Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 24-03-2006, 09:26 AM   #1
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Smile OMG ! , it made a small difference !

Lastnight i decided to make 1 of those small scoops (just for the hell of it because it was easy and i had the stuff allready lying around for it ) for infront of the radiator behind the front grill , to direct the air more into the intake nozzle, made it from some spare 2mm aluminium sheet i had lying around.
Well ! - i was pretty much expecting no results at all , considering everything else is still standard ( standard small snorkle etc etc ), but to my avail i immediatelly noticed the car was run'n smoother, didn't have to give it as much accelerator down low ( better pickup ) , allthough i gained nothing in the overall way at higher speeds of increased performance , just ran a hell of a lot smoother.
After messing around giving the car a gut-full yesterday ( driving it harder than i usually do ) i noticed i used bugger all fuel too compared to usual ! , and this morning was the first time i have actually witnessed my DTE readout going UP slowly since buying the car , usually it just drops and drops no matter how soft i drive the car. I would of usually had to top up this morning too but it seems i still have plenty of fuel left on the guage and DTE , so it has definatelly done more than i thought or hoped - and no its not all in my head , i definatelly felt and saw the results. It's nothing in the way of 'way out of sight' or anyhting , but for a bit of sheetmetal it has suprised the hell out of me the difference it made ! , i thought it would of ended up doing nothing and i would of ended up ripping it off and throwing it away , its definatelly staying on for now ! .

Attached Images
File Type: jpg scoop1.jpg (15.7 KB, 230 views)
File Type: jpg scoop1a.jpg (8.6 KB, 180 views)

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2006, 12:14 PM   #2
Yum-Yum
My 1st set of Wings!!!

LOL way to go man, any chance of a few pics with it in the car mate, and let us know how it goes over the next few weeks, this could be an added mod coming up :
Yum-Yum is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2006, 02:02 PM   #3
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Another great mod confirmed by the bum-o-meter.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2006, 02:23 PM   #4
Ringo
I see you....

Had a issue with and old falcon overheating. Added some strips down the side of the radiator to make the air go through the radiator rather than around it and it make a huge difference straight.

Please show pics of the mod !

Also would the position of the mod mean that water could be directed into the air filter box at all ?????
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2006, 02:24 PM   #5
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Another great mod confirmed by the bum-o-meter.
Bwahahahahahhahahahahaha :

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2006, 02:51 PM   #6
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

after reading that, and looking at the pics, I have no idea what you have made. apart from the fact it interacts with air and gets it towards the scoop, what exactly have you made, and where is it located??

some better pics would be great

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2006, 03:00 PM   #7
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo
Had a issue with and old falcon overheating. Added some strips down the side of the radiator to make the air go through the radiator rather than around it and it make a huge difference straight.

Please show pics of the mod !

Also would the position of the mod mean that water could be directed into the air filter box at all ?????
The airbox has at least 1 drainage hole, usually evaporates anyway, worst thing is having to vacuum the box for grit, etc every few weeks!
Pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2006, 03:03 PM   #8
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

lol this small mod has been done by others on here, as i stated , this isn't a mod with huge improvable/notice difference, but it was noticable a bit in a stock vct like mine with stock small snorkle etc etc . cars just feels a bit smoother now running and i have noticed the fuel lasting a bit longer too . not like its gonna run you a faster quater mile or anything ! ..besides i had the bits lying around so i had nothing to loose by trying it for 10mins work making it, but it is a nice little mod that made a small noticible difference to my car in the ways i mentioned above , ill get some pic of it in the car soon , it just sits behind the ront grill infront of the radiator -on an angle - directing/scooping the air more towards the snorkle intake hole . just breathes a bit better ;) .

Old 24-03-2006, 03:08 PM   #9
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo
bugger all if any , besides - i think u'll find thats what the 'U' shape on the original snorkle is for anyway , so if any water does get in it sits at the bottom 'U' in the main snorkle pipe making it hard for the airbox to suck it directly up the pipe. Only reason i can see for having that U in the original snorkle in the first place . ??

