Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Ford Car Clubs > Ford Performance Vehicles Club of Tasmania > General Discussions

Old 08-09-2009, 11:24 AM   #1
HSE2

Default Muscle Car masters road trip

Muscle car masters road trip.

The car
Andrews FG FPV F6 Ute. What a car. This was the first Ute I have been in for many a year and it was a bit of shock if I am honest. If it weren’t for the rear view mirror reminding you that there was no rear seat, one could be forgiven for thinking it was a sedan.
Extremely conformable and in Andrew's case very well specified. The top of the line info screen is a first class act. It makes my BF look like a cartoon that was done in the 70s. Better positioned for forward viewing, eyes closer to where the driver should be looking instead of looking down. Intuitive menus that would put many more complicated Euros to shame. The customisable features on the FG are light years ahead of any previous Falcon iteration.

In fact the entire layout is the best design since the high series AU dash in my opinion and that includes fit and finish. The only flaw had to be pointed out to me and to be honest it’s probably not something that would worry me.

On the road it was the comfort that immediately impressed. I expected the Ute version to have a slight front to rear mismatch in suspension tune, but if it’s there it would need a road far more challenging that the one we through at it.

For the first 300 kms I enjoyed soaking in the entire experience and I can tell you the passenger seat is a very nice place to be. Climate control taking care of the comfort and barely any road noise. (till we hit the NSW concrete versions). On the subject of noise, the only negative comment I could make about this car was the “booming resonance” that could be experienced with the windows down. That’s not something I have experienced before and I am not sure if it’s FG or Ute phenomenon.

The seats might seem initially on the soft side but after 900kms of essentially nonstop progress we arrived fresh enough to take in a NFL game. Seriously, I could have gone again, back to back. The only ill effects I had came from the boat crossing. Sure the driving was shared but the sitting down wasn’t. Comfortable and supportive.

I think it would be fair to suggest that Andrew was seeing some numbers for the first time. Like 800 kms plus range on tank and an average in the high 9s. Try as I might, Andrew just wouldn’t take this part seriously, so yes these numbers could have been better if I had driven the entire trip but I guess that has me leading into performance.

Cruise control was employed for the majority of the trip. I feel that my V8 GT would have been able to match the F6 if driven in the same way but with a performance disadvantage.

Like I have said many times on this forum, there is no point to a V8 and this is just another example that re enforces this opinion. : : :

This isn’t a sight we saw a lot of.
Here are the raw numbers.
Total trip distance 1976.3km
Total fuel consumed 204.6 litres as measured by the excellent trip comp.
Total travel time of 22.25 Hrs at an average speed of 88 km/h which gives us an average fuel consumption of 10.3l/100kms

These numbers are pretty impressive in there own right but they get better when you consider the way the car was driven. Cruise control was employed extensively by both drivers. These numbers included putting the car on and off the Ferry. This exercise hurt especially back in Devonport where the co driver made a poor lane choice costing us 20 minutes of stop start progress, if one could call it so.

We actually saw the total range head into the 800 litre region as we were going into Sydney. I think it peaked at about 820 something but was still getting better. It wasn’t used a great deal in Sydney. Given how it was looking when we parked it, one of us made the ambitious statement that we would see 850kms on the way home.

We didn't see that sort of progress on the way home. To start with there looked to be a pattern that indicated the driver was to blame or at least one of us was to blame. One driver embraced the spirit of the challenge, while the other just embraced the spirit of something completely different. Not that I complained mind you.
:

We had extra weight on the return trip and a different fuel brand. There was another issue that also might have had an influence on our observations, but the bottom line here is that this car is a performance car and was essentially driven as such. Cruise control accelerating up hills isn’t what you want to be doing if you are serious about this sort of thing.

First time at a rugby game. Must say thanks to Andrew and Jake for inviting me along.
Was an experience to be sure. I enjoyed being so close to the action and it was the most atmosphere I have encountered at a football game. Finished off a great days drive but there aren't too many cars, let alone Utes, that deliver one in the near perfect condition after nearly 900 kms and 10 hours driving.

The venue - Eastern Creek. This was my first trip to this marvellous facility. What a great place to watch motorsport. There really doesn’t seem to be a bad place to take vantage of.
Also didn’t realise it has such an elevation difference. Awesome track and for mine much better than Clipsal or tracks that are similarly enclosed. I can’t believe the V8sc aren’t taking advantage of this great track and patron friendly facility.

The stars of the show are undoubtedly the cars and drivers of yesteryear or combination thereof.
It was great to see these classics back on the road and doing what they were designed and built for.

