Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 30-07-2020, 10:06 AM   #4711
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
The New England Journal of Medicine study on hydroxxxxx for mild to moderate cases.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2019014

"A total of 18 patients died in the hospital during the trial (5 patients assigned to receive hydroxychloroquine plus azithromycin, 7 in the hydroxychloroquine-alone group, and 6 in the control group). There were no significant between-group differences with regard to the secondary outcomes of thromboembolic complications or acute kidney injury within 15 days, either in the prespecified analyses (Table 2) or in post hoc analyses that accounted for the competing risk of death (Table S11)."
Every single study promoting HCQ has made clear it must be given early, they state it has the reported ability to stop the virus from replicating within the cells avoiding the immune response that causes the respiratory failure leading to intubation and intimately death.

So yes you are correct in saying that many of the people who have recovered may have recovered anyway had they not taken it, but that also means that the argument can be made of how many people could have been saved had they had HCQ early and avoided being intubated?

This is the question being asked, it’s not in anyway suggesting that it’s a miracle drug that will bring people back from the dead, it’s being suggested it could be used to avoid people ending up in hospital.

There are also mainstream studies out there suggesting vitamin D deficiency has a strong link with C19 infection results, that’s not to suggest if you pump someone in a respirator full of vitamin D that they will all of a sudden recover.

If someone’s health condition means it’s unsafe, then it’s unsafe.
2 users like this post:
Old 30-07-2020, 10:47 AM   #4712
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

278 new cases for Australia and 9 deaths sees the CMR rise to 1.130% and active cases rise to 5,973. NSW recorded 29, WA 2, Queensland 3 and the balance were in Victoria.

2 new cases and no deaths for NZ so CMR is 1.412% and active cases rise to 23.

The UK recorded 763 new cases and 83 deaths yesterday so the CMR drops to 15.246%.

Just over 65k new cases in the USA yesterday and 1,216 deaths sees CMR down to 3.385% and active cases at 48.0% with the raw numbers still rising. Note that the USA is actually minus one day due to time differences.

Other notable points:
Despite what I said, global cases pass 17M with the last 1M in 4 days;
The USA completes 56M tests;
Asia records a new high for daily cases with 76,301;

Lebanon (182), Libya (205), Bosnia & Herzegovina (361), Czechia (374), Uzbekistan (692), Morocco (826), Iraq (2,968) and India (52,249) all recorded new daily highs, those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

Observatio Facta Rotae

This user likes this post:
Old 30-07-2020, 11:14 AM   #4713
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U View Post
Every single study promoting HCQ has made clear it must be given early, they state it has the reported ability to stop the virus from replicating within the cells avoiding the immune response that causes the respiratory failure leading to intubation and intimately death.

So yes you are correct in saying that many of the people who have recovered may have recovered anyway had they not taken it, but that also means that the argument can be made of how many people could have been saved had they had HCQ early and avoided being intubated?

This is the question being asked, it’s not in anyway suggesting that it’s a miracle drug that will bring people back from the dead, it’s being suggested it could be used to avoid people ending up in hospital.

There are also mainstream studies out there suggesting vitamin D deficiency has a strong link with C19 infection results, that’s not to suggest if you pump someone in a respirator full of vitamin D that they will all of a sudden recover.

If someone’s health condition means it’s unsafe, then it’s unsafe.
So is the suggestion everyone takes HCQ until the virus passes or a vaccine is found? You would be laughing if you were the manufacturer.

And thats a reported ability or proven?
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 30-07-2020, 11:16 AM   #4714
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

723 new cases in Victoria.

This is bizarre as I can't see Victorians not wanting to comply with the crisis. Perhaps the testing process, testing kits, and or both might be flawed?

Last edited by cheap; 30-07-2020 at 11:22 AM.
Old 30-07-2020, 11:17 AM   #4715
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post

This is bizarre as I can't see Victorian not wanting to comply with the crisis. Perhaps the testing process, testing kits, and or both might be flawed?
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-07-...-high/12506262
Old 30-07-2020, 11:35 AM   #4716
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post

This is bizarre as I can't see Victorians not wanting to comply with the crisis. Perhaps the testing process, testing kits, and or both might be flawed?
That would imply that the testing process is producing false negatives, Therefore artificially pumping up numbers? Surely not!

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 30-07-2020, 11:43 AM   #4717
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
So is the suggestion everyone takes HCQ until the virus passes or a vaccine is found? You would be laughing if you were the manufacturer.

And thats a reported ability or proven?
There are studies underway including locally (unless they were canned with the hospital use as GTP Owner mentioned) to test its effectiveness as a Covid preventive with health care workers.

https://www.wehi.edu.au/news/covid19...thcare-workers

Masks don’t work to 100% effectiveness, neither does social distancing any other measure we have at the moment, if we added something like this in, even if it helped a notable percentage and helped control this infection isn’t that what we all want?

If for example it’s unsafe for the elderly in homes, which from what I’ve read is very debatable, but the workers could take it to avoid cross contamination this would be a great result.

