Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 18-05-2021, 02:15 PM   #1
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Covid 19 -

and yet in this aspect of airlines she cant hold a candle to qantas ceo joyce and his want for borders open

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
Old 18-05-2021, 02:18 PM   #2
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Funny, I didn't hear the same backlash for the idiots asking restrictions and borders to lift during Victoria's outbreak. When it comes down to it, its the same .... different smell. "People need to die for the economy".

Agree on the vaccine front. No more announcements, no more promises, JFDI! If new variants come, deal with it, like we do with the annual flu shot.

Come to think of it, of the countries that have successfully rolled out vaccines, are any of those still experiencing mass ICUs and deaths? UK is going to be a really good test case I feel.
Old 18-05-2021, 02:41 PM   #3
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Funny, I didn't hear the same backlash for the idiots asking restrictions and borders to lift during Victoria's outbreak. When it comes down to it, its the same .... different smell. "People need to die for the economy".

Agree on the vaccine front. No more announcements, no more promises, JFDI! If new variants come, deal with it, like we do with the annual flu shot.

Come to think of it, of the countries that have successfully rolled out vaccines, are any of those still experiencing mass ICUs and deaths? UK is going to be a really good test case I feel.
Here is a stupid/trivial comparison.

We accept that driving cars will result in hundreds of deaths in Australia every year. We are ok with that. If we walked instead we could save hundreds of lives. Should we walk and take the train/bus? Of course we don't. We like cars and it is convenient.

If we have 80% of the population vaccinated, what is next? Keep the borders closed and say that any death is unacceptable? Is it 1, 10, 100 that is acceptable?

She didn't say it well, but what she said is true. CV is here to stay. Some people will get it if we open the borders up. At some stage we have to do that, we cannot go on forever like this. And I may be wrong but I am worried we as a country will be left behind very quickly as the rest of the world gets on with things.

And she may be selfish from a business perspective, but who isn't.
Old 18-05-2021, 03:16 PM   #4
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post

She didn't say it well, but what she said is true. CV is here to stay. Some people will get it if we open the borders up. At some stage we have to do that, we cannot go on forever like this. And I may be wrong but I am worried we as a country will be left behind very quickly as the rest of the world gets on with things.

And she may be selfish from a business perspective, but who isn't.
I actually agree. What she said now actually has a bit more merit than what was said back 8 months ago. We actually have a way out now, there is light. But quite often it's not what you say it's how you say it.

I think once we hit a vaccination target we'll need to open up.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
3 users like this post:
Old 18-05-2021, 03:38 PM   #5
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Oh yes, can’t wait for meth-headed nuffies to start falling off their scooters in Bali, then wanting bazillions via crowdfunding for urgent treatment, once again. It’s been nicer whilst they’ve remained nearquits.
3 users like this post:
Old 18-05-2021, 02:53 PM   #6
tweeked
N/A all the way

You can't remove all risk, otherwise four wheel drives with lift kits and bullbars would need to be banned. All speed limits brought down to 40.....everywhere. No alcohol, at all. Peanuts, banned. All of these will save bystanders by the hundreds every year.

So we will save way more than opening the borders once the we vaccinate the vulnerable plus 80 odd percent of the rest of us will kill. Why don't we do that now? Because who wants to live in a world without the things that make it interesting, and also that gives us jobs.

Yes, she said it in a way that everyone was going to jump on her. I for one don't think that was accidental, she wanted the headline to start the conversation. She just stated the obvious.

