Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 11-07-2009, 02:49 PM   #1
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 
Default How much boost can an au six take?

Just wondering what is the highest boost we can run in these stock? How much can we run modified and what mods are need it to stop it from blowing up? I love the idea of supercharging and second preference is turbo..Just want to know how far we can take the au sohc six? What is the most streetable power on boost out of these? We dont have the extra spinning baggage of the double cammed ba motors ..so what do you think is realistic?
250? 350?450 550 rwkws? Is this possible? How much boost?

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2009, 02:58 PM   #2
The Monty
Just slidin'

You can get 600kw bottom ends from Atomic, around 6-7k.
Id say they will take 20lb if built right, what does the EA from mikes Dyno run?
Old 11-07-2009, 02:58 PM   #3
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My car is holding up with 10psi, completly stock motor.
Someone out there is making 268rwkw's with w2a cooler and cam, same pulley as mine, stock bottom end and no head work.
On stock bottom end I don't know if you could safely thrash it every day on much more then 10psi
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2009, 03:23 PM   #4
Cam
Stroking it...

What are you asking? How much boost can it take stock? Or how much power can it make? Or how much can it take if built? Or how much boost you need to make xxxrwkw? There are a lot of different questions in your original post...

To stop it blowing up? Decent tune? Not too much compression? Keeping RPM down?

What is realistic? How much money you got to spend?

Whats the most streetable power on boost? Define streetable?

Have seen 300rwkw on stock bottom ends, but for how long?
Now: Busted assed EB Wagon - 5sp and Dual Fuel.
Cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2009, 03:28 PM   #5
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam
What are you asking? How much boost can it take stock? Or how much power can it make? Or how much can it take if built? Or how much boost you need to make xxxrwkw? There are a lot of different questions in your original post...

To stop it blowing up? Decent tune? Not too much compression? Keeping RPM down?

What is realistic? How much money you got to spend?

Whats the most streetable power on boost? Define streetable?

Have seen 300rwkw on stock bottom ends, but for how long?
Both..stock and modified.How far can we take the au six motor?

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Old 11-07-2009, 03:41 PM   #6
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

I think the question is for how long, and with what sort of right foot?

I know that there are stocko internal e series making 320rwkw with apparently safe AFR. The AU bottom end is far stronger than the E series part. But I suspect the real question is how long will it last..... 400rwkw may be a possibility, but sustaining that will be a problem.

I think the answer for a reliable car with a truck load of torque is somewhere around 200rwkw to 250rwkw with 7 - 9 psi but the key will be how good the tune is, and how often you are standing on the loud pedal. At the end of the day, the more stress and the more frequent the stress placed on internals, the more likely the failure.

My car is making around 200rwkw, but is only driven flat out on the rare occaision. Give it stress with drag racing and burn outs, expect to bring on a failure sooner.

Too many turbo toys......
2009 FG F6 Nitro LPI LPG 290rwkw on LPG.
2005 BAMKII XR6 Turbo with LPG (ex HWP 255,000k's and counting)
Honda 2001 CR500E Road registered CR500
Honda 1985 CR500 (the one with the arm ripping power)
DT200r regoed Hack
Yamaha IT/YZ 465 Vinduro rocket
Imported IT465 and 490 back up bikes
VF1000R mid 80's racer built by HMR
Honda CR480 Air cooled project road cafe racer.
T88 Turbo XT Falcon project with 351 Cleveland (mothballed)
Plus the rest.

TURBOTAXI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2009, 03:44 PM   #7
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

Modified? IMHO The sky and your wallet will be the limit - there is no reason that the same sort of boost than gets pumped into 6 - 7 second 2JZGTE motors ~60psi could not be acheived if you spent the tens of thousands on development, tuning and components.

Too many turbo toys......
2009 FG F6 Nitro LPI LPG 290rwkw on LPG.
2005 BAMKII XR6 Turbo with LPG (ex HWP 255,000k's and counting)
Honda 2001 CR500E Road registered CR500
Honda 1985 CR500 (the one with the arm ripping power)
DT200r regoed Hack
Yamaha IT/YZ 465 Vinduro rocket
Imported IT465 and 490 back up bikes
VF1000R mid 80's racer built by HMR
Honda CR480 Air cooled project road cafe racer.
T88 Turbo XT Falcon project with 351 Cleveland (mothballed)
Plus the rest.

TURBOTAXI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2009, 03:52 PM   #8
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

i don't think your problem is going to be motor based, i'd look somewhere down the drivetrain a little.
Old 11-07-2009, 03:57 PM   #9
SLO AU XR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Although the AU motor is better and more refined than the E-Series motor, they are not as strong. Gozza destroyed 2 standard AU motors at 250rwkw.... he now has an ED motor with ACL Race Series gear that has taken a pounding for over a year now. Fritzz is running 468rwkw on a stock EL bottom end, and building an AU motor to take more power than that.
Forced Performance Tuned
SLO AU XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2009, 04:05 PM   #10
Cam
Stroking it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
i don't think your problem is going to be motor based, i'd look somewhere down the drivetrain a little.
Oh god, don't get him started on gearboxes..
Now: Busted assed EB Wagon - 5sp and Dual Fuel.
Cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2009, 04:17 PM   #11
Mr Hardware

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

ahaha
Old 11-07-2009, 05:57 PM   #12
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

'TURBOTAXI' is on the money, listen to him. :

Don't forget, with forced engines the power isn't directly comparable to a N/A engine simply because of the enormous torque as soon as boost arrives.

