32K car which never drove straight again ,leaked water and made a constant whining noise from the rear end because the chassis was bent apparently. should have been written off to start with.

I was rear ended by this chick doing 80 in a 40 zone a while back AAMI gave me the option of having it repaired or written off saying it was borderline and my choice had a cheque within a week, i have made a few claims with them it has never been a problem (their repairer must quote on repairs though).

That same prang Allianz was my green slip personal injury insurer OMG my back was screwed up big time in this prang i had nerve damage adhesive tissue damage ( my ribs ripped from my spine) 4 years n it still hurts forget pain and suffering or lost income compo i could not even get my medical bills properly covered. I was left with them saying you dont like it sue us but since in NSW Labours bob carr gave all the power to the insurer my solicitor advised me i would 99% win but after years in court i could not hope for much more than $40k and that in the unlikely event i did not win they would take my house in costs by counter suing for millions. NSW green slip market is the most profitable insurance market in the world thanks to labour even if you are made a quadriplegic in a accident you only get $250k now no amount of money can compensate for that sort of injury and suffering but at the very least you should be able to set yourself up with a house and have enough for medical help for the rest of your life.

Anyway mate they may be cheaper now but what happens when you claim?

Old 18-01-2011, 10:53 PM   #16
deemo
Starter Motor

uh thants not good, i didnt think nrma was that bad; not my preffered insurance tho.
Iwe only dealth with aami, made a claim and after first atempt it came back with orange paint protruding out through green and they thought that this was acceptable, it took another 2 wks on top of the first 2 wks to get it done and even then i had to reconect my power windows cus they didnt... so say no to aami

i had a massive claim with vigil, part of lumley; they only do prestege cars now but i had a writeoff with no issues even bought the car back for change, shame i let the policy lapse so now they wont insure me

dont know kow real and how they do theyr business
deemo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2011, 11:51 AM   #17
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsta
mate quite often they have a extra excess for drivers not quoted so best just to say you were driving.

Even if the person who last parked the car is under the age of 25, an age excess will not apply becaue they were not in control of the car at the time.
Age excess only applys if the person behind the wheel at the time of the accident is under 25.

IMO all insurance companys have good and bad storys. Alot of the time it is the repairers fault and not the insurance companys fault, But sometimes it is the insurance companys fault.

Just a thought of mine, always stick to the big companys like AAMI, RACV, NRMA, GIO, Just Car, Shannons etc. If you go with a smaller company like budget you will get caught up in a lot of policy exclusions.

Real insurance, I would not go anywhere near them.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2011, 12:25 PM   #18
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just to add on from my above post.
The car was parked so no extra excess should be added.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2011, 01:27 PM   #19
bigsta
Making superman jealous

Quote:
Originally Posted by deemo
uh thants not good, i didnt think nrma was that bad; not my preffered insurance tho.
Iwe only dealth with aami, made a claim and after first atempt it came back with orange paint protruding out through green and they thought that this was acceptable, it took another 2 wks on top of the first 2 wks to get it done and even then i had to reconect my power windows cus they didnt... so say no to aami

i had a massive claim with vigil, part of lumley; they only do prestege cars now but i had a writeoff with no issues even bought the car back for change, shame i let the policy lapse so now they wont insure me

dont know kow real and how they do theyr business

Yeah the only bad thing with AAMI is their repairer must be given a chance to quote but i think they are all like that now. they have said to me that my repairer can quote but if he is more expensive than theirs they might not approve the repair with them.

Lumly screwed me over once i was not insured with them but was claiming against them after a truck hit me and i had no insurance of my own, my car was a HZ holden that i had receipts for more than $40k worth of work done on it recently (paint and rust repairs was $9K alone)but they only valued it at $1500. I was fuming as you would imagine and got to keep the car though and got another $6k odd selling bits of it

Old 19-01-2011, 07:49 PM   #20
vaarg
Starter Motor

whether or not your no claim bonus is affected they can just up your premium and you still have max no claim bonus for life. but now it will just be a % of a higher premium
vaarg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2011, 08:03 PM   #21
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have an insurance question.