2 users like this post:
Old 18-05-2021, 05:44 PM   #7
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

NSW 9 million vaccines away from considering open borders: GSS Premier

Quote:
Premier Gladys Berejiklian says NSW will need to administer another 9 million COVID-19 vaccine doses to consider reopening international borders, as the state’s mass vaccination centre starts inoculating people in their 40s.
https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/...17-p57sku.html
Old 18-05-2021, 06:05 PM   #8
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
NSW 9 million vaccines away from considering open borders: GSS Premier

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/...17-p57sku.html
What's the population of NSW?
Old 18-05-2021, 06:12 PM   #9
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
A bit over 8 million, and everyone needs two jabs to be vaccinated.
Old 18-05-2021, 07:04 PM   #10
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Work Horse View Post
A bit over 8 million, and everyone needs two jabs to be vaccinated.
So they are saying the need 5m out of 6m adults vaccinated which is above 80%. Not sure if that will happen
Old 19-05-2021, 08:14 AM   #11
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
So they are saying the need 5m out of 6m adults vaccinated which is above 80%. Not sure if that will happen
Yes, it's a big ask but Aunty Glad's giving it a red-hot go.

Vaccination hub on track for more than 30,000 doses a week, NSW scouting second location

Quote:
NSW Health is looking to open a second mass vaccination clinic after its Sydney Olympic Park location administered a record number of vaccines on Monday.

The NSW Health Vaccination Centre is on track to deliver well over its promised 30,000 vaccinations a week when it begins to offer both Pfizer and AstraZeneca vaccines later this month, with doses already exceeding 5000 a day despite the facility not operating at full capacity.

Health Minister Brad Hazzard said investigations were being made regarding a possible second mass clinic “in or near” Newcastle.
https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/...18-p57svi.html

I'm off to do my bit this afternoon.
3 users like this post:
Old 18-05-2021, 06:13 PM   #12
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
About 8.5m I think.

EDIT:

https://www.bing.com/search?q=what+i...ANNTA1&PC=DCTS
This user likes this post:
Old 18-05-2021, 07:35 PM   #13
HIPO
Al

Bugger that Ivermectin for me!
Old 18-05-2021, 08:29 PM   #14
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Qantas: we were right to block passengers

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/subscribe/news/1/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 18-05-2021, 09:01 PM   #15
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
Qantas: we were right to block passengers

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/subscribe/news/1/
Subscription only
Old 18-05-2021, 09:09 PM   #16
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Subscription only

I’m not here to pay the subs of forum members.
Old 18-05-2021, 09:11 PM   #17
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

peasants !!
Old 19-05-2021, 12:03 PM   #18
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Data valid as at 00:00 GMT May 18th, 2021.

Note: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting.

5 new cases for Australia and no deaths so the CMR is 3.035%.

2 cases and no deaths for NZ so CMR is 0.980% and active cases 19.

The UK had a higher 2,412 cases yesterday and 7 deaths. They have had another adjustment of -2,853 cases spread across several weeks.

Just over 25k new cases in the USA yesterday and 432 deaths sees CMR at 1.780%. Note that the USA is actually minus one day due to time differences.

Other notable points:
South America passes 27M cases;

Bahrain (1,968); and
Argentina (35,443)

... recorded new daily highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

No countries move above the 90th percentile for their 10 day average while Sweden, Canada and Namibia drop below.

Observatio Facta Rotae

2 users like this post:
Old 19-05-2021, 01:47 PM   #19
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

I was looking at the graph I put up the other day for the cases by continent which was very 'spiky' thanks to the drops in weekend data so I've put the data in a pivot table and it can be shown weekly.

Here are all the continents (except Oceania) together since May 2020.

.. and the same data viewed as a fourth order polynomial trend:

Observatio Facta Rotae

2 users like this post:
Old 19-05-2021, 02:03 PM   #20
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nurse administers one Covid vaccine in eight hours at Victorian hub as NSW ramps up rollout

https://www.theguardian.com/australi...mps-up-rollout

More needs to be done from all sides to get people in. Will be interesting to check the state vs state numbers again in a months time.
Old 19-05-2021, 02:26 PM   #21
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator
Here it is, but no sample size or population mentioned. I also read somewhere that Australia, only 2nd to the US, is most likely to believe in conspiracies. Although I think in this case its complacency being the main driver.

