Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 08-01-2009, 01:54 PM   #1
JerseyVics
www.FPVregistry.com

Talking Working Holiday, eh?

I posted a thread in the VIC/TAS forum but I think this is probably more appropriate to solicit ideas.

Does anyone have any experience with a working holiday in australia?

I'd like to go this February, haven't chosen a location yet, or when I want to leave... Visa has been secured so the only thing I'm really searching for now are airfare deals.

Looking for opinions on best places to actually find a job to support myself during the visit, ease of travel throughout australia even on the weekends, best place to get a cell phone/sim card (better to buy one in the US or is it cheap enough to buy the actual phone in Aussie), what to do about transportation... cheap car or public transport/walking... and lodging... look for a flat straight away or do some backpacking first?

sorry if this is not the right forum... anyting I left out please feel free to add!

thanks,
--Russ

Old 08-01-2009, 02:09 PM   #2
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

The only real way to answer your questions properly is to tell us where you want to go. Will the stays be short term ie. backpacking around or do you want to stay in one spot? What do you want to gain from this trip?

Also, how long are you staying on Oz for?

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2009, 03:08 PM   #3
JerseyVics
www.FPVregistry.com

I'm flexible.

My US job is crapping out on me, so I don't have to retrun quickly... willing to stay up to a year for the term of the visa, which I received today.

No particular place to go, ideally I want to be where the jobs are so I could support myself while there and earn enough to be able to travel.

From what I learned so far this means anywhere around Melbourne, Sydney or Brisbane... including their suburbs. I'd like to be close to a major airport so I could travel further on the weekends visiting Cairns, Darwin and Perth... I prefer being a tourist for a weekend, anything longer makes me bored.

My goal is to arrive in time for the FPV Day March 1st so I'll be starting my journey in Victoria.

Stay length will be dependent on how well I could support myself there. I intend to stay between 3 to 6 months, however could do the full year if its so great! And I'm sure it could be based on what I've read.

I would love to be in an area that has an active car scene... I bleed ford blue.... and a place with girls! I don't drink, so bar life is unimportant, although I need to get girls pretty drunk for them to like me, so I guess I got it all wrong. lol

People say Sydney is the most expensive place to live in OZ... Melbourne has crazy weather, so I would imagine Brisbane is my first choice... if it is anything like Miami, Florida than it definitely is for me... I love Miami!

thanks,
--Russ
Old 08-01-2009, 03:12 PM   #4
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The vintage (you yanks call it crush) is starting up shortly here in the Barossa in South Australia. Good hours and plenty of $$$ if you are willing to work hard for it.
Otherwise, I guess there is the other usual jobs that backpackers do, suchas fruit picking in the Riverland.
Old 08-01-2009, 03:14 PM   #5
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Now honestly, out of those choices I would look at Brisbane. Nice climate, plenty to do and under an hours drive from the Gold Coast. Now I'm not just saying that because I live in Brisbane, but I have been to both Melbourne and Sydney and left very disappointed with both places.

http://www.ourbrisbane.com/ < Check it out.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2009, 03:16 PM   #6
JerseyVics
www.FPVregistry.com

thanks Peuty!

sgt_doofey, I was kind of looking more for some sort of IT/Business Development work, but if I'm unlucky I guess farm work will do too... I heard they feed you and put a roof over your head, so how bad could it be? could possibly loose some weight doing it, not bad at all!... I need it!

--Russ
Old 08-01-2009, 03:32 PM   #7
smasht

Melbourne!

Awesome weather (that part is obviously a joke) best place in AUS, why you ask:

1.) the diversity here is amazing
2.) work is plenty if you are will to do the leg work and look for work
3.) night life is awesome
4.) as far as i know accomadation is easy to get here weather it be in the city center or futher out
5.) it snowed in the week between christmas and New years
6.) the beaches and sights are amazing from Phillip Island (where is grew up) to Wilsons Prom, the Black Spur is a great drive and or Ride, the national parks like the Dandenongs etc
7.)The women are beautiful!

Cheers

BA XR8 Silhouette Ute
Premium Sound
BPR CAI
Highflow Cats
Cat back + rear muffler removed
Custom tune (HP) by Chris BPR
DBA's + Bendix Ultimates

230.6 rwkw!

