Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-06-2010, 01:16 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation E85 Roll Out Begins

E85 ethanol roll-out
By Paul GoverHerald Sun04 June 2010
The arrival of E85 at Caltex pumps is not the end of the ethanol story, as GM Holden and Caltex are also part of a six-way consortium which plans to begin making ethanol fuel in Australia from rubbish.
A growing number of ethanol-focused new cars, including the Series II update of the Holden Commodore in October, has sparked an E85 push in Australia.

Caltex has just committed to install E85 ethanol pumps at 100 service stations in a little over 12 months, becoming the first mainstream fuel company to make a move on E85.

It will begin the roll-out with 30 metropolitan and regional stations in time for the arrival of the VEII, joining about 400 stations which currently sell E10 fuel. The E85 fuel - already used in V8 Supercar racing as part of a green push - is made to a world standard and 70-85 per cent ethanol.

In contrast, E10 has only 10 per cent ethanol content. The difference with ethanol is that it is an alcohol fuel made from plant material and not a petroleum-based fossil fuel. But the arrival of E85 at Caltex pumps is not the end of the ethanol story, as GM Holden and Caltex are also part of a six-way consortium - with Veolia, Mitsui, Coskata and the Victorian government - which plans to begin making ethanol fuel in Australia from rubbish.

Coskata announced plans to create ethanol-from-waste fuel in the USA more than 18 months ago and was quickly joined in a partnership by General Motors, which is the world's largest producer of flex-fuel vehicles capable of running on E85 fuels.

The Australia deal is likely to see a plant built in Victoria to manufacture second-generation ethanol fuel, a move which overcomes the 'food for fuel' debate in the USA where corn stock is the base material for E85.

My comment : sugar belongs in my coffee not my car..

Old 05-06-2010, 01:48 AM   #2
Eleanor

I seriously wonder if it's all worth it?

Some reports have shown that the ethanol production process results in a negative net energy balance, that is, more energy is required to create ethanol compared to what we get out of it. This will do nothing to lessen the energy draw on our powers grids. Furthermore, most of our energy generated by our power plants comes from burning coal. In other words, we are basically substituting oil/petrol with a lot more coal when it comes to producing ethanol.

Also, ethanol contains approximately 34% less energy per unit volume than petrol, and therefore will result in a 34% reduction in kilometres to the litre. In other words, if a car gets 20 kpl using regular unleaded, it will only get about 13 kpl when using the same amount of E85. So, more ethanol is needed to drive the same distance then if petrol had been used. We essentially need more E85 to drive the same distance which means we burn more coal, have less efficient vehicles and emit more pollutants. The other consequence is that much more farmland will be needed to grow the crops required for the production of ethanol, in turn reducing the amount of land under agriculture for food production.

And are there really going to be that many ethanol based cars on our roads here to make this a viable proposition for Caltex?

My AU2
Eleanor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2010, 01:53 AM   #3
seduced_xr
BF XR6

from what i was told E85 will be replacing 91 but our 95 and 98 wont be ****** up, is that correct?
BA Falcon XR6 [JS92WA]in Winter White, 6 Speed ZF - BF Tail Lights, Pacemaker Twin 2.5" catback DBA Gold Series Rotors, 5% tint >>ITS BACK - The REBUILD IS ON, BF 2 Ghia 3v V8 5.4L, Full Fairmont Ghia Interior with FPV GTP seats,Boss Bonnet,BF Front End, DJR 302 Rear Wing, BF steering Column with BF ignition and FG keys, <<