The weather was certainly conducive to entertainment with near perfect conditions on the Saturday and not far from on the Sunday. The 5th anniversary of this event was said to have set an attendance record for its short history and will continue to grow in stature I am sure.

If I were to be critical, the last race on the card should have been about an hour earlier. The representation on the Australian side was sadly lacking and to repeat a display/demonstration that had been shown two times already didn’t help the cause. Australia v New Zealand should have had a bigger run than it did.

There are plenty of event photos on the forum in other sections so I have gathered a small sample of cars and display’s to give members an idea of what to expect if they wish to consider this event at some point.

For a muscle car event there were a couple of giant killing 6s getting about the place. Glenn Seton’s Capri certainly wasn’t short on legs down the chute that’s for sure. The best races in terms of entertainment were certainly the ones with Goliath verse David theme about them.

While I didn’t attend the legends dinner I have it on good authority that this first time innovation won’t be its last.

It’s also refreshing to pay the one fee and have the ability to not have the hand in the pocket to get to see the stars and their cars. Plenty of autograph opportunities but for me the track highlight was being able to see Glenn Seton race and win once again. The 97 EL championship winning car still looks as good today as it did in its day even though that was just a demonstration lap. Capri’s, GT s, HOs, GTS, Toranas, and nearly everything in between. It’s a growth category and after witnessing it first hand, in its full glory that is the Muscle Car Masters, it is no wonder.

What a dangerous dangerous car!!! For my demerit points that is.
It’s a bloody good thing the FG cruise control is so good because it would have to be one of the hardest cars I have come across to maintain a legal speed limit, left to one’s own device. It just does it so easily, such light throttle applications end in a significant increase in momentum but it’s still deceptive momentum. What might seem like 10kph ends up being closer to 20kph.
I wasn’t really interested in sampling its potential as a performance car. There is plenty spoken of on that point better than I ever could, but in terms of drivability, something I rate highly, this car delivers in spades. Any gear, any time this thing just delivers. It makes you feel like its special without trying and I like that in a car. As soon as I have to go looking for response I get a bit shirty.

Ok it doesn’t have the sound or theatre and it might be too good, too clinical but that is starting to get into Clarkson territory. I think all current Ford products are pretty much perfect grand tourers, but I have to be honest. I never thought a six cylinder Ute would also qualify.

As you can see in this picture it is raining and the road is wet. Traction control or the lack of its intervention, was another eye opener. Stupidity would result in a mess no doubt but it never felt dubious under pretty horrid conditions on the return trip.

Couldn’t let a photo opportunity like this go by.

Tradition or a business opportunity? ;) With Andrew you can never be too sure.

I can’t finish a trip report without commenting on the company that essentially made this happen.
Lewis came up with the suggestion for this to be a club event and although it never eventuated in that guise, that suggestion certainly put the event at the forefront of people minds.
We had five club members attend this event in their own right or with family or friends. We were able to keep in touch throughout the event and for sure that contact did add an extra dimension for me.
It was especially pleasing to see FPV and their new cars on display along with Rod in attendance on Sunday. Impressive passion and dedication to the cause in my book and that is commendable and note worthy in an area we (ford) don’t get publicity or recognition in.
Lastly I must simply say thanks to my driving partner and car owner Andrew. Our clubs serves a purpose to bring like minded people together. Its times and experiences like these that allow me to experience things I might not normally attempt. That’s what it’s all about. You learn so much more about the people around you in this environment and I know I am richer for it.
For me the highlight will always be the driving. I know there are more efficient and cheaper options out there but that isn’t for me and I don’t actually enjoy the boat that much.

Thanks Andrew for the excellent conversation, the laughter, whit, hospitality for just making this trip what it was.

BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'

Last edited by HSE2; 05-01-2011 at 10:53 PM.
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2009, 12:37 PM   #2
TS50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Great write up Ian, I think you expressed yourself well, and I believe, like you, a lot of people would be surprised how good a car, the F6 manual ute is.
Ok, ok, I get it, I get too tempted to use the right foot, as we leave a stop, but god, I just love the rush of power, it however does not do much to get that range of a tank to 850 kms.
I know Ian is a V8 man, as i am, however, this ute did truely impress him enough, to make genuine fond comments about it.
I thank you for your company, and also enjoyed putting c**p on you whenever I could (see you did learn something about me, I am a stirrer). But in all seriousness, I liked your suggestion that FPV should lobby the govt for special FPV only lanes, but somehow dont think I will see it in my lifetime.
I thank you for your company, and it was a pleasure to spend all that time with you, it just amazes me in all those day, there never was a time, where there was slience, we both must have too much to say.
Good company, good trip, good destination, made it a memorable long weekend.
Just one favour mate, get rid of that ugly head shot will you???
Hahahaha
Old 11-09-2009, 11:10 PM   #3
WASP
Whipple Induced

