Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 16-04-2020, 01:40 PM   #1681
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Re: Covid 19 -

It took a long time for the anti-smoking lobby to temper its approach. The present line of (paraphrased) “every time you don’t smoke is helping” conveys the same core message as ever without appearing heavy-handed. I’d be more comfortable with that sort of appeal to people in the current instance.

Shopping is madness here, I use Google to check the live data and make hit-run dashes when it’s quiet, rather than queue for 25 minutes with 50+ random people to simply get in the door then be crowded out in the aisles looking for stuff that’s been either sold out or copiously pawed over. I’ll take my more frequent <10 minute visits with reduced person count.

I now know of one person with CV; they are 80-odd, in ICU in a hospital on the American east coast. So far, so good - they are quite strong and active despite suffering dementia. Being flush is probably helping them too.
Old 16-04-2020, 01:46 PM   #1682
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
With one person in our household in the vulnerable category and both of us over 60 we are more than happy to comply with the requirements - indeed we are probably going above and beyond them for our own protection.

Nailed it.

We've taken a conservative approach whereby: (1) we're now not venturing out for food and groceries as we are having them home delivered; (2) the local medical practice are doing Webex consultations so that's another reason off the list and (3) almost everything else is on the not necessary list.
I'm pleased that people are accepting and compliant . So am I both accepting and compliant of the rules and won't be breaking any rules knowingly let me assure you . Doesn't mean to say we have to like them though. I'd find it really strange if I found anyone who literally likes being in lockdown and isn't concerned about whether they are being seen to breach any of these rules if they have no option but to go out . It's stressful . Bloody heck it is for me .
Old 16-04-2020, 01:47 PM   #1683
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post
Genuine question here Be honest ...How many of you feel somewhat violated by all this as we speak despite the good reasons for why it's happening.
Not in the least bit, and that is honest.

In fact, here in SA we don't even have the level of restrictions that you lot have, yet I haven't been any further than the local shops in over a month. My Wife asked me when was the last time I visited our main shopping precinct, I had to seriously think about it and said when I bought new pants for work, mid February.
I'll be honest, not working is driving me nuts, not because I cant get out but because our savings account isn't growing anymore.
I just spent the Easter weekend camping in my 2.5x6m backyard, normally i'd be up the river or in a forest somewhere.
It sucks, but it is what it is, just cop it on the chin and look forward to the finish line.

Bunnings has been my saviour, rather than focussing on the negatives I've looked for the positives and done anything I can around the place that i'd been meaning to do, the house is spotless everyday, washing done, dinner prepared, gardens manicured, I even bought an inside plant and fancy pot to fill a void in the Family room that the Wife had been complaining about for months.
2 users like this post:
Old 16-04-2020, 01:51 PM   #1684
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Would you rather be dead? Or be responsible for killing someone else?

Yes, that is a very extreme view, but it is a possibility.
This kind of rhetoric is pushed by the government and health agencies, but is without merit or foundation. Let's dissect this narrative for a moment, but not implication you personally;

I'm somehow responsible for another persons state of health?
I'm somehow responsible for their compromised immune system and their inability to look after themselves and not put themselves at risk?
I'm to suffer financially and emotionally to save someone else who's at risk?
I'm to blame if I go about my general business and they get sick and die?

Nope, not buying the argument for one moment. That attitude is symptomatic of 25 years of 'everyone gets a medal for participation' and not picking winners and losers. As an adult YOU have the RESPONSIBILITY to look after YOURSELF.

It's surprising just to see how many adult children we're living with in society.
5 users like this post:
Old 16-04-2020, 01:59 PM   #1685
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Not in the least bit, and that is honest.

In fact, here in SA we don't even have the level of restrictions that you lot have, yet I haven't been any further than the local shops in over a month. My Wife asked me when was the last time I visited our main shopping precinct, I had to seriously think about it and said when I bought new pants for work, mid February.
I'll be honest, not working is driving me nuts, not because I cant get out but because our savings account isn't growing anymore.
I just spent the Easter weekend camping in my 2.5x6m backyard, normally i'd be up the river or in a forest somewhere.
It sucks, but it is what it is, just cop it on the chin and look forward to the finish line.

Bunnings has been my saviour, rather than focussing on the negatives I've looked for the positives and done anything I can around the place that i'd been meaning to do, the house is spotless everyday, washing done, dinner prepared, gardens manicured, I even bought an inside plant and fancy pot to fill a void in the Family room that the Wife had been complaining about for months.
Good approach if it works for you...Pleased to read this .
Old 16-04-2020, 02:11 PM   #1686
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
This kind of rhetoric is pushed by the government and health agencies, but is without merit or foundation. Let's dissect this narrative for a moment, but not implication you personally;

I'm somehow responsible for their compromised immune system and their inability to look after themselves and not put themselves at risk?