The cost of this experiment at a couple of dollars a week per person would be a drop in the ocean compared to what the economy is bleeding per week.

Last edited by FPV8U; 30-07-2020 at 11:53 AM.
2 users like this post:
Old 30-07-2020, 12:08 PM   #4718
PhilT2

Quote:
The cost of this experiment at a couple of dollars a week per person would be a drop in the ocean compared to what the economy is bleeding per week.
I understand what you are saying but I think you are underestimating how complex running an experiment like this can be. First you have to get consent from all the staff, including temp relief workers, to participate in the trial. What if some won't take part? Some of these places have high staff turnover.
Then everyone has to be monitored for side effects. This drug has been around a long time and its side effects are well known. Compliance also has to be monitored to make sure everyone takes what they should when they should.
Then someone has to try and make sense of the data that is collected. Will we get usable information? How will you decide whether what happens is due to the trial or just happened by chance?
Old 30-07-2020, 12:22 PM   #4719
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Biggest takeaway from that article for me is, and I think this needs to be highlighted to every Victorian who is reading this post:

Quote:
From midnight Sunday all Victorians, including those in regional areas, will be required to wear face coverings when they leave their homes.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
Old 30-07-2020, 12:24 PM   #4720
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilT2 View Post
I understand what you are saying but I think you are underestimating how complex running an experiment like this can be. First you have to get consent from all the staff, including temp relief workers, to participate in the trial. What if some won't take part? Some of these places have high staff turnover.
Then everyone has to be monitored for side effects. This drug has been around a long time and its side effects are well known. Compliance also has to be monitored to make sure everyone takes what they should when they should.
Then someone has to try and make sense of the data that is collected. Will we get usable information? How will you decide whether what happens is due to the trial or just happened by chance?
Absolutely it will be difficult, these are difficult times where we are all making sacrifices and having to make extra effort, mask mandate just went state wide, highest daily infection by numbers we wouldn’t have thought possible a month ago.

This isn’t the time for putting things in the too hard basket, if this could reduce infection even in a reasonable percentage.

The study I’ve linked above should be a couple of months in by now, sooner or later we will a conclusive answer, but if I had an elderly relative in a home that didn’t have health conditions precluding then from taking something that may protect them, I’d want them on it, even if only during the active outbreak in the facility.
2 users like this post:
Old 30-07-2020, 12:31 PM   #4721
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Absolutely it will be difficult, these are difficult times where we are all making sacrifices and having to make extra effort, mask mandate just went state wide, highest daily infection by numbers we wouldn’t have thought possible a month ago.

This isn’t the time for putting things in the too hard basket, if this could reduce infection even in a reasonable percentage.

The study I’ve linked above should be a couple of months in by now, sooner or later we will a conclusive answer, but if I had an elderly relative in a home that didn’t have health conditions precluding then from taking something that may protect them, I’d want them on it, even if only during the active outbreak in the facility.
Once proven that's a different kettle of fish. And even then it needs time in the field.

Happy for you to be first though. Until the full green light is given people are wasting their energy even thinking about it unless they want to put their hand up to be part of the trial to speed the process up.

Even when the vaccine comes out I am happy to hang back in the line (Im a vaccer before anyone starts that, so are all my kids).

Mask mandate should have been done with the first wave if you go into public, its not hard and you dont even have to inject your body.

with any issue there is no silver bullet.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 30-07-2020, 12:34 PM   #4722
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
Biggest takeaway from that article for me is, and I think this needs to be highlighted to every Victorian who is reading this post:
I'm suspect on their effectiveness given the current increasing case numbers.

It's all a bit bull**** IMO - been a week now with masks and numbers are higher than ever.

But I figure there's a bit of a lag on the results, up to 5-7 days for results, time for people to develop symptoms and get tested etc - what time period are these 700+ new cases from?
Old 30-07-2020, 12:35 PM   #4723
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:

It's all a bit bull**** IMO - been a week now with masks and numbers are higher than ever.

But I figure there's a bit of a lag on the results, up to 5-7 days for results, time for people to develop symptoms and get tested etc - what time period are these 700+ new cases from?
Stats this week are from actions over the past 2+ weeks.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 30-07-2020, 12:38 PM   #4724
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Also there's still only 10,000 cases out of the 6.5M Victorians - that's still pretty good odds.
Old 30-07-2020, 12:44 PM   #4725
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Once proven that's a different kettle of fish. And even then it needs time in the field.

Happy for you to be first though. Until the full green light is given people are wasting their energy even thinking about it unless they want to put their hand up to be part of the trial to speed the process up.

Even when the vaccine comes out I am happy to hang back in the line (Im a vaccer before anyone starts that, so are all my kids).

Mask mandate should have been done with the first wave if you go into public, its not hard and you dont even have to inject your body.

with any issue there is no silver bullet.
I’m awaiting to hear back if they are willing to expand their trial to include my line of work.