A 200rwkw turboed 4L 6 will eat a 200rwkw N/A 4L 6 in as much as a quick point to point car.

BTW, my money is on a turbo, don't bother with supercharging.
Old 11-07-2009, 06:57 PM   #13
sikford
THE Fairmont Ghia 75th

Stav, being that your a real car enthusiast i think you know the answer to this, its the question of how deep are you pockets, i am only saying this as i was looking right into boosting my AU with a procharger and was looking to make 650hp at the engine which can be done but is a very expensive exercise.just my 2c.also as said above the rest of the driveline will need 'abit' of work. It would see you selling lots of other things that you own to pay for it.
Current Mods-HD Built Gearbox+(Mirror Polished, Modified Valve Body), 2500rpm Hi-Stall Convertor(TCE Custom Built), BIG Trans Cooler, Braided Lines/Speedflow Fittings, 2.5" Exhaust, Custom CAI, Detailed UnderCarriage, Custom SQ Stereo Install.
My Ride
My Build Thread
sikford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2009, 07:24 PM   #14
au11futura
ROCKING THE EL FUTURA

yeh ive heard of the e-series motors to be able to withstand 15 pound with a turbs but how long they can last for is based on the tune the thrashing and how well looked after they are. I think go the turbs, but spend abit to strengthen the thing up. Dont go blowing cash and have an completely stock donk mate as you'll find out the hard way.

My build that was http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11267696

ENVI BA XR6T
BUILD THREAD..http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11345961 TAKEN BY THE EX
NOW A EL FUTURA

EB MONTY NOW IN THE SHED
BACK IN THE E-SERIES

THREAD DIGGEr
au11futura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2009, 08:09 PM   #15
justa6
justa6

e-series have shorter rod's and are proving stronger then au in stock form, i am yet to see an e-series rod break.. as for power 300rwkw is good on the street, and is pretty easily achieved with a good turbo.
justa6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2009, 10:10 PM   #16
rob_liss_lms10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It also depends on what you want to use the car for. I have seen a 430rwkw BF phoon on a race track and it was virtually undrivable out of the corners, blindingly fast down the straight though. Have also seen plenty of 300+ street cars that are a real handful in the wet and if the foot goes down a little to quickly on a dry road even. I have been a passenger in a BA phoon with 340rwkw and the thing scared the bee Jesus out of me, they make so much power straight from idle and make it soooo fast I feel it is just far to dangerous for road applications. Call me an old fuddy duddy if you will, but honestly no street car needs that much power. Going fast around corners on a twisty road doesn't require bucket loads of power, just good handling. If the car is being turbo-ed just to go really fast for 400m in a straight line then your dedication to a time slip with low numbers is immense, I just hope your wallet is the same size cause you are going to need it. I know I haven't helped in any way to answer your question so mods delete if you will, how ever my point is there is more to consider than just how much power can be obtained, but is it really necessary.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:08 AM   #17
Stav
Smile

Guys for me ..its a question simply of how far can it go.Thoughts in my head....deregister the wagon and go the full hog..where reliablitity may not be an option or the max reliable power a street car can have and be practical.
Turbo taxi for me I enjoy the science of making it happen and making it work. For the job ..ramblings in my head are telling me stronger rods..pistons..crankshaft and a driveline as well.Then of course suspension.
Fact is having 500rwkws at the treads is just ridiculous for street use so there are also ethical questions of practical safety. 400 to 500 rwkws on the street...do I need it to go shopping? Speed limits are 110 max that I know of.I suppose at the track I may use it ...But just for the science ..the doing it ..this is my interest. I have broken alot of parts on the wagon...I learnt alot..now I am just thinking that I am bored.....I can try alot more in na form but its pretty close to peak performance for that car while having it just drivable. At idle it sounds like a cranky v8. Any bigger cams and the likes would just make it too wild as a daily driver.
So ..the ba/ fg boys and their tuners keep singing their deserved praises day in day out ..but has any of us au boys taken the fight to them? Sure they sort of looked down on the little sohc 4.0 au due to its apparent lack of boost but i think it will keep them on their toes.
The next problem...is money!!! What would something like this cost? This is where it could end right now...is it viable? How much? Or should I just strap on 9 psi blower and be happy with a mid 12 second wagon?

Old 12-07-2009, 11:22 AM   #18
Stav
Smile

Also what sort of drop in et can I expect realistically with 9psi? I have headwork a nice cam 3 inch xorst?