Nope, not buying the argument for one moment. That attitude is symptomatic of 25 years of 'everyone gets a medal for participation' and not picking winners and losers. As an adult YOU have the RESPONSIBILITY to look after YOURSELF.

It's surprising just to see how many adult children we're living with in society.
So anyone who doesn't agree with your views is immature, nice.

I don't think anyone is saying they're responsible for any of those things, but if you have any empathy for another persons predicament be it self inflicted or otherwise, you'd be only too happy to do what you can.
My Wife works in aged care, I work with children, I don't even know the people she cares for, but that didn't stop me from taking time away from work to reduce mine, hers and in turn their, risk of exposure.
We weighed up the financial hit and felt it worthwhile, unfortunately many people didn't get that choice.

I'll pick and chose who I look after and you can keep your condescending tones to yourself.
Old 16-04-2020, 02:18 PM   #1687
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So anyone who doesn't agree with your views is immature, nice.

I don't think anyone is saying they're responsible for any of those things, but if you have any empathy for another persons predicament be it self inflicted or otherwise, you'd be only too happy to do what you can.
My Wife works in aged care, I work with children, I don't even know the people she cares for, but that didn't stop me from taking time away from work to reduce mine, hers and in turn their, risk of exposure.
We weighed up the financial hit and felt it worthwhile, unfortunately many people didn't get that choice.

I'll pick and chose who I look after and you can keep your condescending tones to yourself.

You are absolutely entitled to your opinion, as am I. You are also not required to respond if I use words or have a position that hurts you or your feelings.

I’ll continue to say not everyone is believing this man made media induced panic demic.
This user likes this post:
Old 16-04-2020, 02:22 PM   #1688
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
You are absolutely entitled to your opinion, as am I. You are also not required to respond if I use words or have a position that hurts you or your feelings.

I’ll continue to say not everyone is believing this man made media induced panic demic.
Yeah, im fairly sure we know your angle, you've regurgitated it time and time again, its the notion that those who don't agree are somehow below you that undermines anything you have worth reading.
Old 16-04-2020, 02:51 PM   #1689
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
If you pass on an infectious disease.

I think it speaks volumes to your character that you don't feel you have anything approaching social responsibility to those around you.

Quote:
Ironic comment considering your childish stance. Get back to us when you learn to adult....
Old 16-04-2020, 02:58 PM   #1690
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Yes you are entitled to your opinion.

The counter argument is being responsible in this situation for a nation is a heavy moral burden for those in leadership.

We are talking about a very unusual virus that has spliced in elements of HIV and SARS that has resulted in a Covid virus that can easily penetrate a human cell- a first EVER.

It does this (My PHD Biochemistry brothers explanation- he makes pharmaceutical drugs )- the insertion of the exact HIV gene sequences into Covid 19 for the coding expression of GP 41 into the viral protein envelope, enables its binding to the human cell membrane surface receptors and to be thereby internalized and deliver the RNA cargo into the human cell.

The human cell machinery is then instructed by the viral content to produce more virus, and replication of the virus in the cell ensues until the cell death and the release of the viral load into the human body.

Now a healthy human or a human with an immune system optimised to deal with stuff like tuberculosis and having such antibodies will be fine. But a human with a sensitised immune response to lung infections (old people with history of lots of lung infections in past) will likely have a situation where their body immune system is oversensitised and its this over response by a persons immune system to Covid 19 that is the killer.

What doctors in casualty in New York have said is that it is best to try to get better is at home so as to keep the dosages you are exposed to of Covid 19 into you low. Only go to hospital if you need intubation/ventilators etc.

There appears to be a connection between exposure to high dosages of covid 19 and a poor outcome in a person- as is being seen in New York Hospitals. This also explains the doctors and nurses of young age/good health dying- because they are exposed to very very high dosages of the nasty in their work environment.

Now Romulus, your hands off business as usual approach based on the Epidemiology modelling shows that the hospitals will be inundated with sick covid 19 victims- creating a further hotbed of the nasties and higher death rates.

The modelling of death rates - on business as usual and doing nothing is something no civilized western government nor society should countenance.

We are not Communist Russia under Stalin! (Ok- that is not Godswins law- must be another one for Stalin).

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
5 users like this post:
Old 16-04-2020, 03:29 PM   #1691
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I read a letter sent into the paper today that made a good point. If hairdressers are allowed to operate, and hence be considered an essential business, then tell me how going to get a haircut is essential travel? When they say there are only 4 reasons to leave the house, work, education, food, exercise.

A haircut fits none of those 4 criteria. No wonder everyones so bloody confused about what you can and can't do.
3 users like this post:
Old 16-04-2020, 03:45 PM   #1692
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
I read a letter sent into the paper today that made a good point. If hairdressers are allowed to operate, and hence be considered an essential business, then tell me how going to get a haircut is essential travel? When they say there are only 4 reasons to leave the house, work, education, food, exercise.