I’m with you on the Vaccine, I’m not in a rush to take anything that hasn’t been proven safe and like you I’m normally happy to take them.
Old 30-07-2020, 12:45 PM   #4726
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Also there's still only 10,000 cases out of the 6.5M Victorians - that's still pretty good odds.
I think the biggest concern is the trendline, not necessarily the magnitude of current cases. Continuing to go up is not a good thing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 30-07-2020, 12:51 PM   #4727
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:

And it's only effective if people use them. While we have people like Karen refusing to follow the guidelines, it puts everyone at risk.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 30-07-2020, 12:51 PM   #4728
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Even allowing for the timing differences between the data I use (which is global) and the locally produced numbers, we still end up with ~716 new cases and 13 deaths for Australia both of which are a new daily record surpassing the 537 (Mar-28) and 10 (Jul-26).

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 30-07-2020, 01:09 PM   #4729
PhilT2

Quote:
And it's only effective if people use them. While we have people like Karen refusing to follow the guidelines, it puts everyone at risk.
The two young women that were diagnosed with Covid yesterday were in Melbourne eight days ago. It is alleged they lied about their travels when they returned to Qld. One is co-operating with authorities and has disclosed the places she has visited since her return. The other has refused to disclose this information.
One of the schools affected is in my neighbourhood and there is some discussion around here about how many days in a cell might be necessary to bring about the required "attitude adjustment" Most are a bit open ended about that.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-07-...ation/12503248
3 users like this post:
Old 30-07-2020, 01:33 PM   #4730
.:4:.
Kicking back

Now granted my mum lives in nsw, but she went to qld with her boyfriend to visit his kids for a few weeks and was asked at the border to proove where she had been for the past 14 days. That was easy enough, 2 weeks of transaction history from the bank and prove its her card. Yes that could be falsified if you were a dodgy bastard. She also had to give a valid reason to cross the border. Her and her boyfriend were visiting/staying with his kids. Mind you his youngest is 45 or something. And they ask all the other questions etc.
But it really shows how all it takes is people doing the dodgey against recomendations to ruin it for everyone. Doctors and scientists didnt spend countless hours of reasearch and having to agree on moves to try and prevent the spread for no reason. Untill they develop a vacination, the 1%ers just need to do what the majority do, and just accept that at the moment, measures to prevent are the only known option that has seen any form of success in somewhat slowing things down. Its not as if the people doing the reasearch are pussy footing about, it just takes time to work it all out.
Old 30-07-2020, 05:59 PM   #4731
gooseneck
Banned

"whatever what-ever, I can do whatever I want"

Trust a couple of fuglies to screw this up.
Old 30-07-2020, 05:59 PM   #4732
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

They should throw those 2 cod fish in jail for 30 days...

Sorry, I can't call them ladies.

A fine is not enough....

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
7 users like this post:
Old 30-07-2020, 06:03 PM   #4733
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
They should throw those 2 cod fish in jail for 30 days...

Sorry, I can't call them ladies.

A fine is not enough....
I do find it strange that (as far as I know) they are the only ones who have had their names as well as faces shown in the media.
Old 30-07-2020, 06:09 PM   #4734
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
I do find it strange that (as far as I know) they are the only ones who have had their names as well as faces shown in the media.
Look at them... probably at their request.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
6 users like this post:
Old 30-07-2020, 07:25 PM   #4735
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
The government didn't reveal their identity. It was the general public.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
Old 30-07-2020, 08:14 PM   #4736
gooseneck
Banned

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/he...2a7a9dde2e064a

Remember that crazy tramp who blew off the checkpoint? facing up-to a $10,000 fine. Sounds reasonable.

Yeah keep laughing girl. I sure am. hahaha
Attached Images
File Type: jpg d7163b703ccdd5a989e2f07f130feaa2.jpg (27.6 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by gooseneck; 30-07-2020 at 08:21 PM.
3 users like this post:
Old 30-07-2020, 08:25 PM   #4737
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR Martin View Post
The government didn't reveal their identity. It was the general public.
More of the story is unfolding each day.

They did go to Melbourne, to steal\handbags?
They did host a drunken party at an Airbnb. Cops got called and shut down the 'gathering'

I wonder what their clients might be thinking?
Old 30-07-2020, 08:29 PM   #4738
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Was listening to the ABC/BBC this morning and they were interviewing a ........

Sorry buddy...I tuned out when you mentioned the oestrogen infestation.

One pandemic is enough....
Old 30-07-2020, 08:37 PM   #4739
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
If you truly believe what you're saying in this post, and not just saying it to raise a response, then it would have to be one of the most out of touch posts I've seen on these forums. And I've been on here for over 13 years.
13 years on a car forum makes you an expert on all topics and a judge and berate those who disagree with your..."expertise" .
My advice to add to your 13 years of wisdom is google "ad hominem"
4 users like this post:
Old 30-07-2020, 08:42 PM   #4740
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooseneck View Post
https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/he...2a7a9dde2e064a

Remember that crazy tramp who blew off the checkpoint? facing up-to a $10,000 fine. Sounds reasonable.

Yeah keep laughing girl. I sure am. hahaha
Key phrase is 'up to'... I think we all know she won't get much more than a slap on the wrist.
Closed Thread