Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 15-01-2007, 02:37 AM   #1
eb91xr6
V8 Ute V8 Boat

Default EA wont start

got a EA 3 days ago its a station wagon EA 5 speed 1989 build cpi and had it running on gas and theres a few issues besides been a EA only payed $400 for it with 3 moths rego few specs it has

lsd
245 on 12 sloters
5 speed
new gearbox 3 months old and clutch
rebuilt at 260,000kms now at 323,xxx
cpi

and thats stock parts

having a few issues

1. it wont work on petrol only gas, how do you get them to run on petrol would it need a new set of injectors,?

2. had it for a few days and now it wont start, not getting any spark, is this a common issue with a EA what could be the issue,

its just a thrasher till i get a new car as im pulling mine apart, and going to be buying somthing nicer later, but help would be apriciated,

thanks
Tom

125 Thumpster 2010
Swag
All set for the weekend
eb91xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2007, 10:46 AM   #2
KaptnKaos
KAOS IS RANDOM ORDER

260,000 kms and no spark ....... now why does that sound familiar? Oh yea!! It happened to me 6 weeks ago!
Apparently EA's (especially the CPI's) have a habit of burning out distributors every couple of hundred thousand k's. That's where I'd start. If it is the distributor, get the coil done too! When the distributor craps itself it can cause a spike through the coil.

DISCLAIMER: I'm just a dumb computer geek. I know NOTHING (zip, zero, zilch, nada) about cars. All of the above is word for word what the sparky told me when I got mine fixed.
KaptnKaos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2007, 11:12 AM   #3
eb91xr6
V8 Ute V8 Boat

thaught it saw that but any one know how to get it to run on petrol because as soon as i switch it to petrol it chough's and spluters and stalls,
125 Thumpster 2010
Swag
All set for the weekend
Old 15-01-2007, 11:35 AM   #4
syktlr
stktlr

try changing the soliniodes under the hood as this will only alow car to run on gas if they are stuffed.there the white plastice ones
Old 15-01-2007, 12:25 PM   #5
KaptnKaos
KAOS IS RANDOM ORDER

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb91xr6
thaught it saw that but any one know how to get it to run on petrol because as soon as i switch it to petrol it chough's and spluters and stalls,
That was one of my symptoms. It wouldn't change fuels. I don't really understand why, but the sparky said that there is some electronic gizmo thingy (he told me what it was called but I can't remember) on either the distributor or coil (again, can't remember) that helps the car fire according to which fuel it is switched to.

When I replaced coil & dizzy it all ran great on either fuel.

The same disclaimer applies! I'm just taking John (sparky) at his word. LOL
KaptnKaos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2007, 09:52 PM   #6
eb91xr6
V8 Ute V8 Boat

well we had the RAA look at it and he said it could be the coil any one had to replace one and a aprox cost on it
125 Thumpster 2010
Swag
All set for the weekend
Old 16-01-2007, 01:27 AM   #7
89 S-PACK

... petrol pump could be stuffed. dad keeps frying his petrol pump in the wagon cos the guage doesnt work atm but that soon will be fixed again

check the neutral switch on the box (yes ea manuals have them) its the one at the very top on the passenger side towards the front of the car. just bridge it with a peice of wire.
the neutral switch turns out to be one of the earths for the dizzy, if this aint working you would get no spark at all. mine did this ages ago and thats all it was but im still running around with the bridge wire in there mainly cos i havent had the time to buy a new switch and install it in the box

02 (VX) Holden Commodore Equipe series 2 S/wagon.
Manual, Lsd, Catback, Svsi lpg.
still a nice reliable upgrade from the old magna..
89 S-PACK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2007, 10:47 PM   #8
eb91xr6
V8 Ute V8 Boat

well took it ta a mechanic cost 147 to get it to start turned out it was the coil, and he did the timing and cheeked over everything. but he thinks that it could be the fuel pump and thats why it wont start on petrol
125 Thumpster 2010
Swag
All set for the weekend
Old 16-01-2007, 11:42 PM   #9
Damo
Banned

dude don't worry about getting it to run on petrol it's just a thrash car. Does it rip skids ?
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2007, 11:48 PM   #10
eb91xr6
V8 Ute V8 Boat

well on gas it does but it blowsabit of blue smoke but theres nothing wrong with the lsd put it that way
125 Thumpster 2010
Swag
All set for the weekend