Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

View Poll Results: Should Boss owners change there Valve springs and be called unopened like the LS1's (
Should Boss owners change there Valve springs and be called unopened like the LS1's (level playing field) 20 34.48%
No, if you change valve springs you are 100% opened 38 65.52%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-10-2005, 05:45 PM   #61
parawolf
beep beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynosteve
gerry one of my customers has so far managed a best of 12.0 @ 124mph un-opened in a pursuit ute, however we're hoping to run a low 11 on wendesday night at willowbank
What engine management was used? Edit? Unichip?
Old 09-10-2005, 06:03 PM   #62
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynosteve
gerry one of my customers has so far managed a best of 12.0 @ 124mph un-opened in a pursuit ute, however we're hoping to run a low 11 on wendesday night at willowbank
Can you highlight the mods please, mph is showing a good sign of a hairdryer.
Quadcams is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2005, 06:05 PM   #63
ALS008
I'm BOSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowride260
Can you highlight the mods please, mph is showing a good sign of a hairdryer.
Yep this could be likely - forced induction

====Past Rides====
'04 BA XR6T 5spd T5: Nizpro Tuned, Valve springs, CIA, Injectors, 256RWKW
'04 BA XR8 4spd BTR:Bluepower Tuned, BPR CAI, Big Boy exhaust, Hi Stall, 4.11s, 248RWKW PB:13.2@105mph
'92 EB Fairmont GHIA 5.0LT 5spd T5:Stock with a cat back exhaust.
'06 BF Fairlane GHIA 230Boss ZF 6spd: BPR CIA, cat back Exhaust.

====Present Ride====
'10 FPV GS Ute ZF 6spd:#108. With all the fruit.
ALS008 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2005, 08:51 PM   #64
sutty
Mushroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSbaby
How could an unopened Boss run 124mph in a ute?

Sorry. Not possible would be the general consensus.

I think I might know the ute in question. Blood Orange and with one of Steve's superchargers. The last time I saw it out at Willowbank (a couple of months back now) we both ran 12.2 but his 60 footers were woeful - 2.4 from memory. I was talking to the owner and he was having problems with the auto going into limp mode. He definately had the MPH - just needed to get the launch sorted.
sutty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2005, 08:53 PM   #65
sutty
Mushroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by parawolf
If it is indeed the ute mentioned above, he had the RDP piggyback.
sutty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2005, 09:27 PM   #66
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALS008
hhhmmmm i seem to think the MPH is quite high for an unopened motor, being a 260 or a 290. The MPH is an indication of outright HP.
FPVGT (Alex) 112 mph and Rods 110 mph is the best i have seen from unopened Boss powered cars...

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2005, 09:42 PM   #67
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sutty
If it is indeed the ute mentioned above, he had the RDP piggyback.
If it used the edit, they could overcome the limp home problem
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2005, 10:00 PM   #68
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter
If it used the edit, they could overcome the limp home problem
This has only been nutted out in the last few weeks..there car was run 2 to 3 months back...
Speaking to Steve, RDP are going to use an edit very soon...
Ratter you had the same problems few months back with a hi-stall all fixed now?

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2005, 10:03 PM   #69
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

I realise the edit function has just been sorted out, just wanted to give my 2c worth
Old 14-10-2005, 06:46 AM   #70
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by parawolf
Steve uses his own RDP interceptor chip. I believe it retails for $1595 fitted and tuned.

Tuned by Elite Automotive

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
jabba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2005, 01:15 PM   #71
Gauntster

Can some one please give me the run down on what is the true definition of "unopened" is?
I am under the impression that this means a vehicle that has external bolt ons and or some sort of editing of the factory ecu, not non factory diff gears, tranny gears, etc and definately not an internally modified engine??
It would be great if some one could point out to me the boundries of an "unopened" vehicle.
Thanks. :
Gauntster is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2005, 01:16 PM   #72
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gauntster
Can some one please give me the run down on what is the true definition of "unopened" is?
I am under the impression that this means a vehicle that has external bolt ons and or some sort of editing of the factory ecu, not non factory diff gears, tranny gears, etc and definately not an internally modified engine??
It would be great if some one could point out to me the boundries of an "unopened" vehicle.
Thanks. :
I think it's engine only when we talk about it being unopened.
XRQTOR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2005, 01:27 PM   #73
Gauntster

Its just my opinion, but i consider an "unopened" vehicle to be one that retains the factory internal workings, drive train and engine, etc, excluding the ecu.
A vehicle should run true bolt ons cai, exhaust, tb, etc, etc other wise, where does the classification of "unopened" end? Just have a look at the poll at the top of this thread to see what i am talking about.
What do you people think? :
Old 05-11-2005, 06:16 PM   #74
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Its just my opinion, but i consider an "unopened" vehicle to be one that retains the factory internal workings, drive train and engine, etc, excluding the ecu.
A vehicle should run true bolt ons cai, exhaust, tb, etc, etc other wise, where does the classification of "unopened" end? Just have a look at the poll at the top of this thread to see what i am talking about.
What do you people think? :
well in that case go chris ALL FACTORY INTERNALS 12.39@110 read and weep LS1 boys!!!!!! : Strip a Boss bare like the LS1's have done love to see the results oh and +100odd kgs to gotta love that.
Old 05-11-2005, 10:45 PM   #75
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I beleive "unopened" is a term just describing the internals of the engine, nothing to do with what convertor what diff etc.
Old 06-11-2005, 12:12 PM   #76
Gauntster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowride260
well in that case go chris ALL FACTORY INTERNALS 12.39@110 read and weep LS1 boys!!!!!! : Strip a Boss bare like the LS1's have done love to see the results oh and +100odd kgs to gotta love that.
Thats some stomping numbers there, dead set flying! :sm_drool:
Yeah smash those poxy ls1 nancy boys!! :
I would like to see the numbers a boss produced striped down and tricked up, would be more than interesting!! :
Old 06-11-2005, 06:13 PM   #77
Chris
AFF.com.au

