Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2020, 08:50 PM   #5131
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty351 View Post
And who is "ken", as if I iddnt already know.
The male equivalent of a "Karen".
Old 09-08-2020, 09:01 PM   #5132
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Speaking of masks....this is brilliant! Sorry for those that don't have FB, I couldn't find an equivalent on YT

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=721714501741712
4 users like this post:
Old 09-08-2020, 09:12 PM   #5133
Mr_G6ET
Ford G6ET FG MkII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickford. View Post
Should've asked our resident FF.com.au "Ken" for some advice before putting on a mask.
the anti "don't me tell about personal protection" are here. hope Ken doesn't get sick, of course we care about his perception of caring for others

Last edited by Mr_G6ET; 09-08-2020 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Being nice ti the King Ken lol
Old 10-08-2020, 12:03 AM   #5134
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Here we go again....

Quote:
Novel bunyavirus re-emerges in China
A deadly virus has re-emerged in China, infecting at least 60 people as experts confirm it can spread from person to person.

Andrew Backhouse AUGUST 7, 2020

A deadly virus has re-emerged in China, infecting more than 60 people and killing seven.

The highly pathogenic, tick-borne novel bunyavirus can lead to thrombocytopenia syndrome.

It causes a viral haemorrhagic fever and has re-emerged in rural areas of China.

CNA reports that a 65-year-old tea farmer in China’s Jiangsu province recently fell ill with a fever of 40C and a repetitive cough.

Beijing-backed Global Times reported 37 people had been diagnosed with thrombocytopenia in the Jiangsu province.

Experts now believe the virus can be transmitted from person to person.

People can infect others via blood, the respiratory tract and wounds.

The virus can also spread to people via infected animals.

Most people are infected from tick bites.

Sheng Jifang, an expert on the novel bunya virus, told the Global Times a patient who had died three years ago later infected 16 people that had contact with the patient’s body.

One of those infected people later died.

The patient had bleeding because of severe infection, he said.

Family members of infected patients and medical staff have been warned to take necessary preventive and protective measures.

The Taiwan Centers for Disease Control says the novel bunyavirus has a fatality rate of about 10 per cent.

Common symptoms of the virus include fever, fatigue, nausea, abdominal pain, and decreased appetite.

It can lead to multiple organ failure and death.

The virus was first discovered in China’s central Henan and eastern Anhui provinces in 2009.

The disease has since spread to Taiwan, with a man in his 70s developing a fever and experiencing severe vomiting after contracting the virus last year.

He had no recent history of international travel but often went walking in the mountains.

There is no known vaccine or medications that can target the virus.

The re-emergence of the novel bunyavirus comes after the novel coronavirus was discovered in China late last year.
https://www.news.com.au/technology/n...62dc52db554e64

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Old 10-08-2020, 06:59 AM   #5135
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
I'm more interested in what happens in 2025 when the economic position of the country still sucks and there's huge unemployment, we had dramas with crime in parts of Melbourne before, it's going to kick into overdrive.

Or our ever worsening relationship with China - are we heading towards war?
Well, good time to be making sub's and ships I guess.

It is a concern I have too, I live in faith that the world is a little bit smarter these days and I just cant envisage a full blown WW but a bit naive to think it couldnt happen.

In the short term, I also agree, the billions spent now are for what? What did we avoid?

In 5 years time when this all passes and another virus outbreak occurs where is the money coming from? Im not sure when it ends but there economically needs to be a line drawn somewhere.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
3 users like this post:
Old 10-08-2020, 07:39 AM   #5136
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I believe this had to be part of Sweden’s approach.
This user likes this post:
Old 10-08-2020, 08:15 AM   #5137
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have heard anecdotal evidence of people being infected a second time. Young (under 55) people recovering but with significant long term problems.
I tend not to believe until I see some reliable figures.