2010 FG Falcon XR6 [XRLNT] in Lightning Strike, 6 Speed Auto - 15% Tint, Ipod, Bluetooth, Climate Control, custom plates, DJR 302 Wing
seduced_xr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2010, 02:17 AM   #4
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by seduced_xr
from what i was told E85 will be replacing 91 but our 95 and 98 wont be ****** up, is that correct?
No, in some states E10 will replace 91 ULP.
Some outlets already have 10% ethanol blended with 95 & 98 ULP to make 97 & 100 RON E10
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2010, 02:38 AM   #5
seduced_xr
BF XR6

eh confusing. leave my 98 alone and ill be happy lol
BA Falcon XR6 [JS92WA]in Winter White, 6 Speed ZF - BF Tail Lights, Pacemaker Twin 2.5" catback DBA Gold Series Rotors, 5% tint >>ITS BACK - The REBUILD IS ON, BF 2 Ghia 3v V8 5.4L, Full Fairmont Ghia Interior with FPV GTP seats,Boss Bonnet,BF Front End, DJR 302 Rear Wing, BF steering Column with BF ignition and FG keys, <<

2010 FG Falcon XR6 [XRLNT] in Lightning Strike, 6 Speed Auto - 15% Tint, Ipod, Bluetooth, Climate Control, custom plates, DJR 302 Wing
seduced_xr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2010, 09:21 AM   #6
Bad Bird
Watts a panhard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanor

Some reports have shown that the ethanol production process results in a negative net energy balance, that is, more energy is required to create ethanol compared to what we get out of it. This will do nothing to lessen the energy draw on our powers grids.
True for corn-based ethanol, not true for many other forms of production such as cane.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:19 PM   #7
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

Quote:
Some reports have shown that the ethanol production process results in a negative net energy balance, that is, more energy is required to create ethanol compared to what we get out of it. This will do nothing to lessen the energy draw on our powers grids. Furthermore, most of our energy generated by our power plants comes from burning coal. In other words, we are basically substituting oil/petrol with a lot more coal when it comes to producing ethanol.

Also, ethanol contains approximately 34% less energy per unit volume than petrol, and therefore will result in a 34% reduction in kilometres to the litre. In other words, if a car gets 20 kpl using regular unleaded, it will only get about 13 kpl when using the same amount of E85. So, more ethanol is needed to drive the same distance then if petrol had been used. We essentially need more E85 to drive the same distance which means we burn more coal, have less efficient vehicles and emit more pollutants. The other consequence is that much more farmland will be needed to grow the crops required for the production of ethanol, in turn reducing the amount of land under agriculture for food production.
Copy and paste much? It's all very insightful and the points being made are all quite valid, but how about we give credit were credit is due - http://www.weatherimagery.com/blog/tag/pollution-free/
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2010, 12:30 PM   #8
3vXT

Quote:
Also, ethanol contains approximately 34% less energy per unit volume than petrol, and therefore will result in a 34% reduction in kilometres to the litre. In other words, if a car gets 20 kpl using regular unleaded, it will only get about 13 kpl when using the same amount of E85.
Well that doesn't add up. According to that E85 would have 34% less energy only if it was 100% ethanol which it isn't. Whoever wrote that needs a new calculator.
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2010, 12:30 PM   #9
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Can't believe the knockers of E85. Bring on E100 or sraight methanol I say. Anything that lets you wind in more timing, boost and cools the inlet charge!! Fuel economy? ... go drown in a urinal.

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2010, 12:31 PM   #10
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

i'd run E85 in my ute... IF i didnt have to mod the engine to suit... but unfortunatly i have been informed thats not the case... however, if its worth it, and i can get good power from it, then i may do it.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:37 PM   #11
all torque

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Bird
True for corn-based ethanol, not true for many other forms of production such as cane.

Bad Bird is right, the yanks use corn because of the weight corn farmers carry over there. Over here we could use sugar which is a much better option.
all torque is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2010, 12:37 PM   #12
Qwik6
Unsafe @ any Speed

Awesome news. Love Ethanol.

By HEINRICH PERFORMANCE & TUNING

E Series Falcon Image Museum on FB
https://www.facebook.com/pages/E-Ser...29864000453208
Qwik6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2010, 01:52 PM   #13
burnz
VFII SS UTE

the problem is that ethanol is market dependant.

brazil now have a fuel shortage as the farmer/producers sell overseas for higher return than selling local.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2010, 02:18 PM   #14
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out fellow AFF members... Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Daniels knowledge of modular engines and superchargers is extremely valuable to the AFF community. I have learnt quite a bit just reading his build threads. His contributions are often utilised by other members. 

