Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-03-2012, 11:19 PM   #1
Buntz
Straight Eight

Default What could be worse?

I love cars. I was raised a Ford man by my old man. But... there are marques out there of purity that have been consigned to history. And I hold it dear to my heart. I speak of the Auburn, Cord, Duesenberg Motor Company.

Sometimes I fantasise about being a wealthy billionaire who brings these once fantastic cars back to life. But it appears my dreams are shared by others who have money and inclination. And such is over the years... attempts have been made, and have failed to do just so. Checking the Duesenberg page of wikipedia, I was surprised to see a new entry there regarding it's revival history. The company is a small outfit who make replica's or what they like to call "reproductions". And it seems that these endeavours won't be holding to what made Duesenberg so awesome. That straight-eight engine. Observe:

Quote:
In 2011 a new company with worldwide trademark rights[34] was formed as Duesenberg Motors Inc. Statements made claim that the new luxury automobile design and development will be done in 2 years and will offer American made luxury that will exceed Rolls Royce.

The president of the new company is Dave Hartje. Engineering is being done in Germany and design work by Jeff Teague, Chief Design Director for the company and son of the renowned Industrial Designer, Richard A. Teague. The new Duesenberg vehicles will be offered for sale in the US, EU, and Asia. A new company website will debut 2012.

A 162,000 sq. ft. factory was purchased in Baldwin, WI in January, 2012 with the intention of gearing up production and offering for sale a newly engineered Duesenberg II Murphy Roadster by late summer 2012
To me this worse than Falcon being consigned to history... and this may puzzle you. But it seems that they plans to make this car using someone else's engine. The company even have a website peddling clothing with Deusenberg embossed on it, and some model cars. And the new car is being designed by some bloke who apparently did a taurus, mercury equiv, and the 1984 Lincoln continental to name a few. All rather dreary cars. Here's a link to the concept. Doesn't look like a Deusenberg. Looks like a Morgan. This particular model is said to have a V-12 of Mercedes origin. Instead of a modernizing of the venerable 7.0L straight eight with DOHC's, and 4 valves per cylinder on the production cars from 1927 onwards.

This is a Duesenberg: This particular model was the most expensive car in it's time. A car so massive, powerful, and luxurious. Those who owned and drove them must have ruled kingdoms, and slept with twenty glamour models a night.... at least!

Check out their other great website

But seriously. It feels like a project half-arsed... with the financial backing of a company setting out to make the finest box trailers. This may seem harsh, and unsporting... but I hope it never comes to fruition, because if they do make Deusenberg... it can be none other than the finest automobile. The epitome of motoring enthusiasm.

So what do you think? Am I being an over-sensitive ****? Or to make a something based on a legend, that doesn't match the legend status... just cheapen the legend?

Old 16-03-2012, 11:23 PM   #2
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: What could be worse?

Looks more like a Douchenburg
falconnut is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2012, 11:33 PM   #3
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Reminds me a little of a Morgan Aeromax
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2012, 11:56 PM   #4
Buntz
Straight Eight

How the hell do you improve upon perfection?

Old 17-03-2012, 12:19 AM   #5
79FordEsky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have a look at a Mercedes 540K.Best looking vintage car.

My Survivor 1 owner XC Wagon
Check it Out
79FordEsky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2012, 12:36 AM   #6
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buntz93ED
That looks like something some moron has done on MS Paint.

Hey Buntz want to see a real ye old worlde car with balls? Google 'Napier Samson' and see what you get...

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2012, 07:19 PM   #7
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
That looks like something some moron has done on MS Paint.

Hey Buntz want to see a real ye old worlde car with balls? Google 'Napier Samson' and see what you get...
It's sacrilege is what it is. Deusenberg was the finest motor of it's time. And the fastest. 120mph production car in 1927. That what 225kmh? wowza.

And if you wanna see some ye olde cars with balls. Check out Jay Leno's 1915 Hispano Suiza. Suiza also designed aeroplane engines. So Leno dropped in the 18.5L V8 aero engine. That car is a beast.

Leno is also a Deusenberg fanatic. And I've seen about every movie on his site. What a bloke Leno is. I'd mop the floors for minimum wage I reckon.
Old 19-03-2012, 08:39 PM   #8
EL97
Former owner, still a fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79FordEsky
Have a look at a Mercedes 540K.Best looking vintage car.
+1
EL97 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2012, 01:02 AM   #9
cowboy
Cowboy

Some of the old Maybachs were hard to beat, Delage made some stunning cars but the Auburn boattails take the cake for me.
1930 Pontiac Landaulet
1932 Pontiac V8 sedan
1935 Pontiac sedan
1937 Pontiac 8 sedan
1948 Pontiac silver streak
1949 Ford F3 pickup
1953 Pontiac Chieftain
1955 Austin Champ
1957 Dodge Power Wagon
1967 Jeep Gladiator
1975 TD Cortina
1978 F100 4x4
2006 GU Patrol ute
cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2012, 03:06 AM   #10
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

James Hetfield commisioned Rick Dore to build him a Auburn Speedster...one of the sexeist customs i've seen...only Dore could do this...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2012, 10:14 PM   #11
Buntz
Straight Eight

Those of you who love Auburn 800 series boattail speedsters are friends of mine.
Old 25-03-2012, 10:19 PM   #12
cowboy
Cowboy

We are friends then, now if I could only afford one.

My current fascination is with the American LaFrance speedsters from the teens. I'm searching for bits to build a loose replica, have a chassis and radiator/surround but am struggling to find a suitably ridiculous engine.
1930 Pontiac Landaulet
1932 Pontiac V8 sedan
1935 Pontiac sedan
1937 Pontiac 8 sedan
1948 Pontiac silver streak
1949 Ford F3 pickup
1953 Pontiac Chieftain
1955 Austin Champ
1957 Dodge Power Wagon
1967 Jeep Gladiator
1975 TD Cortina
1978 F100 4x4
2006 GU Patrol ute
cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2012, 10:27 PM   #13
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy
We are friends then, now if I could only afford one.

My current fascination is with the American LaFrance speedsters from the teens. I'm searching for bits to build a loose replica, have a chassis and radiator/surround but am struggling to find a suitably ridiculous engine.
Are you doing a built thread for it?

It is my wish as well to build own car styled from that kind of era. Maybe with an actual boat for the back end.

And as regards motors. Keep it classic inline six. Go and grab a b-f series falcon straight six. Hell do one of those destroked jobbies. one of those motors you can grab second hand in the 600 dollar range... and it's classic. And they're as common as.. including parts.