Old 24-03-2006, 03:35 PM   #10
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

Watch out mate.....
Theres afew pikers that think cai aint worth jack...
Good to see you can stick it to em!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2006, 03:56 PM   #11
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

here's some pics of it fitted to the car as requested .. and no the mini air scoop is'nt hard against the grill , there is about at least a 2 cm clearance between both the front grill bars and the scoop itself , so there is a clear passage of air being scooped in . And as you can see it is varelly visible behind the grill with the bonnet shut ;) .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg incar01.jpg (14.4 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg incar02.jpg (16.9 KB, 259 views)
File Type: jpg incar03.jpg (14.4 KB, 211 views)
File Type: jpg incar04.jpg (11.1 KB, 164 views)
File Type: jpg incar07.jpg (16.8 KB, 221 views)
File Type: jpg incar08.jpg (12.1 KB, 139 views)

Old 24-03-2006, 04:02 PM   #12
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

oops ...with bonnet closed ..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg incar09.jpg (14.6 KB, 129 views)

Old 24-03-2006, 04:02 PM   #13
Qwikcorty
V8 Turbo Hoon

these little things work, in my stock au1 xr8 with one and the bigger snorkel im getting about 100kms more than when i bought it.
Qwikcorty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2006, 04:05 PM   #14
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwikcorty
these little things work, in my stock au1 xr8 with one and the bigger snorkel im getting about 100kms more than when i bought it.
Too right ! ;) - better than i expected ! - i expected nothing , im glad i didn't bag them be4 at least trying it otherwise i would of been eating my words around this stage ! ..lol

Old 24-03-2006, 04:12 PM   #15
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

but, but, but, the scientific whatsamacallit principle says it couldnt possibly work.. blah blah blah.
Good work, looks like a neat and tidy fit too. If it feels like it works and you are using less fuel then it probably does work. Next time your at a dyno day do 2 run without and 2 run with... see what happens. CAI works, no doubt in my mind. Its not mega KW gains but overall it is an improvement.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2006, 04:20 PM   #16
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
but, but, but, the scientific whatsamacallit principle says it couldnt possibly work.. blah blah blah.
Good work, looks like a neat and tidy fit too. If it feels like it works and you are using less fuel then it probably does work. Next time your at a dyno day do 2 run without and 2 run with... see what happens. CAI works, no doubt in my mind. Its not mega KW gains but overall it is an improvement.
Thanks , yeah as i said it aint nothing in the mega KW gain range, i noted bugger all more power really , just seemed to run alot smoother ( that might be in my head ! ..lol , but i dont think so , definatelly seems a bit smoother ) .. but as far as saving fuel - well its speaking for itself , i have allready used heaps less than i would of by now on certian trips i do each day. I almost laughed at it to when i first saw the concept , but i had to try it before i bagged it as i could see a bit of logic behind it , worked a bit in my case for the better, im happy so far . if i had bought the bit of aluminium i would of allready payed it off in fuel saving allready ..lmao , but i had a sheet of it lying around anyway ;)

Old 24-03-2006, 07:58 PM   #17
Yum-Yum
My 1st set of Wings!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6-VCT-2000
Thanks , yeah as i said it aint nothing in the mega KW gain range, i noted bugger all more power really , just seemed to run alot smoother ( that might be in my head ! ..lol , but i dont think so , definatelly seems a bit smoother ) .. but as far as saving fuel - well its speaking for itself , i have allready used heaps less than i would of by now on certian trips i do each day. I almost laughed at it to when i first saw the concept , but i had to try it before i bagged it as i could see a bit of logic behind it , worked a bit in my case for the better, im happy so far . if i had bought the bit of aluminium i would of allready payed it off in fuel saving allready ..lmao , but i had a sheet of it lying around anyway ;)
After seeing the pics man, it makes a hell of a lot more sense, so making the deflectadoodacky longer would collect more air yeah? as I see the ones that are offer for like the SS are only about a 1/4 the length.
Old 24-03-2006, 08:01 PM   #18
1TUFFUTE
Banned

nice work there bud...and it cost sweet bugger all. Now thats a mod to brag about mate
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2006, 08:17 PM   #19
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yum-Yum
After seeing the pics man, it makes a hell of a lot more sense, so making the deflectadoodacky longer would collect more air yeah? as I see the ones that are offer for like the SS are only about a 1/4 the length.
The more cool air you can scoop into that snorkle the better i recon, so yeah the bigger the scoop the better. I made that 1 about as long as i could anyway, it pretty much toutches the bottom inside of the bumper below the 2 main grill bars (curved in towards it) , and longer and it would of been hitting the horn behind the bumper , there is no air flow really anyway just below this level because of the bumper so it didn't need to be any longer, it hasn't effecting the temp of the radiator at all (i checked in diagnostic mode too to get a more accurate radiator/engine temp), its still getting plenty of air too;) .