Great news. E85 is not a one size fits all solution but it certainley fits me.

If burning Coal to supply energy grids is upsetting anyone, quit your sooking and start lobbying the government to build Nuclear powerstations... this will automatically pave the way to mining, exporting and storing Nuclear waste. This is the only real way to get Australia to get onboard "Kyoto" properly and will expand mining operations in three states (Which the govt will supertax anyway for even more income to pay off the foreign debt they have successfully racked up at an unprecedented rate)

There, there's something in that to upset everyone... the most PC part of my post was how good E85 is....

Daniel
CAT600 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2010, 02:53 PM   #15
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by seduced_xr
eh confusing. leave my 98 alone and ill be happy lol
Make sure you only put BP in then as the rest contain ethanol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
the problem is that ethanol is market dependant.

brazil now have a fuel shortage as the farmer/producers sell overseas for higher return than selling local.
The government subsidises our sugar farmers.
Old 05-06-2010, 04:35 PM   #16
351EL

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt

The government subsidises our sugar farmers.
Really?
The government must be addressing my cheques wrong.
351EL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2010, 04:43 PM   #17
SVD

**** yeh E85 for the win! the only thing that is stopping me upgrading my fuel lines etc...is the fact it's not available in enough stations...if at all!
SVD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2010, 04:51 PM   #18
Eleanor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SM1DY
Copy and paste much? It's all very insightful and the points being made are all quite valid, but how about we give credit were credit is due
Yeah sorry about that for the way it has mislead people. At the hour I wrote that post at the end of a very long day my
Quote:
hasn't worked. I didn't pick it up at the time and haven't revisited this topic til now. The first and last lines were mine with the rest modified to get rid of the 'yank speak'.
Apologies again. And yes, credit to weatherimagery.

My AU2
Eleanor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2010, 08:46 PM   #19
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Shell V-Power is 100% petrol (no ethanol) or so I thought I read somewhere once. It was their V-Power racing (100RON) that had the E10 component from memory, and I don't think they sell that anymore.

And the MSDS for the Caltex Vortex 98 shows "Petroleum Hydrocarbon 90-100%" with no mention of ethanol anywhere on it.

So I just went checked the V-Power MSDS which states "Gasoline Low Boiling Point Naptha 99-100%" with no Ethanol mention either.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2010, 10:49 PM   #20
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

I am looking forward to this E85 rollout! There are upsides to this from performance, import substitution and the 'green' standpoint.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2010, 10:49 PM   #21
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Concerns have been raised by the AOMC with regard to use of ethanol fuels in older and low usage cars including:

Ability to absorb water over a short period of time, and that the fuel 'goes off' over a shorter period.
Effects on gaskets, seals and the entire fuel systems in many cars have not really been addressed sufficiently.
The fact that some new cars even today do not recommend ethanol fuels.

Research on this subject is now being conducted by the RACV to determine the extent of the problems (if any) with fuels containing ethanol.

Why hasn't this been done already by the relevant authorities before introducing these fuels? Not too long ago, even recent cars at the time suffered severely from the rubbish petrol after unleaded was introduced, until BP Ultimate came along and saved the situation.

I just hope BP leaves Ultimate alone, and continue its availability in the form it is at present.
Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2010, 09:12 AM   #22
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Is the government going to hand out rebates to have my engines rebuilt for E85? Other than that, i'm all for it. Its better than going down the Electric/fuel cell path.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2010, 09:58 AM   #23
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkinshaw
Can't believe the knockers of E85. Bring on E100 or sraight methanol I say. Anything that lets you wind in more timing, boost and cools the inlet charge!! Fuel economy? ... go drown in a urinal.
One problem I see with it Dan, as said in the article, it will contain 70-85% ethanol. How will you tune a high comp or boosted engine to it and be sure your getting a consistant fuel?

