Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-01-2009, 05:43 PM   #1
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Default HID upgrade

A thread in another part of the forum re HIDs' and legality of it in a retro fit prompted me to chase up the fitting of HIDs' to the 'lane so I thought I'd share my experience today...........

OK, I am going to upgrade my high beams to HID. So to that end I've spent alot of last night and today reading and wading through heaps of opinions on various forums plus ADR regs and state regs etc to get an answer. So today I've been on the phone to firstly the federal transport dept. and explained exactly what I wanted to do , that is, upgrade ONLY the dedicated high beam driving lights in the front of my 'lane and NOT the low beams which in my case are dedicated low beams as apposed to a H4 hi/lo setup. As far as I could acertain from reading the ADRs', before my head started hurting,lol, all the pertinent regs pertain to new vehicles and more specifically to the low beam, ( called "dipped beam" or "passing beam" in the ADR regs.) with similar regs for retro fitting but again, only mentioning the low beam. When I said I only wanted to upgrade the dedicated driving lights and it was no different than putting HID spotties on the front of the car they had no problem with it but told me that the state RTA had the final say. So I rang the RTA technical section and explained what I wanted to do and was told that as long as it's white light and meets ADR then no problem, go ahead. So there was the legalities out of the way. Then I phoned my insurance company and explained what I wanted to do and who I'd been speaking to and what I'd been told and they (CGU) said no problem go ahead. So I got them to notarise on the policy that I'd modified the high beam driving lights to HID and that it was ok and wouldn't void my insurance, JOB DONE :

So there ya go, it can be done as long as you don't mess with your low beam and only upgrade the high beam because, as stated, it's essentially no different than bolting on HID spotties.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2009, 06:06 PM   #2
eyes87
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i upgraded all my lights to hid. the ones that i got fitted are adr approved. i don't know how or why because they're not ment to be but it said on the box they came in that they were. i can't remember the brand now tho
eyes87 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2009, 09:45 PM   #3
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the LIGHTS would be ADR approved.. but the lense you have fitted them into will NOT be ADR approved with HID lights fitted

the HID items focus differently to normal Halogen lights due to the position of the lighting portion of the lights

nobody would even know if your high beams were HID unless you forgot to dip them with a cop car on comming

bushbasher let me know how they go tho as Im interested for my Fairlane's high beams
Old 12-01-2009, 10:16 PM   #4
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For Australian users, local regulations require the following conditions to be met in order to have an HID system in place:

• The headlamps of the vehicle must be correctly aligned.
• The vehicle must be fitted with an automatic headlamp leveling
system.
• The vehicle must be fitted with an automatic headlight cleaning
system.
so retrofitting low beam is illegal on all australian made as none have the requirement as listed above

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2009, 12:39 AM   #5
xr8edute
Thats right baby X-rated

Default I love W.A.

I recently fitted a full set (low beam and high beam) of HID globes to my 04 XR8 ute. After reading about them being illegal and everything i decided i better find out for my self.

I did the same thing, i called my insurance company (R.A.C) told them what i have done, no problems sir it's now noted and all legit.
Then went down to the local licensing centre and took the ute over, explained to the nice men there, they made their phone calls to who ever they needed to and .... whola "No problems mate". Certificate and everything.

See fellas, sometimes it pays to be two hours behind most of the rest of Australia. ha ha

Cheers

RIP The Gentleman, Peter Brock 1945-2006
I cant believe they demolished that fatefull tree!!!
xr8edute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2009, 12:41 AM   #6
DJL351
XR & FPV Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8edute
I recently fitted a full set (low beam and high beam) of HID globes to my 04 XR8 ute. After reading about them being illegal and everything i decided i better find out for my self.

I did the same thing, i called my insurance company (R.A.C) told them what i have done, no problems sir it's now noted and all legit.
Then went down to the local licensing centre and took the ute over, explained to the nice men there, they made their phone calls to who ever they needed to and .... whola "No problems mate". Certificate and everything.

See fellas, sometimes it pays to be two hours behind most of the rest of Australia. ha ha

Cheers
Where did you get them from?
2005 BF GT (6sp manual - Build #183)
2015 SZ MkII Territory Titanium
2016.75 LZ Focus Sport

Quote:
probably the stupidist post on aff - congrats
Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
There was once a time when every young man in this country was familiar with firearms and many owned them privately along with a stock of ammo and some bush gear.

Now the best we can hope for is to unfriend them on facebook then SMS their commanders with !!!1!!!!!!11!1!! and then finally plank a tank.......
DJL351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2009, 05:43 AM   #7
Macca23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

britax supply h4 low & high beam Hid kits complete! around $450 for the kit. Seen it in my local 4wd shop.
Macca23 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2009, 11:04 AM   #8
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the self leveling is in the headlight it self (The accord euros have it and the toyota aristo's etc (lexus)

the cleaners are just sprayers on the bumper facing the lense

you can retro fit all this but its a major stuff around
Old 13-01-2009, 12:02 PM   #9
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8edute

Cheers
regardless of what you have been told your low beams are illegal, according to ADRs you don't have headlight auto leveling or cleaning and these are mandatory on all HID fitted cars in australia. the RTA have gotten it wrong and unless you have it in writing from them you can get done, even if you do they can force you to comply with ADRs they just wouldn't be able to fine you

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2009, 12:25 PM   #10
xr8edute
Thats right baby X-rated

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJL351
Where did you get them from?
Ebay is your friend DJ

Old 13-01-2009, 12:30 PM   #11
xr8edute
Thats right baby X-rated

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
regardless of what you have been told your low beams are illegal, according to ADRs you don't have headlight auto leveling or cleaning and these are mandatory on all HID fitted cars in australia. the RTA have gotten it wrong and unless you have it in writing from them you can get done, even if you do they can force you to comply with ADRs they just wouldn't be able to fine you
Thats probably correct mate. But as most of you know, as long as you can show some sort of proof that you have tried to do the right thing most police officers will be fine.

And any way, it's only a five minute job to put it back to standard. Hardest part is getting those little metal clips back on correctly. ha ha.

The reason i fitted these HID's in the first place was that i was sick of blowing High beam globes. I would go through about 4 a year i guess, different sides too. Didn't matter if it was standard wattage, blue vision, plus 30's or anything. Oh and of course the major reason was so i would look cool!!!!!!!!! ha ha. Just jokes.

Cheers guys