Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-09-2010, 03:34 PM   #1
falcom
Starter Motor

Default How to get a cheap new car?

Has anybody used this service: http://costpricecars.com.au/CPNC/Home.html

If it is genuine, knowing the cost of a car to the dealer would be a powerful tool to have when negotiating with the dealer.

falcom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2010, 08:33 PM   #2
Cam
Stroking it...

Very interesting, surprised there hasn't been more interest in this thread actually!

I would love to hear real life experiences with this!
Now: Busted assed EB Wagon - 5sp and Dual Fuel.
Cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2010, 08:58 PM   #3
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

$100 for a quote? no thanks
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2010, 09:03 PM   #4
creative
I am Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR-CHIEF
thats what I was thinking.... what can they do that a normal customer cant?

You walk in and you haggle.....
creative is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2010, 09:15 PM   #5
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Giant w*nk , wont take into account holdback . Meaningless piece of $100.00 paper . Come in Spinner .
wrongwaynorris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2010, 10:06 PM   #6
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

There is a 'car buying service' available to teachers. They promise the 'best deal' etc

Anyway, a few years ago a teacher I was working with was going to sign the papers on a new car in the afternoon after a few hours car hunting / negotiating the day before.

Another staff member suggested that she call the service, after all, they saved her a few grand off the RRP when she bought new.....

So she called and gave the details. She got a fax quote after 4 hours that was still a substantial amount (thousands) over the deal she got.

Anyway... When it comes to a large purchase like this I would want to be the one doing the deal, not a 3rd party who has their own financial interests to look after on top of yours.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2010, 10:17 PM   #7
Cashie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Multiple helpful contributions throughout the tech area. 

I've used discount new cars before...
http://www.discountnewcars.com.au/

Past Rides:
2017 Kia Stinger GT
2008 FG XR6 Sedan
2008 FG G6E Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2008 BF XR6 Turbo Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2003 BA XR8 Ute
2003 BA XR6 Sedan
Cashie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2010, 11:19 AM   #8
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
Anyway... When it comes to a large purchase like this I would want to be the one doing the deal, not a 3rd party who has their own financial interests to look after on top of yours.
Despite what you may think... 3rd party negotiations can be the most successful way of negotiating...

1. They're not emotionally attached to the purchase...
They can look at the car (or whatever the item is) without any 'rose coloured goggles' on... I've seen people that have bought cars with major issues, but they don't care that they're overpaying... just to get the car... and in hindsight they could have saved $thousands (to go towards the resto, etc) if they had have stood firm or used a negotiation service...

2. They DO have their own financial interested in mind... (this is a PLUS)...
I know of a company that has a purchase negotiation service available... they charge 30% of the amount saved... so it is in THEIR interest to get the car as low as possible, as well as your own... the more they save, the more they make... So you know that they're going to do everything they can to get the car as cheap as possible... because thats how they make the money... (i could reel off examples here - but I wont...)

3. They are more experienced at buying/selling...
How many cars have you bought/sold... 2? 5? 10?
Someone who has sucessfully bought over 100 - 200+ cars is going to have MUCH more experience in making the deal than a 'joe average' that has only done it a couple of times in their life.

4. Convenience...
The fact is, that some people are lazy... and its much easier to have someone else do it for you...

These are just a few points to consider...
Old 17-09-2010, 02:44 PM   #9
hhaannkkyy

Hey guys I recomend this web site as they are in contact with dealers accross Australia.

http://www.aussienewcarbrokers.com.au/
hhaannkkyy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2010, 04:19 PM   #10
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
There is a 'car buying service' available to teachers. They promise the 'best deal' etc

Anyway, a few years ago a teacher I was working with was going to sign the papers on a new car in the afternoon after a few hours car hunting / negotiating the day before.

Another staff member suggested that she call the service, after all, they saved her a few grand off the RRP when she bought new.....

So she called and gave the details. She got a fax quote after 4 hours that was still a substantial amount (thousands) over the deal she got.

The service you refer to was possibly Union shopper. Doesn't always come out best but can save thousands on many different items.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2010, 11:04 AM   #11
falcom
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR-CHIEF
$100 does seem a bit high but it could have the potential to save you thousands plus you will know when the salesman is telling you BS.
falcom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2010, 12:16 PM   #12
MR_SIDO
you'd be popular too.....

Item 4 on the terms and conditions:

Legal Version:

4. The service is a good-faith estimate of an average dealer’s cost price for a new vehicle of the type specified (the “INFORMATION”), made according to a proprietary formula and method exclusive to Cost Price Cars. While all reasonable care is taken in the preparation of the Information, a specific dealer’s price may vary based on many factors including the customer’s negotiating practices, individual dealer discretion, local factory bonuses, manufacturer price changes and other unforeseen circumstances not under the control of Cost Price Cars.

My Version:

4. We really have no idea how much a dealer pays for their cars at any one time.

Item 11 in the terms and conditions:

11. If the customer is found to be associated with an entity that engages in the sale of vehicles, or acting on behalf of such, the customer agrees to pay direct and consequent damages to the service provider of an amount not less than one hundred (100) times the price paid for the information (or the quantum of damages to the service provider, whichever is the greater), plus the service provider’s costs as applicable.

Are they worried they may get it wrong? This clause seems dodgy.

You have to laugh really at these sorts of services, I can tell you guys now that the only people that dont get a good price are the ones that do not shop around. The biggest enemy of the dealer is the other dealer down the road with the same franchise. You will find once you mention you have been to the 3 dealers down the road you will get a very sharp price. Then watch out for the Aftermarket, this is where the money is on a new car sale.