Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 20-07-2007, 03:49 PM   #1
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default why did for announce it?

I cant help wondering why ford made the announcement regarding the engine plant so early.

Given that the plant is to stay in production for over two years, and they have Orion due next year, it seems strange that they didnt sit onthis until mid 2009 or something. For the next 2-3 years the ford will have this black cloud over them? I thought that you got bad news over quickly?

While it is good for the workers that they have as much notice as possible and goo don fordfor that, and i hope the workers do find other work, it seems to make no business sense.

Already people are saying "ford are canning the falcon" rather then jsut the engine. When the orion is released, people will think and reports may higlight that its the last of the old, that its a dinosaur with old tech rather then its the shining new. That its a dieing swan, kinda thing. It could cost them sales if people think its going to be axed.

Also over the next few years as workers find new jobs and leave the engine factory, who will replace them to build the last of the engines? What skilled person would take a job in that factory knowing that it will be closed soon? How will they get new quality workers?

Old 20-07-2007, 03:50 PM   #2
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wasn't it because someone leaked it to the media?
Old 20-07-2007, 03:58 PM   #3
King Nothing
He has, the Knack..

I was wondering the same thing today. This has gotten HUGE media exposure. Who is going to want to buy the "old tech" falcon? I think it's going to be a very lean 2.5-3 years for ford aus.

Workhorse, stock as a rock

2004 BA MKI Futura - Now the wife's

For Show: 18" Kaotic Shadow Chrome, King SL all round, Cadence Amp, Kenwood 12" Sub, JL Audio 5x7's, Scuff Plates, MP3 Connector

For Go: SVI LPG, K&N Filter, F6 CAI, XR6T snorkle, XR8 catback, Magnaflow metal cat, Pacemaker headers, Underdrive, Thermostat, Custom tune, DBA4000

Now with baby seat and toys

175.6 rwkw

www.bseries.com.au/King_Nothing
Old 20-07-2007, 04:33 PM   #4
XWGT
Powered by Marshall

Simple really.

I think Ford view this as a POSITIVE change for the brand and the business. It has a painful tinge at the moment, but it gives them ample time to now concentrate on locking in a good version of the new engine, plus leverage off any announcements about enhancements or further redesigns as they happen over the next 2 years basically giving them free hits at Holden in the marketing arena with no actual product on the market
Old 20-07-2007, 04:35 PM   #5
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Im worried about disgruntled workers, it will be interesting to watch the barra warranty claims from here on in.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 20-07-2007, 05:07 PM   #6
Squalo
Two Wheels Good

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

There's as much over-reaction right here on FF as there is in the media.

Simple answer is 'duty of disclosure'. As a publicly listed company, Ford is required by law to disclose anything that will have an effect on their profit and loss forecasts, budgets etc. When they do it is up to them, and usually the announcement of such decisions is timed to best suit the company (eg. just before end of financial year, when they are wrapping figures up). The timing of this seems to me to allow the aforementioned profit/loss data to have the best part of a year to absorb the information and see how the market views it - in the short term Fords share price would of course be expected to fall, but in 9 months things could be totally different and the damage inflicted by this announcement could be completely mitigated.

Simple business decision made by a business. FoMoCo is not an enthusiast's group out to make faster cars than Holden/HSV, despite what many people would like to believe.
1969 Kombi
Old 20-07-2007, 05:13 PM   #7
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm sure the workers aren't too disgruntled being given 3 years (maybe that's part of the reason they did it).

A thought I had is that maybe it's so when they actually do make the change it doesn't have such a negative impact on the new car sales straight away? Sort of like easing into it I suppose.
Holden made the decision to make thier utes for pretty boys years ago. Wannabe tradesman drive them. If my son came home and told me he bought a holden ute I would struggle to come to grips with the fact he is a homosexual.
Old 20-07-2007, 05:20 PM   #8
rodderz

Yes apparently media heard that the engine plant was shutting down, and decided to run with the story that 600 workers will be sacked.

Not sure when the planned news release was but there could be more to the story that they cant release yet, such as the new model to be manufactured here, a new R & D facility and who knows what else, maybe manufacturing parts for the new V6 or other cars? As Ford did say, a lot of the 600 workers at the engine plant could be slotted in at other locations within the company.
Old 20-07-2007, 06:04 PM   #9
The Stylist
Automotive Designer

I've heard it was leaked by the same person who leaked the Orion FPV CGI's.
Old 20-07-2007, 06:06 PM   #10
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stylist
I've heard it was leaked by the same person who leaked the Orion FPV CGI's.
I wonder if it was a fired FPV manager ?

In hindsight it has really hurt FoA. I hope they have some good news soon.
Old 20-07-2007, 06:15 PM   #11
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

We shouldn't worry, Ford'll find a way through... hopefully!
Old 20-07-2007, 07:14 PM   #12
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

So can anyone recall what it was like back in the mid 80's when the Holden 6 was canned? I'd imagine that they were flogged in the media as well at the time.

There is a lot of good news behind the announcement. It is a pity that the focus is the number of jobs lost, but I have a feeling, as do some of you here, that there are some good announcements coming up that will counteract that.