Does anyone have any statistics of

1) reinfections - requiring inpatient/outpatient treatment both times
2) recovery with life changing long term negative effects

Anecdotes while fun are not things to base life decisions on.
eg Vesna Vulović survived a 10,000 metre fall from a flight - so ... would you choose to jump out of a perfectly functioning plane without a 'chute ??
Old 10-08-2020, 08:15 AM   #5138
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

*note, I am not in denial about the virus, its real, the effects are real, my concern is the ongoing economic packages and the seemingly endless credit being dished out.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
3 users like this post:
Old 10-08-2020, 08:23 AM   #5139
HIPO
Al

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ee1rHbyVAAANhpE.png
Old 10-08-2020, 08:33 AM   #5140
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Doctor claims Ivermectin triple therapy is 'amazingly effective' in treating COVID-19

Gastroenterologist Professor Thomas Borody says the Australian government should allow the clinical trials of a drug he says is “amazingly effective” in treating the deadly coronavirus COVID-19. Professor Borody says Ivermectin, used in conjunction with two other drugs, has so-far been extremely successful in treating the deadly pathogen. The drug is Federal Drug Agency and World Health Organisation approved; it is widely used for parasitic infections. However, Professor Borody told Sky News despite early result showing the drug is a successful COVID-19 treatment, he has been met with a “very negative reaction” by the federal government when he suggests the drug should be subjected to rigorous clinical trials.
https://www.skynews.com.au/details/_6179564747001

Promising results in small number trials, being suggested as potential protection for frontline workers and elderly in homes.
Old 10-08-2020, 09:56 AM   #5141
Fed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
*note, I am not in denial about the virus, its real, the effects are real, my concern is the ongoing economic packages and the seemingly endless credit being dished out.
My reading between the lines says the amount of money the world is throwing at covid means it's worse than what they are telling us or if covid is allowed to run we could be thrown back into the dark ages.

Somethings them them scared, real scared and I don't think they're telling us everything.
Old 10-08-2020, 10:03 AM   #5142
Fed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U View Post
https://www.skynews.com.au/details/_6179564747001

Promising results in small number trials, being suggested as potential protection for frontline workers and elderly in homes.
My reading of that says it's a treatment for when you're already half dead not a vaccine to stop you catching it. Still a good thing if it works but not something that will save us in the big picture.
Old 10-08-2020, 10:09 AM   #5143
leesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed View Post
My reading between the lines says the amount of money the world is throwing at covid means it's worse than what they are telling us or if covid is allowed to run we could be thrown back into the dark ages.

Somethings them them scared, real scared and I don't think they're telling us everything.
Why? Don't you think what they have told us is scary enough to justify the actions they've taken?
How infectious it is? The apparent randomness regarding the severity of the disease it causes? How healthy people without pre-existing conditions are dying? How it affects so many organs and leaves lasting damage?

Doctors have found it all through the body in autopsies. lungs, kidneys, liver, brain, nervous system, gut, heart, blood vessels, arteries. They've reported damage everywhere... strokes, heart attacks and heart failures, clots in limbs resulting in amputation, not to mention that young lady who got a double lung transplant.

Of course it's all anecdotal, it's too soon for anyone to have much more than anecdotal evidence but isn't it pretty clear that this thing is lethal?
We don't yet know the long term implications on the organs that are affected.

For anyone considering that it may be worse than what they're telling us, perhaps it's that you've been subconsciously downplaying it and not really acknowledging that it's any worse than the flu?

To me, they've been pretty clear from word go that this virus is more dangerous than any regular virus we've seen in our lifetime.

Old 10-08-2020, 10:20 AM   #5144
Fed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've been taking it seriously from day one leesa but all the scary stuff has only been drip fed to us over the last 6 Months and a lot of it quite recently.
Old 10-08-2020, 10:22 AM   #5145
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

386 new cases for Australia and 17 deaths sees the CMR rise to 1.399% and active cases rise to 9,228. NSW recorded 10 with the balance in Victoria. The deaths represent the highest daily total since the pandemic began.

