Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-07-2020, 10:39 PM   #331
MercuryT
Banned

Default Re: KIA - Would you buy one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeLePew View Post
My brother ticked that box for the 'optional' exhaust. It's a compromise of course, but a well considered one. Sounds excellent. Probably what the car if only enthusiast aimed should've had in the first place.
I think excellent is a stretch.

Better yes.
MercuryT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2020, 01:22 PM   #332
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercuryT View Post
I think excellent is a stretch.

Better yes.
Excellent in context...manufacturer tick a box option on a TT V6 that sounds decent, is legal while can't please everyone, avoids true aftermarket parts on a brand new car and risk of getting something that sounds complete crap. God the whole exhaust selection thing is so laden with traps and hit and miss, I've thrown too much cash at exhausts on too many cars it's tiresome. Excellent safe option for the tick a box bald old fella thats my brother

Kia AU have done ok to offer the option, won't cut it for those that like em raucous .

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 27-07-2020, 02:47 PM   #333
boss351290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeLePew View Post
Excellent in context...manufacturer tick a box option on a TT V6 that sounds decent, is legal while can't please everyone, avoids true aftermarket parts on a brand new car and risk of getting something that sounds complete crap. God the whole exhaust selection thing is so laden with traps and hit and miss, I've thrown too much cash at exhausts on too many cars it's tiresome. Excellent safe option for the tick a box bald old fella thats my brother

Kia AU have done ok to offer the option, won't cut it for those that like em raucous .
I agree how many after market parts will for warrAnt. They don’t even want to warrant there own mudflaps
boss351290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2020, 02:50 PM   #334
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss351290 View Post
I agree how many after market parts will for warrAnt. They don’t even want to warrant there own mudflaps
Please translate
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-07-2020, 11:39 AM   #335
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Having owned a Mustang Ecoboost and now a GT (both manual) I'd 100% consider a Stinger. I've driven one quite a few times and its brilliant, it feels like what the next gen XR6T would have been most likely.

Those who say they would never need to go drive one and take of their blinkers.
barra240t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 30-07-2020, 12:00 PM   #336
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by barra240t View Post
Having owned a Mustang Ecoboost and now a GT (both manual) I'd 100% consider a Stinger. I've driven one quite a few times and its brilliant, it feels like what the next gen XR6T would have been most likely.

Not sure if I mentioned this already but for me the Stinger felt like an excellent daily driver. Oodles of power and tech.. but felt to me like I wouldn't be as proud to take it out on a weekend as I would about a Mustang or other v8 options etc.

I also felt the Stinger to be a little small in the interior for what it was up against but that's probably a personal matter rather than a general knock on the car.
This user likes this post:
Old 30-07-2020, 12:32 PM   #337
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poetic Justice View Post
Not sure if I mentioned this already but for me the Stinger felt like an excellent daily driver. Oodles of power and tech.. but felt to me like I wouldn't be as proud to take it out on a weekend as I would about a Mustang or other v8 options etc.

I also felt the Stinger to be a little small in the interior for what it was up against but that's probably a personal matter rather than a general knock on the car.
Thats because the Mustang has decades of history and heritage. Everyone knows its stature on the road (ignoring footage of mustangs running over crowds). A Stinger while its an amazing ride and has all the modern tech and power to boot, doesn't have the same pedigree a Mustang has generated over a long period of time.

One thing I have found is its hard to shake off previous reputations even when brands were in its infancy. KIA when they first came out were pretty much where Great Wall and LDV are now. They are trying to get into the game on a budget and using budget as an attractive incentive.

KIA/Hyundai now have a 7yr warranty which is telling prospective purchasers that they are willing to back their product up. They are hoping that a strong warranty will make people forget the earlier miss givings of earlier models that came onto our shores. It takes time.

I do think that KIA and Hyundai are leaps better than they once were. But the question remains, are we able to look past the brands history and drive/own a car for what it is and not because it has a badge on it that we would turn our nose up at?

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 30-07-2020, 12:43 PM   #338
Poetic Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
I do think that KIA and Hyundai are leaps better than they once were. But the question remains, are we able to look past the brands history and drive/own a car for what it is and not because it has a badge on it that we would turn our nose up at?
That's the issue, some people are so arrogant about it they won't even test drive it. Almost as if they know they'll probably like it but if they don't test drive it they won't have to accept it.
3 users like this post:
Old 30-07-2020, 12:53 PM   #339
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
That's the issue, some people are so arrogant about it they won't even test drive it. Almost as if they know they'll probably like it but if they don't test drive it they won't have to accept it.
That's exactly the case. Most poo poo the idea of a KIA, prejudging it due to the brand/badge before setting foot into one. It says a lot about the person rather than the brand.

