Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 23-12-2006, 05:31 PM   #1
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Frightening Afternoon.

Yesterday at around 3.30 pm whilst doing deliveries i had a very eventful 40 or so minutes.
Firstly travelling along Maroondah hwy city bound, stopped at the lights at Deep creek rd it was very windy, a car had just passed me travelling in the opposite direction when this large dead tree blew over blocking the 3 outbound lanes.
Fortunately the next lot of traffic had been stopped at the lights so no damage to any one, travelling along Mitcham rd toward Donvale, i passed a church or hall and saw people standing around what was left of the flagpole, it had snapped off just above the base.

Thirdly, still heading towards Donvale, just after Park rd where the road crosses over the Eastern fwy extension i saw smoke and large flames, i quickly got onto 000 to call the fire brigade whilst switching on the hazard lights to do a u turn.
After i was initially connected by the operator the phone rang and rang, i would estimate about 30 rings with the operator cutting in twice and telling me it "should not be too much longer", i thought this is an emergency ffs.
After finally pulling up and grabbing my phone and giving location details, i cannot work out why they have to repeatedly ask for the nearest intersection as i had explained quite clearly where it was.

As i ran to fire which was just off the footpath, the residents were using buckets of water to try and extinguish the flames. I yelled out if there was a hose anywhere and was told there was'nt one long enough, (these residents were from houses 2 or 3 doors up), so i turned around to the closest house and jumped the fence (not thinking at the time about the possibility of an angry dog!) found a hose and threw it over the fence and turned it on.
At this point the fire had taken to the timber sound barrier and the flames were about 10-12 feet high, whilst we had water the hose just was'nt quite long enough to be fully effective, apart from that, with about 5 of us working together we had it contained just as 2 fire trucks arrived.
The local residents were very grateful for the help, i just said to them that if i was in the same situation that i would like someone to do the same for me, but the best feeling was being told by the fire brigade controller of what a great job we had done.
I then left, wet,sweaty, eyes watery and smelling of smoke. I now know what our fire fighters have to put up with, and i was only there for approx 20 min.

Last edited by Pinkbits; 23-12-2006 at 05:45 PM.
Pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2006, 05:36 PM   #2
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Santa turned into a firefighter???

It was an amazing turn of weather events yesterday, i started work yesterday at 6am, it was 30 degrees C, finished work at 2 and it was 24 degrees C! Shocking wind yesterday, and greasy roads, not a good combo...
Melz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2006, 05:38 PM   #3
rodderz

This can be a dangerous time of year for camping near large trees too

With so long inbetween rains the large trees can dry out and the fibres within the timber weaken, then when it rains the weight causes it to snap. It happened a few years back with some school kids getting killed up near the Murray
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2006, 05:48 PM   #4
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Guess who the horto-expert is ^^^^^^ hehehehe
Melz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2006, 05:54 PM   #5
Dark Horse
_Oo===oO_

Excellent stuff. Sounds like what you effectively did was provide a level of boundary cooling, which would've assisted the firies greatly in putting the rest of the fire out.
Old 23-12-2006, 08:30 PM   #6
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

Nice work Bloke , Your just a Jack of All Trades arent you <<<

Santas Bi7ch , Carpenter, Detailers , Driver , Gardener.....

AU2PWR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2006, 02:33 AM   #7
prydey
Rob

the way that 000 call went down your probably lucky it wasn't a house or something going up.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2006, 07:41 AM   #8
hilly1981

Well done champ!
Old 24-12-2006, 10:57 AM   #9
crossingover

Well done bud,The world needs more blokes like you,And damn yeah you should be proud of yourself.
Old 24-12-2006, 11:14 AM   #10
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossingover
Well done bud,The world needs more blokes like you,And damn yeah you should be proud of yourself.

Couldnt have said it better myself.. your a legend mate.
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2006, 11:20 AM   #11
chief
FTF Club Moderator

Well done, pat yourself on the back. It was your initiative to get the hose that helped save the house. Go have a beer. Well done!!

Falcon Tickford FPV (FTF) Car Club of NSW

Fords in the Park 2010

I use and recommend Stingray Car Security.
http://www.stingraycar.com.au/
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2006, 12:19 PM   #12
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well done your a trooper!

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post