No new cases and no deaths for NZ so CMR is 1.402% and active cases remain at 23.

The UK recorded 1,062 new cases and 8 deaths yesterday so the CMR drops below 15% finally to 14.984%.

Just over 56k new cases in the USA yesterday and 989 deaths sees CMR down to 3.205% and active cases at 45.6% with the raw numbers rising. Note that the USA is actually minus one day due to time differences.

Other notable points:
By the time the rest of yesterdays figures are in, the global total of cases will pass 20M, the last 1M taking only 4 days again;
The USA completes 65M and India 24M tests;
Asia
sets a daily high for new cases with 91,315;

Greece (202), Lebanon (294) and El Salvador (445) were the only countries to record new daily highs, those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Last edited by russellw; 10-08-2020 at 10:35 AM.
Old 10-08-2020, 10:55 AM   #5146
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed View Post
My reading of that says it's a treatment for when you're already half dead not a vaccine to stop you catching it. Still a good thing if it works but not something that will save us in the big picture.
Actually it’s potentially both if you go to the attached video.
Old 10-08-2020, 01:35 PM   #5147
HIPO
Al

Not sure why its "open season" on CoupeKing, so he has a different idea to this than most... so do i!.... get over it!.... lot of heads in the sand here!
2 users like this post:
Old 10-08-2020, 02:42 PM   #5148
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
China needs to be cut off from the rest of the world before they kill us all.
Old 10-08-2020, 02:46 PM   #5149
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
China needs to be cut off from the rest of the world before they kill us all.
This wouldnt have even registered as news over here if it wasnt for CV19, lets not all lose the plot.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 10-08-2020, 02:57 PM   #5150
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
This wouldnt have even registered as news over here if it wasnt for CV19, lets not all lose the plot.
But it has, and this is what, the 2nd or 3rd disease that has recently emerged in China?

Was covid not enough of a warning?

Last edited by GasoLane; 10-08-2020 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Not really necessary.
Old 10-08-2020, 03:24 PM   #5151
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Man in his 20s died of septiceamic plague in the US just a day ago....dirty dirty.

Hendra virus, originated from bats. Who has been eating horses? Outrageous!

Bird Flu outbreak in Lenthbridge Victoria. Look at all these dirty KFC lovers. Should be banned!

Bubonic plague still popping up year after year, in Africa, Asia and America.
3 users like this post:
Old 10-08-2020, 03:57 PM   #5152
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Man in his 20s died of septiceamic plague in the US just a day ago....dirty dirty.

Hendra virus, originated from bats. Who has been eating horses? Outrageous!

Bird Flu outbreak in Lenthbridge Victoria. Look at all these dirty KFC lovers. Should be banned!

Bubonic plague still popping up year after year, in Africa, Asia and America.

Not to mention Ebola....
Old 10-08-2020, 04:15 PM   #5153
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoFG
I have heard anecdotal evidence of people being infected a second time. Young (under 55) people recovering but with significant long term problems.
I tend not to believe until I see some reliable figures.

Does anyone have any statistics of

1) reinfections - requiring inpatient/outpatient treatment both times
2) recovery with life changing long term negative effects

Anecdotes while fun are not things to base life decisions on.
eg Vesna Vulović survived a 10,000 metre fall from a flight - so ... would you choose to jump out of a perfectly functioning plane without a 'chute ??
There isn't a lot of hard data as yet but a couple of studies do provide what insight we have thus far.

What we do know about reinfections:

Detectable IgM and IgG antibodies develop within days to weeks of onset in most but not all infected individuals.

The viral load typically peaks early in the illness and then declines as antibodies develop and antibody titers rise over a 2-3 week period (full article HERE).

The durability of antibodies has yet to be defined. Persistence of up to 40 days from symptom onset has been identified in a Chinese study.