!NO HEADERS!

Mods to come (on a budget) -
Tripod and gagues
Lowered
Oil Pump Gears
Diff Ratio Change (3.7s?)
Underdrives
DF / Pacemaker headers?
Cams?
Sunroof

~Soon to be a weekender~
smasht is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2009, 03:39 PM   #8
DTFRMONT

You might want to have a look at http://www.seek.com.au for work. Contract stuff shouldn't be too hard to pick up, especially here in Melbourne, even if you start off doing call centre type stuff...
DTFRMONT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2009, 03:51 PM   #9
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Hmm its a hard one.

I would take a complete stab in the dark and say that VIC has one of the better car cultures aswell.

Brisbane would be good, but wouldn't have a clue what you could do for a job when it comes to something near the CBD. Maybe something out bush?

Ive never had an issue getting a job in Vic, warehouse jobs are ok, temp position, pay is goodish and you dont need a resume for it.

Heaps of odd jobs around really.

You haven't told us what experience you have?
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2009, 05:26 PM   #10
JerseyVics
www.FPVregistry.com

went to grad school for IT, ended up working in Marketing... some web & graphix design, SEO, pay-per click, promotions... did an internship as a systems analyst at a bank, but have been in the transportation field for the past 10 years, 5 with the same company that might close its doors any day now...
Old 09-01-2009, 12:53 AM   #11
fiesta8u

mate as for working, go to queensland, sydney has no work and is just a polluted city, heaps of jobs in qld atm and good paying as well.
fiesta8u is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2009, 05:53 AM   #12
JerseyVics
www.FPVregistry.com

I intend to go everywhere! I guess its important to get a job with some flexibility in it... I'm thinking it might even be cheaper to work weekends as air fare is usually cheaper mid week and would allow for more short trip options.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:04 PM   #13
73gscoupe

You will need some $$ in the bank before you come, getting a job is not guaranteed, especially one with enough flexibility to let you travel. Most professional office jobs will lock you in 9 to 5, with very little time off. Most casual jobs are unreliable and unpredictable for hours. the economy here is also feeling the effects of the current financial situation. Also, with the american dollar doing better than the Aussie, it makes more sense to earn the dollars over there then here.

I would say Brisbane or Sydney for a base. Im in melbourne, its a great place but it does get cold in winter.

Weather: http://www.bom.gov.au/weather/national/

traveling on the weekend is fine to see the cities, but you will miss alot of the country. You need time to get around. if you are based in brisbane, then places like Perth are a long way.

public transport (bus / train) is rubbish here, my experience is public transport takes twice as long as car. Nothing like the states unfortunately.
Best mode of transport is by car - i would buy one here. old mid 80's falcons are good value and generally reliable.

Considered a job in the mines up QLD or NT? They pay well, and do roster X days on X days off which gives you time to travel.
73gscoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2009, 05:36 PM   #14
JerseyVics
www.FPVregistry.com

I've saved up a few bux to be able to spend some time job hunting, I don't have enough to be lazy there for too long though... sadly if I don't do this trip now I'm probably never going to get a chance to do it, plus I already paid for the visa so its a done deal.

Public transport in the US sucks! Plain and simple... I used to work for a major "private" transportation (bus) company in the NYC area and it simply put is a joke. I've been aggravated enough times waiting for a bus locally that either never showed up or was more than half an hour late going into Manhattan, so its very common here too.

Melbourne will be my starting point but I will likely migrate to warmer weather up in Queensland... I would like to see the country but I'm not one to gasp at the site of a Koala for an hour... I came, I saw, and I move on quickly. Now when it comes to automotive events, I tend to stick around... so I'd love to see or possibly drive the Bathurst or other tracks.

I'm simply in the planning stages... if I can't plan out too much from here I'll just go, and live it day by day upon arrival. Thats all.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:57 PM   #15
westoftown

If your IT trained, i reckon you could easily find temporary contracts in admin, just data entry and filling in shortly for receptionists; that sort of thing, there are insane amounts of those sorts of jobs around.

