Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 20-07-2013, 04:19 AM   #1
uniacidz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default ACA - Parking Vigilantes

We all have dealt with moronic motorists whom cannot park, had our cars damaged because of them and now finally social sites starting to shame bad drivers.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ACA - They're the bad parking vigilantes.

This group of fed up drivers publicly name and shame bad parkers to force them to follow the rules.

Parking vigilantes

Never seen a girl so passionate about car parking.
Do these ppl have jobs? lol

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mods, apologies if posted in wrong forum

VX SS (R.I.P)
VE Berlina
Old 20-07-2013, 06:17 AM   #2
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 
Default Re: ACA - Parking Vigilantes

Pity is they are only shaming drivers who park poorly, what about the
ones that can't even get in the space and damage you car in the process?
Old 20-07-2013, 06:29 AM   #3
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Makes it really hard when you have a child to get in & out of a car in the baby seat when you can't open the door all the way. Or most of it enough to get the child in & out without too much trouble.

The big question is, if these people cant judge the white lines for a near stationary maneuver, what are their actual driving skills worth at speed? And parking a car is part of driving. You do it in your test..

The other is sheer laziness.

The "That'll do" attitude.

At my work, I have my parking space, not signed as mine, but I have parked there almost everyday in 6 years & get damned ****ed when I can't.

A woman had parked her car paked just over the white line on my side. Still in her car, I parked dead centre. And here she is going off at me in her car motioning & asking why would I park there? I got out, locked my car started to walk to my office, and I said to her "Learn how to park". Took note of her numbe plate, turned & kept walking.

She got out without a scratch to my car.
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.

Last edited by Revolver; 20-07-2013 at 06:35 AM.
This user likes this post:
Old 20-07-2013, 07:21 AM   #4
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

I hate ACA but caught this story whilst channel surfing the other night. Theres a website in the UK in which you can do the same thing. YPLAC.com You can even buy a label pack that you fill out and leave on the offending car lol

- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

3 users like this post:
Old 20-07-2013, 10:23 AM   #5
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So lets see.
You go to a car park.
You find a spot.
The car on the left is parked just over the line.
The car on the right is parked way over the other side.
You park exactly between them so that all doors can be opened without damage.
Half an hour later the other two cars have driven off and some snotty little do gooder on a crusade to to make herself into a folk hero instead of actually working and contributing to society takes your photo in some attempt to make herself feel superior.

Yep the world of social media is truly the place where insignificant nobodies can inspire other insignificant nobodies into lower and lower actions.

I am sure there are do gooders on here who would think such a thing never happens but in my little tourist trap it is very common....
Old 20-07-2013, 10:35 AM   #6
Vekgib

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist View Post
So lets see.
You go to a car park.
You find a spot.
The car on the left is parked just over the line.
The car on the right is parked way over the other side.
You park exactly between them so that all doors can be opened without damage.
Half an hour later the other two cars have driven off and some snotty little do gooder on a crusade to to make herself into a folk hero instead of actually working and contributing to society takes your photo in some attempt to make herself feel superior.

Yep the world of social media is truly the place where insignificant nobodies can inspire other insignificant nobodies into lower and lower actions.

I am sure there are do gooders on here who would think such a thing never happens but in my little tourist trap it is very common....
When I see that situation, no matter how much I need a spot, I don't park there.I can see what's going to happen and I'm not interested in it.

Stuff this,I'm going to play a few shots & see what happens.
3 users like this post:
Old 20-07-2013, 10:37 AM   #7
I reckon
Banned

Just goes to show these houso's have nothing better to do!

As for ACA .......paaallleeassseeeeee! ..........what's on next week ,which butter is better for you ? Or a steam mop test....pathetic that show.
7 users like this post:
Old 20-07-2013, 11:23 AM   #8
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Royalty birth ?? Sheesh .. WTFC...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
Old 20-07-2013, 12:01 PM   #9
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Once again ACA have mislead the truth just to get a more interesting story. I know because I am on that facebook page.
99% of photos are set in by random people who are just going about their day and see moron parkers. Those people who were on ACA were some of the admin team. They just post the photos that people send in to them. They say that if they see a stupid park as they are going about their day they will take a picture, but they don't go hunting for it. The people on ACA told them to act like they do.
It's a good page. People are always admitting they now fix up dodgy parks so they dont end up on the page.
If it starts to force people to be more considerate, then its doing a good job.
Honestly ACA is ******* hopless.

This page is not just about showing people who park slightly over the line in carparks, its about showing the idiots who are completely inconsiderate to everyone else around them because they don't care about any one or thing except themselves.
I think all photos should include the cars number plate. Many people have seen their cars on there, apologized and the photo was removed. Then others will come on abusing everyone because they were caught doing something wrong but somehow they still want to blame everyone else.

Yes the Yaris is parked

These people are not parking on an angle because people next to them forced them to, these people just don't care.

