Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 10-09-2011, 06:09 PM   #1
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Ford Fiesta Manual Diesel

Hi All,

Am thinking of purchasing a New fiesta LX Diesel Manual. Test drove today and was impressed with the smoothness and power.. Plus comfort..

I travel about 90kms a day in a mixture of 80km/h stretches then alot of very heavy traffic. 45kms each way. Am wondering what sort of fuel economy i could expect and what other diesel owners are achieving..

I dont push my current fiesta hard and get between 6.5 and 7.3L per 100kms. which is good. So any better than 5.5 to 100kms in the diesel would be enough to sway me to purchase.

Thanks for your help.

fiestaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2011, 07:05 PM   #2
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Ford Fiesta Manual Diesel

Not many diesel's in here yet. but if you look through the threads there are a couple of diesel owners here. Seemed to be getting in the 4ltr range from memory.
GoesLikeAZetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2011, 11:21 PM   #3
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ahh ok.... i was reading a review on Cnet. They said in really heavy grid lock traffic they were averaging abuut 9l to 100kms.... which is very much backwards to what im in now... and about half of my trip is in that sort of traffic
Old 10-09-2011, 11:36 PM   #4
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Doubt a fiesta diesel would use 9ltrs/100km in heavy traffic.
I have a 2 ltr TDCI Focus -on freeway work it does 5-5.2 and round the suburbs through messy traffic and short trips its 6.5 ltrs/100km.
Thats a 15% increase. The 1.6 and 2 ltr diesels are related -both Ford/Peugeot designs.
Guessing Fiesta does 4.7 freeway and suburbs stuff messy traffic about 5.9/6ltrs/100kms.
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2011, 12:18 AM   #5
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hmm yeh i see your point there...

its the only thing im sort of trying to work out... either a diesel LX manual or a petrol Zetec manual.... i was all for the diesel, but am thinking of going for the petrol zetec. as thats what i current have so i therefore know what to be expecting.... not uncharted territory if you guy get what i mean..
Old 11-09-2011, 02:19 AM   #6
Caydus

Well, i hear the diesels have massive torque, you could even just trundle around town in 3rd to save petrol, errr diesel...
Caydus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2011, 10:13 AM   #7
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Do some sums. The diesels are more expensive to service. About $500 more per 60000kms.
However if you do big kms per year fuel savings will assist.
If you are doing motorway work the diesel has bags more torque-if you are doing traffic driving the petrol is quicker off the mark.
horses for courses-both great cars.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:05 PM   #8
Fiesta God
Ford Fiesta

I'd buy the diesel if you're doing 90kms a day (450-500kms a week).

People are easily achieving 4.5L/100kms on the highway with the diesel, and around town it seems to be about 6L/100kms ...

Keep in mind that a diesel engine usually takes 10-15,000kms to properly run in, and you may find that fuel economy takes a while to settle down when you first buy it.

There is no way you will get 9L/100km around town. That's ridiculous. You would have to drive in first gear at 50km/h.
Fiesta God is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2011, 12:15 PM   #9
Moorie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino
Do some sums. The diesels are more expensive to service. About $500 more per 60000kms.
Using the Ford 'myFord capped price servicing' on the Ford website, there is only $5- differance between diesel/petrol servicing, with the exception of the 60,000km service which is $200- dearer for the diesel.
Not as big a difference as I thought either - Ford maybe subsidising it to increase sales??

Moorie.
Moorie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2011, 12:52 PM   #10
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The wife's petrol auto gets about 8.5L/100km around town, and it quite often just goes to the shops and back. On the free/highway it gets into the 5's, so I'd expect the diesel to beat both figures by about 2L/100km.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2011, 03:45 PM   #11
asdf1234

Kinda hijacking thread now but on the topic of fuel economy. I do like 11L/100km in WP fiesta. Is there something wrong or is it my lead foot. Travel is usually a good mix of stop start, small streets with turns and highways.
asdf1234 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2011, 07:17 PM   #12
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf1234
Kinda hijacking thread now but on the topic of fuel economy. I do like 11L/100km in WP fiesta. Is there something wrong or is it my lead foot. Travel is usually a good mix of stop start, small streets with turns and highways.

11L per 100kms?? Sounds like something is wrong... i do those km's in very heavy traffic, crawling usually for the last half hour of my journey and get 7.5 at the worst.....

