Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 28-10-2011, 10:22 AM   #1
ozdealer
Starter Motor

Default Mondeo LX 2.3l owners - feedback requested

Hi,

I'm after some feedback from owners of the LX 2.3L Duratec model.

I am about to order a new work vehicle, and with the budget I have, I have 2 options for a Mondeo. I want to go with the Mondeo over the Mazda 6 due to the extra space available.

The local Ford dealers only have the diesel LX on the floor which I have test driven, however I haven't had the option of testing the old petrol engine model.

so..my options are

1. Modeo LX hatch diesel - just squeezes into the budget with NO extras
2. Modeo LX wagon 2.3L petrol - is in the budget, and I can get a few extra's like mags, tow bar etc.

My question is..what is the old Duratec petrol engine like? i keep reading mixed reviews and I don't want to get it if it's going to be underpowered and struggle under load

Can anyone give me some personal experiences or thoughts on my options and the engine performance?

Cheers

ozdealer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2011, 08:01 PM   #2
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Mondeo LX 2.3l owners - feedback requested

It's underpowered and will struggle under load...

Seriously, I've owned both and there's little difference in outright performance. BUT you have to rev the 2.3 to get any performance out of it, which you can do using the Tiptronic. And if you drive it like that, the fuel consumption is not good.

I would strongly recommend the diesel.

The only downside is the diesel is definitely noisier around town. But over about 80 km/h it's very quiet and smooth.
Old 30-10-2011, 07:34 AM   #3
yelpir

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozdealer
Hi,

My question is..what is the old Duratec petrol engine like? i keep reading mixed reviews and I don't want to get it if it's going to be underpowered and struggle under load

Can anyone give me some personal experiences or thoughts on my options and the engine performance?

Cheers
I drive a 2.3 duratec petrol and find it adequate for my needs. We're just a family of 3 (for now) and power has never been an issue with me (perhaps because I have been driving 4 cylinders 1.8-2.0 l cars most of my life prior to this). We rarely have the car full and so can't comment on when it is under full load. The tiptronic helps a lot and I tend to use it a fair bit for the fun and on the high way the sport mode works a treat (especially for quick overtaking).

Having said this, I would go for a diesel purely because the torque will help you with the load.The paltry torque (208 vs 320 in the diesel) in the 2.3 is high up the rev (and although the car will rev cleanly), regular visits will hurt the economy.

Why don't you get the diesel now and perhaps later get the mags e.t.c that you want?
yelpir is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2011, 10:44 AM   #4
ozdealer
Starter Motor

doh..such a hard choice :(
Old 30-10-2011, 02:34 PM   #5
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

208 Nm in the petrol. I think this says it all. Unless you want to feel like you're driving a Commodore (with better steering) all day, go the diesel.
Edit: The Mondeo is also a better steer than the Mazda 6, but you can also get the Mazda 6 in manual. I wouldn't buy either, to be honest.
4.0i OHC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2011, 04:27 PM   #6
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Forgot to mention that the diesel handles better. With the extra weight on the front and the torque, it feels amazing through medium to fast corners. Like any big car, tight corners are not it's strength.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:04 AM   #7
ozdealer
Starter Motor

thanks for the feedback..looks like I will just go with the mazda 6 over the mondeo..
Old 02-11-2011, 12:54 PM   #8
XtRmn8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Done over 100000kms on our 2.3L Zetec sedan now. Most of that is freeway driving to and from work each day. Yes the car could do with more power for overtaking and towing but it is still not as bad as above comments suggest.

I have done a bit of towing as well but nothing to heavy. I tow a jetski on a regular basis and total weight is about 550-600kg.

Fuel economy is good for its size, we average 8.5L/100km with a 70/30 highway/city commute. The only issue with the 2.3L is that it does not like 91RON ULP fuel so to get optimum economy and performance minimum of 95RON is required.

Overall I think they are a good car and I would not write it off without a test-drive. Back in early 08 when we bought the car we compared it to Mazda 6 and Subaru Liberty and felt the Monedo was the best out of the 3. No regrets because it is a bloody comfortable car to drive on long commutes.
XtRmn8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2011, 05:39 PM   #9
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I drove a Mazda 6 when I was deciding which wagon to get. Very nice car to drive, and I thought it was the right car for me until I drove over a patch of chip seal. I just could not believe how much tyre roar was transmitted into the cabin.

I'd suggest arranging for test drives of the cars on your short list over a loop of typical driving conditions for you. And don't let the salesman come with you if at all possible...
Old 23-01-2012, 01:51 PM   #10
ADunn
Starter Motor

I've had a 2.3l LX Wagon for nearly 2 years. I find it sufficient for what I need. I had a 2.2l Camry wagon before that which really did struggle. The big difference between the two is the transmission. With the six speed, overtaking, whether carrying a full load or not I find to be fine. Fuel economy on the highway gets down to 8l/100km or just below, but my daily commute sees me commonly getting average speeds of between 20 and 24 km/h which corresponds to 14 - 12.5l/100km, so it can certainly drink in urban conditions...
ADunn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post