Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Do you think there will be a BF Series 3?
Yes 98 29.34%
No 236 70.66%
Voters: 334. You may not vote on this poll

Old 15-10-2006, 06:48 PM   #1
XR8putts

Default BF mKIII - Yup, Series 3

PLEASE READ THIS FIRST POST BEFORE VOTING!

I don't think this has been mentioned before.
Was having a conversation with a friend of mine and it hit me. I don’t think the next Falcon (after the current BF2) will be Orion.

I think Ford Australia will **** a lot of their fans off with a BF Series 3.

Let’s look at the facts:

1) The BF2 has new headlights, bonnet and front bumper. This is a series 2 update. They didn’t even do anything this drastic with BA to BF. Infact neither Ford nor Holden have never updated a car like this for a series 2 update in recent history.
2) Ford has done the Series 3 before. The AU (series 3) just wouldn’t die when the BA couldn’t come soon enough. The last Series 3 Falcon was only 4 years ago.
3) We have not seen a single Orion sketch or mule, let alone a spy shot.
4) With the BF2 released (well I consider it released) then do you think Ford will drag it on until 2008 when the Orion is set to debut? (According to numerous magazines and general consensus) that is one long run – Has Holden or Ford ever done that before?
5) The last all new Commodore was 8 phases: VT, VT2, VX, VX2, VY, VY2, VZ and VZ2. Including the latest BF2 we are only at 7 phases: AU, AU2, AU3, BA, BA2, BF, and BF2. To square up to Commodore and follow a logical trend, there would have to be a BF3.

So unfortunately I believe there will be a BF Series 3. At a time when Orion could not come soon enough. I hope I am wrong. :

What do you guys and girls reckon? :

XR8putts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 06:54 PM   #2
Falcon Freak
Banned

There is no time for a BFIII model as the BFII model's life is only 18 months before the all new Orion model is released in early 2008. BFII is the last update for the current AU/BA platform.

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 06:56 PM   #3
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by puts99
What do you guys and girls reckon? :
i think you're completely out of your mind Models don't have to be in unison with the competition, there is no 'rule' dictating this. Models are released as required. I highly doubt there will be a BF3. Only minor changes were made for BF2, headlights and bumper, bonnet on Ghia etc. Besides current design rules are dictating higher fronts on sedans, well higher chassis anyway for better crash resistance against 'SUV's. I dare say the BF/2 design will not pass this.

AU had 3 series primarily because at the time it was so unpopular. By series 3 they seemed to be on the money. No other falcon i can remember has had 3 series (unless you count 1991 anniversary EA's as series 3).

I'm tipping Orion will be what it's said to be.

Last edited by Professor Farnsworth; 15-10-2006 at 07:11 PM.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 07:07 PM   #4
XR8putts

18 months is a long time without an update. And is Orion confirmed for early 2008?

Also to the person above, its actually new bumper, bonnet and headlights for Ghia, Futura, XT and RTV, that other ute and all wagons? (or are wagons discontinued)

Trust me, I hope like hell I'm wrong - but it just wouldn't surprize me if it happend.
Old 15-10-2006, 07:07 PM   #5
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

For Ford to bring out a series III that is feasable doesnt make sense.

If you look back to the AU series this is how it went.

APRIL 2000 AU series II was released.

Not till 18 months after was the AUIII Released, which in this case the Orion is due.

Ford cannot afford to bring another B series model out, it costs them too much not only in development, but marketing and also rebates they have to hand over to dealers to move old stock.
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 07:10 PM   #6
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Also to the person above, its actually new bumper, bonnet and headlights for Ghia, Futura, XT and RTV, that other ute and all wagons?
isn't that what i said ? lol (if you're talking to me)
Old 15-10-2006, 07:13 PM   #7
BTTB
Free XD

You forgot the 3rd option

~ Who Cares !
BTTB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 07:17 PM   #8
Falcon Freak
Banned

Quote:
18 months is a long time without an update. And is Orion confirmed for early 2008?

Also to the person above, its actually new bumper, bonnet and headlights for Ghia, Futura, XT and RTV, that other ute and all wagons? (or are wagons discontinued)

Trust me, I hope like hell I'm wrong - but it just wouldn't surprize me if it happend.
Yes Orion timing is confirmed (but not to the public).

And yes you are wrong.

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 07:34 PM   #9
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Aint gonna happen.

What you need to remember the later model prepare you for the next update (look at the VZ and VE headlights not much of a diff) so the BFII is to get you ready so Ford dosn't shock the public like the AU did.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 07:50 PM   #10
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Aint gonna happen.

What you need to remember the later model prepare you for the next update (look at the VZ and VE headlights not much of a diff) so the BFII is to get you ready so Ford dosn't shock the public like the AU did.
there's some inside info for you ;p

i hope the BF2 bonnet bears only a minor resemblance to Orion in that case, coz i am not a fan
Old 15-10-2006, 07:59 PM   #11
The Stylist
Automotive Designer

Can't see it happening. Even if there was a BF3, I think Ford would be picking at straws as to what could be changed. New colour and BF MkIII badge anyone?

Also not entirely convinced on the 18 month wait theory for the E8's reveal.
The Stylist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 08:00 PM   #12
Dezza
Parts bin special

I doubt there will be a BFIII. Most models last between 12 and 18 months anyway

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 08:02 PM   #13
BlueJ

I would assume Ford would introduce injection LPG systems on Falcon e-gas AND Territory e-gas when available, would that be enough change to justify calling the vehicles BF Series 3 and SY Series 2?
BlueJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 08:04 PM   #14
LethalLeigh
Get in the van!

AU series 1 went on for more than 18 months didn't it? 18 months is entirely feasable for a final model run.
Old 15-10-2006, 08:04 PM   #15
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can cant see another B series after the BF Mk II I think given the time involved b4 the Orion to be release early 2008 there is not time for BF Mk III.