Or alternatively why not just grab a 4WD and take off around Australia? when you see a help wanted sign in any random town, settle for a few weeks, earn some cash and then take off again

Quote:
charcoal: one shade tuffer than gunmetal grey
westoftown is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2009, 07:02 PM   #16
ELGT4me
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Russ, stop mucking around & get over here!!! Make sure you see & drive Bathurst & Phillip Island. I am sure within AFF Family somebody will know someone, who can give you a ride to someplace, a bed for a few nights, & even might have some casual work, lined up somewhere. Like I said before, I hope you like bbq's, & booze & Fords!!! Try & get to the Clipsal 500 as well!!! _2:
ELGT4me is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2009, 05:38 PM   #17
JerseyVics
www.FPVregistry.com

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELGT4me
Russ, stop mucking around & get over here!!!

Done deal... I am arriving Sydney on February 8th!

--Russ :
Old 10-01-2009, 07:19 PM   #18
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

RE: the weather in Melbourne, it does get cold here during the winter months, namely July and August, and even then, it usually only gets down to about 10 degrees Celsius (50 Fahrenheit) during the colder days, and about 2 degrees Celsius (36 Fahrenheit) at night, so I'm sure you can handle that, you must get much colder in NYC, after all we don't get snow in Melbourne.

During February however it can get pretty hot, usually we get a few days over the 41 celsius mark (106 Fahrenheit).

If you can manage to get to Melbourne by Feb the 15th, make sure you make your way down to the All Ford Day in Geelong, usually a great day and plenty of our local Fords for you to check out. Geelong is only about an hours drive from Melbourne, so if your around, check it out.

Also if in Melb, with a week or so to spare, make sure you drive The Great Ocean Road, it's an unforgettable experience for you to take home and there is a lot to see.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:00 PM   #19
73gscoupe

Second that above.

handy link for car shows:

http://www.pinky.com.au/vicfeb2009.htm

Picnic at hanging rock is a good one, its on the 8th though..

If you go All ford day at Geelong (Highly recommended) make sure you do the discovery centre:

http://www.forddiscovery.com.au/
73gscoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2009, 08:23 PM   #20
XR6TCraig
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you wanted to do the backpacker thing that would be a great way to see a lot of Australia. Providing you don't mind what you do for your spending money, there is a whole industry ( fruitpicking,etc) that relies on backpackers for their seasonal labour.

Look for work here:
http://www.backpackeremployment.com.au/
http://www.backpackaround.com.au/jobs.html
http://www.backpackoutback.com.au/

These are popular with the backpacking community. You can use it for transport and accom:

http://www.wickedcampers.com.au/

Just hire a van, which you can live in as well as travel in, and travel up the east coast in it following the work and checking out the views.

Once you have had a bit of a look around and found a place you like, you could then settle somewhere (if you wanted to), get rid of the van and acquire more permanent accom and a better paying job for a while.
XR6TCraig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2009, 01:16 AM   #21
WizBang
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There is heaps of work all over the country if you keen to work .
Gives a PM when you hit Perth as there are a few IT guys over here that get on this forum so work will be easy and I what I haven't seen of W.A isn't worth looking at and I'll give you a bed for a few days to help you get sorted .
Theres a few of us doing a road trip up north for 4 weeks in April so you are welcome to join us on that too.
WizBang is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2009, 05:35 AM   #22
JerseyVics
www.FPVregistry.com

WHOA! Thanks for all the links guys... it will be a mad rush for me for the next three weeks to get all my affairs in order! Already paid for insurance a year in advance for my and my parents vehicles so they don't have to worry about it, got to cancel my gym membership so they don't bill me for the next month, and many other minute details that I can't probably do remotely.

I'm not sure how much of the pure backpacker thing I could handle. Yes it is a great way to see australia, but I am addicted to flying and anything to do with the Airliners, so I will attempt to do that whenever possible! I'm a huge fan of JetBlue in the states and I'm hoping Virgin Blue lives up to the hype down under... I always travel light, so other than paying for the TV bit of it, the two seem comperable.

