Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-06-2009, 10:03 AM   #1
PETE_XR6

Default Wake Up Ford!!!!

With the constant letters in Melbourne's Herald sun and other newspapers around Australia about brake problems , ball joints , paint quality issues and the recall of BF FG LPG sedan , wagon and ute . Isn't it about time Ford came out and gave an interview to reassure the public and do a bit of PR work?? This is a good opportunity for the new CEO to fly the flag and stop hiding behind his desk . I know some friends and relatives that will no longer buy Ford cars because of the quality issues and brake problems they had with the Territory . There are serious problem with build quality at Ford and these need to be addressed and it starts with the CEO . If this isn't addressed I will no longer buy Ford cars .

PETE_XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2009, 10:08 AM   #2
cob115
COUPE WHORE

mmm ur right ,as for me i wont buy a new ford again,unless some thing comes along thats a lot better than there doing now,may be a a GT 40 woohoo.but then again i wouldnt buy any new car be it holden ford etc,love my old school stuff to much ,only thinking this morning driving in to work in the XA theres no alarms going of cos i ant got my seat belt on or i left my lights on etc

1974 Malvern Star Dragstar pushbike mods; bald back tyre, big sissy bar, speckled paint job and buckled front wheel
cob115 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2009, 10:13 AM   #3
Wally
XP Coupe

You're not seriously suggesting a car from the seventies is better than an FG? Good God man, this is the 21st century. Try it, you might like it. :
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2009, 10:16 AM   #4
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is a pointless topic...

Old 12-06-2009, 10:16 AM   #5
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The problem is that Holden has just as many problems if not more, but the media isn't interested in badmouthing their darling. The VE is absolutley plagued with electrical gremlins, yet you don't here a thing about it.

Take Carsguide the most biased of them all. All it has talked about for the last 3 months is Ford quality problems - fine, if justified but where is the balanced reporting about other makes?

For e.g. there was a letter a bloke wrote in about the illegible guages in the Commodore. Carsguide addressed his letter by twisting it to talk about how badly designed the guages and switch gear are in BA-FG. Didn't even mention Holden at all. Now I have driven a gazillion cars and I love the layout of the Falcon cockpit. This is biased reporting at the extreme.

Its really hard to win a battle against the media unfortunatly - what Ford should be doing is putting pressure on the editors of these publications threatening to pull advertising $$$ unless more balanced reporting is printed - that and continue positive PR work behind the scenes (which they already do).
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2009, 10:23 AM   #6
PETE_XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
How is it pointless ? when I have 2 relatives that bought new Territories with quality issues and brake problems both will never buy Fords again
Old 12-06-2009, 10:29 AM   #7
cob115
COUPE WHORE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
You're not seriously suggesting a car from the seventies is better than an FG? Good God man, this is the 21st century. Try it, you might like it. :
not at all its just my personal choice,but i reckon the way things are going ford n holden are both on borrowed time making cars in australia,n with quality problems not being adressed buy ford it makes me less likely to even concider buying a new ford again,my last new ford was in 1996 new fairlaine,great car $45k back then jeees sold it last year for 5k,but i gotto say i get more fun out of driving my xa than the latest GT

1974 Malvern Star Dragstar pushbike mods; bald back tyre, big sissy bar, speckled paint job and buckled front wheel
cob115 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2009, 10:31 AM   #8
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PETE_XR6
How is it pointless ? when I have 2 relatives that bought new Territories with quality issues and brake problems both will never buy Fords again
There are more appropriate threads regarding this in the Terri section to address your specific points, or threads in other "model specific" sections if you have personal issues with other Ford models... but a mindless broad brush rant here wont solve or achieve anything other than whip up another "Witch hunt" against Ford....

