Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-04-2017, 05:20 PM   #1
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Default Dads are our deadliest drivers

Quote:
Over-confident dads cause most Aussie road fatalities

Yahoo7 News
9 April, 2017

Dads are now our deadliest drivers, causing more road fatalities in the past two years than younger drivers, a new study shows.

See link below for video: Dad's have been deemed our deadliest drivers

While drivers aged 17 to 25 have traditionally taken the most risks behind the wheel due to inexperience, it's over-confident older men who are being labelled the country's worst drivers.

A new NSW Centre for Road Safety (CRS) study of 1500 male drivers showed men in the 30 to 49 age group were the highest offenders of over-estimating their skill, driving while drunk and not wearing seatbelts.

Over-confident men aged 30 to 49 are being labelled the country's worst drivers. Picture: 7 News

The group commonly took a relaxed attitude on the roads, expecting their skill and experience will get them out of trouble.

But it's a different story when their children are in the car, with dads taking more precautions when driving others around.

The research showed a trend in older males who were becoming more reckless behind the wheel, in contrast to a rigorous licensing system pulling younger drivers in line, CRS executive director Bernard Carlon told News Corp.

Dads tend to take more precautions when children are in the car. Picture: Centre for Road Safety

“[Men aged 30-49] clearly say that they are such good drivers that no matter what the circumstances are, they would be able to avoid a crash.

“The reality of the numbers is that’s not happening and that, in fact, the number of fatalities are going up.”

He noticed the shift in the age of road fatalities about five years ago while researching driver deaths in commercial vehicles and light trucks, then widened his research to male drivers of all vehicles in the age group.

The findings showed the group was more likely to cause fatal collisions involving drink-driving, failing to wear seat belts and *fatigue than any other.

The study showed older group commonly took a relaxed attitude on the roads, expecting their skill and experience will get them out of trouble. Picture: Centre for Road Safety

Failing to wear a seatbelt was a cause of 26 per cent of road deaths among the 30-49 age group in 2015 and 2016, compared to 17 per cent of fatalities in younger motorists.

“[The older age group] are taking more risks than other drivers,” Mr Carlon said.

“They definitely think that their skill and ability is going to mitigate against those risks.

“The tragic outcome from this is it’s actually someone else’s family. We need to protect everybody in the road environment. If you are driving on your own, even then we don’t want to lose your life.”

Emergency crews at the scene of the a fatal crash. Photo: 7News

The study also found 91 per cent of the 80 male drivers in the 30 to 49 year old group who were killed in NSW road incidents in the past two years were sole occupants of their vehicles.

In contrast, 67 per cent of deaths in the 17 to 25 age group were drivers who were alone in their cars.

NSW Roads Minister Melinda Pavey urged parents to set a better example for their children.

“Every time you get behind the wheel you should imagine you are carrying all the most precious people in your life,” she said.

See link below for video: Australia's worst drivers

https://au.news.yahoo.com/nsw/a/3496...r-study/#page1

Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2017, 05:52 PM   #2
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Dads are our deadliest drivers

It's just a pity they used flawed data to achieve that result.
I guess it makes headlines though.
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2017, 05:52 PM   #3
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

The question that needs to be asked....

There has always been male drivers in the 30 to 49 age group on our roads.

So why now, in only the last 2 years have this demographic group now caused more road fatalities than younger drivers?
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2017, 07:16 PM   #4
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAXRSIX View Post

So why now, in only the last 2 years have this demographic group now caused more road fatalities than younger drivers?
They haven't. The data has been skewed to make it appear that way.

Scaled Business Solutions
For Your Small Business IT Needs
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2017, 07:18 PM   #5
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAXRSIX View Post

No .. probably less young ones getting their licence ... due to other more important things like facetwit. They get their Dad's to drive them around
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-04-2017, 07:34 PM   #6
.:4:.
Kicking back

Mind you I'm at the low end of that pigeon hole (30 and my son is 8 in august) and I find I don't take uncalclated risks at all and am somewhat careful on the roads. I just want to make it home in 1 piece. Don't get me wrong, I will find out what a car can and can't do in the local industrial park when I get them so I know what they can or can't do. There are enough over enthusiastic drivers to warrent not being one. When I'm at work (off at the moment) I do over 100 kays a day usually and I see some interesting antics. I don't get paid to drive, it's not in my job description, however I have to drive to get paid.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-04-2017, 07:54 PM   #7
Itsme
Experienced Member