BA XR6 Mk II Shockwave Sedan - Now Sold - gone but not forgotten

mods: 20% under drive, Pacemaker Comps 4495' (ceramic coated) , 3' Metal Cat, XR6T exhaust - twin 3' tips, F6 CAI, K&N panel filter, PWR trans cooler, customed tuned by Heinrich Performance Tuning HPT 183.7rwkw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMO SIX
You have become the new SLOANY mate, no real quality to your current post(s).
MoreHPformyXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 08:23 PM   #16
XR8putts

When I say MkIII all I mean is new colours, options becoming standard and a few tacky changes and badges.

If I recall correctly thats all the AU3 update was? Ofcourse Ford made a big deal of it, trying to justify the series 3 badge. :
Old 15-10-2006, 08:34 PM   #17
GT-E

I think there WILL be a series 3 as Ford seem to like to release their major models for the Sydney motor show. This is the last 1/4 of the year and would be 2 years after the Mk2, so it is realistic they offer a refresh model this time next year as they do EVERY BLOODY YEAR.
Nice way to kill the resale. They should have 2 year model runs not 1 year.
Old 15-10-2006, 08:35 PM   #18
GT-E

I think there WILL be a series 3 as Ford seem to like to release their major models for the Sydney motor show. This is the last 1/4 of the year and would be 2 years after the Mk2, so it is realistic they offer a refresh model this time next year as they do EVERY BLOODY YEAR.
Nice way to kill the resale. They should have 2 year model runs not 1 year.
Old 15-10-2006, 08:38 PM   #19
The Stylist
Automotive Designer

Quote:
When I say MkIII all I mean is new colours, options becoming standard and a few tacky changes and badges.
Haha, I thought that's what BF2 upgrade was for. I guess Ford could make some running changes in the lead up to the 2008 E8 Falcon, DSC could be made standard across the range as with side airbags (except utes).
Old 15-10-2006, 08:54 PM   #20
FPV

I don't see why Ford don't switch to the european upgrade cycle. Instead of calling the upgrade by a new model code, they should just call it by model year. I think it would not hit depreciation rates as hard as new model coding, people will probably not look upon older models as if they have a disease either. But the actual upgrades stay the same(eg. The W211 E Class went under a similar, possibly bigger upgrade with E63, similar to the BF MKII, but just called it MY07(Model Year 2007)
FPV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 09:15 PM   #21
The Stylist
Automotive Designer

Personally I think Ford should consider shortening lifecycles of the Falcon range. For example instead of keeping the basic architecture for 9-10 years, lower it and bring out all new model every six years like Holden are doing with the VE and onwards.
Old 15-10-2006, 09:35 PM   #22
WASP
Whipple Induced

No series 3 IMO, but running updates (some sagnificant) during the model cycle.
Old 15-10-2006, 09:36 PM   #23
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Won't happen, 18 months isn't long enough to put a new model in between. Ford would not want to spend any more money on an old platform so close to Orion. I think GoAuto already said that this is the last update of the B series.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 09:42 PM   #24
Tles
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stylist
Personally I think Ford should consider shortening lifecycles of the Falcon range. For example instead of keeping the basic architecture for 9-10 years, lower it and bring out all new model every six years like Holden are doing with the VE and onwards.
Now you are onto something. Mazda has lead a push to develop more regular update models and shorter lead times into production. I expect Orion will have more regular update schedules than before.
As for your first question....No. Personally I expect to see more of 'definition of the range' models released sort of like Holden.
Probably Sports Luxury - Fairmont Ghia Turbo, Territory Turbo, Fairlane G8 and G6T
Sports - Fiesta XR4, Focus XR5, Falcon XR6T Luxury and so on - Hero/Halo Cars
because - Territory has shown Ford how to sell to Private buyers and user choosers and therein lies the profits needed to pay for Orion.
Tles is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 09:48 PM   #25
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

i suggest they may release a commemoration model of the BF2 a few months prior to Orion, like an SR but maybe with a few more bits - to celebrate the long running (about time) success of the B series shape. But if that happened it would still be a BF2.
Old 15-10-2006, 10:18 PM   #26
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nah, BFII has only just got here and the new falcon is approx 18 months away.

They'll offer sell off deals and "Classic" and "SR" falcons with lots of extras, but no BFIII in my opinion.
Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 10:21 PM   #27
The Stylist
Automotive Designer

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantz
i suggest they may release a commemoration model of the BF2 a few months prior to Orion, like an SR but maybe with a few more bits - to celebrate the long running (about time) success of the B series shape. But if that happened it would still be a BF2.
I think that would be the most likely scenario to happen. Now I wonder what they could call it?...

* Falcon SR-SP ESP Marketing Edition?
* Falcon AU-BF "Delight" Special?
* Falcon Super SR?
* Falcon SR Force 2?
* Falcon XT-P?
* Falcon Omega V?
* Falcon "just another update" GLI-R ?
Old 15-10-2006, 10:59 PM   #28
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stylist
I think that would be the most likely scenario to happen. Now I wonder what they could call it?...

* Falcon SR-SP ESP Marketing Edition?
* Falcon AU-BF "Delight" Special?
* Falcon Super SR?
* Falcon SR Force 2?
* Falcon XT-P?
* Falcon Omega V?
* Falcon "just another update" GLI-R ?
* GTHO

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 11:16 PM   #29
Bucket
XR5 Pilot

BF III... You're kidding right? New models so close to each other? Thats something Holden would do ;)
Old 15-10-2006, 11:18 PM   #30
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucket
BF III... You're kidding right? New models so close to each other? Thats something Holden would do ;)
They are! Holden are going to a 6yr cycle.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post