Last edited by 4Vman; 12-06-2009 at 10:37 AM.
4Vman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2009, 10:34 AM   #9
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Agreed.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2009, 10:40 AM   #10
PETE_XR6

Quote:
There are more appropriate threads regarding this in the Terri section to address your specific points, or threads in other "model specific" sections if you have personal issues with other Ford models... but a mindless broad brush rant here wont solve or achieve anything other than whip up another "Witch hunt" against Ford....
sounds like you work for the ford marketing department
Old 12-06-2009, 10:43 AM   #11
HSE2

Quote:

I thought the terri was recalled???
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2009, 10:45 AM   #12
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Not at all... i just think mindless rants achieve nothing without addressing specifics.
Each model has specific issues, its not a uniquely "Ford" paradigm either.. every car manufacturer has its set of "issues" for each of their models.
To add weight to a position you need to address that issue specifically, the best place to do that is in the appropriate model area, where more likely than not its been discussed previously, and at length, possibly with a solution too... Pretty sure Ford have fixed the terri issues with a recall?
Sweeping emotional statement achieve little....

Old 12-06-2009, 10:47 AM   #13
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

Quote:
I don't think it's that bad.

I think the OP has raised some valid points here and raised them respectfully. I can't see the issue of raising this as a broader topic.

The lack of response here from Ford, whether it be Marin/Russell Christophers etc, is damaging. Reputations are gained and lost on the back of media spin no matter what we would like to think.

I think these issues warranted some form of response from Ford, it is disappointing that it hasn't come.
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2009, 10:49 AM   #14
PETE_XR6

Quote:
Not at all... i just think mindless rants achieve nothing without addressing specifics.
Each model has specific issues, its not a uniquely "Ford" paradigm either.. every car manufacturer has its set of "issues" for each of their models.
To add weight to a position you need to address that issue specifically, the best place to do that is in the appropriate model area, where more likely than not its been discussed previously, and at length, possibly with a solution too... Pretty sure Ford have fixed the terri issues with a recall?
I disagree , this is the perfect time to show leadership and for the CEO to answer question directly from the Australian Motoring press and restore public confidence in the Ford product range .

END OF RANT!
Old 12-06-2009, 10:52 AM   #15
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSE2
I thought the terri was recalled???
Hi Ian

For the brakes only I believe.

The ball joint issue is significant and as yet no recall decided on.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:55 AM   #16
HSE2

ok...
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
Old 12-06-2009, 10:59 AM   #17
tapeworm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
The problem is that Holden has just as many problems if not more, but the media isn't interested in badmouthing their darling. The VE is absolutley plagued with electrical gremlins, yet you don't here a thing about it.

Take Carsguide the most biased of them all. All it has talked about for the last 3 months is Ford quality problems - fine, if justified but where is the balanced reporting about other makes?

For e.g. there was a letter a bloke wrote in about the illegible guages in the Commodore. Carsguide addressed his letter by twisting it to talk about how badly designed the guages and switch gear are in BA-FG. Didn't even mention Holden at all. Now I have driven a gazillion cars and I love the layout of the Falcon cockpit. This is biased reporting at the extreme.

Its really hard to win a battle against the media unfortunatly - what Ford should be doing is putting pressure on the editors of these publications threatening to pull advertising $$$ unless more balanced reporting is printed - that and continue positive PR work behind the scenes (which they already do).

Antother classic with the Friday Carsguide months back-loaded every week for months about how Ford is stuffed as the 4 litre engine was due to cease and that they wer'nt exporting cars like Holden. Pretty sure I only saw a small article last week about Holden being totally safe from anything going on in the USA and they can continue their 'Red Lion' success without a blip. It is a real biased setup and it's very obvious.

My old man is a standard joe public with an interest in cars but not an extreme enthusiast. He reads the Carsguide and thinks Ford are stuffed.
tapeworm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2009, 11:01 AM   #18
HSE2

In that case I will rush down and get a copy. I feel left out not knowing. Back in 5 ;)
Old 12-06-2009, 11:03 AM   #19
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Surely we can give Pete_Xr6 a bit more respect than to just call it a mindless rant???