Who cares, another beat up story!
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2017, 08:39 PM   #8
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Two weeks ago it was millennials now this. In two week itll be female lib voters aged between 47 and 49.5.
Old 09-04-2017, 10:00 PM   #9
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Another one of those "We're going to show you the stats/pics they didn't want you to see" from the increasingly BS media. Another reason why I don't watch TV news anymore.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2017, 09:51 AM   #10
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

I would have thought the fake news would be too busy with Trump's missile attack on Syria to bother writing this mess.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2017, 11:09 AM   #11
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG17 View Post
It's just a pity they used flawed data to achieve that result.
I guess it makes headlines though.
I forgot to add that I'm nowhere near that demographic either so there's no bias with my comment.
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2017, 12:50 PM   #12
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm pretty sure it's just anyone with a baby on board sticker.
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2017, 12:52 PM   #13
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Much ado about nothing. Anyone remember the news article of some poor old sod who got done for 160 in the Wimmera driving his Magna? He probably done that for years down the back roads with no issue until mr plod decided to be a hero and start enforcing the back roads.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-04-2017, 02:47 PM   #14
Ashdaw

Isn't it wonderful that again, men are the problem? I can see that whoever thought of making this story as sensational as they could, have never been outside a school in the mornings or afternoon when the female of the species is out in their people carriers, with baby on board stickers and those silly family stickers picking up kids?
Old 10-04-2017, 04:49 PM   #15
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

9news dropped the overconfident out of its story title & now its "Dads overtake 17 to 25 y/o's as NSW's most deadly drivers"..

The lengths journo's will go for a Walkely Award or they are going into bat for Uber et al' lol!!!

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2017, 04:53 PM   #16
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Ban Men!!!!!!!!!

That ought to do it.

Ffffzzzzghghghhaaa
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2017, 05:38 PM   #17
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

They have to make something up given known stereotypes are not politically correct to write about.
I have been watching Highway Patrol Australia on YouTube. More truth in that than a random fabrication by media.
Falcon Coupe is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2017, 06:42 PM   #18
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Gee you guys are sensitive. Home truths struck a chord much?
Where in that article does it give ground to doubt the statistics! Ignorant parents parked badly outside the school are not dying in their dozens.
I find it amazing the statistic on belt use and drink driving in this day and age. Economic pressures surely contributing to the phenomena.
If your not part of the problem dont worry. Dont feel emasculated. Its not a war on qwidgebo yet.

JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2017, 07:13 PM   #19
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpblue1000 View Post
Gee you guys are sensitive. Home truths struck a chord much?
Where in that article does it give ground to doubt the statistics! Ignorant parents parked badly outside the school are not dying in their dozens.
I find it amazing the statistic on belt use and drink driving in this day and age. Economic pressures surely contributing to the phenomena.
If your not part of the problem dont worry. Dont feel emasculated. Its not a war on qwidgebo yet.

JP
The "data" generated by the CRS is worth less than the belly button fluff found in most of the belly buttons of their sample. Agenda driven "studies" being touted as science are to be taken with a grain of salt.

There are two reasons why this was published, someone wants more grant money and govco needs a new target for revenue.

Scaled Business Solutions
For Your Small Business IT Needs

Last edited by Trump; 10-04-2017 at 07:21 PM.
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-04-2017, 10:46 PM   #20
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Remember something that they dont say, in Victoria around 50% of single vehicle fatalities are suicides. so quote "
The study also found 91 per cent of the 80 male drivers in the 30 to 49 year old group who were killed in NSW road incidents in the past two years were sole occupants of their vehicles." 50% of them will also be suicides.
See how they say they say a certian % are not wearing seat belts and die? er.. are the writers of the article stupid? Defenite suicides there.

