Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 02-08-2009, 11:22 AM   #31
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VioletGT
Yeh i know what u mean and never give the police any attitude at all when they pull me over i just agree and go along with what they tell me... I see ALOT ALOT ALOT of loud cars but all apear stock even bikes e.g harleys.. So i think even if i cant keep it down to a legal point as long as it apears stock and a tad loud im sure they will turn the other way.. BTW i saw an xa in silver with a manual go a 10 on the 29th july at wsid was that you?
Yes mate that was me, you should have come over and said hi..
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2009, 12:45 PM   #32
VioletGT
Slow Sunday driver

I should have i will know for next time... When i saw your car first burnout i thaught hmm its not that loud and then i saw the pass and man it looks like a wild ride with the stick. i think the first pass i saw u went 10.0 was that correct? next run got abit wobly and last 1 i saw was 10.6 . Very nice mate! what tyres u running and how much horse? what about nitrous?
VioletGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2009, 01:14 PM   #33
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VioletGT
I should have i will know for next time... When i saw your car first burnout i thaught hmm its not that loud and then i saw the pass and man it looks like a wild ride with the stick. i think the first pass i saw u went 10.0 was that correct? next run got abit wobly and last 1 i saw was 10.6 . Very nice mate! what tyres u running and how much horse? what about nitrous?
First pass was 11.002 with a 1.8 60', very hard to get it off the line with a stick and circuit suspension.
next pass I was on track for a 10.5 at 133 or so going off the incrementals, shifting at a little higher rpm's, but it stepped out real hard punching into 3rd and I had to get off it, next ended up running a 10.8 at 130 again with a not so good 60' and got kicked out, Its hard getting power down and the shifts perfect every run with the manual,
wont be a next time for a while unfortunalely as I need a tech inspection, license and fire suit, I dont really think I will bother as Im more into circuit racing the car, if I do go back it will probably be street tyres and running 11's at 130+ ..

Tyres were a 28x9 et slick, and it shows about 700hp by the moroso, made 722 on an engine dyno on BP98, no nitrous N/A all the way, not even a bonnet scoop, drive out drive home street car..

Last edited by nugget378; 02-08-2009 at 01:22 PM.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:53 PM   #34
TruBlu351
3 Pedals R Better Than 2

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has given endless help in the cleveland section over the years. Knows his stuff and happily tests on the track and gives no fuss results. 

Tony is running a Sneeky Pete 100 shot under bench seat :

TruBlu351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2009, 03:44 PM   #35
VioletGT
Slow Sunday driver

Thats a great job there man! You must be cheering
VioletGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2009, 11:39 PM   #36
HP-0351
1409hp 1190lb.ft 18psi...

Tony are any cages legit for the street these days?

I'm thinking of adding one to the XW, possibly just a bolt in for the track...

Funny how you get used to engine power, I'm starting to itch for more again and I haven't even run it down the strip yet!

Cheers fellas

The Daily 2003 BA GT Falcon http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11367185

The Weekender: 1971 Twin Turbo XY Falcon
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....=twin+turbo+xy
HP-0351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2009, 01:12 AM   #37
nugget378
Weezland

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruBlu351
Tony is running a Sneeky Pete 100 shot under bench seat :
Ive fitted an after burner from an obsolete F111

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP-0351
Tony are any cages legit for the street these days?

I'm thinking of adding one to the XW, possibly just a bolt in for the track...

Funny how you get used to engine power, I'm starting to itch for more again and I haven't even run it down the strip yet!

Cheers fellas
They are a not allowed anymore by the RTA, but there are ways around it with the help of an engineer, it involves some paper shuffling, PM me if you want specific info.
A bolt in really isnt much use if you want it passed ny andra, mine has had a pre tech done but Im not going to follow through with it since andra raised the cost of the license, not worth it for the 2 or 3 times a year I would take it to the strip..
Old 05-08-2009, 10:51 AM   #38
TruBlu351
3 Pedals R Better Than 2

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has given endless help in the cleveland section over the years. Knows his stuff and happily tests on the track and gives no fuss results. 

Hey Tony,

I've been researching the cage thing quite a bit lately and have dug up some info.....

My local engineer up in Newy gave me the specs required by the RTA when installing both a 4 or 6 point cage.

The RTA prefers only 4 point, but the regs say, "should you require a 6 point..." and goes on to explain the required specs. If there was a blanket rule on 6 points, the RTA wouldn't even bother listing the required specs.

There's been plenty of news around the engineers over the last few years regarding this. Apparently, a few years back, some chick with a big chip on her shoulder climbed the leadership ladder in the RTA and started shooting from the hip. She had absolutely no engineering background or qualifications.....just some cornflake box certificate in HR or something bodgy.