Let's not get caught up about how other manufacturers perform or respond to these types of issues. This should be seen as a way for Ford to get ahead of the pack.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:06 AM   #20
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cob115
not at all its just my personal choice,but i reckon the way things are going ford n holden are both on borrowed time making cars in australia,n with quality problems not being adressed buy ford it makes me less likely to even concider buying a new ford again,my last new ford was in 1996 new fairlaine,great car $45k back then jeees sold it last year for 5k,but i gotto say i get more fun out of driving my xa than the latest GT
Refreshing to see you have a sense of humour. I must admit I'm very naive when it comes to quality issues with both Ford and Holden, because I tend to think of them as minor agenda items.

In regard to responses blaming the media, I think the OP was referring to general public gripes, not journalists? If a member has a personal product grievance, shouldn't he be allowed to voice that in a Forum dedicated to that product, without being fobbed off?
Old 12-06-2009, 11:09 AM   #21
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Refreshing to see you have a sense of humour. I must admit I'm very naive when it comes to quality issues with both Ford and Holden, because I tend to think of them as minor agenda items.

In regard to responses blaming the media, I think the OP was referring to general public gripes, not journalists? If a member has a personal product grievance, shouldn't he be allowed to voice that in a Forum dedicated to that product, without being fobbed off?
Agree totally wally, that's why the forum has model specific areas for members to vent about their specific issues that their model has... most will find the problem is common, and has been discussed, solved or addressed.
These "issues" are neither better or worse than anything Ford has encountered either now or in the past, or any other car manufacturer either for that matter.

For a CEO to come out to make a "public statement" about standard recall or warranty processes or issues would appear "alarmist" and somewhat dangerous IMO, most consumers of their products would not be aware or most issues the car manufacturers face on a daily basis.... To "stick your head" up would probably scare customers off...

Last edited by 4Vman; 12-06-2009 at 11:15 AM.
4Vman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2009, 11:10 AM   #22
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

I agree, Burela needs to get out and do an interview or hold a press conference or something. At least assure the public these problems have stopped with the FG and updated Territory (and better still replace all the faulty brake lines; it may cost Ford money now but the in the future it could mean keeping a lot of people on board to buy more new cars with Ford)

Quote:
With the constant letters in Melbourne's Herald sun and other newspapers around Australia about brake problems , ball joints , paint quality issues and the recall of BF FG LPG sedan , wagon and ute . Isn't it about time Ford came out and gave an interview to reassure the public and do a bit of PR work?? This is a good opportunity for the new CEO to fly the flag and stop hiding behind his desk . I know some friends and relatives that will no longer buy Ford cars because of the quality issues and brake problems they had with the Territory . There are serious problem with build quality at Ford and these need to be addressed and it starts with the CEO . If this isn't addressed I will no longer buy Ford cars .
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2009, 11:18 AM   #23
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Agree totally wally, that's why the forum has model specific areas for members to vent about their specific issues that their model has... most will find the problem is common, and has been discussed, solved or addressed.
These "issues" are neither better or worse than anything Ford has encountered either now or in the past, or any other car manufacturer either for that matter.

For a CEO to come out to make a "public statement" about standard recall or warranty processes or issues would appear "alarmist" and somewhat dangerous IMO, most consumers of their products would not be aware or most issues the car manufacturers face on a daily basis....
And this is the issue. There has been no resolution. We are really talking about a more general topic here, not a model specific problem. This is about Customer Service and relations, and to be seen as be proactive to keep media on your side, that leads to positive public perception. All very important.

I have spoken to several seniors within Ford, they are disappointed as I am about this.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:19 AM   #24
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:

Back on topic...
I think the OP has raised some valid points, i to know plenty of old die hard Ford buyers that are turning to other makes due not so much the faults with the cars on offer, but Fords seemingly lack of intrest in reasuring their regular customers/supporters that the issues are being delt with.....

It goes hand in hand with the lack of promotion of their product, they just dont seem to give a dam about what the media say, that is why other makes get a free reign, loyalty alone will not support a product if the producer of said product does not back it up...

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe

Last edited by Laminge; 12-06-2009 at 11:27 AM.
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2009, 11:21 AM   #25
winkle

I agree that Carsguide has been giving Ford a hard time lately. But cast you mind back two or three years ago (maybe more?) and they equally gave Holden a hard time when they were having issue with piston slap and oil consumption in the V8's.