Don't get me wrong, I was once a brand snob. I understand why people screw their noses up at a 'lesser' brand. But these days after a lot of self examination, I look at things on face value rather than preconceived notions I once had during my ignorant years.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
2 users like this post:
Old 30-07-2020, 02:57 PM   #340
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Does seem a little strange that people who say they don’t like Koreans because of some perceived notion of poor quality and reliability.The same people buy and drive Falcons of all ages which generally are not the most reliable or best cars to drive,especially from a few years back.How many can remember what a poor piece of engineering early Falcons were
2 users like this post:
Old 31-07-2020, 06:54 AM   #341
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

That is the ONLY Kia I would consider,the rest of the range? No thx.Stinger is the modern XR6 Turbo.
Old 31-07-2020, 11:13 AM   #342
Poetic Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackney View Post
That is the ONLY Kia I would consider,the rest of the range? No thx.Stinger is the modern XR6 Turbo.
Why is it the only Kia you would consider?

I do find this a relevant question given your sig implies you own or have owned a Nissan Qashqai.
Old 31-07-2020, 11:40 AM   #343
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Why is it the only Kia you would consider?

I do find this a relevant question given your sig implies you own or have owned a Nissan Qashqai.
I just do not like them,nothing inherently wrong with them,just do nothing for me.Qashqai? Similar vein of vehicle compared to the Kia SUVs,but just happen to like(or the wife does actually).
Old 31-07-2020, 12:05 PM   #344
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackney View Post
Their entire line up is solid, new Sorento along with new Carnival are close to arriving. Seltos is kicking goals and I don't think it will be long until we see a Rio-based crossover. Love Kia or hate them Kia are the real deal and create decent product.

All the best if they release a commercial line up, a lot of manufactures will be a tad worried.

I'm a Ford fan, but I'm also a realist and have an open mind.
barra240t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 31-07-2020, 12:21 PM   #345
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Their entire line up is solid, new Sorento along with new Carnival are close to arriving. Seltos is kicking goals and I don't think it will be long until we see a Rio-based crossover. Love Kia or hate them Kia are the real deal and create decent product.

All the best if they release a commercial line up, a lot of manufactures will be a tad worried.

And that is where a lot of people struggle. Many purchase with their heart and ignore the mind part of it.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 31-07-2020, 12:27 PM   #346
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

As I alluded to,they are not for me.Have no issues with your statement,which is pretty correct.I am waiting for the Nissan Ariya!
Old 31-07-2020, 01:00 PM   #347
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have owned Fords almost continuesly for over 50 years,but have had a few differenf makes in between.Had 3 F100,s from 1967 models through to 1984.Probably best little run around I had was 2wd Hilux,easy to drive and park,seemed to go forever on a tank of diesel.Only Kia I have owned was a Pregio van bought new in 2004,which died of a blown headgasket or cracked head at about 420,000.I now have an old PK Ranger which is just about to clock up 270,000 without any problems (yet)Had Mitsi Verada 350,000,929 Mazda again 350,000 so I can’t really say I have had a bad vehicle at all
Old 31-07-2020, 01:05 PM   #348
fgpsi
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We bought a 2017 Sportage base model SI last year

great car
fgpsi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 31-07-2020, 01:25 PM   #349
TrVrPhiLpsiNdstrys

There is a NEW RIO S arriving in Sept it has a few new safety features and a 10" touch screen now, we have ordered one in a NEW Bright Blue colour.

It's still only 1.4L but they have brought the 6sp auto back, it's all the wife requires for a runaround now that she has retired, i have the Cerato GT for daily duties now also

I didn't like the turbocharged 1.0L in last years RIO and now it has been detuned from it's sluggish 88kw to 74kw there is no way we will buy another GT Line unless they wake up and give it the Cerato's turbo engine as an option or at the very least the 2.0L.

Like you can order in the Hyundai i30N range

Peace out.

Last edited by TrVrPhiLpsiNdstrys; 31-07-2020 at 01:31 PM.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2020, 09:46 AM   #350
black13
born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrVrPhiLpsiNdstrys View Post
There is a NEW RIO S arriving in Sept it has a few new safety features and a 10" touch screen now, we have ordered one in a NEW Bright Blue colour.

It's still only 1.4L but they have brought the 6sp auto back, it's all the wife requires for a runaround now that she has retired, i have the Cerato GT for daily duties now also

I didn't like the turbocharged 1.0L in last years RIO and now it has been detuned from it's sluggish 88kw to 74kw there is no way we will buy another GT Line unless they wake up and give it the Cerato's turbo engine as an option or at the very least the 2.0L.

Like you can order in the Hyundai i30N range

Peace out.
Had a look at the cerato gt for the wife , they look good in the sedan. How do you find after a period of ownership as a daily.
cheers
triumph Daytona 1200
the black beast busa gsx1300r
black13 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2020, 11:39 AM   #351
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:

Without the locals anymore, it now comes down to KIA v Hyundai v Mazda v Toyota for the mass movers in small to medium cars. Out of that bunch I reckon Mazda is still seen as the more premium brand. Toyota still the old pair of comfortable jeans, Hyundai in no mans land which leaves KIA as probably the dark horse in terms of being a more progressive and “exciting” option but still with an identity crisis.