You guys sounds like you had an absolute wonderful time (lucky buggers!). I'm really delighted you had a chance to sample the F6 Ian. The Ford Turbo's, particularly in FG form makes you realise that FPV have actually delivered a vehicle that is every bit the competitions measure and more. The fact that is not a V8 this time makes it extremely difficult for many of us, (me included ) to truly embracing this notion some reason. While I only have the FG XR6T to be honest, it is the most powerful, and driver engaging Ford vehicle (stock) I have ever owned. The reason I fail to celebrate this achievement as a blue oval fan is beyond me sometimes, but there you have it.

Colville
Old 12-09-2009, 02:27 AM   #4
TS Lew
BMWK1300R

Great coverage of the weekend Ian. When I mentioned doing this event, I didn't really expect anyone to actually do it, but was glad to see as many club guys make it. I know how good the Master's are as I had been before. For me, I grew up watching these sorts of cars and was not one of the excited one's when they cancelled Group C and later Group A. I guess the only way they could beat the Nissan GTR was to change the rules, but as you discovered how good a turbo car is on the trip, just imagine an FG turbo race car with 4wd. They say racing improves the road car. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see to many 5lt Falcons or Commodores brand new in the showroom. My friends who came all the way from Darwin after I told them about the Master's, are coming back next year. As you can see I did reset my password
TS Lew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2009, 12:20 PM   #5
HSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDAA
You guys sounds like you had an absolute wonderful time (lucky buggers!). I'm really delighted you had a chance to sample the F6 Ian. The Ford Turbo's, particularly in FG form makes you realise that FPV have actually delivered a vehicle that is every bit the competitions measure and more. The fact that is not a V8 this time makes it extremely difficult for many of us, (me included ) to truly embracing this notion some reason. While I only have the FG XR6T to be honest, it is the most powerful, and driver engaging Ford vehicle (stock) I have ever owned. The reason I fail to celebrate this achievement as a blue oval fan is beyond me sometimes, but there you have it.

Colville
Hi Colville

Our last in person conversation inspired me. I have been impressed with eh 270kw engine in the Ford product for some time to the point I can definitely understand people heading in the cheaper Ford direction over the FPV product.

When we came into quarantine Andrew was asked "if he had any weapons to declare other than what was under the bonnet?"

The entire trip people looked at this car. The FPV product is getting the street credibility the brand deserves and that is a net gain for the marque. I don’t really think that it matter that it being achieved by the F6.

Two things stuck in my mind out of driving Andrews F6.

I essentially drove it like I would my cars 90% of the time. The manual drive train has improved remarkably over the last car I drove and a turbo car can deliver throttle response in a manner I hadn't found in BF.

Keep in mind that a 315 Boss is miles ahead of what I drive also.

In general terms the FG has moved the game on considerably in just about every department. To give people an idea of how much Andrew was still finding new things to show me at the 1700kms mark. There are a lot of little things that don't get air play that fly under the radar.

Ian
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
Old 12-09-2009, 12:36 PM   #6
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Nice write up. Would have been great riding in a new car and watching all the greats from yesteryear.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2009, 12:36 PM   #7
HSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS Lew
Great coverage of the weekend Ian. When I mentioned doing this event, I didn't really expect anyone to actually do it, but was glad to see as many club guys make it. I know how good the Master's are as I had been before. For me, I grew up watching these sorts of cars and was not one of the excited one's when they cancelled Group C and later Group A. I guess the only way they could beat the Nissan GTR was to change the rules, but as you discovered how good a turbo car is on the trip, just imagine an FG turbo race car with 4wd. They say racing improves the road car. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see to many 5lt Falcons or Commodores brand new in the showroom. My friends who came all the way from Darwin after I told them about the Master's, are coming back next year. As you can see I did reset my password

Good to see you back on board and please let me know if you have any trouble with the private section log in.

The purpose of a write up like this is to put the club and members cars up in lights. It’s very time consuming to do something like this but for most parts worth it. It creates interest for the club and its members and shows the public that we do extend beyond what some people might perceive clubs to be.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:53 PM   #8
fpvgtp

Well written Ian. Was a brilliant weekend the sights and the sounds the more than 2 brands racing etc etc. For anyone remotely interested in muscle cars, particuarly older ones make your way to next years MCM you will enjoy the experience. We did 2398 klms @ 12.1 L in the P with Ron amazed at the good economy ( enough to be seriously looking for one ) and found our way to the mountainon Monday where we just had to do a number of laps and take the necessary photos.
Back to MCM if I was to go again would probably just walk around on Sunday and enjoy the atmosphere more as the experience in the " suite " was some what lacking, no screens, no PA that could be heard but a lot easier on the legs. Your comments re the last race are spot on this race should of been earlier in the program.
Anyone on for Bathurst 2010.
Cheers
fpvgtp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2009, 09:34 PM   #9
HSE2

Hi Neil

Can you post some of your pictures up in this thread when you get the chance?