This is not to say I don't enjoy a massive road trip from time to time... in fact you can read about my escapades on my old site: www.myRoadTrip.net which I intend to fill up with Australian stories to share with family and friends soon. I have driven a car for a friend of mine from Salem, Oregon to Houston Texas... and from Miami to New York City as well (picture yellow mustang convertible with black racing stripes and a jet ski on a trailer behind it... hilarious! plus got pulled over in Georgia by the good old boy for having a tail light out! I have a blast on my road trips)

Thank you all so much for your generosity (WizBang you'll have a PM soon, I'm trying to get an upgraded membership here because I'm running out of PM space already, lol)

Hopefully I will get to meet as many of you folks as possible when I'm there! If anyone needs anything form the states, let me know... can't make any promisses but could certainly try to repay the kindness you're showing me... (I know its starting to sound cheesy but its true)

Thanks!

--Russ
Old 17-01-2009, 09:49 AM   #23
JerseyVics
www.FPVregistry.com

What's the best place to stay in the Melbourne area... I'm thinking of flying down for the Geelong All Ford Show and staying for the Drag Racing at Heathcote and of course FPV Open Day.

Should I rent a car? Or will I be able to get around using public transport... if so what would be an ideal central location?

thanks,
--Russ
Old 17-01-2009, 09:59 AM   #24
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

All Ford and Heathcote are around a 4 hour drive apart, you will want a car, no public transport between them.

The RACV website has good travel accomodation advice.
Falcon Coupe is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2009, 02:20 PM   #25
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyVics
What's the best place to stay in the Melbourne area... I'm thinking of flying down for the Geelong All Ford Show and staying for the Drag Racing at Heathcote and of course FPV Open Day.

Should I rent a car? Or will I be able to get around using public transport... if so what would be an ideal central location?

thanks,
--Russ
For the all Ford day it wouldn't be too hard to get a train from Melbourne station down to Geelong, and then a bus or a taxi out to Deakin University where its held. Deakin is about a 10 minute drive from the train station, or if you continue on to Marshall station its a 5 minute drive, but you wouldn't be able to get a bus.

If you get a train it takes you right past the Ford engine and stamping plants and product development offices.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2009, 03:01 PM   #26
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
All Ford and Heathcote are around a 4 hour drive apart, you will want a car, no public transport between them.

The RACV website has good travel accomodation advice.
4 hrs apart what do you drive lol ( just a joke

geelong to heathcote is around -2hrs so add the drive from highton to the road out of town you will be looking at 2hrs 15 mins

JerseyVics if you are still in geelong on the friday of the drags if i am not taking the family to the drags ill have room for a passenger but i am doing it in a night

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2009, 04:51 PM   #27
JerseyVics
www.FPVregistry.com

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
For the all Ford day it wouldn't be too hard to get a train from Melbourne station down to Geelong, and then a bus or a taxi out to Deakin University where its held. Deakin is about a 10 minute drive from the train station, or if you continue on to Marshall station its a 5 minute drive, but you wouldn't be able to get a bus.

If you get a train it takes you right past the Ford engine and stamping plants and product development offices.
Thats good info as it would be ideal for me to stay in Melbourne proper for the ease of finding hostels to spend the night in and search for work during the day + making new friends. I'm sure I could always rent a car too... just need to get used to driving on the wrong side of the street!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimus
4 hrs apart what do you drive lol ( just a joke

geelong to heathcote is around -2hrs so add the drive from highton to the road out of town you will be looking at 2hrs 15 mins

JerseyVics if you are still in geelong on the friday of the drags if i am not taking the family to the drags ill have room for a passenger but i am doing it in a night

Jason
Jason I wouldn't want to be a burden on anyone. We could talk closer to the event date to see if something can be arranged. I'd be happy to pitch in for gas or maybe bring something from the states that could fit into a carryon and won't be confiscated at customs, lol

thanks!

--Russ
Old 17-01-2009, 07:19 PM   #28
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

What are you doing up at this time of night? it must be about 2-3am there!
Old 18-01-2009, 01:38 AM   #29
JerseyVics
www.FPVregistry.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
What are you doing up at this time of night? it must be about 2-3am there!
getting adjusted to prevent jet lag... or something like that...
Old 18-01-2009, 01:40 AM   #30
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Nah. Dont worry about that.

You'll be so busy having fun you wont want to sleep anyway