A haircut fits none of those 4 criteria. No wonder everyones so bloody confused about what you can and can't do.
Agree with the mixed messages... but at least were are partly open for business in Australia. I'd rather this than full lockdown like in NZ... and to my mind the results here are pretty good in comparison to NZ.
Old 16-04-2020, 03:48 PM   #1693
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post

I think it speaks volumes to your character that you don't feel you have anything approaching social responsibility to those around you.
An old English saying comes to mind... "I'm All Right Jack"
Old 16-04-2020, 03:53 PM   #1694
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:

Get your haircut at a hairdressers in a shopping complex whilst you're there for shopping needs, simple really.
It's not like they're going to follow you around the shops to make sure you're not just getting a haircut.
Old 16-04-2020, 04:17 PM   #1695
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Get your haircut at a hairdressers in a shopping complex whilst you're there for shopping needs, simple really.
It's not like they're going to follow you around the shops to make sure you're not just getting a haircut.
nah, but google and facebook will
Old 16-04-2020, 04:20 PM   #1696
hayseed

Quote:

Given the amount of "Contact" involved in getting Your hair Done.
I'm Gobsmacked that It's Deemed essential.. SCOMO (or whomever made the call) must've wanted to keep SWMBO onside..
Old 16-04-2020, 04:24 PM   #1697
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
Given the amount of "Contact" involved in getting Your hair Done.
I'm Gobsmacked that It's Deemed essential.. SCOMO (or whomever made the call) must've wanted to keep SWMBO onside..
Have you ever seen a bottle blond with regrowth???

It's essential
Old 16-04-2020, 04:46 PM   #1698
guzzis3
AU3 ute EL futura

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
no police officer on the planet would fine Franco's sister if she waited around somewhere for her second appointment, given the logistics involved.
You obviously don't live in queensland, or victoria. Revenue trumps everything.

You apologists are missing the point.

1. Some of the examples which concern me are things people NEED to do, like trying to make a quid when you got no job anymore and don't get the free money from the government. There is no mechanism for clarification so you are totally at the mercy of the cop in the moment. They have never been reasonable before, why would they start now? And as for taking the ticket to court...seriously ?

2. If you antagonize the population a percentage will give you the finger and as soon as the cops are gone they will go out of their way to disobey. According to some of the modelling when that hits 30% the distancing becomes useless. Then I get virus and die. Your grandmother gets virus and dies. Your sick kid gets virus and dies. So what do you want ? To get up on your soapbox and say the government is doing it's best just comply ? No one listens and people die ? Or do you wake up to yourself face reality and FIX THE SITUATION. The lockdown didn't have to be perfect first up, but as problems emerge they have to address them. They aren't at all up here. And for good measure our fearless leaders are moving to destroy the real estate market in qld, just to make sure EVERYONE knows what imbeciles they are.

Most of the stupidity doesn't affect me personally, but it's p'ing off an awful lot of people and when it hits the fan having your head in the sand won't save anyone.
Old 16-04-2020, 04:53 PM   #1699
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post

It's essential
Touche`
Old 16-04-2020, 04:54 PM   #1700
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post

It's essential
Yeah I always wondered why so many “blondes” went to the trouble of dyeing their hair roots dark!!
6 users like this post:
Old 16-04-2020, 05:00 PM   #1701
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
An old English saying comes to mind... "I'm All Right Jack"
I always thought it was " F##k you Jack, I'm all right"............
3 users like this post:
Old 16-04-2020, 05:08 PM   #1702
prydey
Rob

Quote:

And if you are asymptomatic, what then?

For someone claiming to be the smartest guy in the room you seem to struggle with simple concepts.
Old 16-04-2020, 05:09 PM   #1703
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs View Post
I always thought it was " F##k you Jack, I'm all right"............
Due to the sensitive nature of most posters in here I was being polite.
Old 16-04-2020, 05:11 PM   #1704
prydey
Rob

Quote:

Not everyone is out of work. There are plenty of people still working where personal grooming is important to their job.

Even if not working, we aren't expected to all look like Robinson Crusoe.

As mentioned earlier, stop looking for loopholes and issues.
Old 16-04-2020, 05:15 PM   #1705
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai View Post
Yes you are entitled to your opinion.

The counter argument is being responsible in this situation for a nation is a heavy moral burden for those in leadership.

We are talking about a very unusual virus that has spliced in elements of HIV and SARS that has resulted in a Covid virus that can easily penetrate a human cell- a first EVER.

It does this (My PHD Biochemistry brothers explanation- he makes pharmaceutical drugs )- the insertion of the exact HIV gene sequences into Covid 19 for the coding expression of GP 41 into the viral protein envelope, enables its binding to the human cell membrane surface receptors and to be thereby internalized and deliver the RNA cargo into the human cell.

