Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 15-08-2011, 02:39 PM   #31
Anchor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: WT Fiesta issues

Lol @ octane booster. If only you could see the inside of your motor after using it more than once every 20 or so tanks....
67 SS Nova Coupe. Iron AES 398 LS. T56. 2x 72mm T-netics BB. TCI Pro Touring F&R Clip. Streetfighter Project. 1200hp
73 Z28 RS Camaro. 6.0 LS. Coilovers. 18x9 / 18x10.
Anchor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2011, 02:55 PM   #32
trumpy73

what does it do?
trumpy73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2011, 05:59 PM   #33
Anchor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I used to use it on my XR6t to stop pinging under load in hot weather. Ended up doing some timing gear damage and the head had to come off.

It was orange on the inside. Think rust orange and times it by 10. Thats how orange and gunky it was in the combustion chambers and on the top of the pistons. Not good.
67 SS Nova Coupe. Iron AES 398 LS. T56. 2x 72mm T-netics BB. TCI Pro Touring F&R Clip. Streetfighter Project. 1200hp
73 Z28 RS Camaro. 6.0 LS. Coilovers. 18x9 / 18x10.
Anchor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2011, 12:54 PM   #34
trumpy73

Hey Fiesta Man, Just out of interest, have you tried going one step colder on the spark plugs? to see if it will improve pinging.

After doing a LOT of research I discovered that the iridium equivelant of the stock plugs (copper) is the ITV16 (denso brand. I know there's others).

ITV16 is essentially the same heat range as the NGK '5' or Bosch '8' series which are standard on the WS Fiesta. I've gone one step colder and ordered an ITV20 (although I probably could have gone to 22) which would run a little colder to see if it makes a difference.

Will report back once it arrives and installed but seeing that you have been pretty involved with the pinging issue I was just wondering if you have been advised or researched going a little colder.
Old 19-08-2011, 04:27 PM   #35
Padre1950
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GXL Guy
Hey all,
Looking at buying a WT Fiesta for the Mrs. I've read that some owners have issues with pinging (which is disappointing), but are there any other issues that I should be aware of before committing to this purchase? Thanks
I've got a new Fiesta Zetec, done 8000 km.
It was pinging a fair bit on unleaded 91 but it's been OK since going to 95.
Ford Service guy said that these engines are just not happy with 91 because the quality of that fuel cannot be trusted and to never, ever use E10.
Seems he was right. Otherwise just a fabulous little car to drive.
I wouldn't bother with the Zetec again because the ride can be a bit harsh with the 45 section tyres - go for the LX which has everything the Zetec has.
Wait till the new 3 cylinder turbo comes out. Waht a little ripper that will be.
Padre1950 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2011, 07:45 PM   #36
Caydus

Yea, the tyres are a little flatter in the Zetec, but only just by just a bit, according to Redbook, the Zetec has 195/50 R16 wheels while the LX and CL use 185/55 R15.
It's probably the sports suspension that the Zetec has which the LX/CL don't which is causing the ride harshness.

One thing that the Zetec has which my LX doesn't which im feeling the hurt on, is the Bluetooth audio and USB iPod connectivity. Can't control anything on the wheel except for volume, have to reach down and skip through tracks on my iPhone, while in AUX mode.
All the chrome trim and doodads is just nice gravy, but yea, an extra $2,000 for just iPod connectivity, if you don't care much for the sports suspension and the bling is probably a bit much.
Caydus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2011, 07:46 PM   #37
Caydus

Oh yea, the OP has bought something already :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by GXL Guy
Hey all,
Thanks for all the feedback. In the end I didn't buy the fiesta, as we took the XR5 turbo for a spin (and then another & another) and were totally sold on it. I know it's in a different league to the fiesta, but after driving it, we just couldn't go back.
Old 20-08-2011, 08:00 AM   #38
Lewy

Easy fix get the diesel.. Way better to drive, more power and NO pinging ;-)

But the XR5 would be a LOT of fun to
Old 20-08-2011, 08:27 AM   #39
Padre1950
Starter Motor