Old 12-07-2009, 01:12 PM   #19
T3man
Banned

Forget putting a turbo on the motor in it's current configuration. If you want a good driveable tubo motor you go back to the drawing board. Your current cam will be the main issue, along with cylinder pressure from your headwork. If you want to boost your present motor you have to look towards a supercharger. This will be your simplest and cheapest solution but you have to accept that you will be limited to about 7 to 8 psi for reliability which will get you probably no more than 200rwkW. The car will drive just like it does now - but will be sharper and quicker at all revs.

If you decide you want to go turbo, then expect to pay a minimum of $12k on building from scratch a reliable motor that will get you 300rwkW. This is about the most an AU chassis is safe for in road trim IMO.

EDIT ... PS, 200rwkW will get you sub 14 secs easily.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2009, 02:20 PM   #20
Mr Hardware

step one: sell wagon
step two: buy $15k XR6T
step three: do nothing
step four: relax

just putting it out there, it's a path that's hard to resist.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:04 PM   #21
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Wink

Quote:
step one: sell wagon
step two: buy $15k XR6T
step three: do nothing
step four: relax

just putting it out there, it's a path that's hard to resist.
Gold!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2009, 04:58 PM   #22
The Monty
Just slidin'

Dont remember anywhere in the OP where it says, "Should I sell my Wagon and spend $15k on a BA xr6t".
Old 12-07-2009, 05:32 PM   #23
justa6
justa6

yeah and have the heapa drop a rod on a standard engine nut347 style.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:44 PM   #24
TX3VIL

pretty sure 'block' wise there's not a lot of differance even from pre cross flow 6's so i dont understand why your should be so patriotic towards the AU i6. you're modifying the engine regardless so it's not as if you're using a standard AU 6 cylinder to acheive your results. if it's all just so u can say, hey i only used an AU 6 cylinder and i beat a BA 6 cylinder, i'd have to say you've got some fairly messed up priorities. personally i dont see the point in spending so much money to get and underpowered motor acheive the same or less than something cheaper and readily available. slapping a big turbo on the side of an AU 6 without doing anymore work to it is a recipe for trouble. even if u just got the non turbo i6 from a BA it's a much better starting point. something else to think about also, twin cam setups respond way better to turbcharging.

Just for the record tho, i think you'd need to rebuild the bottom end with quality bearings, balanced crank, forgies and a decent set of conrods, machine the block and give the head a nice port job. big cams aren't a big necessity for turbos so dont even bother unless u're willing to spend mega bucks on everything else first. do a bit of research and compare the internals with a BA turbo's and if it doesn't have it then you'll need to put it in there. hate to see u spend some money and then have it crap itself.

i'm by no means an expert, and i think you'd be silly listening to anyones honest to goodness opinion and take it as gospell, so go to a performance center and see what they say. you'll have to give some bloke 5-6 grand to build u a turbo engine and then some for the peripherals. really i think 6 grand would be stretching the budget that's why i think u should just get a turbo 6 from a BA and wind the boost up and have some fun.

Last edited by TX3VIL; 12-07-2009 at 05:58 PM.
TX3VIL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2009, 05:52 PM   #25
justa6
justa6

i stuffed up
Old 12-07-2009, 06:00 PM   #26
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX3VIL
i'm by no means an expert
I think you have made that quite clear.
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2009, 06:51 PM   #27
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

capa has on their site blower kits for the au at 240 kw stock motor , that would be flywheel kw`s , they would have picked a safe output rather than risk having customers return with expired motors, that sounds pretty reasonable figure for a stocker. http://www.capa.com.au/kits_ford_au_6cyl.htm
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2009, 08:55 PM   #28
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3man
Forget putting a turbo on the motor in it's current configuration. If you want a good driveable tubo motor you go back to the drawing board. Your current cam will be the main issue, along with cylinder pressure from your headwork. If you want to boost your present motor you have to look towards a supercharger. This will be your simplest and cheapest solution but you have to accept that you will be limited to about 7 to 8 psi for reliability which will get you probably no more than 200rwkW. The car will drive just like it does now - but will be sharper and quicker at all revs.

If you decide you want to go turbo, then expect to pay a minimum of $12k on building from scratch a reliable motor that will get you 300rwkW. This is about the most an AU chassis is safe for in road trim IMO.

EDIT ... PS, 200rwkW will get you sub 14 secs easily.
Thanks for the advice. I am already at sub 14 second bracket lol. I know the guys here are running 9 to 11 psi quite ok.At about 9 to 11 psi I would expect around 250 to 280 rwkws and mid 12 second pasess.

Old 12-07-2009, 09:26 PM   #29
Badcooky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
There you go.
Badcooky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2009, 10:46 PM   #30
TX3VIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthAu
I think you have made that quite clear.
Thanks for quoting my inapt garble, perhaps u could offer your expert opinion oh wise and mighty. Egocentric megalomaniacs such as yourself make it hard for the rest of the community to voice their opinons and enjoy the forums. Sorry for the hijack, but i was just as interested in the thread as anyone else, now i think i've lost faith in the australian ford community.
TX3VIL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post