Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 24-06-2006, 12:25 AM   #1
droppedauII
Banned

Default Only starts when it feels like it!!!!!!!

my au2 futra is haveing problems starting sometimes, leaveing the gf house the other night the thing wnt start n sounded like it wasnt geeting fuel so called the NRMA, wen he got there he tells me the fuel pump shat itself. so i sent it to the mechanic and got the pump changed and a full service
a week later the thing doing it again! but it doesnt occur every day just sumtimes so it make it hard for the mechanic to fix it coz it starts sumtimes! any one had this b4?
could there b sumthing wrong with the ECU?

any ideas please thanx

droppedauII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2006, 12:52 AM   #2
RspecAU
BA GT-P Owner

I would take it to a Ford dealer or somone who has a diagnostic computer this shouls tell you if there's a ECu problem.
ON MAXXIS MAV1's 275/45/17 13.27 @ 106mph
RspecAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2006, 03:38 AM   #3
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by droppedauII
my au2 futra is haveing problems starting sometimes, leaveing the gf house the other night the thing wnt start n sounded like it wasnt geeting fuel so called the NRMA, wen he got there he tells me the fuel pump shat itself. so i sent it to the mechanic and got the pump changed and a full service
a week later the thing doing it again! but it doesnt occur every day just sumtimes so it make it hard for the mechanic to fix it coz it starts sumtimes! any one had this b4?

any ideas please thanx
You might want to give more information than "it sounded like it wasn't getting any fuel."

If you explain what it's doing in more detail, I'm sure there will be many here who will give you a list of things to check out, one at a time until you get it sorted.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2006, 05:09 AM   #4
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by droppedauII

any ideas please thanx
For your sake , Im hoping for starters that when the mechanic changed the fuel pump , that he changed the fuel filter too ???, a blocked fuel filter can put excessive load on a fuel pump eventually blowing fuses or burning it out.
Almost sounds like a new pump with an old dirty fuel filter problem maybe ( if it wasn't changed ).

If the fuel filter was changed aswell , then maybe it could be the charcoal canister is blocked/or the line from the tank to the charcoal canister blocked.

Next time it wont start , pop open the fuel cap and see if you get a big hiss of air release from the tank , if you do then you might have a breather problem which could be causing your problems.

Could even be the relay for the fuel pump, might be on its way out ( the contacts starting to burn out in it ) .

Just a few basic things to check first maybe , bit hard to fully diagnose the problem off that explination you gave us , as GK mentioned ;) .

cheers.

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2006, 01:01 PM   #5
droppedauII
Banned

well its hard to explain really and its hard to the mechanic to solve coz it doesnt always have this problem. ita like trying to start ur car with no petrol put it dat way, thats the best way i can describe it really but thanx for the advice ill check it asap
droppedauII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2006, 01:41 PM   #6
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

I reckon its your fuel pump relay.Change it.Only costs a few bucks.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2006, 01:51 PM   #7
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by useless
I reckon its your fuel pump relay.Change it.Only costs a few bucks.
A cheap thing to replace and either fix the prob, or mark off the checklist.

Good idea useless, whose advice here was anything but!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post