We have had it here at a couple of locations for a while and my info was the same, the fuel at the pump is inconsistant, this may be ok for a mass produced car, but for one tuned on the ragged edge for performance its a recipe for disaster.
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2010, 11:10 AM   #24
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

I guess if your engine was on the raged edge you would have a wide band on it...
Or tune to a higher concentration of Ethanol ??
To be on the safe side.. Other than adding some C16 for strip etc..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2010, 11:44 AM   #25
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

There is a very fine line between a safe max power tune and one that will rattle itself to death or blacken plugs on a highly tuned engine, will you retune the engine every time you fill the tank.

You can add a race fuel as an anti knock, but max performance will still be hit or miss, you have to know what your dealing with first.

what does this do for engine longevity let alone performance, cant be good, Im not saying e85 is a bad thing, and there is power to be made for those that care about such things, but unless I could get a consistant blend I will stick to what I know, that most consistant fuel for the price out there.
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2010, 08:52 PM   #26
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Keep it fat on tune and it will be fine.. Ignition timing is not as critical...

Plug fouling is not the same issue either !!!

High power engines on the edge would have a good ignition system...

Running it on my S480 turbo 4.0 Lexus engine at present..

1000cc injectors, two Aeromotive A1000 fuel pumps, -10 fuel lines..

Admittedly a street engine would not require such a large fuel supply..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2010, 09:16 PM   #27
minheim

You'd be surprised how much ethanol in Australia comes from grain and not sugar crops. Manildra is a big producer and was a generous donating party to the Liberal party. Be interesting to see what volume actually is produced from trash as planned.

My own view is that if ethanol can't compete with petrol without special excise treatment then it is a waste of time and an inefficient use of funds/resources and is only done for short term votes from the rural sector/greens.
minheim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2010, 10:40 PM   #28
Bundy
All Ford Club Life Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget378
We have had it here at a couple of locations for a while and my info was the same, the fuel at the pump is inconsistant, this may be ok for a mass produced car, but for one tuned on the ragged edge for performance its a recipe for disaster.

mmmm......... V8 supercars, yup big disaster.

mind you they probably don't but it from the local, but this doesn't mean its not 85% all the time either, or they have some really smart chemist adding the seceret herbs and spices.

Worked AU XR8 Ute - Toy

Std FG XR6T Ute - Daily

Supercharged BA 6 Ute - Wife's daily

351W F150 93 XLT 4x4 Supercab
Bundy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2010, 10:11 PM   #29
Bossxr8
Peter Car

You can gaurantee that the E85 for V8SC is specially brewed for them so that every barrel is the same octane.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2010, 12:17 PM   #30
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out fellow AFF members... Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Daniels knowledge of modular engines and superchargers is extremely valuable to the AFF community. I have learnt quite a bit just reading his build threads. His contributions are often utilised by other members. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget378
One problem I see with it Dan, as said in the article, it will contain 70-85% ethanol. How will you tune a high comp or boosted engine to it and be sure your getting a consistant fuel?

Yep, 100% this is my only concern for "pump E85".

The timing (octane) side of the problem is solvable as you can run the lesser timing, but the % mixture of Ethanol will change your AFR's considerably.

For example, if your car is tuned to run on winter grade "E70" at a WOT AFR of 12.5:1, by filling up with summer grade "E85", your AFR effectively moves to 13.6:1.

Not cool.

If you apply the reverse AFR logic you would tune for 12.5:1 on summer grade and then when you fuelled with winter grade you would end up at 11.5:1...... this fuel would have lower knock threshhold but as I say you can tune the car with a few degrees less timing to be safe.

As Graeme said, the wideband in the car is the only safe option when the car is set for kill, then have a second state of tune available (be it in the jetting of a carby car or the flash tune in an EFI car)

The V8 SC fuel is exactly 85% and is bloody consistant.

Daniel
CAT600 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post