The human cell machinery is then instructed by the viral content to produce more virus, and replication of the virus in the cell ensues until the cell death and the release of the viral load into the human body.

Now a healthy human or a human with an immune system optimised to deal with stuff like tuberculosis and having such antibodies will be fine. But a human with a sensitised immune response to lung infections (old people with history of lots of lung infections in past) will likely have a situation where their body immune system is oversensitised and its this over response by a persons immune system to Covid 19 that is the killer.

What doctors in casualty in New York have said is that it is best to try to get better is at home so as to keep the dosages you are exposed to of Covid 19 into you low. Only go to hospital if you need intubation/ventilators etc.

There appears to be a connection between exposure to high dosages of covid 19 and a poor outcome in a person- as is being seen in New York Hospitals. This also explains the doctors and nurses of young age/good health dying- because they are exposed to very very high dosages of the nasty in their work environment.

Now Romulus, your hands off business as usual approach based on the Epidemiology modelling shows that the hospitals will be inundated with sick covid 19 victims- creating a further hotbed of the nasties and higher death rates.

The modelling of death rates - on business as usual and doing nothing is something no civilized western government nor society should countenance.

We are not Communist Russia under Stalin! (Ok- that is not Godswins law- must be another one for Stalin).
Do you PhD brothers understand the immune system? They may find this interview interesting, around hour 15 minutes long from MIT PhD Biologic Systems Dr Shiva. This chap is far from a David Icke or other conspiracy theorists. Jump in from around the 12 minute mark.

Prydey, you'd probably learn an awful lot from this interview

It addresses some of the misinformation in your post and how immune compromised people can deal with Covid-19.

Old 16-04-2020, 05:20 PM   #1706
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Do you PhD brothers understand the immune system? They may find this interview interesting, around hour 15 minutes long from MIT PhD Biologic Systems Dr Shiva. This chap is far from a David Icke or other conspiracy theorists. Jump in from around the 12 minute mark.

It addresses some of the misinformation in your post and how immune compromised people can deal with Covid-19.

Is this the same guy?

Quote:
During the 2019–20 coronavirus pandemic Ayyadurai used social media to spread various conspiracy theories and misinformation about the pandemic. In January 2020 he claimed that the coronavirus was patented by the Pirbright Institute, but the patent he referenced relates to avian coronavirus, which infects birds, not SARS-CoV-2, the virus responsible for the pandemic.[47]

He alleged that the coronavirus was spread by the "deep state" and accused Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, of being a "Deep State Plant". Ayyadurai called for Fauci to be fired.[48]

In March 2020 he published an open letter to president Donald Trump where he wrote that a national lockdown was unnecessary and advocated that large doses of vitamins could prevent and cure the disease.[49][50]

In April 2020, Politico and Vanity Fair reported that QAnon supporter DeAnna Lorraine has recommended that Dr. Shiva be included in coronavirus discussions at Donald Trump's White House
Old 16-04-2020, 05:24 PM   #1707
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post

Ironic comment considering your childish stance. Get back to us when you learn to adult....
This..... is fear mongering. Which one of the trillions of viruses that we live with will I pass on? Oh wait.....you mentioned disease. Tell me, how do you pass on a disease?
Old 16-04-2020, 05:26 PM   #1708
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus

In a community, yes, you do have a responsibility to not deliberately endanger others by your actions and to do whatever is within your power to protect the weaker members of society. It's what differentiates civilised societies from the animal kingdom but clearly that concept is beyond your grasp.

You aren't being picked on personally by this - the measures that have been put in place are there to protect our way of life and society as a whole and we are all in the same boat here.

I didn't grow up in the 'participation medal' era - I grew up in one where we gave up a bus seat for the elderly or pregnant; looked after the elderly in our community and defended the weak and poor.

Your selfish; 'me first' mantrra is more evidence of the breakdown in societal values and the only thing I am thankful for is that you don't live near me.

You may well be entitled to an opinion but it's one I find a disgusting example of humanity.

Feel free to bite back - I'll enjoy giving you a holiday.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 16-04-2020, 05:29 PM   #1709
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:

[YT]HBUthoYiBQA[/YT
After seeing the vid (with a couple of his books coincidentally facing outwards in camera range) I looked him up and he's a clever boy.

Written a couple of books, claimed to have invented Email and (according to Wiki) used social media to spread various conspiracy theories and misinformation about the pandemic.
Old 16-04-2020, 05:44 PM   #1710
BAWITHLOT
XB COUPE TOO!

I guess some people here don't have any elderly parents or want to have any.

The good thing is that eventually the police that are enforcing the law will get to taze those that don't want to follow the rules. I just hope I am there to watch as I think it is hilarious to watch idiots get tazed!
Closed Thread