Thanks for all your input guys, has helped alot. I went and drove a petrol one today, a zetec at that and loved it. it was good, i do admit i miss the torque of the diesel, but it sounded better, felt better and i feel it suits me better. Plus i know what to expect fuel economy wise and can budget for it.

Furthermore i can afford to get a Zetec Petrol, instead of a LX Diesel.

Right now its a case of talking price. They have a 5 Door Zetec Petrol Manual, with floor mats, In grey which is the colour i want for 21990 in their showroom. I have found a black equivalent, exactly the same for $1000 less, and a phantom blue one for $1500 less.... Tried to explain what i found and that they should be trying to beat it, but they were arguing they couldnt find it on carsales. I came home and found them straight away so i will be sending the links to them to show what else i can get out there. $20500 or less for a brand new 2011 WT Fiesta Zetec Manual i think is a good deal.... So will see how i go...
Old 11-09-2011, 07:59 PM   #13
Caydus

Quote:
Owch, I can say I'm getting similar results to In Focus's Fiesta too. Even a lead foot shouldn't make it that high.
Caydus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2011, 08:56 PM   #14
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Focus
The wife's petrol auto gets about 8.5L/100km around town, and it quite often just goes to the shops and back. On the free/highway it gets into the 5's, so I'd expect the diesel to beat both figures by about 2L/100km.
I do constant highway driving, I don't drive like a lead food but I'm averaging about 5.2L/100km 90% highway work in my TDCI Focus.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2011, 10:07 PM   #15
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestaz
I have found a black equivalent, exactly the same for $1000 less, and a phantom blue one for $1500 less.... Tried to explain what i found and that they should be trying to beat it, but they were arguing they couldnt find it on carsales. I came home and found them straight away so i will be sending the links to them to show what else i can get out there. $20500 or less for a brand new 2011 WT Fiesta Zetec Manual i think is a good deal.... So will see how i go...
They are just fobbing you off mate. If they are the exact same spec car and they wont come to the party, you have to be prepared to leave and go to the other dealer. If they wont even try to price match for the sale, imagine what they'd be like to deal with after for servicing and warranty stuff.
GoesLikeAZetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2011, 01:40 AM   #16
asdf1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caydus
Owch, I can say I'm getting similar results to In Focus's Fiesta too. Even a lead foot shouldn't make it that high.
Anyone with any ideas why I'm eating so much petrol then? Don't think it's leaking and just had it NRMA 40 point safety inspected as well as pre-purchase check a year ago. Apparently all should be fine....
Old 12-09-2011, 01:44 AM   #17
asdf1234

I KNOW! Must be dodgy fuel pumps. Dirty, dirty caltex station. Anyone find this plausible? WP fiesta doesn't actually have a fuel consumption thing so I do it by recording odom manually as well as how much I fill up. Maybe I'm filling up much less than I think I am....
Old 12-09-2011, 04:52 AM   #18
south21

Quote:
I KNOW! Must be dodgy fuel pumps. Dirty, dirty caltex station. Anyone find this plausible? WP fiesta doesn't actually have a fuel consumption thing so I do it by recording odom manually as well as how much I fill up. Maybe I'm filling up much less than I think I am....

Funny you say that, I took my lawn mower can to be filled up it holds 4 litres and it took 4.5 litres work that one out, of course I complained.

On another note, try this next time you are at a garage, try putting in a couple of cents of petrol at the beginning of your fill up, you cannot, some pumps jump 7cents especially the woolies and coles ones, and the independants jump 14 cents, don't take my word for it try it your self, and being a courier I go to a lot of garages.

Sorry for hijacking the thread a bit.
south21 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2011, 02:37 PM   #19
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
WP fiesta doesn't actually have a fuel consumption thing so I do it by recording odom manually as well as how much I fill up. Maybe I'm filling up much less than I think I am....
My XR4 uses 8.5L and my average speed according to the on board computer is 37km/h .. I only use the car to get to work in the City and back, something either very wrong with your WP or your calculations must be out a bit.
robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2011, 10:25 PM   #20
asdf1234

What could be wrong? I really have no idea.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:27 PM   #21
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well..... deposit has been placed.....

