Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 08-08-2009, 09:27 PM   #1
SSVPom
Formally FairmontPom

Default Drove an SS Sportwagon today...

As the title says, I drove a 6 speed manual SS Commodore Sportwagon today, and was mightily impressed with the way it moved, although much less so the plasticky interior and plain look to the cabin.

Does anyone on here have experience with these cars ? Reliability and owner ship feedback would be great as I am getting quite tempted it has to be said.

Also, just to clear things up, I'm feeling great amount of guilt as it is from the red corner, not the blue corner. I really need better load carrying capacity than a Falcon sedan, as my other car is a Liberty sedan with no folding seats and a small ish boot, so hence my need for a practical-but-fast family car dilemma...

Cheers.

Old 08-08-2009, 09:34 PM   #2
pmpdau
Has caught the bug...

Um mate not too sure if you noticed haha, but this is the AU Falcon section....in the FORD forums :P

Im sure if you wanted some opinions though, the general chat section would probably be able to help.....
pmpdau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2009, 01:28 AM   #3
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Ah Andy, your soul must be really torn.

First you head to the Japanese, now turning fully to the Dark Side.

May God have mercy on you! LOL!

BTW, I'm not sure how much extra load carrying room you'll get from the crummy wagon. Look carefully as the curved cargo area isn't anywhere near as large as you may think.

You are from Blighty however and over there the idea of a large cargo area is the Mondeo Estate! Perhaps that's what's causing all the confusion, as may have led to the Suburu purchase in the first place. LOL!

If I was looking for a new family car, I'd be looking at a Territory or BF2 Futura Wagon.

All the best with your deliberations.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2009, 08:00 AM   #4
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

SS Wagon would be a good choice - there;s new new ford offering, and 6.0 of V8 power is certainly worth going to the dark side for. Don't worry about getting the AFM option though - the extra cost for a 1l/100km saving is hard to justify and would take a long time to realise the saving. Far better off converting to SVI or LPLI.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2009, 08:59 AM   #5
SSVPom
Formally FairmontPom

Fair call GK, My last car in England was indeed a Mondeo !

Cars are a lot cheaper these days, 2 years ago when I had to buy a work car for around $35k, there were no 'driveaway' deals on XR6 Falcons or the like, otherwise that's certainly what I would have purchased !

I'm now in the position to buy a 'muscle car', albeit a very practical one, so a Falcon XR6 Turbo wagon would be absolutely ideal...sigh...

This means the Fairmont Ghia will be up for sale, but it needs around $1k spending on for the RWC, basically a new steering rack/power steering pump leak/oil leak fix, so I'm thinking of putting up for sale on here (again) for around $7k without RWC - any thoughts ?

Cheers.

Last edited by FairmontPom; 09-08-2009 at 09:05 AM.
SSVPom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2009, 09:12 AM   #6
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontPom

Also, just to clear things up, I'm feeling great amount of guilt as it is from the red corner, not the blue corner. I really need better load carrying capacity than a Falcon sedan, as my other car is a Liberty sedan with no folding seats and a small ish boot, so hence my need for a practical-but-fast family car dilemma...

Cheers.
Be very careful mate we still have deportation orders here some ware
The wagon its self has very Tuff running gear, and as GK said the back is not as big as it looks and to top it off the rear end is BUTT ugly :

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2009, 09:22 AM   #7
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
BTW, I'm not sure how much extra load carrying room you'll get from the crummy wagon. Look carefully as the curved cargo area isn't anywhere near as large as you may think.

If you actually do need the carrying space of a wagon,then this is not the car to have. they only have 35l of carrying space more than a FG sedan.

Don't get me started on the plastic looking interior. I was in a Maloo ute yesterday and they may have nice seats but apart from that the are not a very nice looking interior. That is supposed to be their top of the range cars from HSV I would hate to see the other ones. The FG's and even my BA had a better feel interior to the VE range.
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2009, 09:22 AM   #8
SSVPom
Formally FairmontPom

They can't deport me if they don't know I'm here ! LOL. Nah, we're paid up Aussie citizens now...

The Sportwagon is more of a hatchback really, but the interior on anything other than the Calais V or SS V is just so PLAIN.

Will be driving an XR6 T this week for comparison, as I love the look of the thing and have heard it's nearly a second quicker to 100km/h than the SS !
Old 09-08-2009, 09:58 AM   #9
T3man
Banned

Well once you drive the XR6 turbo you won't look at the SS wagon again. Simple choice really. But if you want load space AND some good performance thrown in then maybe a 2nd hand Turbo Territory Ghia would fit the bill; and you'll get a two/three year old one for around the $40k mark.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2009, 10:05 AM   #10
5L
[ 5L ]

ford really need to have a sports wagon option.

i like the look of the ve calais wagon and ss wagon
[ 5L ] 2001 AU series 2 xr8, 220kw, 5speed, leather interior, premium sound, narooma blue, cat back exhaust, k&n filter,willall edit,MSD coil packs, MSD leads, monroe gt gas shocks, superlow kingsprings 187rwkw (mainline)

www.ignitionimages.com
5L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2009, 01:50 PM   #11
pmpdau
Has caught the bug...

But then again with the turbo territory do they really need a sports wagon option?

I personally like the calais wagon over the SS, but I've only been in the Calais not the SS.

IMO if the XR6T doesnt have the storage and the territory isnt for you I would say the Calais Wagon
pmpdau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2009, 08:19 PM   #12
RUKIDN
Missing the boost :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5L
ford really need to have a sports wagon option.

i like the look of the ve calais wagon and ss wagon
second that!
i have always liked the idea of the ss wagons and the new ve clubby wagons are a tough piece of work.. Always wanted ford to do the same and produce some performance wagons, an xr8 or f6 wagon anyone?? ;)
RUKIDN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2009, 09:06 PM   #13
AU_Wagin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUKIDN
second that!
i have always liked the idea of the ss wagons and the new ve clubby wagons are a tough piece of work.. Always wanted ford to do the same and produce some performance wagons, an xr8 or f6 wagon anyone?? ;)
I third that

Old 14-08-2009, 09:32 PM   #14
AU_Wagin

I must have killed this thread :(
Old 14-08-2009, 09:43 PM   #15
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

have no idea about reiability of the Commy wagon sorry , but i have thought of another possible choice muscle car type wagon, Chyrsler make a 300 c wagon don`t they?
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2009, 09:51 PM   #16
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontPom
my other car is a Liberty sedan with no folding seats and a small ish boot, so hence my need for a practical-but-fast family car dilemma...

Cheers.
So sell your Liberty sedan and get a turbo Liberty wagon ;)
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2009, 10:16 AM   #17
SSVPom
Formally FairmontPom

I'm going to the preview night of the new Liberty and Outback next week, although won't be able to stretch to the price of a turbo. Trouble is the new ones look like they've been set fire to and put out with a large stick.... not a fan of Subaru's current design philosophy !

Au_wagin, your custom wagons are great ! Shame Ford do not produce something like it new, with finance and warranty.

I do not want a Territory, I've heard too many horror stories relating to ball joints and brake hoses, plus they're getting on in years with the previous BA/BF drivetrain, and I'm not after 7 seats or anything like that.

Yet to drive an XR6 Turbo, and it will be a couple of months before I can change vehicles, but got to start researching now haven't I !