Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 04-03-2007, 04:50 PM   #61
Mr_4.0
What Wheelspin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbays
Unless they have real world falcon six tuning experience they will make no diference to peak power and may make the powerband worse.

yes i understand that the au head and the e-series head a re different but no by much.

i was more pointing the the fact that jonbays may think that this guy doesnt have knowledge of the falcon six. i beg the differ. i have been to his work shop, seen his previous work, and seen his projects.

2003 BA Xr6 Turbo (Atomic Long, DTM auto, Nizpro stage2 kit, eaton truetrac, E85, HeadsexTuned)
Mr_4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2007, 08:34 PM   #62
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_4.0
yes i understand that the au head and the e-series head a re different but no by much.

i was more pointing the the fact that jonbays may think that this guy doesnt have knowledge of the falcon six. i beg the differ. i have been to his work shop, seen his previous work, and seen his projects.
I am concerned that the head expert cant work out that 50mm valves are not going to work or really even fit in a small camber low valve angle SOHC head in a car with a 101mm bore. It just sounds like he talking through his hat you know bigger valves yeh yeh ported high compression any armchair web expert can tell you that BS.

I would be asking my haed expert why he wanted to put in bigger inlet valves or exhaust valves. In an AU the size is OK
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2007, 08:53 PM   #63
JoesAu

there only half a mm bigger i spoke to him today, more importantly its the throats that are going to get worked at. Ive seen previous work done for forum members and he knows his stuff, ive seen a awsome head one time he built for a Eseries guy looked great.
JoesAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2007, 08:56 PM   #64
JoesAu

theres no space for any bigger than half a mm, im not worried about that its the machining i care about thats the key to get good flow.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:08 PM   #65
Mr_4.0
What Wheelspin?

are u egtting him to spend a while on the die grinder joey?

when i spoke to him yesterday, he wasnt sure howfar you wanted to go......

2003 BA Xr6 Turbo (Atomic Long, DTM auto, Nizpro stage2 kit, eaton truetrac, E85, HeadsexTuned)
Old 05-03-2007, 11:04 PM   #66
Baboon_AU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i have the crow cam 2522.. u dont even need the motor to be in tdc.. just unbolt and striahgt swap.. no need for dialing unless u have a vernier gear. the line on the cam gear lines up with the coloured chain links and the cam will only slot in one way due to the dowel pin.. JoseAU.. i dont know what the hell you have done mate

1981 XD Fairmont 351 - 351 Cleveland, ARP bolts, flat top pistons, Stage 3 Dynotec cam, ported 2V heads with 4V valves, Roller Rockers, Weiand manifold, Mighty Demon, 1/2" fuel lines with blue Holley fuel pump, Crane hi-6 ignition, B&M megashifter, C4, hi-stall, shift kit, 3.77 Ford 9" LSD.

Thanks to: EvilChief and SJW Performance
Baboon_AU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2007, 09:55 AM   #67
66 coupe
around the place

I got a funny feeling when he put the shims in, the lifters were still pumped up, therefore the valves were opening more, and hitting the pistons.
Old 06-03-2007, 02:06 PM   #68
Mr_4.0
What Wheelspin?

i dont fully understand what he did either. but when he started it up, the motor was out by about 90 degrees.

Old 06-03-2007, 11:47 PM   #69
JoesAu

she'll be rite i have a manual this time. I post up pics of the head shortly
Old 07-03-2007, 10:40 AM   #70
JoesAu

Heres the head
Old 07-03-2007, 08:36 PM   #71
trick_xd
I build your wish list...

in that 2nd pic you can see where the throats have been cut out a heap..
Old 29-05-2007, 09:40 PM   #72
FS5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hows the car going with the new head mate?
Old 30-05-2007, 09:48 AM   #73
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoesAu
Heres the head
Looks to be very similar to a Stage 2 ... nearly Stage 3 spec that my mechanic gets done for him ... has a few of them now installed on a few E-series and working wonders.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2007, 07:45 PM   #74
JoesAu

yeah the car feels different for sure, goes a fair bit better. I'd like to see what power it has at the moment? im hoping to get a decent cam very shortly, with a cam it should go hard as especially with head done. im looking at a Regrind from CMS at the moment if i dont choose that one i'll get a jMock one.
Old 31-05-2007, 10:18 AM   #75
LOWAU

Are you getting the edit/chip done as well? I'm asking cause if you get a cam other then JMM it won't run with the std ecu. The AU ecu can't adopt to change very well, thats why wade don't do regrinds for the AU.
LOWAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2007, 11:21 AM   #76
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Any cam for the AU will need an EDIT as the EEC V will try and compensate for it over time ... even JMM cams (which they do not make themselves ... they are reground elsewhere).

It will still should work better over standard ... but not to it's optimum though using the factory PCM without EDIT or aftermarket ECU.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2007, 02:09 PM   #77
FS5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
yeah the car feels different for sure, goes a fair bit better. I'd like to see what power it has at the moment? im hoping to get a decent cam very shortly, with a cam it should go hard as especially with head done. im looking at a Regrind from CMS at the moment if i dont choose that one i'll get a jMock one.
sounds good mate,i'd go the jmm cams.they work well with the stock ecu.
Old 31-05-2007, 05:08 PM   #78
LOWAU

They do work well with stock ECUs but it will be 100 times better to do the edit or a unichip, extra power/economy. I know for sure they are reground somewhere else and somwthing tells me its wade but not 100% sure.

My bro has installed the Dev5 cam and he is happy with it but now we are gonna install the unichip in a couple of weeks and I will let you guys know the results. The car hasn't stalled due to the cam and runs very good. Its manual so maybe thats why it hasn't stalled but in general the cam is well behaved with a good idle. We were expecting a crap idle and the car to run really rich but that hasn't happed.

We also didn't want to go to JMM due to the price for a regrind but the end of the day it R&D that you pay for.
Old 31-05-2007, 05:25 PM   #79
JoesAu

yeah sweet let us know how u go with the unichip, im looking at dev4 i think so im gonna ring em tommorow and see what they'd reccommend for my liking.
Old 31-05-2007, 05:47 PM   #80
LOWAU

Yeah I will let you know how it goes. I would recommend the Dev 5 as you have the ported head, but this is just my opinion.
Good idea to talk to the guys at JMM but make sure you tell them all the mods you alreay have as they wanted to sell us their springs and vernier gear even thou we told them we had crow gear, lol.
Old 18-10-2011, 12:44 PM   #81
SileNceR
02/90 EA II Fairmont

Default Re: Ordered New Cam today

Quote:
The cam was out by a Quarter of the cam gear so that was huge and broke 3 valves. Hopefully i havent done any damage to the pistons and there is some slight marks on them from where the valves hit.
I know this is a huge thread mine (positively massive) but posting as an FYI to everyone;

AU and E-series Cam gears (and cams) have the locating pin 90 degrees away from one another. Either you used an E-series cam gear, and AU cam, or Au cam gear and e-series cam, or a mixture but timed by the wrong book, you'll have this problem.

The best way to eyeball is that at TDC both the #1 inlet and exhaust lobes are pointing down. If either are point up, something is wrong.