Old 24-03-2006, 08:18 PM   #20
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dev5 ute
nice work there bud...and it cost sweet bugger all. Now thats a mod to brag about mate
Thanks mate , nice comments appreciated ;) (<~~ probably the shortest reply i have ever written ! ..lol )

Old 24-03-2006, 09:49 PM   #21
Yum-Yum
My 1st set of Wings!!!

Got anything else coming up in your lil bag of tricks :hihi:
Old 24-03-2006, 10:04 PM   #22
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yum-Yum
Got anything else coming up in your lil bag of tricks :hihi:

Im not gonna take credit for designing that last little goodie , has been done by others on this website ( is where i got the idea from, i just made it longer / curved different a bit and fit better / more effective imo ) , you can buy them too as somone else mentioned earlier i think , but the ones you buy are only of short length and have to be screwed on. As far as the next mod im looking at a mod im designing to keep the WHOLE intake pipe cooler from airbox to intake manifold - as mentioned in the 'Intake-Mod' thread. After im happy with the air intake pipes coolness im hoping to achieve with that mod then maybe onto the next 1 , who knows what yet - 1 thing at a time ;) .. cheers.

Old 24-03-2006, 10:12 PM   #23
1TUFFUTE
Banned

keep us posted bud...love a new mod
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2006, 10:34 PM   #24
Yum-Yum
My 1st set of Wings!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dev5 ute
keep us posted bud...love a new mod
For sure, specially when your pockets are deeper than you can reach :
If it's tried and true, I'll give it a crack :nutsycuck
Old 24-03-2006, 10:50 PM   #25
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

As far as on a dyno with this small mod - i don't know if this small scoop mod would prove much or anything kw wise or show any better fuel economy unless you put a major cfm fan infront of the car ! ( as if it was travelling along and wind/air being forced onto the scoop ) , i can only really see / and i have noticed too - that this mod does save a bit of fuel and the car does run a bit smoother WHILE THE CAR IS TRAVELLING , at idle sitting in bad traffic it doesn't seem to do to much as it's still seems to suck to much hot air from around the snorkle-intake ( no cool air being forced in ). Allthough the fuel saving i have allready gained from while travelling with it has proven itself to me as a worth while mod , seems to suit with a pretty much stock setup so far anyway .

Old 25-03-2006, 12:47 AM   #26
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I performed a similar mod months ago with good results to my car.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/attachm...chmentid=10233
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2006, 12:53 AM   #27
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddarby
I performed a similar mod months ago with good results to my car.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/attachm...chmentid=10233
Spot on , after seeing that pic i just realised that was the picture from the original thread i got the idea from to try it too ;) wd . How much did that Aunger snorkle with the larger intake hole cost you ? - and where did you get it from ? - if you dont't mind me asking , wouldn't mind 1 myself .

Old 25-03-2006, 12:56 AM   #28
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talking

The aunger intake was $195 from Autobahn. You do have to remove the airbox to substantially increase the size of the opening mate.
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2006, 01:25 AM   #29
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

i have a few spare meters of some 6" inch ducting pipe lying around somewhere here , and plenty of spare 2mm aluminum sheet, i might have to see if i can maybe make a new larger alloy intake nozzle ( the entrance part of the snorkle ) and attatch the 6" tube to the end of that and the other end to a sealed plastic box i have here also spare (junk) which is the size of an airbox roughlly ( i'll use it as an airbox for now just for testing to see if any positive results before i go boring the hole bigger in my actual airbox !, ill prolly use a large car washing sponge or something like that jammed in the 6" tube to roughly simulate the air restriction the airfilter in the propper airbox would cause - ill fasten it so it doesnt get sucked into the intake ! ..lol - this would all just be for rough testing ! ), anything to save a few bux ..lol, $195 for a bit of plastic is darn expensive allthough it looks good and if it works well then even better , but i think ill try see if i can 'cheap way out of it' for now, while still trying to maintain a clean professional look to it . I like having a '1 of a kind / something different' mod . Gives you a bit more pride too when you can achieve good results while saving a fortune, and maintaining a pro look to it , imo to me anyway .

Old 25-03-2006, 02:14 AM   #30
Silhouette AU1 TS50.

Similar to what you get when you purchase a SS Inductions CAI.

http://www.ssinductions.com.au/auxr6xr8.htm

PIC'S OF MY
T1 TS50.
12 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post