Carsguide definitely has a Holden bias, though.
winkle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2009, 11:32 AM   #26
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

looks like ford are recalling the lpg cars ect

but typical that carsguide start it like that

Quote:
Ford's battered reputation has taken another hit with the company recalling 20,864 LPG cars.

The recall involves all BF Series II and III and the new FG Falcon sedan, wagon and utility fitted with the factory-fitted LPG system, called E-Gas, which are popular with fleets and tradies.

The cars affected were built from January 16, 2007 to August 22, 2008.

The defect involves the brake booster check valve, which may develop a vacuum leak.

Related Coverage
Ford recalls Focus and MondeoFord won’t recall faulty FalconsFord Territory recall: Q&AFord Territory recallFord spokesman, Justin Lacy, said the valve can develop a leak, leading to reduced power assistance for the brakes.

Details of the latest recall surfaced on the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission's website last Friday, ahead of the holiday weekend but have, until now, slipped under the radar.

Worried owners should contact their local Ford dealer or Ford's customer relations line on 1800 503 672.

In recent months Ford has been hit with a range of glitches that are damaging its hard-fought reputation.

In March it was forced to recall 83,000 SX and SY Territorys to replace front brake hoses after widespread consumer reports of brake failures.

The Herald Sun's Carsguide has uncovered a raft of quality problems at Broadmeadows after months of consumer complaints covering everything from brakes to rust and paint.

The most recent concerns relate to front balljoint failures on high-mileage Territorys.

In addition, Ford last month recalled its Focus and Mondeos to check problem with brake vacuum pumps.

The recall for the LV Focus and MA Mondeo, built since last year, only affects those with a diesel engine.

Ford says under certain conditions the supply of vacuum to the brake booster may be reduced causing a hard brake pedal and increase stopping distances.

Ford is contacting known owners by mail.

In March, Ford recalled more than 83,000 Territorys to fix a brake hose defect which was uncovered by Carsguide after complaints from readers.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2009, 11:44 AM   #27
turbo4me

Well i have had my BA Turbo since 2005 and have had only one issue with it(destroyed gearbox) which was my fault.

If i had the bread i would be into a new one.Absolutely love them.
Old 12-06-2009, 12:44 PM   #28
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

The letter about the paint peel on the 'Shockwave Blue' XR6 is interesting.

Bought second hand from a dealer (re: used car warranty).

Shockwave finished in BA / BF didn't it ?

Has the car been repainted after a crash ?

No question about that from Cars Guide, they just talk up the need to take it back to 'Ford', is that where it came from as a used car ? Or was it somewhere else....no mention or questions about that either.

More ammo however for them to bag out Ford...
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2009, 12:47 PM   #29
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:

For a CEO to come out to make a "public statement" about standard recall or warranty processes or issues would appear "alarmist" and somewhat dangerous IMO, most consumers of their products would not be aware or most issues the car manufacturers face on a daily basis.... To "stick your head" up would probably scare customers off...
Yes and no. I don't have any specific interest in the Territory and I'm sure many other members don't either, so a general discussion forum is one that gives better exposure to issues that affect the whole image of Ford.

It's not as if the OP is suggesting Ford are profligate, just that he is endeared to the brand and doesn't want it to lose sales due to customer complaints finding their way into the press where consumers can see them on a daily basis.

It might not be a bad idea for one of the execs to wheel out a dog and pony show bragging about the virtues and mitigation of their product.
Old 12-06-2009, 02:15 PM   #30
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes and no. I don't have any specific interest in the Territory and I'm sure many other members don't either, so a general discussion forum is one that gives better exposure to issues that affect the whole image of Ford.

It's not as if the OP is suggesting Ford are profligate, just that he is endeared to the brand and doesn't want it to lose sales due to customer complaints finding their way into the press where consumers can see them on a daily basis.

It might not be a bad idea for one of the execs to wheel out a dog and pony show bragging about the virtues and mitigation of their product.
agreed. Well said.