What you say about the tyre size is very interesting. The specs say 195/50R16, but mine has 195/45R16's fitted. The Fiesta brochures say 50's so I'm at a loss to say what's going on. The salesman said that the Zetec is built in Germany and other models in Thailand. The tyres are Continentals. My feeling is that they are fitting an unusual size tyre so that you will need to buy new ones at a Ford dealer. I have priced these tyres at about $350 each whereas an equivalent Bridgestone etc is about $190 at Bob Jane's.
Old 20-08-2011, 08:35 AM   #40
Moorie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padre1950
195/50R16
Just had a look and this is the size that my WT Zetec have fitted (Conti's). Does your ride have factory rims?
Moorie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2011, 08:39 AM   #41
Padre1950
Starter Motor

I think so. They are the same as the ones I have seen on lots of Zetecs so I'm presuming they are.
Old 20-08-2011, 08:52 AM   #42
Padre1950
Starter Motor

I think so. They are the same as the ones I have seen on lots of Zetecs so I'm presuming they are.
Old 21-08-2011, 02:08 AM   #43
Caydus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padre1950
The salesman said that the Zetec is built in Germany and other models in Thailand.
I had thought that the entire WT range was built in Thailand now, as opposed to the WS ranged made in Germany.

Redbook seems to think so too

I have a feeling you got a WS Zetec instead of a WT. The WS runs 195/45 R16 tyres.
I guess you can check the backs of your rear seats. If they're carpeted, it's a WT, if it's black paint, then it's a WS. If the dash is hard plastic, it's a WT, if it's the "soft touch" dash, i guess kind of stuffed with some foam or whatever, it's a WS.

Last edited by Caydus; 21-08-2011 at 02:33 AM.
Old 30-08-2011, 10:31 AM   #44
Dgalle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caydus
I had thought that the entire WT range was built in Thailand now, as opposed to the WS ranged made in Germany.

Redbook seems to think so too

I have a feeling you got a WS Zetec instead of a WT. The WS runs 195/45 R16 tyres.
I guess you can check the backs of your rear seats. If they're carpeted, it's a WT, if it's black paint, then it's a WS. If the dash is hard plastic, it's a WT, if it's the "soft touch" dash, i guess kind of stuffed with some foam or whatever, it's a WS.
Redbook also seems to think that the WT Zetec started produciton in October 2010 - whereas mine was built in Jun 2010.

Other ways to check if it's a WS vs WT:

WT has storage tray under passenger seat
WT has chrome do-dads on front bumber
WS has telescopic adjustable steering wheel
WS has spare wheel - WT has "recovery pack" with compressor and goo

2010 WT Fiesta Zetec, phantom blue.
Dgalle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2011, 03:25 PM   #45
trumpy73

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpy73
Hey Fiesta Man, Just out of interest, have you tried going one step colder on the spark plugs? to see if it will improve pinging.

After doing a LOT of research I discovered that the iridium equivelant of the stock plugs (copper) is the ITV16 (denso brand. I know there's others).

ITV16 is essentially the same heat range as the NGK '5' or Bosch '8' series which are standard on the WS Fiesta. I've gone one step colder and ordered an ITV20 (although I probably could have gone to 22) which would run a little colder to see if it makes a difference.

Will report back once it arrives and installed but seeing that you have been pretty involved with the pinging issue I was just wondering if you have been advised or researched going a little colder.

If anyone's interested, I've had the ping issues since day one and going to 98 didn't make a difference, although it made it better.

I ended up getting the one step colder plugs (as above) and within 2 weeks the pinging is gone using 98 caltex. We'll see how long it lasts and whether it'll come back during the hotter months but so far so good.
Old 23-10-2011, 04:17 PM   #46
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Would be good to know if that fixes it: Ford CRC maintains that pinging is a 'characteristic' of the car......

How much were the colder plugs?
Fiesta_Man69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2011, 04:20 PM   #47
trumpy73

All up $40. I figured it's worth a shot. Of course I have no proof however I still think those who claim their cars don't ping don't listen carefully enough.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/260825865133#ht_1039wt_1064
Old 24-10-2011, 11:31 AM   #48
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Thanks, let us know how they go in this warmer weather over the next week or so. Hopefully its a fix.
Fiesta_Man69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2011, 12:46 PM   #49
trumpy73

Actually I take it back. I drove the car during the day (warmer) and it's still there. Better but not eliminated.