You shall see it soon bro.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2005, 06:35 PM   #78
EF302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS108
You a HEAD , i only came on here to ask a question and i was having a Joke with a few of the First Posters and you ahve to come on and act like , :jab:
why the h#ll is a holden fan a member of ff's.
is this a common accurence. do ff members join the holden forums
EF302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2005, 06:53 PM   #79
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordboy
Yeh I'm a member of ls1.com and so is alot of other FF members, keep your friends close and keep your opposition even closer. _2:
Old 06-11-2005, 08:41 PM   #80
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

I'm a member on LS1.com, there's nothing wrong with keeping relation's,, it's all good.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2005, 09:46 PM   #81
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm a member of the LS1 forums also

Guess I'm just narrow minded to think that 1 type of car is better because it wears a paticular badge.
Old 06-11-2005, 09:54 PM   #82
rodderz

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordboy
Because like most people here they are car ENTHUSIASTS

They are more than welcome, and abide by the same rules that the rest of here do. Unlike some who's eyes are only open to one brand most like to hear what the other camp is up to now and then. After all, they are only cars and it should be respectful to not shoot down everyone elses opinion if they like a different brand from someone else.

Sure, this is a ford forum, and 95% of it is Ford. A lot of members from both this forum and other LS1/XR6 Tubo/Ute forums are members of all and like to see whats happening on both sides of the fence
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2005, 10:05 PM   #83
HEMI POWER
N/A BOSS 390+

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodderz

They are more than welcome, and abide by the same rules that the rest of here do. Unlike some who's eyes are only open to one brand most like to hear what the other camp is up to now and then. After all, they are only cars and it should be respectful to not shoot down everyone elses opinion if they like a different brand from someone else.

Sure, this is a ford forum, and 95% of it is Ford. A lot of members from both this forum and other LS1/XR6 Tubo/Ute forums are members of all and like to see whats happening on both sides of the fence
I reckon they come on here to get some real satisfaction.
ALL AUSSIE MUSCLE
HEMI POWER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2005, 01:24 AM   #84
EF302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodderz
= Unlike some who's eyes are only open to one brand most like to hear what the other camp is up to now and then. After all, they are only cars and it should be respectful to not shoot down everyone elses opinion if they like a different brand from someone else.
settle, just a Q. It just annoys me when they get on here and say that the ls1 is soooo much better. i wouldnt say that on holden forum for that reason.

Last edited by EF302; 08-11-2005 at 01:36 AM.
EF302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2005, 06:38 PM   #85
Gauntster

I reckon everybody should just SMOKE IT UP :evilsasmo.....on the strip that is!!
Old 08-11-2005, 08:20 PM   #86
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I reckon everybody should just SMOKE IT UP :evilsasmo.....on the strip that is!!
Good call Gaunster!
Old 19-11-2005, 09:10 PM   #87
jmc-007

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSbaby
Begging your pardon but unopened Boss' don't just slip under the radar. That's substantially faster (mph) than the unopened record, apparently owned by GM Motorsport at 119mph, according to Chris on this forum... You don't just magically generate that kind of mph out of the blue... not when you have a car that starts off weighing 1900kgs from the factory.

With all due respect to dynosteve, reputations mean nothing to me in the tuning industry. I've heard so much BS from the LS1 camp... people knowingly lie and their mates back them up... not that that is the case here!

yes thats true what your saying but on both sides you see. people with sigs saying ''fastest unopened blah blah with boltons" and silly things like that.

When the time slips are shown then you know thats not bull.

Also another thing is not just boltons but tunning as well.

A road car thats running a tune that is close to pinging or running race fuel is in the same boat as well.

Not to mention the commodores are not as light as people think. Holden weigh the cars dry weight without fluids. !!!
jmc-007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2005, 09:14 PM   #88
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc-007
. Holden weigh the cars dry weight without fluids. !!!

Most car and motor bike manufactures always advertise "dry figures" and also crank horsepower/ kilowatts rather than rear wheel figures
Old 20-11-2005, 09:41 AM   #89
highlander_69r
Starter Motor

owning a holden myself and a member of ls1 , so what most of my mates own ba xr8/turbos and i like the ba its much nicer then any of the fords since the gtho , i like reading about the developemet of the boss and xr8 but how much difference will there be between the 260 and the 290kw eng ? keep up the good work no matter what happens there is always people to question the validity !