The dealership i test drove with wouldnt come to the party price wise. the best they would do is 20800. I rang another dealer where the black one at 20990 was located to see what they could do. They said they would match the 20500 i found on carsales. BUT... they had a registered un driven demo, in the grey colour i wanted. Been registered 2 months, still in the pre delivery yard. 2011 Ford Fiesta Zetec manual, metro grey, mats, full tank of fuel, 0 kms on clock... 19990 Drive away.

Very happy with that, picking up saturday week. very excited and happy i did the research and the ring around... the original dealer was stunned i found it.

Happy customer.
Old 13-09-2011, 09:13 AM   #22
Moorie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestaz
2011 Ford Fiesta Zetec manual, metro grey, mats, full tank of fuel, 0 kms on clock... 19990 Drive away.
Happy customer.
That's an awesome price, you should be happy.
Moorie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2011, 04:19 PM   #23
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
stop start driving with lots of turns and an energetic right foot will bump the consumption up considerably, try driving like grandpa for a couple of weeks and check consumption again.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2011, 09:56 PM   #24
Twinpiston
Finally rollin on 20's

Throw sum premium through it to give it a clean, check the leads and spark plugs for fouling and clean the air filter, I was stunned how much crap was sitting in the airbox of my old WQ....

I have an XR4 which is sitting on 6.5 average and it has been tuned, 60km's a day round trip.
K&N, F6 Snorkel, Debung, 20" Enix Turbine in Gunmetal, 7 seat rear springs.
Twinpiston is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2011, 10:37 PM   #25
asdf1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinpiston
Throw sum premium through it to give it a clean, check the leads and spark plugs for fouling and clean the air filter, I was stunned how much crap was sitting in the airbox of my old WQ....

I have an XR4 which is sitting on 6.5 average and it has been tuned, 60km's a day round trip.
I do use premium lol. No premium its close to 12L/100km
Old 24-10-2011, 10:50 PM   #26
orli
Starter Motor

Hi all. I am a new and excited member. I just scored myself a bargain! Purchased the fiesta WT LX diesel sedan for a ridiculous price of $17,400.00. It was the last of the run out of the new model. Loving the chilli orange colour too. Kind of ironic that I'll be picking it up on my birthday being halloween and in that colour!
Here's my question. I've done a bit of researsh on this topic and have yet to find a difinitive answer, so please help. What brand of diesel should I put in my car. Is there much of a muchness between brands and are the premium brands worth the extra cost. Please only respond if you know your caper as I have no idea and plan to look after my car well.
Also are there any things I should know about that people might have only stumbled on late within the car. Wanting as much information as I possibly can get. Greatly appreciate it and will report back again once I drive my baby! Kind regards, Orli!
orli is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2011, 08:19 AM   #27
Foobar
Irregular Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orli
What brand of diesel should I put in my car. Is there much of a muchness between brands and are the premium brands worth the extra cost.
First of all, congrats on the purchase, it's a great car and a brilliant engine combo. I don't know why the diesel gets overlooked by most purchasers, I can't tell I'm driving a diesel 95+% of the time and the economy is great - 4.3L per 100k's, traveled near 6000k's since new. Remember that the redline on a diesel is a lot lower, you don't need to thrash the hell out of it for it to perform. If you've come from a petrol based car, you'll probably have to adjust your driving style a tad.

Now, onto fuel. I've had my WT TDCi since Feb and have tried a few different fuels and honestly, noticed nothing between them. I have since settled on Caltex Vortex as it's nearly always cheaper than the rest and that's also what's closest to home. No harm in giving the major brands a try for yourself but to me it did seem to be all the same.
Foobar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2011, 12:34 PM   #28
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Buy BP Ultimate or Caltex Vortex -you will get slightly better economy and the engine runs better and smoother. Dont go the other brands.
Old 25-10-2011, 08:11 PM   #29
orli
Starter Motor

Oh thanks guys. The vortex is a premium brand. Is it cheaper than the other premium brands or just cheaper in general. Thanks for all the helpful info.
orli is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2011, 08:26 PM   #30
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Depends where you buy it. I buy the BP at a BP franchise run by an Indian guy and he is very very good with his price. Caltex can be a tad high - try the big high volume Caltex and BP places as well and there is usually a slow flow diesel place at the medium truck stops too... dont try the high flow or super flow pumps it doesnt work unless the Ford dealer gave you a funnel type thing...and a pair of gloves in the boot are good, diesel pumps are grubby and dirty...get it on your hands and next thing its on the door handles steering wheel gear stick etc.