Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 10-05-2011, 04:35 AM   #1
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default No oil change at 3,000 km service

Just took my TDCi in for it's 3,000 km service. Only took about 20 minutes as it's just to check oil levels etc. But I'm wondering whether or not it's a good idea to change the oil about now. Any thoughts?

Old 10-05-2011, 08:42 AM   #2
DeKa

Default Re: No oil change at 3,000 km service

It's a Peugeot engine and I know they run the oil through till the first service at 20000km/12 months.
http://www.peugeot.com.au/media/deli...299-d0f042.pdf

Of course, there is no harm in changing it, and it can only be good.
DeKa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2011, 11:16 AM   #3
Kryton

As above, it cant hurt changing it.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2011, 11:29 AM   #4
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Isn't the oil in the TDCi a synthetic oil and should last longer! and it is more expensive as seen on my bill than normal oil

apstar
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2011, 01:24 PM   #5
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by apstar
Isn't the oil in the TDCi a synthetic oil and should last longer! and it is more expensive as seen on my bill than normal oil

apstar
Yes, it's a Castrol 5W-30 specifically for Euro Ford engines. Which is another issue, as it's not a retail product so I'm not sure how to source it apart from through a Ford dealer.

Castrol actually recommend Edge 0W-40 in their lube guide for the Mondeo, which is about $80 for 5 litres!
Old 10-05-2011, 07:15 PM   #6
DeKa

You can buy the Peugeot-specified oil (Total Quartz INEO ECS 5W-30) for about $75 at Peugeot dealer parts departments in a 5L bottle. That is what I'd be buying!
Old 10-05-2011, 07:44 PM   #7
Dusty1
Giddy up!

What happens if it need a top up between services?
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2011, 09:30 PM   #8
Mickmelb

I'm impressed with the 20 minutes. I dropped mine off for the 3k service at 7:30am and it wasn't ready till after 3pm. I knew it was going to take a while when I told them the blind spot indicator wasn't working on the drivers side and he said "oh you mean the reversing alarm" they test drove it for over 20kms and had to wait for Ford to tell them how to fix it. But a new control module and its all good now. Having said that if I owned the car I would probably do an oil change on it at the 3k.
Mickmelb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2011, 04:46 AM   #9
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKa
You can buy the Peugeot-specified oil (Total Quartz INEO ECS 5W-30) for about $75 at Peugeot dealer parts departments in a 5L bottle. That is what I'd be buying!
Thanks, there's a Peugot dealer 10 minutes away. Could probably get the filter there as well!

I think I will change it, will give me a chance to figure out how to raise the front of the car without a hoist.
Old 11-05-2011, 04:52 AM   #10
Zero_PSI
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickmelb
I'm impressed with the 20 minutes. I dropped mine off for the 3k service at 7:30am and it wasn't ready till after 3pm. I knew it was going to take a while when I told them the blind spot indicator wasn't working on the drivers side and he said "oh you mean the reversing alarm" they test drove it for over 20kms and had to wait for Ford to tell them how to fix it. But a new control module and its all good now. Having said that if I owned the car I would probably do an oil change on it at the 3k.
Meh, the guy that did Anthony's exhaust took about 10 billion hours.

When we rocked up 2 hours later than the pick up time he was **** farting around in his office.

He did a top job though.
Zero_PSI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2011, 07:23 AM   #11
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickmelb
There was nothing wrong with mine, not even any noises from the interior trim. Of course, it's the base model so doesn't even have the fancy gizmos like the Titanium. They said if I came in just before 8, they'd have it done in 30 minutes.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:09 AM   #12
DeKa

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ XR6
Thanks, there's a Peugot dealer 10 minutes away. Could probably get the filter there as well!

I think I will change it, will give me a chance to figure out how to raise the front of the car without a hoist.
I just realised you're in NZ... so not sure on the price there. It was around $75 (I remember being surprised it was cheaper than Mobil 1).
Old 11-05-2011, 05:19 PM   #13
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well, my quest for the correct oil to use in my car has become a real drama. There is almost nothing available that meets the Ford spec (WSSM2C 913 C). The Total oil that Deka recommended isn't approved for Ford use despite it being specified by Peugeot and Citreon for the same engine when fitted to their cars!

I'll phone Castrol tomorrow and see if there's a way that I can buy their oil, although I doubt that it comes in anything smaller than a drum. Otherwise I might have to ask my Ford dealer to change it or just use the Total oil anyway, which is actually designed for diesel engines with particulate filters and so should be a better choice.
Old 12-05-2011, 02:37 PM   #14
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ XR6
Well, my quest for the correct oil to use in my car has become a real drama. There is almost nothing available that meets the Ford spec (WSSM2C 913 C). The Total oil that Deka recommended isn't approved for Ford use despite it being specified by Peugeot and Citreon for the same engine when fitted to their cars!

I'll phone Castrol tomorrow and see if there's a way that I can buy their oil, although I doubt that it comes in anything smaller than a drum. Otherwise I might have to ask my Ford dealer to change it or just use the Total oil anyway, which is actually designed for diesel engines with particulate filters and so should be a better choice.
Hi NZ,

I would not put any "non approved by Ford" lubricant into the engine until after the warranty had expired, as a simple test would give Ford an opportunity to crawl out of a warranty claim.

I have to say that having the servicing done by a dealer at the approved intervals seems to have paid dividends for us, as we have never had a problem with warranty claims on our cars. The most recent was the "Oil service required" message as the Mondeo went through 20,000 km (Given the Euro cars with same engine have a 20,000 interval is interesting ) and the dealership responded with a "Bring it in and we will change the oil at no charge" which they did.

Will be interesting to see if the same thing happens at 40,000 km.

Cheers

Our Drive: Mondeo
MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

AlanD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2011, 10:59 AM   #15
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The "Oil service required" is usually caused by contamination of the oil with diesel following unsuccessful DPF regeneration cycles. Your dealer did the right thing - the Ford service bulletin regarding this issue says to change the oil if this service message is displayed. If you're interested, there are many posts about this in the TalkFord forums: http://www.talkford.com/

The Australian Castrol website actually recommends Edge 0W-40 for the Mondeo which is not Ford approved, not 5W-30 and doesn't even meet ACEA A5/B5 as specified in the handbook! But it does meet the C2 requirement for SAPS content to protect the DPF and catalytic converter.