Anyway....she sent out a letter to all engineering signatories stating all sorts of garbage, one being that there is a blanket ban on all 6 point cages and any engineer who signed off on one would have their signatory ticket cancelled. This came purely from her opinion and made no reference to the existing RTA engineering rules on the topic, and to this date, the rules have not been changed or cancelled regarding the topic. If this was the case, the RTA would have issued ammendents either changing or cancelling the related regs that all the signatories abide by.

This chick got so many complaints that she has now been given the flick, but the fear she struck into many signatories still lingers on.....and quite a few still quote this letter as a regulation ammendment, but it has no authority.

So according to my local engineer, who is purely going on the RTA regs and not some letter, says I'm good to go on the 6 point!!

A few other things....don't quote me on this...

If you cut the car floor pan up, apparently ANDRA requires a 6 point.

If you cut the chassis (re-weld etc), ANDRA wants WELDED side intrusion bars. These are a no-no on the RTA list which states removeable side intrusion bars - but I believe some fabricators can get creative and fit bent ones that follow the contours of the seat and don't get in the way?

Just some food for thought.

Old 05-08-2009, 11:46 AM   #39
nugget378
Weezland

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruBlu351
Hey Tony,

I've been researching the cage thing quite a bit lately and have dug up some info.....

My local engineer up in Newy gave me the specs required by the RTA when installing both a 4 or 6 point cage.

The RTA prefers only 4 point, but the regs say, "should you require a 6 point..." and goes on to explain the required specs. If there was a blanket rule on 6 points, the RTA wouldn't even bother listing the required specs.

There's been plenty of news around the engineers over the last few years regarding this. Apparently, a few years back, some chick with a big chip on her shoulder climbed the leadership ladder in the RTA and started shooting from the hip. She had absolutely no engineering background or qualifications.....just some cornflake box certificate in HR or something bodgy.

Anyway....she sent out a letter to all engineering signatories stating all sorts of garbage, one being that there is a blanket ban on all 6 point cages and any engineer who signed off on one would have their signatory ticket cancelled. This came purely from her opinion and made no reference to the existing RTA engineering rules on the topic, and to this date, the rules have not been changed or cancelled regarding the topic. If this was the case, the RTA would have issued ammendents either changing or cancelling the related regs that all the signatories abide by.

This chick got so many complaints that she has now been given the flick, but the fear she struck into many signatories still lingers on.....and quite a few still quote this letter as a regulation ammendment, but it has no authority.

So according to my local engineer, who is purely going on the RTA regs and not some letter, says I'm good to go on the 6 point!!

A few other things....don't quote me on this...

If you cut the car floor pan up, apparently ANDRA requires a 6 point.

If you cut the chassis (re-weld etc), ANDRA wants WELDED side intrusion bars. These are a no-no on the RTA list which states removeable side intrusion bars - but I believe some fabricators can get creative and fit bent ones that follow the contours of the seat and don't get in the way?

Just some food for thought.
Thats interesting Adrian, as I was told they were a blanket ban when I was doing mine.

Possibly some engineers are fostering this stance, to justify a higher fee for "sorting it"?
A 6 point would require the car registered as a 2 seater due to the taxi bar, so I have been told, and the hoop over the winscreen is another problem area, as it interferes with the sunvisors.

With the weld in intrusion bars, The andra tech inspector was happy to pass mine with the bolt in bars even though I have a modified monocoque with the subframe connectors (not sure how it would go with tubs though), because of the quality of work and being familiar with the guy who did it, it may be worth talking to an andra tech and see if you can get away with it, as weld in bars are a pain to live with outside of racing, although the point is mute for me now as Im not going through with final tech or log booking the car, I dont even bolt the intrusion bar in at all anymore, recing or not, it's a pain climbing in and out.

I can give you the tech guy's contact details I used if you like mate.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:12 PM   #40
TruBlu351
3 Pedals R Better Than 2

The ANDRA tech contact details would be great....thanks! It's always best to get as much info as possible before the grinder comes out : If I could get away with removeable side instrusions, that would be great.

I just don't think the news has got out about this previous RTA person. I recently spoke to several well known fabricators in Syd and they got those letters from the RTA which I spoke about, but didn't know the rest of the story.

As you said, the sun visors and rear vision mirror need to stay inplace or massaged a little as required.....and the bars aren't allowed to obscure any vision.

Yeah, now becomes registered as a 2 seater.....or 3 with a bench

There are also certain clearance limits from the drivers head when seated to the front overhead bars. There's a drawing in the regs on how to work it out. Normally, the stealthy cages like yours that hug the inside of the body are OK. You could also lower your seat bracket mounts to get some more clearance if required.

Standard seatbelts are still required too.....can't ditch them if using a harness too.