I really do not see why suicides are included in the road toll. they really shouldnt be.
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2017, 10:47 PM   #21
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDManual View Post
Remember something that they dont say, in Victoria around 50% of single vehicle fatalities are suicides. so quote "
The study also found 91 per cent of the 80 male drivers in the 30 to 49 year old group who were killed in NSW road incidents in the past two years were sole occupants of their vehicles." 50% of them will also be suicides.
See how they say they say a certian % are not wearing seat belts and die? er.. are the writers of the article stupid? Defenite suicides there.

I really do not see why suicides are included in the road toll. they really shouldnt be.
Agreed.
Old 10-04-2017, 11:00 PM   #22
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Reason is simple. Govco can claim the suiciding driver was "SPEEDING", so reinforcing their argument to the empty heads that even 1km over the speed limit promotes wholesale road slaughter so we have to keep you safe with "speed cameras".
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2017, 11:02 PM   #23
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Always annoys me this "failing to wear seatbelt" thing! Ok, so there may be the odd drunk that doesnt put on his belt and stacks... but seriously have you ever seen a normal a to b driver with no seatbelt on? I have been driving for 25 years all over the place and have NEVER noticed even one. So sure there may be a farmer that may not wear one here and there, but the rest are suicides surely, I mean, drive into a tree or whatever at 100kmh and take off your seatbelt. Thats what most are.
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2017, 11:13 PM   #24
Kicking back

Quote:
Always annoys me this "failing to wear seatbelt" thing! Ok, so there may be the odd drunk that doesnt put on his belt and stacks... but seriously have you ever seen a normal a to b driver with no seatbelt on? I have been driving for 25 years all over the place and have NEVER noticed even one. So sure there may be a farmer that may not wear one here and there, but the rest are suicides surely, I mean, drive into a tree or whatever at 100kmh and take off your seatbelt. Thats what most are.
The guy I did my apprenticeship under was a bandit for no seat belt. Both that and undies, just wouldn't do either. He had/has no death wish but his parents never inforced it so he just didn't.
Old 10-04-2017, 11:48 PM   #25
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trump View Post
The "data" generated by the CRS is worth less than the belly button fluff found in most of the belly buttons of their sample. Agenda driven "studies" being touted as science are to be taken with a grain of salt.

There are two reasons why this was published, someone wants more grant money and govco needs a new target for revenue.
But where in the article does it reference what the data was, how it was collected and used?
A bias against a organisation that holds a different opinion to you does not make anecdotes evidence. Ask first has the method and data been independently peer tested.

Dont know where you've been living edmanual but the number if belts I've seen hanging in the breeze or out the door beggars belief in major cities too!
JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2017, 12:32 AM   #26
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

While I suspect most people i know wear seatbelts (especially in modern cars... BEEP BEEP BEEP BUGGER PFF!), i honestly have no doubt there's plenty of people who don't. Do you actively look in every car you pass to see if someone is wearing a belt?

You can't just assume that if someone dies alone in a single vehicle accident it's suicide. Some may be, sure. But hell. Doing something stupid in a car isn't an active suicide. I suspect the woman in a black car driving behind me with no lights on tonight was looking to top herself, but she sure was making it difficult for other road users to see her.

While suicide is a problem, idiocy is a far bigger one.
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2017, 12:41 AM   #27
Kicking back

There are alot who are just impatient or distracted. When I had a van and sat up higher, it wasn't uncommon in traffic to see people eating bowls of cereal, women putting their face on, and on occasion women in skirts Umm (enough on that). These things should be done at home.
Old 11-04-2017, 10:42 AM   #28
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Over the years I've noticed a large number of people that don't wear belts, you get a pretty good view from a Truck.

In over 40 years of driving Trucks Interstate I've never worn a seat belt.
Having said that, I never leave the driveway in a car without putting one on.
Old 11-04-2017, 10:55 AM   #29
290v
290v

so they are saying in 20 yrs time it will be the 50 to 69 yr old that will be the worst drivers
----------so we are breading them out of the system!
2 users like this post:
Old 11-04-2017, 12:04 PM   #30
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 

I wonder if this guy falls into that category...Happened across the road from my work yesterday. The driver would have been late forties / early fifties?

https://youtu.be/zyaOAmuac2o

This was the end result after fishtailing it up the street, losing it, then taking out the gate post & fence...

Sorry about the crappy pics.