Last year my insurance was $2000.
This year it said I get a no claim discount of 45%.
So this year it says I have to pay $1700 After a $1200 discount.
So is that right in saying that if I didn't get a no claim discount my insurance would of cost $2900 this year????
How could it increase $900 in just 1 year??? Inflation is only 3% isn't it?
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2011, 08:14 PM   #22
PHANTMXR6
It's not an FG MKI.......

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willing to help out with useful advice in the technical areas of the forum. 
Smile

Are you sure the figure from last year didn't include a NCB?

Also depends on what type of car you have, where you live, named drivers etc.

Want to know how to do an A Service for an FG XR6T?

Look in this http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11339404

Thinking of oil sampling your engine?

Have a look at this trend http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....ght=oil+sample
PHANTMXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2011, 08:27 PM   #23
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Claim then change insurance companies..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2011, 08:42 PM   #24
J.Molloy
Territorial

well just to check back on it, SGIO, my insurer cover anyone who drives my car, went to get it assessed last week and it's booked in for monday for all repairs.
They were pretty good about it, no issues at all, just have to pay my stated excess which is $500, even though I told them it was the missus driving and we are both under 25.
And I retain my NCB so all worked out pretty well so far, just gotta hope the repairer does a good job of it
Cheers for all the info and thoughts guys will let ya know how the repairs turn out
Jake
Old 19-01-2011, 09:11 PM   #25
colin0933

The most important thing with any insurance that you take out is not the cost of the policy, but whether you have choice of repairer or not. The last thing you want is someone repairing your car based on being cheaper than the next bloke. I was insured with GIO (NSW) for years and recently changed to YOUI. The policy was $250.00 less, an extra $2,500.00 agreed value & choice of repairer. As I work in the industry & have for over 30 years, it is imperative that I can choose who does the job. An agreed value policy is better than market value policy so that you know exactly what your car is insured for. It is not uncommon for an insurer to put a lower agreed value on your vehicle to minimise their loss. Don't get fooled by paying the lowest premium because it may not be the best value. Keep away from AAMI
colin0933 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2011, 09:25 PM   #26
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHANTMXR6
Are you sure the figure from last year didn't include a NCB?

Also depends on what type of car you have, where you live, named drivers etc.
Whats NCB?
All I know I payed a grand total of 2000 last year and this year my grand total is 1700... and they reckon that's with a 1200 discount.
Old 19-01-2011, 09:49 PM   #27
colin0933

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
Whats NCB?
All I know I payed a grand total of 2000 last year and this year my grand total is 1700... and they reckon that's with a 1200 discount.
No claim bonus
colin0933 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2011, 10:05 PM   #28
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh well no last year I didn't have a NCB because I have never had insurance before.
Old 19-01-2011, 11:58 PM   #29
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
I have an insurance question.

Last year my insurance was $2000.
This year it said I get a no claim discount of 45%.
So this year it says I have to pay $1700 After a $1200 discount.
So is that right in saying that if I didn't get a no claim discount my insurance would of cost $2900 this year????
How could it increase $900 in just 1 year??? Inflation is only 3% isn't it?
Insurance does not work on the CPI index. It is all worked off stats and risk.
Stats can and do change. I will give you an extreme and perhaps simple hypothetical example.

An insurer may insure rare cars.
Perhaps they have 2 cars of the same make and model insured on thier books. For arguments sake a lets say a Veyron.

Lets say 1 of those cars they insure in that year gets written off and they have to pay out a million dollars. That equates to 50% of that type of vehicle that they insure becomming a greater risk- statistically speaking.

The other stats that come into the equation are where the car is kept (suburb/street) If it is garaged or parked on the street. age of regular drivers, Drivers past accident/claim history, stats of average repairs, price of parts, etc, etc etc
Old 20-01-2011, 03:38 PM   #30
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes I understand all that.
But my car is not rare. Slow as ****, and all my details are the same as last year, except now I am off my P's so that can only help. Surely they rate P platers as a high risk then full licence driver.