If I had to make the choice I reckon it would be between Mazda and KIA....

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2020, 10:45 AM   #352
StefD

We bought a Sorento to replace my wifes SZ Territory back in Feb. We bought the SLi, one step down from the top in a petrol. So far done 6600kms and loving it. We didn't need the diesel, or AWD, and we aren't fans of sunroofs hence why the spec we got. The two things my wife loves the most is the keyless entry and start, and the hands free tailgate. I had tried to go for an Everest Trend, but she is the main driver and she wasn't a fan of the size of it, too big for her.
LS XR5T - Performance Blue
LV XR5T - Frozen White
MC Titanium TDCI - Panther Black
SZ TX RWD 7 Seater - Glow
StefD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2020, 02:19 PM   #353
TrVrPhiLpsiNdstrys

Thumbs up Re: KIA - Would you buy one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by black13 View Post
Had a look at the cerato gt for the wife , they look good in the sedan. How do you find after a period of ownership as a daily.
cheers

My only gripe well 2 actually, the door card gets a depression where you rest your elbow whilst driving and after driving for 6 - 12hrs you realise how hard the heated and cooled seat actually is :/

Power delivery seems to have overboost available , the economy is ridiculous 4.8L @ 110kph for something 1300kg and 150+kw / goes from 0-100 in 6+ sec's and the 1/4 in 14 something

Ours makes 185rwhp so who knows what the real factory figure is.

It Goes, Stops and looks Good doing it, so yeah i would prefer a sedan myself especially in the gunmetal grey with red accents, but it weighs 20kg more ... go figure ;)

I love this thing and i am about to fit a custom 3" cat back split into twin 2 1/2" and quad tips from the guy that has fitted all my Falcon exhausts over the decades...

Last edited by TrVrPhiLpsiNdstrys; 02-08-2020 at 02:25 PM.
3 users like this post:
Old 02-08-2020, 05:38 PM   #354
black13
born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrVrPhiLpsiNdstrys View Post
My only gripe well 2 actually, the door card gets a depression where you rest your elbow whilst driving and after driving for 6 - 12hrs you realise how hard the heated and cooled seat actually is :/

Power delivery seems to have overboost available , the economy is ridiculous 4.8L @ 110kph for something 1300kg and 150+kw / goes from 0-100 in 6+ sec's and the 1/4 in 14 something

Ours makes 185rwhp so who knows what the real factory figure is.

It Goes, Stops and looks Good doing it, so yeah i would prefer a sedan myself especially in the gunmetal grey with red accents, but it weighs 20kg more ... go figure ;)

I love this thing and i am about to fit a custom 3" cat back split into twin 2 1/2" and quad tips from the guy that has fitted all my Falcon exhausts over the decades...
The weight difference wont be a problem for the wife. I just think the sedan looks much better. The gunmetal looks great with the red accents. How much did you pay & how long have you owned it?
triumph Daytona 1200
the black beast busa gsx1300r
black13 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2020, 05:42 PM   #355
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

For those thinking of buying the current stinger.... wait...

https://www.caradvice.com.au/870206/...hout-disguise/

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2020, 06:02 PM   #356
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Daughter just bought a new Cerato sedan in dark grey, one of the few cars on the road where the sedan is better looking than the hatch equivalent.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 03-08-2020, 05:51 PM   #357
TrVrPhiLpsiNdstrys

Cool Re: KIA - Would you buy one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by black13 View Post
The weight difference wont be a problem for the wife. I just think the sedan looks much better. The gunmetal looks great with the red accents. How much did you pay & how long have you owned it?
Paid $32000 Drive away with window tint and mats, bought it back in Sept 19'.

Wifey didn't like the sedan and it was her car so hatch it is !

I changed a few things today, it sounds like an AMG on the upshift's
now...soooo Happy with it

Last edited by TrVrPhiLpsiNdstrys; 03-08-2020 at 05:58 PM.
3 users like this post:
Old 18-02-2021, 04:57 PM   #358
TrVrPhiLpsiNdstrys

Well i certainly killed this thread :/

Anyone else bought a KIA ??
Old 18-02-2021, 07:26 PM   #359
MercuryT
Banned

Not sure about other States, pretty sure they use Stingers for highway patrol?

Drove past Hobart Police today and sure enough......an unmarked Stinger being used as a police car.

Interesting as no one here would suspect it so a smart move imo
MercuryT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2021, 08:11 PM   #360
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercuryT View Post
Not sure about other States, pretty sure they use Stingers for highway patrol?

Drove past Hobart Police today and sure enough......an unmarked Stinger being used as a police car.

Interesting as no one here would suspect it so a smart move imo
They have them here in SA too. From someone I know, they are tuned too.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont