Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 30-07-2005, 12:59 PM   #1
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Default Things that have gone downhill with time!

Had my normal Four-n-Twenty pie & a (plastic) bottle of Fanta for morning tea this morning, and it got me thinking! ...
How stuff has gone downhill so much... I mean A Four-n-Twenty yrs ago came in a foil tray, with fresh tasty pastry & full of MEAT... NOW, it's a teeth-breakin, burnt bottomed, "container", half full of some brown slop!.. AND the Fanta!!... Remember when Fanta came in a GLASS bottle (with the rings around it) AND had a real orange "zing" to it? Todays Fanta has NO resemblance to the original!... COKE's also changed, has no "bite" to it whatsoever anymore.
Another that comes to mind is the Western Wagon wheel... Remember when they were about 6inches in diameter and 3/4 of an inch thick (and were 10c)...you struggled to eat a whole one?.. Check the size now!
The new Maccas buns are anothery... A quarterpounder was "bland" enough before, try one nowadays...WHAT did they do to the damn buns??
Choc coated icecreams!.. Remember the original Heart, or even the good old Two-in-One?.. The absolute smoothest vanilla icecream & Chocolate that TASTED like chocolate!....

2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2005, 01:08 PM   #2
Shonky
my other ride is the bus.

We are victims of our own consumerism...

A lot of things just aren't made the way they used to be. Foodstuffs being a major one.

+ Lots of Land Rovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourbastard
Edelbrock.... not Peter Brock. Theres a world of difference. For a start my heads have much less gum tree in them.
Shonky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2005, 01:10 PM   #3
rob_o

Yeah generally food has gone downhill, especially take-away. I dont like eating maccas anymore, not only because it tastes like sh*t, but because the burgers are getting smaller and smaller.
rob_o is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2005, 01:36 PM   #4
SWOOP
XRSVO

I say bring back the SUNNY BOY ,it was damn best thing for 30 cents
SWOOP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2005, 01:53 PM   #5
LuvinmyEB
Beware of mood swings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWOOP
I say bring back the SUNNY BOY ,it was damn best thing for 30 cents
30c? You were getting ripped, I was paying 15c for them. :
You can still get them at supermarkets.

I hate take away food now, I only eat it if I'm out and really need to eat something (low blood sugars) and it's the only thing around. Anyone tasted a chicken burger with bacon and cheese from KFC lately? HELLO TASTE????
Old 30-07-2005, 02:00 PM   #6
Cheahman
BOSS 260

I swear the bacon deluxe burgers i get from hungry jacks get smaller and smaller everytime i get one, funny how the price then goes up too :

BA XR8
EB XR8
Cheahman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2005, 02:26 PM   #7
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

My main job at work is changing prices and ticketing, and the number of items a day that go up in price is horrible. Most of the time it's only one or 2 cents up, but I think that's sneaky.
Then they delete all your favourite items, and bring them back "new and improved" (usually just new packaging) but they are 5 or 10 grams/mls smaller, and the price is higher. I hate having to do it.

On Monday, the govt. excise is going up on all cigarettes and alcohol.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2005, 02:42 PM   #8
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I agree with your comments on Fanta. When I was a kid Fanta was so fizzy it would feel like the bubbles were burning your tongue, but now its really flat and unfizzy.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2005, 02:59 PM   #9
rodderz

four n twenty are rubbish these days, go the Mrs Mac or Balfour's!
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2005, 05:41 PM   #10
Shonky

I just gave up and got my mum to teach me how to make my own pies.

I know exactly whats in them and I don't get ripped off.

We buy all our meat in bulk and make our own pastry so it works out real cheap. Also you can make 'em as big as your biggest pan will fit!

+ Lots of Land Rovers

Quote:
Edelbrock.... not Peter Brock. Theres a world of difference. For a start my heads have much less gum tree in them.
Old 30-07-2005, 05:43 PM   #11
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young 'un
I just gave up and got my mum to teach me how to make my own pies.

I know exactly whats in them and I don't get ripped off.

We buy all our meat in bulk and make our own pastry so it works out real cheap. Also you can make 'em as big as your biggest pan will fit!
And you'll freely share them with Minge and I wont you! (note the use of ! instead of ? .... this was NOT a question)

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2005, 05:45 PM   #12
Shonky

Of course I will casper!

I notice that you didn't specify how you would like me to share them with you, so if it ends up all over you dont say I didn't warn you!

+ Lots of Land Rovers

Quote:
Old 30-07-2005, 05:48 PM   #13
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young 'un
Of course I will casper!

I notice that you didn't specify how you would like me to share them with you, so if it ends up all over you dont say I didn't warn you!
thats cool...

now I'm just going to go look for new and interesting avatars.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2005, 06:17 PM   #14
GTFORDMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodderz

yea Mrs Macs pies are in my opinion the best take away pies you can buy, they have gone down in quality in the past couple of years (or maby im just getting to use to eating them :-D ) but there still the best, im hooked on the potato toped beef pie
GTFORDMAN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2005, 06:26 PM   #15
The MaDDeSTMaN
No longer driving a Ford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodderz
I agree, four n twenty pies, in particular their 'meat' pies, I wouldn't consider fit for human consumption. Balfours or Mrs Macs pies are heaps better, but even better still is when you find a local bakery that makes good pies - like Seargents bakery on Edwards st in Reservoir.

Anybody tried anything from that new chain, jesters pies?
The MaDDeSTMaN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2005, 06:28 PM   #16
FordFan86
meow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathers
Where i worked jumped the gun and put them up friday... damn 5 x 6 x 7 (on average) is a hell of a lot of cigarette labels to remove and replace. I noticed up to 30c on some brands... also a few lines being discontinued and being told to tell customers "try this one, it has similar taste" which has been marked up a bit more over the older line.
Lucky i don't smoke.
FordFan86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2005, 06:38 PM   #17
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFan86
Where i worked jumped the gun and put them up friday... damn 5 x 6 x 7 (on average) is a hell of a lot of cigarette labels to remove and replace.
We're doing it before the store opens on Monday. Lucky me has 2 cigarette displays and a Liquor store to reticket, on top of my usual Monday ticketing for all the specials for the week.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

Old 30-07-2005, 06:43 PM   #18
GRNKPR
DPC PERFORMANCE Race prep

[QUOTE=The MaDDeSTMaN]I agree, four n twenty pies, in particular their 'meat' pies, I wouldn't consider fit for human consumption. Balfours or Mrs Macs pies are heaps better, but even better still is when you find a local bakery that makes good pies - like Seargents bakery on Edwards st in Reservoir

Sargent s pies are awsome i used to live in reservior for 26 years now im in Bundoora 10 mins away and i will still drive to Sargents and sausage rolls are good to :thebirds: :thebirds: :thebirds: :thebirds: :thebirds:

FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria

Ford Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car Club
GRNKPR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2005, 06:48 PM   #19
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

the old days

50 cents worth of lollies would fill a brown sandwich bag
If you were feeling flush you'd pay the 2 cents for a redskin and the thing would help remove your infant teeth.

Or the sherbet straws for 10 cents, they were a foot long and contained enough sugar to keep the Qld cane farmers in business.

Real Coke in the little steele cans, THe flavoured mineral water soft drink had the two round push button tabs,, the little one to stop the glug glug from overwhelmling you with the bubble syndrome that burnt the insides of your mouth all the way to your nose.

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2005, 06:58 PM   #20
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Just about all food has gone downhill. Macca's is just rubbish, i know it wasnt always great food but these day's it's awful (ill stick to my hormone infect Red Rooster).

As for the meat pie's 4 n 20 & Seargeants are going downhill, whenever i eat them i almost always choke on burnt chunks of grisle. Maybe I'm just to picky, after all I've been known to drive 60kms (each way) to Raymond Terrace for a pie.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2005, 07:31 PM   #21
The MaDDeSTMaN

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRNKPR
Sargent s pies are awsome i used to live in reservior for 26 years now im in Bundoora 10 mins away and i will still drive to Sargents and sausage rolls are good to :thebirds: :thebirds: :thebirds: :thebirds: :thebirds:
And here I was thinking nobody would know where I was talking about... :hihi:

Oh, and that little bakery has NOTHING to do with any brand name that happens to call themselves Sargents.
Old 30-07-2005, 08:26 PM   #22
LuvinmyEB
Beware of mood swings!

The pies, pasties and sausage rolls from the bakery at Sovereign Hill. I'd drive there and back every day to get one or two.
Pity that the admission fee is so damn expensive.
Old 30-07-2005, 08:54 PM   #23
The MaDDeSTMaN

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvinmyEB
The pies, pasties and sausage rolls from the bakery at Sovereign Hill. I'd drive there and back every day to get one or two.
Pity that the admission fee is so damn expensive.
: How could I forget there?!? They have some incredibly good food there at that bakery! :

What the world needs are more GOOD bakeries
Old 30-07-2005, 09:22 PM   #24
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathers
My main job at work is changing prices and ticketing, and the number of items a day that go up in price is horrible. Most of the time it's only one or 2 cents up, but I think that's sneaky.
Then they delete all your favourite items, and bring them back "new and improved" (usually just new packaging) but they are 5 or 10 grams/mls smaller, and the price is higher. I hate having to do it.

Thanks for that the only two little luxuries I have and there going up again,now is this state or nation wide?

As for pies I've got a great little bakery just down the road and they make a great bacon pie,along with the rest of their range..onion.onion and tomatoe,cheese,potatoe...etc..etc.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2005, 09:30 PM   #25
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McMaster
Thanks for that the only two little luxuries I have and there going up again,now is this state or nation wide?
I'm guessing that if FordFan86 has alreday done it at his work it will be a nation wide increase

Old 30-07-2005, 10:08 PM   #26
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

I blame little beady eyed share holders, always demanding more, and the pandering CEO's that continually strip their companies products bare to feed the companies and share holders greed.

They have substituted quality for sheer volume in so many products its no longer a joke. When I can I prefer to go to the local Fish and Chip shop near where i work(Nothing better then hot fresh cut chips) and when on a cruise up north I always stop at the Gawler Bakery, who have something like 20 variations on home made pies(Even Cold Pork Pies).

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2005, 10:21 PM   #27
Gammaboy
Grinder+Welder = Race car

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
I blame little beady eyed share holders, always demanding more, and the pandering CEO's that continually strip their companies products bare to feed the companies and share holders greed.

They have substituted quality for sheer volume in so many products its no longer a joke. When I can I prefer to go to the local Fish and Chip shop near where i work(Nothing better then hot fresh cut chips) and when on a cruise up north I always stop at the Gawler Bakery, who have something like 20 variations on home made pies(Even Cold Pork Pies).
Or the Bakery at Port Wakefield! I miss my days of going for a fang in the Adelaide hills and sampling the various little bakerys....
Old 31-07-2005, 08:38 AM   #28
NAK302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliewool
Had my normal Four-n-Twenty pie & a (plastic) bottle of Fanta for morning tea this morning, and it got me thinking! ...
How stuff has gone downhill so much... I mean A Four-n-Twenty yrs ago came in a foil tray, with fresh tasty pastry & full of MEAT... NOW, it's a teeth-breakin, burnt bottomed, "container", half full of some brown slop!.. AND the Fanta!!... Remember when Fanta came in a GLASS bottle (with the rings around it) AND had a real orange "zing" to it? Todays Fanta has NO resemblance to the original!... COKE's also changed, has no "bite" to it whatsoever anymore.
Another that comes to mind is the Western Wagon wheel... Remember when they were about 6inches in diameter and 3/4 of an inch thick (and were 10c)...you struggled to eat a whole one?.. Check the size now!
The new Maccas buns are anothery... A quarterpounder was "bland" enough before, try one nowadays...WHAT did they do to the damn buns??
Choc coated icecreams!.. Remember the original Heart, or even the good old Two-in-One?.. The absolute smoothest vanilla icecream & Chocolate that TASTED like chocolate!....

i remember when bottles of bourbon were 750ml. then all of a sudden they were 700ml with the same price as the bigger one.
but then if i invested in JB's i'd expect a healthy return and wouldn't mind how it came.
NAK302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2005, 10:29 AM   #29
Angry Beaver
Beaver fever

hey they did it to bundy too. It went up in price and also went down by 50ml. As far as i am concerned its still a glass missing. But seriously the pies that are store bought these days are so bad that i wouldnt feed them to a dog. The pricing on things is getting silly. Thats why I try and avoid buying alot of that stuff now. It works out cheaper if i make it myself then buying it and also has more flavour and less preservitives. Even some of the bakeries are really trimming things down now. Some of there pies are not much better. But lets face it. People will pay it and thats all that counts to the big people. But seriously forgo the buying and make your own.
Angry Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2005, 10:43 AM   #30
aimzes
...fairly odd

Quote:
As for pies I've got a great little bakery just down the road and they make a great bacon pie,along with the rest of their range..onion.onion and tomatoe,cheese,potatoe...etc..etc.
yeah when it comes to pies the old family owned bakery kicks the sh*t out of the big guys, as does the small family owned burger shop. we have this burger shop where you can get a cheesburger, big chips and a 600ml coke for LESS than a big mac meal. and it actually fills you up.

last trip to the cricket turned me off pies i think they wanted $5-6? for one and it was sh*t. $2.50 from the bakery with chunks of beef, and a nice ammount of gravy.

...lol i think ive just sorted out what im having for lunch.