Almost one-third of adult Australians say they’re unlikely to get COVID vaccination: survey

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/f...18-p57szo.html

I love how these clowns push the conspiracy angle, like everyone who doesn't want to get it believes it's a conspiracy to put chips inside us. It's the biggest load of garbage. No one believes that except a few dullards that probably also believe the earth is flat.

What people do think, is one of 3 things. That these vaccines are long term unproven, can cause side effects resulting in blood clots and death (in small numbers), and also the complacency part is definitely a big factor also. Being lucky enough to pretty much have eliminated covid in the community, and with borders closed, means it's basically no risk. This might change when the borders are opened up and covid eventually returns.

People aren't refusing it because they believe they are getting computer chips injected into them. Mickey Molloy was pushing that crap on triple m yesterday

I don't know who's dumber, him, or me for listening to that moron.
5 users like this post:
Old 19-05-2021, 02:56 PM   #22
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
I love how these clowns push the conspiracy angle, like everyone who doesn't want to get it believes it's a conspiracy to put chips inside us. It's the biggest load of garbage. No one believes that except a few dullards that probably also believe the earth is flat.

What people do think, is one of 3 things. That these vaccines are long term unproven, can cause side effects resulting in blood clots and death (in small numbers), and also the complacency part is definitely a big factor also. Being lucky enough to pretty much have eliminated covid in the community, and with borders closed, means it's basically no risk. This might change when the borders are opened up and covid eventually returns.

People aren't refusing it because they believe they are getting computer chips injected into them. Mickey Molloy was pushing that crap on triple m yesterday

I don't know who's dumber, him, or me for listening to that moron.
LOL I don't listen to MMM but surely the code of conduct would have prevented something like that going to air? Although Mick is a bit of a joker, hard to know when he is being serious or not.

Authorities have a lot of work to do to mitigate the causes of vaccine hesitancy, regardless of what category they fall in, the end result is still the same.

Whilst the 5G / tracking stuff is WAY out there, there are some other theories that blur into the long term health concerns line. Note there are people out there that still think this whole covid thing is a big lie or hoax.
Old 20-05-2021, 01:19 AM   #23
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
What people do think, is one of 3 things. That these vaccines are long term unproven, can cause side effects resulting in blood clots and death (in small numbers), and also the complacency part is definitely a big factor also. .
Theres a group you may not have thought of.

People who are happy to wait till there is a better vaccine option than the AZ.....

I wouldnt underestimate the size of that group.

(It's the red triangle with exclamation mark on the left)
4 users like this post:
Old 19-05-2021, 02:23 PM   #24
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A lot of people are getting them done at their bulk billing GP, so why book in and que up at a centre
Old 19-05-2021, 03:50 PM   #25
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Vaccine incentives

https://twitter.com/CharlieEmmaUK/st...16524307693570
2 users like this post:
Old 20-05-2021, 10:43 AM   #26
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71V8 View Post
To be honest, not a bad idea.

Perhaps the 4 x $25 vouchers should have been that incentive??

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Old 20-05-2021, 11:13 AM   #27
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
To be honest, not a bad idea.

Perhaps the 4 x $25 vouchers should have been that incentive??
Ohio are doing a $1M lottery. 5 people will be drawn and each win $1M.People who can provide proof of vaccination can go into the draw.

It resulted in turning a 24% drop in vaccination rates to a 6% increase.
Old 20-05-2021, 11:26 AM   #28
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Ohio are doing a $1M lottery. 5 people will be drawn and each win $1M.People who can provide proof of vaccination can go into the draw.

The prize would probably be less than treating those that get sick from lack of vaccination.

Another state in the US is providing college scholarships I hear.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
3 users like this post:
Old 20-05-2021, 07:51 PM   #29
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Ohio is a **** hole full of people that cant afford x lotto tickets ??
Old 20-05-2021, 06:58 AM   #30
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep, I agree Zilo, that would be a high percentage
Closed Thread