One Ford. It has both bad and good implications. We always ask for the bad news first right? So here we are.

Lukeyson
Old 20-07-2007, 07:42 PM   #13
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Im worried about disgruntled workers, it will be interesting to watch the barra warranty claims from here on in.
Funny you should say that as in today's Geelong Advertiser, someone sent a text to the editor. Here it is "Hey tom gorman, after sackin us what incentives are ya going to give us to not make every motor for next 3 years a reject? Ponder that 1! Missing bolts".
Old 20-07-2007, 07:55 PM   #14
LUXO_8
windsor user

im sure quality control would pick that up through production.....anyone caught doing that would be out the door immediately wouldn't you reckon?....
Old 20-07-2007, 08:01 PM   #15
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNC_8
im sure quality control would pick that up through production.....anyone caught doing that would be out the door immediately wouldn't you reckon?....
Hope so. Not the best situation for workers to be in but no need for comments like this. (if it was a worker at all).
Old 20-07-2007, 08:09 PM   #16
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think it would dissapointing to hear that any disgruntled worker could potentially put lives risk by leaving bits out of an engine or any other part of the car in order to teach Tom Gorman a lesson. Most of Australia I'm sure will show there support in one form or another to these employees and their families, but to think that a disgruntled worker would repay that support by risking the safety of the public. I can't see it. These guys have pride in their work and I'm sure right up to the day the doors finally close, they will continue their work. And I guess they still have their bills to pay and mortage repayments to make.
Old 20-07-2007, 08:14 PM   #17
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
I think it would dissapointing to hear that any disgruntled worker could potentially put lives risk by leaving bits out of an engine or any other part of the car in order to teach Tom Gorman a lesson. Most of Australia I'm sure will show there support in one form or another to these employees and their families, but to think that a disgruntled worker would repay that support by risking the safety of the public. I can't see it. These guys have pride in their work and I'm sure right up to the day the doors finally close, they will continue their work. And I guess they still have their bills to pay and mortage repayments to make.
I agree mate. When we went back to work for 3 months in April, at Coghlan Russell, morale was extremely low but never did anyone of us produce a inferior product.
Old 20-07-2007, 08:30 PM   #18
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
But i have read on here never to buy a car built on Mondays or Fridays as they are dodgy yet the same quality control that would allow them to leave the assembly line can prevent disgruntled workers from 'accidently missing a few bolts' on the engine line?
Old 20-07-2007, 08:37 PM   #19
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wednesday cars were always the best to buy. I think that's more myth than anything. But it could be true.
Old 20-07-2007, 08:44 PM   #20
SuperMono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Plaizier
So can anyone recall what it was like back in the mid 80's when the Holden 6 was canned?
Well they had the announcement of big investment into making 4 cylinders for export back around that time as well to offset the negative side of things.

Holden always seem to play the marketing/PR game better than Ford or any other company locally.
Old 20-07-2007, 09:12 PM   #21
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

And I'm not sure it was Tom's decision in the first place. I'm sure a decision like this would come from FOMOCO head office.

Anyway guys read this post I got off FAF by "Superfresa" and keep ya heads up!

Quote:
Also, on another note, I'm kinda glad this happened now. Its over and done with. People will think that as of Yesterday, 600 jobs were lost, and Ford is sourcing their engines from overseas today. In two weeks, nobody will care. Its then when ford starts pumping out the good news. We've had several strikes - the loss of Fairlane, the closure of Geelong factory, the sliding sales numbers.

Lets hope Mondeo wins Wheels car of the year as it should, and Ford makes a huge fuss out of it. Then, Orion, reviewed and seen as better than the VE. Then, Orion, car of the year. Focus to start assembling cars in australia - 600 jobs GAINED. T5 project in development.... Its all good from here guys. Almost all.

And the australian public will forget 600 jobs were "Lost" by the time it starts getting warmer. This summer will be a good one for Ford.

Stand strong guys. Through good times and bad. The hardest blow has hit. Get up, move on...
Old 21-07-2007, 07:27 PM   #22
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Wednesday cars were always the best to buy. I think that's more myth than anything. But it could be true.
This is a Myth, quality of the cars depends on the amount of workers that show up to assemble the cars each day as if the guys are under the pump mistakes are made and the quality is bad.

As for the whole loss of 600 jobs, Ford will offer the package to all of the workers in the manufacturing sector. When I went through the down balance last year we had operators that were leaving the office crying because they couldn't get the package. Ford will find 600 people that will want to quit.

As for timing, I guess it was leaked (not really sure). But I find it funny that the I6 is dropped the same time orion will be ready for LHD testing.
Old 21-07-2007, 10:28 PM   #23
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAadam
Funny you should say that as in today's Geelong Advertiser, someone sent a text to the editor. Here it is "Hey tom gorman, after sackin us what incentives are ya going to give us to not make every motor for next 3 years a reject? Ponder that 1! Missing bolts".
Sounds like a W@nk#r to me.
Old 21-07-2007, 10:47 PM   #24
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

closing this one, its being very much covered in the Orion Forums and most of the questions can be answered in this thread here.
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=109525

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
Closed Thread