Excellent economy there Neil.
Old 26-09-2009, 12:04 AM   #10
TS50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Since the road trip to sydney, in the last 2.1.2 weeks the ute has done a further 1900 km, however the economy around tassie is no where what it did on the mainland, only averaging 12.7l/100km
However, some (yes you ian) would say thats because my right foot dosnt have an eonomy mode
However once you have your piris i will show you how to drive economically
Old 26-09-2009, 12:59 AM   #11
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Great write up mate. Yes, this iteration of the Ford Turbo is a great big fat "don't argue!".

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS50
Since the road trip to sydney, in the last 2.1.2 weeks the ute has done a further 1900 km, however the economy around tassie is no where what it did on the mainland, only averaging 12.7l/100km
However, some (yes you ian) would say thats because my right foot dosnt have an eonomy mode
However once you have your piris i will show you how to drive economically
Oh you poor soul
...that's still a miser. Either that or you ain't driving hard enough!
Old 26-09-2009, 01:52 PM   #12
TS50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
Oh you poor soul
hahaha
just ask Ian, he swears i drive to too hard a right foot
no point in having the power if you aint going to use it
Old 26-09-2009, 04:07 PM   #13
HSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
Great write up mate. Yes, this iteration of the Ford Turbo is a great big fat "don't argue!".

Oh you poor soul

Hi Youssef.

Was a great trip. Really great trip, so much so that it makes getting around Tassie just that bit of a chore in some respects. When the subject turns to Andrew it’s a bit like looking at the order in which signatures are organised. It says a lot about the man. Who would rate a sunroof ahead of Brembos?

In this instance the fuel economy challenge happened by accident.
The performance of the F6 is a given but in this day and age we hear so much about manufacturers developing synergies to improve fuel economy that most seem to forget the most important device is sitting behind the wheel.

Cylinder deactivation, stop start technology, it’s here today. You can have performance when you want and economy when you want. I think Top Gear demonstrated that even the Prius driven the same way as the M3 it’s not really that great.

On the trip in question Andrew started to see numbers he had never seen before in terms of economy and yes it started to happen when it was my turn to drive. :

So as we went on it became a point of discussion. We started to talk about being able to do this trip (leg) on one tank. We did see a combined result of 840kms and it was still going up.

The main reason for the difference is that we don’t have this level of road where you can pretty much travel at the one speed. We struck road works or at the time it seemed like I struck all the road works. These departures from cruising speed hurt economy. It took some time to get things back on track. In Tassie it’s just not possible to maintain the one speed. When we do have overtaking lanes it turns into a GP. It’s a joke but that is another story for a forum that isn't so PC.

We both said on the trip that we thought my car would match the results we were seeing but on reflection I don’t think it would have. The cruise control isn't as good and we used that a lot. Cruise Control hurts economy and I guess this sounds like a contradiction but its tries too hard to maintain speed. It can't read the road conditions ahead and that hurts it when it is trying to accelerate against the road. During the trip a couple of strange things happened. We seemed to be getting better economy in NSW on those horrible concrete roads. We thought perhaps there might be less rolling resistance on that sort of medium but without specifically testing our theory it’s just an ad hoc observations. We were also forced to use Mobil 8000. That seemed to hurt as well.

So I would have had to drive my car without cruise to achieve what Andrew did but it is easier to maintain a set speed than what the F6 is. The refinement of the Boss is deceptive and the 315 even more but the speed out of the F6 at part throttle is pretty much effortless. You are going to be doing demerit point damage easier in Andrews F6 without trying, than you would be in my car.

If I was to take Andrews car to Hobart and back and it was driven for pure economy at the speed limit, it would return 9s of that I am confident. Andrews "other" car achieved 7 something on a similar trip. The first question I asked was it driven the same way. "Hell No".

I think any of the current Ford products offer a great blend of performance and economy and the best part is that the user not some clever sub system, can determine when it should apply.
Old 26-09-2009, 10:58 PM   #14
TS50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thats harsh Ian
Sunroof is for comfort
I have a performance car, I need comfort
Brembos are for reducing speed
I dont like reducing speed
hahahaha
or maybe my signiture is done alphabetically, but in reverse