Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-01-2011, 11:48 AM   #1
sanchoXB

Default RTA Patrol Officers ?

Has anyone heard of this happening? I did a search but couldnt find a thread about it.

A mate of mine was travelling on the New England Hwy (nsw) and overtook a semi trailer, while passing he was travelling a bit quicker than the limit. Next thing there was an AU ute behind him with red & blue lights flashing. He pulled over and a guy gets out of the ute just in thongs, shorts & tshirt and walked up to the car.

My mate asked for some ID and the guy shows him an RTA ID card. The bloke tells him that he is employed by the RTA and has the some authority as a police highway patrol officer. Apparently the only reason he couldnt write my friend a ticket was because he was out of uniform, so he tells him to take it easy and let him go.

Does anyone know about these guys? I have never heard of it in NSW.

sanchoXB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2011, 11:56 AM   #2
Streets
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I dunno about the legal side of it but what he did was foolish. Not even real coppers will pull people over on their own time. He sounds like a bit of a wannabe.
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2011, 12:00 PM   #3
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

An AU ute with lights..thats odd. RTA should be a new car, there is no way id pull over for an AU these days.

We have the same in VIC, Vicroads, and I was under the assumption that they were more after heavy transport than normal civilian cars. But apparently they do have the same powers; id have a funny feeling out by it; generaly id only ever pull over if its the police.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2011, 12:00 PM   #4
g220ba
FGX XR8

I can't speak for NSW but in Victoria Vicroads officers have every right to write you a ticket for speeding. They don't often do it as their main objective is Heavy vehicles.
g220ba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2011, 12:12 PM   #5
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Did your mate get the numberplate of the ute????
I'd report it as someone impersonating a police officer.

correct RTA vehicles at this time for inspection officers are BFII and FG utes at the moment.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2011, 12:19 PM   #6
IAM58L

Rta officers do not have the same authority as a police officer. They can only stop heavy vehicles for inspections as they require police to pull over normal cars to inspect them. As for the ticket your mate didn't get one due to the rta inspector not being able to issue one. If your mate got the vehicle details make a complaint to the RTA about what happened and of course tell them that he was not exceeding the posted speed limit. Sounds like someone wishes he was a highway patrol coppa
Built by me in my shed.
IAM58L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2011, 12:32 PM   #7
FTe342
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

IF that happened to me I would let him know I was recording the conversation on my phone and getting a pic of him and the vehicle

What was your mate driving? This could put a whole different slant on things!
T3 TL50 #147 Silhouette Auto ESS - Brembos - Last of 3 in T3 spec, only AUIII TL50 ever built -14.2 sec @ 98mph bog stock. Only customer ordered T3 TL50 built, only LWB sedan plated AUIII and the last performance enhanced LWB sedan built by Ford Aust.

AUII Fairlane Ghia Sportsman 5.0L in Blue Pearl

OWN THE ROAD
FTe342 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2011, 01:39 PM   #8
tankclare
BURN RUBBER NOT OIL

I have seen RTA fellas pull up a semi on the pacific highway near nabiac. First time I had ever seen it done.

[SMOKES] FG XR6 build thread - http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=4795218#post4795218

tankclare is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2011, 01:44 PM   #9
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

I thought the RTA had two red lights or two orange lights? Was under the impression only the Fire Brigade, Ambulance and Police were allowed red and yellow.

Plus as stated, RTA would have current model vehicles as they'd turn them over every x# of K's.
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2011, 01:47 PM   #10
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchoXB
Has anyone heard of this happening? I did a search but couldnt find a thread about it.

A mate of mine was travelling on the New England Hwy (nsw) and overtook a semi trailer, while passing he was travelling a bit quicker than the limit. Next thing there was an AU ute behind him with red & blue lights flashing. He pulled over and a guy gets out of the ute just in thongs, shorts & tshirt and walked up to the car.

My mate asked for some ID and the guy shows him an RTA ID card. The bloke tells him that he is employed by the RTA and has the some authority as a police highway patrol officer. Apparently the only reason he couldnt write my friend a ticket was because he was out of uniform, so he tells him to take it easy and let him go.

I highly doubr it was an RTA offica.

Firstly they don't use 'red and blue ' lights or AU's, or thongs, or BS excuses 'can't give ya a ticket as I'm out of uniform'.

You mate was pulled over by a poor example of an imposter.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2011, 01:55 PM   #11
Tuddy200
Reaching for 200...

Beaten above.

04' BA XR6 - Blueprint - 6 Speed with Rip Shift - HD Clutch
2.5"/BFGT Exhaust System with Quad Tips - 4490's Extractors
19" ROH Flares - 20% Underdrives - Interior Colour Coded - Sunroof - BOSS Bonnet
Stage 2 Crow Cam's - Crow Cam's Valve Springs - BPR Airbox
M86 LSD Diff with 4.1s - Upgraded Brakes with Slotted DBA 4000's
Leather Interior - Rear Power Windows

Projects Underway: Sound System
Tuddy200 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2011, 03:08 PM   #12
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds like a toss her and one day is going to get his head punched in, deservedly.
Old 27-01-2011, 03:10 PM   #13
Linkachu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In Vic Vicroads is trying to take over the TMU, they are a lot harsher to drivers than TMU are.
Linkachu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2011, 03:15 PM   #14
sanchoXB

I thought as much, either an RTA bloke with a big head or an imposter. My mate does not know his Fords just that it was blue and looked about 10 years old, for all I know it could have been a BA shape. I think I would have told him to get back in his car and p*** off. Apparently the ID looked legit.

Just thought Id put it out there, you never know what new ways the RTA has thought of to get more money out of us. Cheers.
sanchoXB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2011, 03:17 PM   #15
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Whilst im not sure about the details in this incident, i believe having transport inspectors cruising around with the ability to ping dodgy drivers is a fantastic idea.