Last edited by Ben73; 20-07-2013 at 12:23 PM.
Old 20-07-2013, 12:24 PM   #10
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
Once again ACA have mislead the truth just to get a more interesting story. I know because I am on that facebook page.
99% of photos are set in by random people who are just going about their day and see moron parkers. Those people who were on ACA were some of the admin team. They just post the photos that people send in to them. They say that if they see a stupid park as they are going about their day they will take a picture, but they don't go hunting for it. The people on ACA told them to act like they do.
It's a good page. People are always admitting they now fix up dodgy parks so they dont end up on the page.
If it starts to force people to be more considerate, then its doing a good job.
Honestly ACA is ******* hopless.
With no thought to any reason why the car was parked where and the way it was?

Maybe they should only allow photos that are posted by people who put up their names, addresses and phone numbers so the "victims" can contact them to sort out any misconceptions......
Old 20-07-2013, 12:33 PM   #11
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't agree with all the photos that have been posted, some are small mistakes that are no big deal. But people who park wherever they please, across driveway, in the middle of roads, across 2 or 3 parks, there is usually no explanation needed.
The cars owner can get on the page and let everyone know why they parked like that, nothings stopping them from explaining themselves.
Old 20-07-2013, 12:54 PM   #12
LTDHO
The one and only

It isn't hard to park your car central to the line.

Should you not, IMO you should be fined. Or publicly shamed
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
Old 20-07-2013, 12:55 PM   #13
XP6
Formerly ST170ish

The ones where the car is not parked evenly between the lines cant always be helped when skin sausage heads that design car parks to small for larger cars they dont allow for swing... try parking in some of these places with a tray back ute or even the falcon ute being wide and long, its near impossible to in my ute to back out with little swing room as my mirrors protrude and dont allow for an "early swing" especially if the cars in the opposing are large/long or not parked on the front line... its the stupidity of 90° parking in these places when they should be 60° or 45°.
Old 20-07-2013, 01:07 PM   #14
Jack960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Do they really believe people care? I mean I try to park my car as far away as possible and as best as i possibly can. But if for whatever reason I parked badly, I couldn't give a crap if some person with too much time on there hands posted it on Facebook, it wouldn't phase me the slightest.

If they could somehow use the photos and registration to fine people, that would make a difference.
Old 20-07-2013, 01:14 PM   #15
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

A friend set up a facebook page for crap parkers, not to have a go but more so a wee wee take on some poor attempts. Good for a laugh.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
Old 20-07-2013, 01:22 PM   #16
nstg8a

Flappist is taking this a bit personally, is his car on that Facebook page somewhere?

IMO its all a bit of a laugh, more important things to stress about than how some numbnuts parks.

I noticed this one the other morning when I went to work, morning after origin3...

Old 20-07-2013, 01:39 PM   #17
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some people try to find a cure for cancer, work in soup kitchens, volunteer for charity work. Others take picture of car park over the line.....

As for ACA it just makes me cringe watching that clip...

My elderly mother watches these current affair shows and believes they are news and can't differentiate....I don't think she is alone.
5 users like this post:
Old 20-07-2013, 02:02 PM   #18
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

too much of the lowest common denominator having too much time on their hands and access to the internet
Old 20-07-2013, 02:12 PM   #19
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
Flappist is taking this a bit personally, is his car on that Facebook page somewhere?
Not personally at all and no I have not had some photo put of FB by the newcastle nazis and even if I did I really would not care.

Last edited by russellw; 20-07-2013 at 07:13 PM.
Old 20-07-2013, 02:17 PM   #20
rog xc

Had a mate who parked his car in the juncture of 4 bays in a carpark one sunday afternoon. Joint was empty so he did it as a bit of a laugh. We went into the city, saw a couple of movies, headed back to the carpark.. It was shut! "Bugger it" he says, pick it up tomorrow. Couldn't get there for three days & when he did it had been clamped

The company charged him premium rates on all four spaces for three full days, clamp fees & workers time.. Came to $300 odd dollars for his "bit of a laugh" Never done it since, & always checks what time the carpark shuts
2 users like this post:
Old 20-07-2013, 02:26 PM   #21
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack960 View Post

If they could somehow use the photos and registration to fine people, that would make a difference.
Well that is what the brown bombers are for.

If random do gooder superheros could just take photos then they would also have to turn up to court as (unpaid) witnesses and prove that they were aware of all the legalities when and whereit was taken and that the camera complied with standards and picture was not manipulated in photoshop (or do you want a pic of your car parked on top of Ayers Rock 5000 years ago).

The random do gooders also have no protection under law so if someone got a bit upset with them they are just an ordinary person who might be assaulted after provocation and that usually ends in a "don't do it again", nothing more.

Vigilantism is a dangerous thing that can escalate quickly.......
Old 20-07-2013, 02:31 PM   #22
K_Man
Whoa, this is heavy!

I miss my old xd for this reason, no reason to shy away from spaces that were left too tight by morons that couldnt park properly. Had one instance in croydon, 3 series convertible parked right on his drivers side line, no worries, heave the old xd in, with my passenger mirror about an inch from his drivers mirror, and I was dead centre in the bay.