What might help is antibody responses against other human coronaviruses - for example, following infection with SARS, concentrations of IgG remained high for approximately 4-5 months before subsequently declining slowly during the next 2 to 3 years. (Article Link).

There is one small Chinese study using four rhesus macaques where reinfection didn't occur after 30 days but that's far from conclusive and hasn't been peer reviewed.

The claimed Korean and Chinese reinfection cases are still under a question mark, with our own DoH commenting:

It is likely that positive tests soon after recovery represent persisting excretion of viral RNA, and it should be noted that PCR [polymerase chain reaction] tests cannot distinguish between “live” virus and non-infective RNA.

What we do know about longer term health impacts:Is probably best summarised in THIS article from the RACGP.

In short (for those who don;t want to read it).

Those who end up in ICU are almost certainly going to have longer term lung damage and quite possibly cardio-pulmonary issues as well.

Those who get a severe case seem likely to suffer some loss of lung capacity as well as chronic fatigue.

Studies of SARS have shown quite a high level of long term impacts from the disease even for normally healthy people and it's not dissimilar in many ways. (Link to another study).

Observatio Facta Rotae

4 users like this post:
Old 10-08-2020, 05:08 PM   #5154
HIPO
Al

I see theyre saying 1 IN 5 of our doctors and health workers have limited access to masks now!..........................derrrrrr
Old 10-08-2020, 05:39 PM   #5155
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIPO View Post
I see theyre saying 1 IN 5 of our doctors and health workers have limited access to masks now!..........................derrrrrr
Link?
Old 10-08-2020, 06:23 PM   #5156
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Link?
https://www.theage.com.au/national/o...09-p55jxx.html

Its odd though. The federal government received 58 million masks mid April. Is it a distribution problem?

https://www.health.gov.au/ministers/...-from-covid-19

I'm hearing there are delays with PPEs being sent out of China. Due to the number of fake PPEs being sent out by unregistered distributors, they are checking exports very carefully. Then there is the fight for cargo space due to limited flights.
3 users like this post:
Old 10-08-2020, 07:58 PM   #5157
HIPO
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Link?
It was on tonights Channel 7 early evening news, for what thats worth ??
2 users like this post:
Old 10-08-2020, 09:14 PM   #5158
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooseneck View Post
I've already lost lung capacity as a result of smoking several years ago I quit though so if I get COVID-19 I'll probably either die or need an oxygen concentrator. yes/no?

Same goes for my brother. Would like to know for sure if the damage is permanent or temporary, ie if the lungs can fix the damage.

Ma-a-a-ate, it's not how long ago you stopped smoking, it's how long you smoked for.
If you smoked for more than 25 years, mate then you are stuffed.
(link?-that's based on the number of funerals I have been to in the last 10 years)

Your lungs will never recover from smoking related damage no matter how many you smoked, lungs don't regenerate.
If you get Covid then you are most likely a dead duck.

I give you an answer of YES
Old 11-08-2020, 06:12 AM   #5159
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Angry Re: Covid 19 -

https://www.news.com.au/sport/ufc/co...a7198da525f073

Quote:
Former Australian UFC fighter Vik Grujic has launched another attack on Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews over the state’s new coronavirus advertising campaign.

Grujic’s latest tweet comes after a series of bizarre Instagram posts where he also claims the coronavirus is a hoax and stage four lockdowns in Melbourne are simply a case of government propaganda. He has deleted a post in which he said “evil thrives” in Melbourne and retweeted a petition to end Victoria’s lockdown.
Our friend Vik Grujic has gone national again
Old 11-08-2020, 06:42 AM   #5160
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
https://www.news.com.au/sport/ufc/co...a7198da525f073

Our friend Vik Grujic has gone national again
What a Muppet, a no-one deadbeat who makes a living somehow in a "sport" that should never have been glorified...I am sure his bogan minions are lapping it up.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane

Last edited by Polyal; 11-08-2020 at 06:53 AM.
Closed Thread