Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 10-02-2007, 12:54 PM   #31
superpursuit83
KITTY Crew Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcams
When I use to run ETstreets I used 255/50/16's on a widened steel rim (proberly better if you can find a alloy to suite), but of you want to go all out you can use Slicks MT ET drag (26"x8.5"R/26"x4.5"F) with some Weld light weight rims or something similar.
On ET streets you shouldnt have to many dramas with your driveline but with slicks be prepared to break things especially in a manual.
I have a habit of going all out
He who breaks things can only make them stronger. :

BAII Super Pursuit 0083

Awsome power by XTREME FORD TUNING 500rwkw New ALLOY Block

Awesome exhaust by THE EXHAUST CENTRE MIDLAND

Awesome Kenne Bell Supercharger setup by AGRO! and Bluepower Racing Developments

Now with full DOT approval and Permitted for road use
superpursuit83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2007, 09:53 PM   #32
rodderz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMS290
Well done John !!!
Its all in your 60', you just have to be very un sympathetic like Kev to get you 60' down.
He is slamming it into 2nd while the front end is nearly off the ground.
Not my kind of punishment, but thats the way to get quick times in the manuals....Craig will also confirm this !!
yup, you have to be brutal to your gearstick, clutch and diff to get good times

I remember a few runs i had ages ago I was trying to change that fast from 2nd to 3rd i grinded it through without the clutch, on the return road I was almost feeling sorry for it! lol

Before there were short shifters in the 3650's the 2-3 shift was a hit and miss affair, a cause of much %&$@!'s in the cabin!
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2007, 10:55 PM   #33
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Jim has consistently for some time now shared his life, and his passions in his XY GT and more so his FG GT in a way so everyone here feels part of the journey, which helps make AFF such a worthwhile place to be.  An outstanding contributor in my book. 

Johnno- i have to say in all honesty after both driving your car and watching the few runs on Wednesday that it is capable of a 12 with ease.

Firstly, AFAIK the MT's need a bit of a burnout to get the heat in them up- while I could see the officials there seemed to be rushing everyone through, I think getting more heat into those tyres is critical to their effectivness. If you don't want to do a longer burnout or it is an issue (too hard on the car etc) I would look at the Toyo RA-1 for your own set- Simon ran those on his wife's Xr6T and remarked (along with many reviewers) about how quick they got heat up and how sticky they were- they are certainly the ones I'll be getting and around $480 each for 18" if you want to stay at 18" for some reason.

Listening to it and looking at your graph maybe short shifting to second would allow the torque to pull alot harder- I know with my T3 if I short shift second the car just digs in so hard and gets the power down, it isn't hard to get it to break out by letting it rev a bit more but every point of a second the tires are spinning you're not covering ground

The 60' is definately where it is for you mate as you've openly suggested- I would ride that clutch out of the whole at 5,000rpm- you've got the good gear there to take it and it seems that's how the best times are done, maybe it's better on the car too, i don't know

It looks and sounds stunning on the track mate and you are certainly capable of getting a stout time to back it up- if what you're doing isn't working you will need to try something else...........

"You can do it!"
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
jimt3te50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2007, 11:57 PM   #34
rodderz

Yes as above soft compound tyres will need more heat to get grip, if they are used without heat they will be worse than street tyres. How long has your burnout been so far?

You have the 4.11's and plenty of grunt, give it heaps in the burnout box and do the burnout in 2nd and get plenty of smoke. 2nd gear will allow you to get the temp up in the rubber quicker without getting the engine hot too quick
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2007, 12:10 AM   #35
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

I was using 17" M/T ET Streets on mine a while ago before i went full slicks and front runners, and i found tyre pressure anywhere between 16psi to 20psi to be good, depending on the track and temperature.