Came back 1/2 hour later to an irate looking yuppie, who once he saw me started acting busy on his phone til id left.

I miss that old car so much. No one messed with it in car parks/traffic.
Old 20-07-2013, 07:13 PM   #23
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Can we just keep this on topic please.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 20-07-2013, 09:19 PM   #24
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Are there not more important things people could possibly be dedicating their time and energy to? If these parking vigilantes are feeling so wronged by someone who dares to park their vehicle in a manner other than strictly prescribed, why dont they refer it to council officers who are charged with the responsibility to in investigate?

Makes my blood boil knowing how vast and wide the problems of society are, and to see such a basic and petty subject paraded as 'news' and thus magically worthy of vigilantism to be honest, is as offensive as the subject is trivial.
Old 21-07-2013, 04:11 AM   #25
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by calais View Post
Are there not more important things people could possibly be dedicating their time and energy to? If these parking vigilantes are feeling so wronged by someone who dares to park their vehicle in a manner other than strictly prescribed, why dont they refer it to council officers who are charged with the responsibility to in investigate?

Makes my blood boil knowing how vast and wide the problems of society are, and to see such a basic and petty subject paraded as 'news' and thus magically worthy of vigilantism to be honest, is as offensive as the subject is trivial.
Because most of the time said councils & parking administrators handball it back to you with a "not our jurisdiction refer it to <enter state government body here>" who also handball it back to you claiming that its councils problem. Meanwhile the problem isn't solved.

Some may say, park elsewhere. That's not the issue. It's the principle of the matter. If its 6 o'clock Sunday afternoon at the Woolies car park, a massive 5 cars in the lot who cares? But active laziness during high turnover periods is not right.

While I will not actively go searching for this, if I come across one in my travels, I will post it up or pass it on. I'm sure that there are issues that irk you that would be called trivial by some. Much the same as using legible forms of gramma & punctuation on forums such as AFF. For some they can't stand it, others don't care. It's just the way we are wired.

Do I have better things to do, you bet, I'm a very busy person for the most part. But is it that hard to do something that is, lets face it very easy, part of everyday driving, is painted in outline for you, or just plain boil it down to common courtesy, and doing the right thing? Or has that gone the way of the dodo?

And let's not forget the entertainment factor.
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.

Last edited by Revolver; 21-07-2013 at 04:28 AM.
Old 21-07-2013, 07:46 AM   #26
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Who is actually sensitive enough to feel humiliated by this?

The bit where they want an apology is a bit much, what makes these "vigilantes" think that they're entitled to an apology? I can only imagine that they lead quite unremarkable lives and feel somewhat empowered by "making the world a better place" when they "humiliate" these drivers and demand apologies. I can totally understand someone who 'likes' the page on Facebook and snaps a photo here and there in their travels. But to visit car parks specifically to take photos, I imagine these are the people who also drop by Centrelink on the way home. At least they're getting exercise.

A better idea would have been to create an app that alerts parking inspectors/rangers- they have such a thing somewhere in the USA.
Old 21-07-2013, 11:17 AM   #27
thefargo
black xb
Donating Member3

It looks to me like good old fashion bullying. Sure they are using modern technologies to do it, but it is still bully tactics.
AS posted earlier, find something really useful to fill your day.
Old 21-07-2013, 11:45 AM   #28
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

im a two parking spots gang official member.. im usually well out the back parked on my lonesome away from the door bangers..

this one was near closing time.. 5 min run inside hope thats ok with the sooks..

a little while back i was shooting the **** with a few bros in a fine fast food dining carpark..

a big flatscreen, soccer mum, mouth breather pulled up next to mine.. as soon as it came to stop doors went flying open and 50 kids piled out..

we just looked at each other.. yep thats why i am a **** that takes up two parks..
5 users like this post:
Old 21-07-2013, 12:36 PM   #29
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

There is a Melbourne one too:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Sunbury has already featured twice, in that photo the owner of the Veloster is actually replying.

^ lol

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 21-07-2013 at 12:44 PM.
Old 21-07-2013, 12:53 PM   #30
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I assume all those haters on here in relation to the vigilantes and / or their practices either cant park a car themselves, too lazy to try to park correctly or don't reside in Newcastle! Having lived in several states, now Newcastle there isn't a day go by where I see a multitude of motorists who cannot drive, and in relation to this thread, park correctly.
Obviously the issue is Australia wide, but this town seems to carry the weight of them in my opinion.
And I am just as frustrated with these driver's attitudes, sheer stupidness and in-ability to park their vehicles, and as such am a member of the announced facebook group. Have I posted a few pics on the page of bad parking behaviour? Yep, you bet. It would be a full time job taking photos of these culprits, that's how frequent it occurs in this town.
There is going to be haters (this thread shows this) but I don't give a damn what anybody thinks, that it's a waste of time etc. If time was so precious you wouldn't have posted here in the first place, right?
3 users like this post:
Closed Thread