Who hasnt seen some peanut acting the goat and thought 'wheres the police when they're needed'.
Fact is Police spend a good % of their time chasing criminals etc. so why not have a dedicated 'road rules' department keeping track of non compliant drivers.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2011, 03:38 PM   #16
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I drive on this road daily. If an impersonator pulls me over i will do everything I can to get real cops on to him.
How did he know he was speeding if he was only going slightly faster
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2011, 03:41 PM   #17
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchoXB

That sounds very suspect and I would actually be advising police of the details of that.

RTA do patrol and they do have the power to pull up heavy vehicles on the roadside. They only use newer vehicles (around here they favour Falcon wagons and Nissan Navaras), they have maroon flashing lights (no other colours) and their vehicles are clearly marked.
Old 27-01-2011, 03:41 PM   #18
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8
Whilst im not sure about the details in this incident, i believe having transport inspectors cruising around with the ability to ping dodgy drivers is a fantastic idea.
Yes they're called 'Police'
Old 27-01-2011, 03:49 PM   #19
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Lol. Sounds very suspect to me.

The DOT up here run SV6 Utes with purple flashing lights, and the only people they really target are heavy vehicles (trucks). They also have authority to do roadside inspections on Taxi's.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2011, 03:57 PM   #20
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

QLD transport officers are legally allowed to pull you over no matter what sorta car, truck you drive... Why would it be different in any other state?
As for blue and red, only police and emergency vehicles carry those lights.
Purple is used here in QLD for transport officers vehicles.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2011, 04:10 PM   #21
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
I highly doubr it was an RTA offica.

Firstly they don't use 'red and blue ' lights or AU's, or thongs, or BS excuses 'can't give ya a ticket as I'm out of uniform'.

You mate was pulled over by a poor example of an imposter.

The RTA does use red and blue lights.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2011, 04:13 PM   #22
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
QLD transport officers are legally allowed to pull you over no matter what sorta car, truck you drive... Why would it be different in any other state?
As for blue and red, only police and emergency vehicles carry those lights.
Purple is used here in QLD for transport officers vehicles.
Ive never seen them pull up a car in my life??
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2011, 04:52 PM   #23
FgNewbie
Australia

Any official markings on the car?
Otherwise I'd be reporting any available details.

I got pulled over by an unmarked car in suburbia. Driver out of uniform, I thought it was a detective (general duties were getting around in civvies too at the time) so I really thought I was done.

He flashed his badge too fast so my attitude changed.

The ****a was a customs officer apparently known to the boys in blue.
FgNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2011, 05:46 PM   #24
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT
Ive never seen them pull up a car in my life??
They certainly do all over NTH QLD... and youve never been asked to pull over by one to go over the hand brake machine at a truck stop?

I have seen several pull over guys in modified cars over the years while driving around town.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2011, 06:42 PM   #25
platinumXR
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAM58L
Rta officers do not have the same authority as a police officer. They can only stop heavy vehicles for inspections as they require police to pull over normal cars to inspect them. As for the ticket your mate didn't get one due to the rta inspector not being able to issue one. If your mate got the vehicle details make a complaint to the RTA about what happened and of course tell them that he was not exceeding the posted speed limit. Sounds like someone wishes he was a highway patrol coppa
Kinda, they do have similar authority (much like a Special Constable) to inspect any vehicle on the road and issue defects and the like...but cannot issue speeding tickets and do not have same powers as police. Though they do use red & blue, OR magenta.

No disrespect to your mate, and not knowing what the Inspector saw; but I'd say he thought whatever manouver he saw your mate conduct, he thought it was worthy having a word with him about it.

Sounds like he does wish he was Plod.

If you or your mate are concerned about legitimacy the just give the local Plod his rego etc. and let him explain his actions to them.

Toys:
2017.5 LZ Focus RS, Magnetic Grey my new pocket rocket
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1993 EB2 S-XR8 Sedan, Platinum, manual (now sold)
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(SOLD)

Last edited by platinumXR; 27-01-2011 at 06:54 PM.
platinumXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2011, 06:52 PM   #26
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
The RTA does use red and blue lights.
Since when? It actually states on the RTA website in the rules relating to warning lights and what colours can be used that they use maroon lights only.
Old 27-01-2011, 06:55 PM   #27
platinumXR
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Since when? It actually states on the RTA website in the rules relating to warning lights and what colours can be used that they use maroon lights only.
Certain 'higher ranking' and more official vehicles / Inspector types will use red & blue.

Toys:
2017.5 LZ Focus RS, Magnetic Grey my new pocket rocket
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1993 EB2 S-XR8 Sedan, Platinum, manual (now sold)
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(SOLD)

Last edited by platinumXR; 27-01-2011 at 07:11 PM.
platinumXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2011, 07:10 PM   #28
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Yes they're called 'Police'
Yes, but the 'Police' cant be around to watch over every road can they or we'd see another levy to help fund the extra officers/vehicles too.

If an RTA inspector see's you disobey a road rule whilst he is conducting his regular patrols, why shouldn't they be able to act on it.
They are trained to rule over 40t vehicles, im sure they can handle the odd passenger car.
And anyway, if you arent breaking any laws, whats the problem.

You hear these stories all the time...'but i was only speeding up to pass another vehicle'
Speeding is speeding, no excuses!
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2011, 07:22 PM   #29
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8
Speeding is speeding, no excuses!
Yeah your right, even if you on wrong side of road passing, it doesn't matter.

If you have a head on at 100km/h oh well... as long as you obey the speed limit you will be right. But doing 10 over the limit OMG YOU EVIL PERSON
Old 27-01-2011, 07:29 PM   #30
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

deleted

Last edited by Ben73; 27-01-2011 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Double post