Get plenty of heat in them on your burnout, but be sure to check them after each run as they can increase by about 2psi after every run.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:56 PM   #36
PhantomXR8
Now a FG XR8 in Nitro

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodderz

Before there were short shifters in the 3650's the 2-3 shift was a hit and miss affair, a cause of much %&$@!'s in the cabin!
Yep, I'm with ya there Rod!
Old 11-02-2007, 07:16 PM   #37
Bren260

strong burn untill you start to feel the tyres grip up and be more brutal coming out of the hole side step it at around 3500 - 3800
Bren260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2007, 02:41 AM   #38
xr8edute
Thats right baby X-rated

Default territory tires on BA Ute rims.

Sorry to steal the thread for a second but....
After having a bit of a go at Whoop A s s Wednesday last year in my ute , i am keen to give it a bit more of a go(now I got the new clutch in the big orange girl).
I ran a best time of 14.84(slow aint it) with a terminal speed of I think about 98mph.
The biggest problem i was having was getting off the line. If i tried to launch my ute with anything above two grand it just lit up. I was thinking that if i had a bigger sidewall profile than the std 235/45-17 that i might be able to get a bit more sidewall flex and get a bit more of a bite on the track. I have trial fitted some territory tires on my rims and fitted them to the ute with no problems so thats what i was going to have a crack with.
I guess what i'm asking for is opinions on weather this will work for me or if anyone else has tried this. i wouldn't mind getting some advice on tyre pressures too.

Cheers
Travis (another dude addicted to drag the good kind of drag)!!!
Ha ha. :

RIP The Gentleman, Peter Brock 1945-2006
I cant believe they demolished that fatefull tree!!!
xr8edute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2007, 11:29 AM   #39
superpursuit83
KITTY Crew Member

Hi Travis, all I can say is give it a go.

We have another proutes drag night this Wednesday, so come on down. Just ask the scrutineers to put the pro-utes lane number on your window

BAII Super Pursuit 0083

Awsome power by XTREME FORD TUNING 500rwkw New ALLOY Block

Awesome exhaust by THE EXHAUST CENTRE MIDLAND

Awesome Kenne Bell Supercharger setup by AGRO! and Bluepower Racing Developments

Now with full DOT approval and Permitted for road use
superpursuit83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2007, 12:25 AM   #40
capriv8

Superpursuit83 I also recomend Toyo RA1s, for a street/drag radial tyre, they are what I use on the Capri and do low 1.6 sixty foot times with 11.65 ETs. Talk to Mark at Bayswater Tyres.
capriv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2007, 03:06 PM   #41
Chris
AFF.com.au

Quote:
Like to hear from anyone that disagrees !!!
I just saw this - I disagree.

Your car can go an average 2mph faster with a change of header.

Chris
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2007, 03:13 PM   #42
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
I just saw this - I disagree.

Your car can go an average 2mph faster with a change of header.

Chris
I was running 114-116mph at Heathcote last time i was up there, that was into that 20k headwind, i have no doubt it will pick up 1 or 2mph in ideal conditions.

Too many variables to compare, i think i am the only pacemaker car into the 11's NA ???
Every other car has been running De fillipo, we will try and smash my 11.89 next time out, no doubt it will if the conditions are good.
Old 13-03-2007, 12:27 PM   #43
Bluepower
KenneBell Australia

Quote:
I was running 114-116mph at Heathcote last time i was up there, that was into that 20k headwind, i have no doubt it will pick up 1 or 2mph in ideal conditions.

Too many variables to compare, i think i am the only pacemaker car into the 11's NA ???
Every other car has been running De fillipo, we will try and smash my 11.89 next time out, no doubt it will if the conditions are good.
Absoloutely Cam, u are the only NA 11sec deal with Paceys - my comment was based on my own testing with Paceys. Have you tried Difilippo? I dont sell exhaust systems, so i only use what makes the car go quick.

Bluepower Racing Developments

Proud Australian Distributors of Kenne Bell superchargers
The Quickest, The Fastest, The Baddest Boss Blower of all.

www.bluepower.com.au

Bluepower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post